The Manny Machado Thread

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5417
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:45 pm
x 56
x 850

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby ScrubMD » Thu May 24, 2018 12:53 pm

The fact that he's going out on such a limb makes me think there might be something to this. To add the specific detail that the Orioles could want the players that mlb.com lists as our top pitching prospects (including "Alberto's") is what makes this rumor pass the smell test to me.
1 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 430

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby Andy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:08 pm

I won't believe a word of this until NoCode tells us it's a done deal.
2 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 90053
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 519
x 2574

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 pm

2 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3800
x 3343

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:17 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/fullcounttommy/status/999645124245229569?s=21

Our mainstream writers outside of pretty much just Sahadev have no horsefeathering idea how player valuation works. Also I think goes to prove they were pushing a baseless story on players involved (and likely overplaying the interest/anything being down the road) since people in FO’s are saying the names they are hearing are crazy so it was just Gordo, Rogers and others making horsefeathers up.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8122
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 1003
x 503

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby ConstableRabbit » Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/fullcounttommy/status/999645124245229569?s=21

99% sure that he's referring to me talking to him on the way out of the game last night lol. Ran into him on the concourse and was telling him about the fans next to me going on about wild trade proposals.
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55327
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 390
x 5380

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 pm

I have a theory that writers inflate trade costs because they don't want to deal with angry responses from fans of the trading team and they don't want to hear breathless hypotheticals from people who think trading 3 average players for Mike Trout adds up. Also, the more blockbustery the trade the better from a media perspective.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3800
x 3343

Re: Orioles are shopping Machado and the Cubs are interested per Gordo

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I have a theory that writers inflate trade costs because they don't want to deal with angry responses from fans of the trading team and they don't want to hear breathless hypotheticals from people who think trading 3 average players for Mike Trout adds up. Also, the more blockbustery the trade the better from a media perspective.

That's fair and makes some sense. But I still think it's lazy and not overly genuine when in this case, and most others, they act like the names they are throwing out being involved is a sourced thing. Like most of the articles/writers are pretty adamant Russell+ other good players would be involved which seems like mostly an opinion and nothing that has real merit. It gets clicks though.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21095
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1627
x 2086

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby davell » Thu May 24, 2018 7:11 pm

My honest to God theory is most Chicago beat writers are truly idiots.(Sharma and Mooney excluded)
9 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24745
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 25
x 2433
Contact:

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Brian » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

A couple of position players have to be injured (with the Cubs still in contention) for a Machado deal to make sense without an extension in place. And Theo has to be ready to close the door on the Harper dream to make the deal with an extension.

I'm going to confidently put the odds of Machado being a Chicago Cub by August 2018 at 1%
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44374
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 69
x 1942
Contact:

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Tim » Thu May 24, 2018 10:26 pm

He's going to somehow get Baltimore to take Heyward for Machado because...wizard.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Embracing the suck...somewhere.
x 110
x 208

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby PackLandVA » Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 am

Tim wrote:He's going to somehow get Baltimore to take Heyward for Machado because...wizard.


So let's say Baltimore were to take most/all of Heyward's contract (and his weak pop outs to the SS behind 3B)....how much more in layer compensation would the Cubs need to come up with? For instance, if Addy, Monty and Alzolay is a huge overpay straight up...is it a huge overpay if they took all/most of Heyward's contract with those three? And would that make Machado as a rental much more appealing knowing it frees up tons of years/cash, most likely for Harper?

I'm not relly good with the contract/$$$ stuff. Thoughts?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1104
x 308

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 25, 2018 2:52 am

PackLandVA wrote:
Tim wrote:He's going to somehow get Baltimore to take Heyward for Machado because...wizard.


So let's say Baltimore were to take most/all of Heyward's contract (and his weak pop outs to the SS behind 3B)....how much more in layer compensation would the Cubs need to come up with? For instance, if Addy, Monty and Alzolay is a huge overpay straight up...is it a huge overpay if they took all/most of Heyward's contract with those three? And would that make Machado as a rental much more appealing knowing it frees up tons of years/cash, most likely for Harper?

I'm not relly good with the contract/$$$ stuff. Thoughts?


Guys, I want Heyward gone just as much as everyone else (if not more), but he has a no-trade clause in his contract. I believe after this season it becomes a limited NTC so the window to trade him opens up this offseason. I don't think there is any possible way to get Heyward to waive his NTC to go to horsefeathering Baltimore of all places...

Sorry about killing the dream.
1 x

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 1689
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Embracing the suck...somewhere.
x 110
x 208

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby PackLandVA » Fri May 25, 2018 2:58 am

Forgot about NTC, but my questions were mostly hypothetical. And I don't believe Tim was serious.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

cubsclapp
Starter
Posts: 318
Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 8:40 pm
x 662
x 238
Contact:

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby cubsclapp » Fri May 25, 2018 7:51 am

Regular Show wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:
Tim wrote:He's going to somehow get Baltimore to take Heyward for Machado because...wizard.


So let's say Baltimore were to take most/all of Heyward's contract (and his weak pop outs to the SS behind 3B)....how much more in layer compensation would the Cubs need to come up with? For instance, if Addy, Monty and Alzolay is a huge overpay straight up...is it a huge overpay if they took all/most of Heyward's contract with those three? And would that make Machado as a rental much more appealing knowing it frees up tons of years/cash, most likely for Harper?

I'm not relly good with the contract/$$$ stuff. Thoughts?


Guys, I want Heyward gone just as much as everyone else (if not more), but he has a no-trade clause in his contract. I believe after this season it becomes a limited NTC so the window to trade him opens up this offseason. I don't think there is any possible way to get Heyward to waive his NTC to go to horsefeathering Baltimore of all places...

