It turns out the real Yu Darvish was the friends we made in this thread

Hunter
Starter

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Hunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

I feel like we will know something on Darvish soon. I wonder if anyone will actually sign Cobb or Jake immediately after. It really feels like there is no market for a lot of players. I don't think Darvish signing will open any floodgates.
0 x

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:50 pm

It's interesting watching what happens with Jake, but I have to wonder if he will regret not working out some sort of extension during one of the past two seasons. With the market deflated, he stands to lose a ton of the money he was envisioning when he basically told the Cubs "there will be no discount". He will still get paid, but potentially not for a playoff caliber team.
0 x

Bertz
Role Player

Postby Bertz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:10 pm

$150 million isn't a number we've seen in a while, even though it's what was expected coming into the winter. I'm gonna laugh when after all the hand wringing about collusion and baseball's broken economy this winter most guys end up right around where they were expected to be.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I could live with 6/150, was hoping 6/130 was the top. But from an AAV standpoint I can live with it. Especially if it’s front loaded a bit with real money.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

I love active talks! They are so much better than inactive talks.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I could live with 6/150, was hoping 6/130 was the top. But from an AAV standpoint I can live with it. Especially if it’s front loaded a bit with real money.

Yuck on six years, right? Right?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I could live with 6/150, was hoping 6/130 was the top. But from an AAV standpoint I can live with it. Especially if it’s front loaded a bit with real money.

Yuck on six years, right? Right?

All I said was I could live with it if it was structured the right way with AAV, front loaded and an opt out at some point. Ideally yeah it ends up being 5/110-120 on the high side but we will see.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:50 pm

If Theo is ok with 6 years, im ok with 6 years. We gotta go for it every year next 3 while we have our core together, and having Yu on those teams accomplishes that. 2021, 22, 23 will be overpays but we won't care that much cause of the 3 straight titles, and I trust that Theo and staff will be supplying us with waves of studly arms by then anyway.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:55 pm

isn't this the same nutcase who was saying all the stuff about stearns playing theo? lmao

this is his response while everyone is all upset about their insider guy saying the brewers were out on darvish

KeithStone53151 wrote:Part of me wonders if Stearns is playing some serious chess here. Put in a substantial offer and leak the news to stir the pot on Darvish and get himself "outbid", at the same time engage other teams in trade talks for starting pitching. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me. Stearns is 2 steps ahead of some GM's and 10 steps ahead of most others.

lmaooo
3 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 pm

David wrote:isn't this the same nutcase who was saying all the stuff about stearns playing theo? lmao

this is his response while everyone is all upset about their insider guy saying the brewers were out on darvish

KeithStone53151 wrote:Part of me wonders if Stearns is playing some serious chess here. Put in a substantial offer and leak the news to stir the pot on Darvish and get himself "outbid", at the same time engage other teams in trade talks for starting pitching. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it wouldn't surprise me. Stearns is 2 steps ahead of some GM's and 10 steps ahead of most others.

lmaooo

actually cracking up at my desk right now.
3 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm

David wrote:isn't this the same nutcase who was saying all the stuff about stearns playing theo? lmao

lmaooo

So Keith Stone thinks it would be wise to jack up the price of a free agent pitcher and that it wouldn't then jack up the price even higher for pitchers under control for multiple years?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm

lmaooo

There are no words.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm

I am so sure GM's go around jacking up prices to mess with other teams. Uh Yeah. Stearns jacks up the price, other GM's totally believe it when an agent says GM XYZ made an offer for 5/160, you're totally going to offer more right? No way agents would stop talking to you or your team with their clients if you made fake offers to mess with other teams.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm

There’s been some really good and delusional stuff on that board the last 48 hours or so, if you have the time and want some laughs and be in utter disbelief about how ones thoughts are formed in the most illogical ways go read some of their active transactions threads
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

lmaooo

► Show Spoiler
2 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:There’s been some really good and delusional stuff on that board the last 48 hours or so, if you have the time and want some laughs and be in utter disbelief about how ones thoughts are formed in the most illogical ways go read some of their active transactions threads

god i can't wait until 2019 when we have darvish and harper in the fold and those dorks are talking about how our window is going to be closing in 2023 or whatever.
2 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

everybody here when reality starts to sink in that David Stearns has forced the cubs' window shut:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2de3adb6-b ... aerBG.copy
2 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:There’s been some really good and delusional stuff on that board the last 48 hours or so, if you have the time and want some laughs and be in utter disbelief about how ones thoughts are formed in the most illogical ways go read some of their active transactions threads

god i can't wait until 2019 when we have darvish and harper in the fold and those dorks are talking about how our window is going to be closing in 2023 or whatever.

Now imagine having to live around all these people.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm

BigbadB wrote:It's interesting watching what happens with Jake, but I have to wonder if he will regret not working out some sort of extension during one of the past two seasons. With the market deflated, he stands to lose a ton of the money he was envisioning when he basically told the Cubs "there will be no discount". He will still get paid, but potentially not for a playoff caliber team.

Not necessarily true with the Cubs, Yankees, and Twins in on Darvish, two of those teams may move on Jake after Darvish signs. Also we don't know how deflated the market is until a few of the big names sign. The agents and the teams are taking a strong stance on the market prices, but we'll see who blinks first.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:34 pm

lmaooo

Wow, what a moron. I mean I don't doubt Stearns is a promising young GM, he's made some solid moves in a short period of time, but to think that he is outsmarting GMs with his genius never tried before strategy of leaking offers to media in attempt to raise price in the market is hilarious.

Plus there's this other part of his logic that is all wrong:

Seems like Brewers fans think the Cubs believe they are in this arms race with Milwaukee and every move Milwaukee makes needs to be counteracted by a similar Cubs move. Not saying the Cubs don't look at the Brewers as a threat, but I highly doubt Theo is so concerned about the Brewers getting Darvish that he jacks up his offer, because OMG we cant let Milwaukee get him!
1 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm

ZiPS came out for the Brewers yesterday. Their depth chart was one win worse than the Cardinals.

Sorry, did I say Cardinals, I actually meant the Reds. Their depth chart was one win worse than the Reds.
24 x

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:43 pm

He’s 10 moves ahead, guys. He’s already thinking about how to leverage having higher draft picks than the Cubs for at least the next 5 years.
1 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm

lmaooo

3 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Vaunted
5 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 pm

lmaooo

At Billy Beane's height there were people on baseballthinkfactory.org who argued his signing a middling FA was an intentional overpay in order to force other teams to spend more on their players.
3 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Transactions”