The Manny Machado Thread

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Boy are their expectations going to be shattered with the end return. He’s not going to bring back much more than JD Martinez last year, which was 3 very average prospects and only 1 was top 100 (but not 50, iirc).

If we get him it honestly going to be something hilarious like Caritini, Bote, Hatch (or whatever the hell minor league pitching fodder they want) and some low level lottery ticket. We’ll probably end up with Britton and IFA money too

They aren't trading us Machado (and Britton and IFA money) for Caratini, Bote, minor league pitching fodder, and some other minor prospects. Sorry, but he's going to get a better return than JD Martinez got last year.

Baltimore does seem like a pretty dumb organization so they might prioritize big-league ready prospects like Bote over better prospects that are further away.

I was mostly joking. Their return is still going to be relative garbage though and “even better than Martinez” still has a lot of room to be a horsefeathers return.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 pm

The only reason I haven't completely lost my mind is because I know Theo isn't as dumb as these people.
6 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 22, 2018 11:13 pm

Duke Silver wrote:The only reason I haven't completely lost my mind is because I know Theo isn't as dumb as these people.

Theo is very smart, but he's also a risk-taker. I'm sure he's thinking about some way to fleece Baltimore again lol.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:The only reason I haven't completely lost my mind is because I know Theo isn't as dumb as these people.

Theo is very smart, but he's also a risk-taker. I'm sure he's thinking about some way to fleece Baltimore again lol.

Oh for sure. He's going to be in on Machado, as he should be. But I know he won't do anything as stupid as Baez or Russell + Monty for a rental.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Oh for sure. He's going to be in on Machado, as he should be. But I know he won't do anything as stupid as Baez or Russell + Monty for a rental.

Yeah, I'm okay with giving up Monty + Justin Wilson + Bote + pitching prospects or some combination of that right now, but definitely not Baez + Monty or Russell + Monty. I'd also definitely want Britton or Givens coming back.

I really like Mychal Givens and I'm surprised more people don't mention him here. He produced 2.3 bWAR last year and I think he's capable of being a high-leverage reliever/Closer.
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed May 23, 2018 12:39 am

Regular Show wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Yeah, I'm okay with giving up Monty + Justin Wilson + Bote + pitching prospects or some combination of that right now, but definitely not Baez + Monty or Russell + Monty. I'd also definitely want Britton or Givens coming back.

I really like Mychal Givens and I'm surprised more people don't mention him here. He produced 2.3 bWAR last year and I think he's capable of being a high-leverage reliever/Closer.

Wait, what? You want Machado for Monty, JUSTIN WILSON, Bote, and pitching prospects? AND you want Britton or Givens coming back too?

What non-existent pitching prospects do we have to conjure up for this? Because we don't have it. That's for sure.

I'm ok if people don't want to trade Addy. Personally, I'm ok if we do. Because we'd keep Manny, if we dealt for him. No doubt in my mind.

That said, Addy isn't what Baltimore needs. He doesn't have enough team control for a team to go thru a rebuild with.....

My guess is Happ is who we'd use as the main piece. With Monty. And probably their choice of Lange or Little. With Zagunis too. But, we get 3.750,000 of their IFA money.

Play Machado at 3B, move KB to RF full time. Let him play some SS, when Addy gets a day off. He'll be happy here and we can keep him.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 am

So Justin Wilson has no value to Baltimore -- I know that. It would have to be some three-team trade where Justin Wilson goes to Team C and they send a couple prospects to Baltimore. You're not getting a whole lot for Wilson right now.

I think we have the pitching prospects to get a deal done. Most of them have been disappointing, but that doesn't mean they don't have value.

I go back and forth on my willingness to trade Addison right now. He's very valuable and has a high upside. Do I think he'll reach his ceiling with the bat? No, but I never thought he'd be this valuable on defense when he was in the minors either. Machado is better at 3B long-term so I'm not sure about his fit on this team. Right now, the defensive metrics say Machado is pretty bad at SS. Do you want to trade defense for offense?

Maybe, but I'm also not sure if Machado can keep up this level of offense going forward. This might be his career best season.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:00 am

Regular Show wrote:So Justin Wilson has no value to Baltimore -- I know that. It would have to be some three-team trade where Justin Wilson goes to Team C and they send a couple prospects to Baltimore. You're not getting a whole lot for Wilson right now.

I think we have the pitching prospects to get a deal done. Most of them have been disappointing, but that doesn't mean they don't have value.

I go back and forth on my willingness to trade Addison right now. He's very valuable and has a high upside. Do I think he'll reach his ceiling with the bat? No, but I never thought he'd be this valuable on defense when he was in the minors either. Machado is better at 3B long-term so I'm not sure about his fit on this team. Right now, the defensive metrics say Machado is pretty bad at SS. Do you want to trade defense for offense?

Maybe, but I'm also not sure if Machado can keep up this level of offense going forward. This might be his career best season.

