Manny Machado Traded to the Dodgers

Enn Tea
All-Star

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado - (Cubs in talks per Levine)

Postby Enn Tea » Tue May 08, 2018 4:04 pm

Maybe if a deal can be made with Happ going back as the main piece Id be excited about it. I doubt it, though, so id rather keep Russell and get Harper next year.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:04 pm

No thanks
1 x
Screw Pitchers

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Enn Tea wrote:Maybe if a deal can be made with Happ going back as the main piece Id be excited about it. I doubt it, though, so id rather keep Russell and get Harper next year.

Why not both?
0 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I don't expect the division to end up all that close, and I don't think a Machado deal makes sense unless it stays this close into late July. Even then, I'm not comfortable giving up pieces beyond Addy except for fringe guys like Tseng/Zagunis/etc.

While I prefer Harper, I could probably be convinced that Machado is the better play this winter though.
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue May 08, 2018 4:25 pm

davell wrote:
Derwood wrote:So what are the Cubs willing to give up for a rental? I can’t inagine he signs an extension without testing the market

Article says Addy, plus pitching, plus an OF.....

My complete GUESS would be something like Addy, Monty, Lange or Little, and a guy like Zagunis.

And that's really steep, in my eyes, but worth it, if we keep him. But yeah, he's hitting FA. Getting him here though could obviously help in KEEPING him here.

Despite Russell's disappointing start, it seems like an irresponsible risk to give up on him for 3 months of Machado knowing the odds of re-signing him is unlikely
3 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 08, 2018 4:26 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Derwood wrote:So what are the Cubs willing to give up for a rental? I can’t inagine he signs an extension without testing the market

Logistically it'd have to be Russell or Baez, barring injury. Unless the price somehow drops to prospects, it doesn't make much sense otherwise. Any sort of Schwarber/Happ/Almora package comes with a corresponding drop off in the outfield, and we're probably only talking about adding a win or two going from Baez/Russell to Machado by the time the trade gets done.

We're not trading Baez for Machado. I don't even know if we'd be willing to trade Baez for a young cost-controlled SP at this point. The Cubs made Baez and Russell available this past offseason, but they didn't like the trade offers and I don't know how serious they were about breaking up their SS/2B combo.

I don't think the Cubs can afford Machado and Harper, even if Heyward miraculously decided to opt-out and we offloaded Zobrist's full salary. So, if they trade for Machado I think it's a rental all the way.

I might be willing to include Addison + J. Wilson for Machado + M. Givens + some prospects, but I don't know if that would get it done. The Orioles don't strike me as a very forward thinking organization that looks at defensive metrics or new ways of measuring defense. Addison's value is almost completely on defense right now. Yeah, I mean he's young, has shown power in the past and is cost-controlled too.

I don't like Russell's approach at the plate and I stated I felt like Baez is the better player with a higher upside last year. It's too early to say I was definitely right, but Baez is better so far this season. Addison isn't this bad at the plate and I have no clue what happened to his power.

I don't think Machado is getting moved anytime soon. I'm not totally opposed to trading for him, but it's going to be a tough trade to make considering it'll probably be just a rental.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Tue May 08, 2018 4:27 pm

The article seems more speculative than anything else. I'm having a hard time envisioning this going anywhere.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:30 pm

I don’t buy it and it’s Gordo who doesn’t seem to have any real info. I think it would be a foolish trade since it doesn’t move the needle much and would be too much to give up for a rental. If they want Machado sign him in the offseason and use Russell for a relief pitcher (Hand?) or something else. I still prefer Bryce though and just keep Russell.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:38 pm

I think/hope that the upcoming Harper/Machado free agency has been talked about for so long that Theo has a very good idea of how much it'll take to get either, their interest in going to that level, and their ability to sign one of them if they are willing to go that far (no team is signing both of them). If he's ran those numbers and decided Machado is the better target for the offseason (and that we'd have a good shot of retaining/signing him), then by all means go for it now, as I think a package led by Addy or Baez would be the best they're going to get, and one of them would have to go anyways. If not, as others have said, it doesn't move the needle enough for a rental.

This is a tangent, but I'm still not sold on Baez>Russell going forward. I think there's some dissonance between Javy Baez, human highlight reel, and Javy Baez, effective baseball player, especially on the defensive side of the ball.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Give 'em Rizzo instead.

Guys, you should pay attention to my really, really good idea.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm

And then thank me later when it happens.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Tue May 08, 2018 4:42 pm

the orioles are not getting anything close to addison russell value for half a season of machado. position players are nice and great, but they just can’t be expected to alter a playoff series like a dominant starter or reliever, so teams just can’t talk themselves into overpaying the same way.
2 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 08, 2018 5:05 pm

Pass. Russell is going to be fine. And that's way too much to give up for a rental.
2 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Duke Silver wrote:Pass. Russell is going to be fine. And that's way too much to give up for a rental.

yeah no matter how hard some of cubs twitter tries to push that this insane idea is somehow good, i will never be on board with it.
2 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Watch Russell become the latest Cubs cast off to learn to hit once he's gone.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Way to ruin it
Last edited by jersey cubs fan on Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm

davell wrote:So, this is going to be a serious thing again, I guess. Giving up Addy for Russell is fine, as long as you keep him, I guess? No idea what pitching or OF would be included, or if it's just pure speculation, for what the O's want.

If you give up Addison in a Machado deal, and get Russell back, I'm in.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue May 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Give 'em Rizzo instead.

why do you hate rizzo and think he sucks
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 08, 2018 5:52 pm

The gleeful look on his tiny face as he sadistically brutalizes the clubhouse attendants.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue May 08, 2018 8:02 pm

i basically hate addision russell but cmon the cubs are not giving that up for a few months of Machado.

For the record, however, I might be leaning toward the sign Machado instead of Harper bandwagon.
1 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 08, 2018 8:05 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:For the record, however, I might be leaning toward the sign Machado instead of Harper bandwagon.

I might be too.

Almora’s “cousin” vs Bryant’s BFF. One of them better come through.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:12 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:For the record, however, I might be leaning toward the sign Machado instead of Harper bandwagon.

I think it certainly should be seriously considered. Bryce is the better player but Machado might be a better fit depending upon on how Russell finishes the year along with the other outfielders. Machado let’s you trade Russell for something useful presumably. Harper could force you to sell a guy off for the sake of it and not getting much back. Or say horsefeathers it and sign Machado, trade Russell+ pieces to dump Heywards salary (Russell, Monty and Heyward to someone?) and also sign Bryce.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue May 08, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm down on Russell but I'm not trading him for a couple months of Machado.

On a related note, you Machado over Harper heathens need to repent.
6 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm down on Russell but I'm not trading him for a couple months of Machado.

On a related note, you Machado over Harper heathens need to repent.

Oh yeah I’m all in on Bryce. Just can see how Machado could make a little more sense, Bryce is the better (potentially much better) player and adding the best talent should win out over whatever they could get for Russell to add Machado over signing just Bryce.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue May 08, 2018 8:21 pm

I have yet to hear a compelling reason why a team in the Cubs’ position (young, primed to compete for the next 4+ years) would trade 3 1/2 years of a 3 WAR a year player for 1/2 a year of a 5.5 WAR a year player that plays the exact same position. Why add a tiny bit to your chances this year while subtracting quite a bit from your chances the next three when you should be competitive in each of those three?

The only way that would make sense is if they think 24-year-old Addison Russell is irretrievably toast. Which would be a bizarre conclusion. Even with the hitting struggles, he’s on a 3.0 bWAR pace.
1 x

Return to “Transactions”