The Manny Machado Thread

Vinestal
5-Time All-Star

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado - (Cubs in talks per Levine)

Postby Vinestal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:23 pm

If it's for Baez, then horsefeathers that horsefeathers. I don't see 1 year of Machado being worth Baez or Russel, seems like crazy talk to me.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Happ and Albertos for Machado

Russell and Almora for Yelich, Straily and Barraclaugh

Thoughts?

I should add I'm in favor of standing pat offensively and saving up for Harper but I could live with it this way.
Last edited by Post Count Padder on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm

eh i'd probably give up javy even as a rental because my god would that lineup be fun
2 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Happ and Albertos for Machado

Russell and Almora for Yelich, Straily and Barraclaugh

Thoughts?

I’d rather keep Russell and trade Baez. Send Baez and Monty to Baltimore for Machado and Britton and Happ to Miami in the Yelich trade. Overall though I’d lean towards not doing this sequence of moves for one year of Machado. It would be fun but idk.

Yelich
Bryant
Rizzo
Machado
Schwarber
Contreras
Heyward
Russell

Oh my
0 x
Screw Pitchers

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 pm

Possible unpopular opinion: I'd be fine with giving the mega contract to Machado instead of Harper with the caveat that they can somehow get Yelich as well. Obviously, the Cubs would need to work out an extension prior to the trade for that to work, but if they could I'd happily, albeit wistfully, wave goodbye to Baez.

Machado and Harper are roughly the same age (25 and change), been in the game the same amount of time (764 games to 768), and put up a near identical WAR (26 to 27.7).

Trade and Extend Machado
Trade for Yelich
Sign Yu

I'm okay with that. Obviously, I want Harper more like any other normal person, but I'd be perfectly fine with that direction should they choose to go there.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 am

The Logan wrote:Possible unpopular opinion: I'd be fine with giving the mega contract to Machado instead of Harper with the caveat that they can somehow get Yelich as well. Obviously, the Cubs would need to work out an extension prior to the trade for that to work, but if they could I'd happily, albeit wistfully, wave goodbye to Baez.

Machado and Harper are roughly the same age (25 and change), been in the game the same amount of time (764 games to 768), and put up a near identical WAR (26 to 27.7).

Trade and Extend Machado
Trade for Yelich
Sign Yu

I'm okay with that. Obviously, I want Harper more like any other normal person, but I'd be perfectly fine with that direction should they choose to go there.

Don’t disagree. As long as the other moves happen.

I wonder if some form of a 3-way actually makes the most sense to get this done (again don’t know if I like it).....

Cubs get: Machado, Yelich, Britton, Starlin
Baltimore gets: Baez/Russell, Monty, Ziegler, non Alzolay Cubs minor leaguer
Marlins get: Baez/Russell, Happ and Alzolay
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:22 am

The Logan wrote:Possible unpopular opinion: I'd be fine with giving the mega contract to Machado instead of Harper with the caveat that they can somehow get Yelich as well. Obviously, the Cubs would need to work out an extension prior to the trade for that to work, but if they could I'd happily, albeit wistfully, wave goodbye to Baez.

Trade and Extend Machado
Trade for Yelich
Sign Yu

Worrrrrrrrrrrd.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:26 am

Trade and Extend Machado
Trade for Yelich
Sign Yu

yes i too would be ok with adding yu darvish, manny machado, and christian yelich to the cubs
8 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:22 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:49 am

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

DeuceBaseman for President and GM!
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:31 pm

From MLBTR:
Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that if the Orioles are to trade Machado, they hope to come to an agreement with a team by the end of the week. Baltimore isn’t backing down off its asking price of two starting pitchers that it can control for “at least the next four or five years,”

Machado will be in Baltimore as long as the asking price stays the same.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:From MLBTR:
Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that if the Orioles are to trade Machado, they hope to come to an agreement with a team by the end of the week. Baltimore isn’t backing down off its asking price of two starting pitchers that it can control for “at least the next four or five years,”

They don't deserve Machado or any other good players or things
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:19 pm

hilarious
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:36 pm

Why would they want pitchers anyways? They'd screw them up.

Anyways:

Also from that link:

They also are expected to more seriously gauge interest in star closer Zach Britton, who’s believed to have drawn attention from the Dodgers, Cubs, Cardinals, Rockies and others. Interest in Britton, like Machado, who is free agent after the year, is starting to pick up after the contracts for set-up men and middle relievers came in high at the Winter Meetings.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Got excited there for a minute thinking they might want Heyward LOL:

"Jon Heyman of Fan Rag adds some further details to the situation in a follow-up to Encina’s report. The offers for Machado haven’t been sufficient to this point in Baltimore’s eyes, and the organization will take him off the market in the coming days if the asking price isn’t met. Of course, Heyman also notes that there’s no “hard deadline;” rather, the O’s would “shift to other priorities” if there’s no momentum toward a trade. Interestingly, per Heyman, the O’s see the Jason Heyward–Shelby Miller swap as the kind of arrangement that would pique their interest."
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Backtobanks wrote:From MLBTR:

Jason Heyward is going to be confused when Jim Hickey shows up to work with him today instead of Chili Davis.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:19 pm

The Orioles are amazingly poorly run.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:20 pm

It's amusing to me that with the market mostly at a standstill, the most exciting rumors and deals have been smart teams looting the few remaining teams that have terrible ownership/front offices.
0 x

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Angelos is now demanding 2 cost-controlled starting pitchers and a closer in exchange for Machado.
3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:22 pm

According to MASN's Roch Kubatko, the Cubs' discussions with the Orioles for Manny Machado included Addison Russell, Albert Almora, and Mike Montgomery.

We can't imagine the Orioles will get a better offer talent-wise, but Kubatko says "two starting pitchers are a necessity" in any return package for Machado. Kubatko echoes a report from Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports that the Orioles may be ready to pull their 25-year-old superstar off the market and try to deal him again over the summer. Machado is scheduled to become a free agent next winter and will likely be seeking a contract worth more than $300 million on the open market. He has also drawn serious interest this winter from the Cardinals, White Sox, Yankees, Giants, Phillies, and Diamondbacks.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Derwood wrote:
According to MASN's Roch Kubatko, the Cubs' discussions with the Orioles for Manny Machado included Addison Russell, Albert Almora, and Mike Montgomery.

We can't imagine the Orioles will get a better offer talent-wise, but Kubatko says "two starting pitchers are a necessity" in any return package for Machado. Kubatko echoes a report from Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports that the Orioles may be ready to pull their 25-year-old superstar off the market and try to deal him again over the summer. Machado is scheduled to become a free agent next winter and will likely be seeking a contract worth more than $300 million on the open market. He has also drawn serious interest this winter from the Cardinals, White Sox, Yankees, Giants, Phillies, and Diamondbacks.

There's no chance in hell the Cubs offered that all for one year of Manny Machado...one of those guys, sure (and I'm damn near sure Russell wasn't at all).
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 pm

The report says the discussions included all 3, which makes sense, but taking from that that we offered all 3, as that writer does, would be silly.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah, Russell or Almora + Montgomery I could see, but there's no way Russell + any major leaguer is a deal that makes sense, even if you can make the argument on value.
0 x

jehr
Role Player

Postby jehr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:37 pm

If Theo offered a package that included Russell, Almora, and Montgomery, then I'm going to assume that proposal was for more than just Machado. Most likely Britton before he exploded, maybe Gausman?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah that’s crazy talk. No way all 3 of those guys were offered in the same trade, highly doubt Russell was a real piece offered.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”