Yeah Machado at SS scares me, defensively. He’s been awful there. It’s also more likely Russell does something on defense in the playoffs that Machado just can’t do that helps us win than it is Machado is “that” much better of a hitter vs Russell in the playoffs.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed May 23, 2018 1:03 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:So Justin Wilson has no value to Baltimore -- I know that. It would have to be some three-team trade where Justin Wilson goes to Team C and they send a couple prospects to Baltimore. You're not getting a whole lot for Wilson right now.

Yeah Machado at SS scares me, defensively. He’s been awful there. It’s also more likely Russell does something on defense in the playoffs that Machado just can’t do that helps us win than it is Machado is “that” much better of a hitter vs Russell in the playoffs.

To be fair, it is possible that Machado is indeed that much better of a hitter over Russell to swing a short series (which could mean the difference between moving on or going home in the playoffs).
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed May 23, 2018 2:50 am

Lol
10 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Wed May 23, 2018 12:23 pm

Was on the fence before, but now I really want him.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Wed May 23, 2018 12:33 pm

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/bradrobinson8/status/998730658011926528?s=19

Lol

This is like christmas come early. Javy doesn't know names and Manny doesn't know teams
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 23, 2018 1:37 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
davell wrote:https://twitter.com/bradrobinson8/status/998730658011926528?s=19

Lol

This is like christmas come early. Javy doesn't know names and Manny doesn't know teams

Yeah well Harper doesn't know memes
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm

i dont think Justin Wilson has any value to anyone right now. Maybe I'm playing up his struggles too much but he's 1-2 bad outings from a DFA in my opinion.
0 x
Win it for Fred

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed May 23, 2018 3:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:

i dont think Justin Wilson has any value to anyone right now. Maybe I'm playing up his struggles too much but he's 1-2 bad outings from a DFA in my opinion.

He’s probably got minimal trade value because of the bad control and bad stretch with the Cubs but Wilson has a 3.44 ERA on the season and a 1.04 ERA in May. He’s not going to be DFA’d after 1-2 bad outings.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 23, 2018 3:41 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:He’s probably got minimal trade value because of the bad control and bad stretch with the Cubs but Wilson has a 3.44 ERA on the season and a 1.04 ERA in May.

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 pm

0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Banedon wrote:

5 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Getting real close to just not wanting Machado as a rule.
6 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:50 pm

It's so annoying that the dumbest horsefeathering people in Chicago media basically created this story out of nowhere.
3 x

Thrilho
Starter

Postby Thrilho » Wed May 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Banedon wrote:

Word is George Ofman doesn’t have any sources. He does know the names of a few Cubs pitching prospects though, which helps when you want to throw horsefeathers at the wall and see if anyone pretends it has a chance of sticking.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed May 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Word is the orioles want Russell, obviously, and *furiously searching baseball reference* umm Mike Bielecki????
5 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Wed May 23, 2018 7:35 pm

Banedon wrote:

Do they want those players or do they want the privilege to fail them on their physicals when the deal gets close?
1 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 am

I have no doubt the Orioles are interested in those guys, but these seems like lazy speculation. Orioles have made it known they want pitching prospects (and supposedly 2), and those 5 guys tended to be the top 5 pitching prospects named entering the season for the Cubs. While I'm not averse to some sort of Russell/Machado deal if the situation/deal is right, I'm not so sure I would go so all-in on a Machado deal to offer up say ... Russell/Alzolay/? unless the deal was expanded.

If the Cubs makes this move, with their emphasis on defense, then the guess would have to be that their internal metrics suggest Machado can be better than he's shown so far at short, which is possible. At the end of the day, I really think other teams will step to the forefront and offer more, or stuff that's more enticing, but ... it's plausible that someone like Alzolay could be one of the better pitching prospects offered. Too many teams could conceivably go after Machado, with so many teams in the race. Still think the Diamondbacks make a ton of sense, provided the price isn't too steep (and while their system has improved, it's still thin at the top, and Duplantier is probably not being moved). A package of Widener/Chisholm might be fairly enticing. Rockies seem like a team that could potentially look into it, with their pitching focus on internal guys. Phillies have been oft-mentioned. I don't particularly buy the Mets, Giants (don't think they have the depth to swing the deal), or Dodgers, but I guess they can't be ruled out. There's obviously the Cards/Brewers, and then there's some AL Central and West teams, assuming Angelos doesn't deal in the division.

Of course, the Orioles front office is arguably either the worst in baseball, or so hampered by ownership that they appear to be the worst, and with Brady in the wings, who knows what happens. Duquette made a comment the other week, a dumb comment, about Machado and keeping him if he's in the Triple Crown race (although there's some thought that the sentiment was just talk aimed at trying to somewhat build leverage ... still, it was just stupid and unnecessary). Keeping him last year was fine - they backed into a playoff spot 2 years ago and had an aging core. Keeping him this winter was stupid, and one wonders if they'll just bungle it again.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 am

When did Ofman get in the inner circle of trade rumors?
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Return to “Transactions”