Where will Giancar-go? The Yankees.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Where will Giancar-go? The Yankees.

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Giancarlo to the Giants seems like best case scenario for us? They're not good enough in the short term for him to really make a difference, and his injury concerns/coming decline would leave them with a huge contract albatross after a few years.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Where will Giancar-go?

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I think true best case would always be in the AL, but if he's getting traded to an NL team then the Giants seem like the best realistic option for us. In particular because if the Cardinals strike out on Stanton, then they're turning to trying to talk the Jays into trading for Donaldson(which they might not care to do and Donaldson is 1 year from FA) or something even worse(trading for Ozuna, signing Cargo, etc).
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm

If that's the return ... well, color me a bit surprised they didn't try for Ramos or Duggar. Maybe Jeter's development folks see something, but Panik/Beede/Shaw? That's not much. Granted, it's the money that matters the most to them. Anyhow, Gordon was on the move anyways, and Shaw may be enough to convince them to shop Bour.

The GIants were probably always the favorite, because they were the only team desperate enough to eat a huge chunk of the money. Assuming Bumgarner is back to normal and Cueto bounces back a bit, they look interesting enough, particularly if this is all that it costs them. I think Melancon will be fine, but a bit more tinkering in the pen and maybe another bat would put the finishing touches on the off-season for the Giants.

Anyhow, tweet reads as if the Giants aren't certain on taking on all that money, so it's probably not done yet.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Man, praise Jah the Cubs have Kris Bryant.
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:54 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/936293482783805440

Giancarlo to the Giants seems like best case scenario for us? They're not good enough in the short term for him to really make a difference, and his injury concerns/coming decline would leave them with a huge contract albatross after a few years.

Yeah, I think besides going to the AL this is probably a best case scenario. Maybe the Rockies, but that'll never happen lol. I was thinking if he went to the Phillies that that would also work out well for the Cubs. The Phillies are still behind the Mets and Nationals, and it'll be a few more years before they're true contenders again.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:34 am

he should veto every trade that's not to a home run friendly park. that's what i would do, since he's already got the money.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:31 am

Seems like he’s gonna be going there or this is a last minute ploy by Stanton/his reps/Marlins to get the Dodgers in on it.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:24 am

I'm guessing they'd slide Arroyo in at 2nd, have some sort of Span/Pence time-share, and then find a CF (or let Slater/Duggar get a shot at it). They'd have to find some hits in the pen, but, while the margin of error is thin, it's possible to envision a competitive club.

Actually, what I'm more interested in, off-season wise, is if this trade goes through early enough, could the Marlins shop former Cubs farmhand Justin Bour. It's possible they hold onto him, but with Chris Shaw in, a similar-ish player who is borderline ready, Bour might be a cheap positive asset that they could stick with say, Martin Prado, and see if a team will bite.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 am

There's Hosmer, Morrison, Santana, Alonso, Duda, Reynolds, and Moreland on the FA market and Abreu available in trade. I don't see a team going for Bour with a bad contract attached.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Peter G w/ an update. period.

0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

The Cubs.

Go get 'em, Theo.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Cardinals for sure.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 pm

If/when the Giants get him I really don't get it, they are more than a Stanton away and if they really are cool with committing to $300 million this offseason idk why they wouldn't just go sign like 1 of Fraizer/Moustakas/Walker for 3B, 2 or 3 of Cain, Gomez, Cargo, Bautista, Jay, Kendrick for the OF, a Tillman, Garcia, Vargas type for some rotation innings at the back end and then like 2-3 of the middle tier FA RP like Nicasio, McGee, Kintzler, etc. That would be a more well rounded and competitive team, imo and probably can get it for less than the commitment on taking on all of Stanton's contract with room to still jump in to next years FA bonanza.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:If/when the Giants get him I really don't get it, they are more than a Stanton away and if they really are cool with committing to $300 million this offseason idk why they wouldn't just go sign like 1 of Fraizer/Moustakas/Walker for 3B, 2 or 3 of Cain, Gomez, Cargo, Bautista, Jay, Kendrick for the OF, a Tillman, Garcia, Vargas type for some rotation innings at the back end and then like 2-3 of the middle tier FA RP like Nicasio, McGee, Kintzler, etc. That would be a more well rounded and competitive team, imo and probably can get it for less than the commitment on taking on all of Stanton's contract with room to still jump in to next years FA bonanza.

You're right, but signing all of those players probably wouldn't put as many fans in the seats as getting Stanton.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:18 am

5 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy's Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammy's Boombox » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If/when the Giants get him I really don't get it, they are more than a Stanton away and if they really are cool with committing to $300 million this offseason idk why they wouldn't just go sign like 1 of Fraizer/Moustakas/Walker for 3B, 2 or 3 of Cain, Gomez, Cargo, Bautista, Jay, Kendrick for the OF, a Tillman, Garcia, Vargas type for some rotation innings at the back end and then like 2-3 of the middle tier FA RP like Nicasio, McGee, Kintzler, etc. That would be a more well rounded and competitive team, imo and probably can get it for less than the commitment on taking on all of Stanton's contract with room to still jump in to next years FA bonanza.

You're right, but signing all of those players probably wouldn't put as many fans in the seats as getting Stanton.

I don’t think the Giants have any issues with attendance (3rd in MLB in 2017). I’d imagine a competitive team puts more people in the stands than Stanton on a bad team.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:10 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

I don’t think the Giants have any issues with attendance (3rd in MLB in 2017). I’d imagine a competitive team puts more people in the stands than Stanton on a bad team.

Signing all of those players might make them win more games. but still wouldn't be competitive with the Dodgers.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Awful choices. He can decide to lose to the Cubs or the Dodgers.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 pm

davell wrote:Awful choices. He can decide to lose to the Cubs or the Dodgers.

He’d fit great on the Red Sox.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm

Sammy's Boombox wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

The actual numbers look good but the bodies in seats went way down last year. You could get secondary market tickets for dirt cheap even in April and May. I imagine they won't sell nearly the same number of tickets before the season like they did last year and if they're a mediocre or bad team again, attendance will drop.

They've had a great run in this park because they had Bonds through 2007, and then got good in 2009. The only bad year they had without Bonds was 2008 and attendance dropped by 350K. 2009 they had he same attendance and won 88 games, and I would guess they got a boost in attendance the second half of the year when they were chasing a playoff spot.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:03 pm

the cardinals wanna pay a guy $30 million a year for the rest of his life while also collecting competitive balance picks
7 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:the cardinals wanna pay a guy $30 million a year for the rest of his life while also collecting competitive balance picks

yeah, it's pretty cool

deal is down if he says ok
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 am

Giancarlo has leverage to try and force his way to the Dodgers, but it's hard for me to see Friedman taking on any major portion of that salary, which is what the Marlins want. If the Marlins stay firm with their threat to move other assets like Ozuna/Yelich/Realmuto and leave Stanton on a bad team, then it'll be in Stanton's court to see if he's willing to stick it out.

At the end of the day, I think Stanton sucks it up and goes to the Giants. Just hard to see him wanting to stick it out there. Of course, maybe he has doubts about the Giants viability long run ....
0 x

Return to “Transactions”