Sorry about killing the dream.


Yeah. It's only 12 teams that he can block a trade to in the offseason. And maybe he'll even want a change of scenery... the media and fans are unlikely to get any kinder with him the longer this goes on (though there are obviously so many factors at play with this, like his family/happiness in Chicago).
0 x
@TheBlogfines

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6342
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 2
x 10

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 25, 2018 12:15 pm

PackLandVA wrote:
Tim wrote:He's going to somehow get Baltimore to take Heyward for Machado because...wizard.


So let's say Baltimore were to take most/all of Heyward's contract (and his weak pop outs to the SS behind 3B)....how much more in layer compensation would the Cubs need to come up with? For instance, if Addy, Monty and Alzolay is a huge overpay straight up...is it a huge overpay if they took all/most of Heyward's contract with those three? And would that make Machado as a rental much more appealing knowing it frees up tons of years/cash, most likely for Harper?

I'm not relly good with the contract/$$$ stuff. Thoughts?


The Cubs can dump Heyward and his contract on the Orioles in a trade for Machado if they include Russell, Hendricks, and Contreras.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21095
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:55 pm
x 1627
x 2086

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby davell » Fri May 25, 2018 3:45 pm

cubsclapp wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:
So let's say Baltimore were to take most/all of Heyward's contract (and his weak pop outs to the SS behind 3B)....how much more in layer compensation would the Cubs need to come up with? For instance, if Addy, Monty and Alzolay is a huge overpay straight up...is it a huge overpay if they took all/most of Heyward's contract with those three? And would that make Machado as a rental much more appealing knowing it frees up tons of years/cash, most likely for Harper?

I'm not relly good with the contract/$$$ stuff. Thoughts?


Guys, I want Heyward gone just as much as everyone else (if not more), but he has a no-trade clause in his contract. I believe after this season it becomes a limited NTC so the window to trade him opens up this offseason. I don't think there is any possible way to get Heyward to waive his NTC to go to horsefeathering Baltimore of all places...

Sorry about killing the dream.


Yeah. It's only 12 teams that he can block a trade to in the offseason. And maybe he'll even want a change of scenery... the media and fans are unlikely to get any kinder with him the longer this goes on (though there are obviously so many factors at play with this, like his family/happiness in Chicago).


12 teams is a TON. If he's trying to stay put, he can pick 12 and basically make it impossible for us to move him.....

Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Nats, Cards, Brewers, Giants, White Sox, and Astros are either too close to the LT and wouldn't go over for him, or wouldn't help us out in ANY scenario, due to being rivals......

The Rays aren't taking on that much salary, even if you give them other things. The Indians aren't going to scrap things and rebuild this quickly, there's better uses of 23 mill for them, than prospects. The Twins have CF and RF covered with youngsters. The Angels have Trout and Calhoun. The Marlins are in the same boat as the Rays, just ain't happening. The Mets aren't taking him on either, for any number of reasons already listed for others..... The Orioles? Angelos doing something like that literally seems as far fetched as Javy leading the league in walks....

That's 17 teams right there that he does NOT need to put on his no trade list.....

Put it on the other 12 and he's safe.

He is not leaving here unless he's miserable and WANTS out. And even then, there's a ridiculous amount of hurdles to clear.......
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4227
x 4210

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Banedon » Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I would guess the 12 were chosen when the contract was written. It's not like he gets to change the 12 at will.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55327
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 390
x 5380

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri May 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Banedon wrote:I would guess the 12 were chosen when the contract was written. It's not like he gets to change the 12 at will.


In many cases the player can update them yearly or with some regularity.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4227
x 4210

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Banedon » Fri May 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Banedon wrote:I would guess the 12 were chosen when the contract was written. It's not like he gets to change the 12 at will.


In many cases the player can update them yearly or with some regularity.


Image
3 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3800
x 3343

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:47 pm

Braves, Rangers, Giants or Padres would be my guesses as landing spots. Braves have done salary deals before and it’s his hometown, Rangers seem to always be looking to do something, Giants always need outfielders and his defense in that park would be good and they have money/lose some guys this year and I believe his wife or fiancé is from the area and they love to play horsefeathers offensive players, and Padres should have money and would maybe do something.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31614
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 1921
x 4559
Contact:

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri May 25, 2018 5:07 pm

guys no one is taking jason heyward off our hands. he is a millstone around our necks and the rest of the league knows it.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67010
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 814
x 1635

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri May 25, 2018 5:20 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:guys no one is taking jason heyward off our hands. he is a millstone around our necks and the rest of the league knows it.


That's right. The O's are going to trade Machado to us for Bote and Caratini and Butler

/what fans actually think
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3800
x 3343

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Derwood wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:guys no one is taking jason heyward off our hands. he is a millstone around our necks and the rest of the league knows it.


That's right. The O's are going to trade Machado to us for Bote and Caratini and Butler

/what fans actually think

Whatever he goes for probably comes a lot closer to that than Russell, Monty, Alzolay and other stuff.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20316
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3800
x 3343

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:guys no one is taking jason heyward off our hands. he is a millstone around our necks and the rest of the league knows it.

We're gonna end up doing something like Russell, Heyward and some combo of Monty, Caritini, Alzolay, Bote, etc to SD for Hand and them paying some chunk of Heyward's contract and then we are going sign Machado and Harper this offseason.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65368
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4227
x 4210

Re: The Manny Machado Thread

Postby Banedon » Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm

1 x
Image


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests