It turns out the real Yu Darvish was the friends we made in this thread

User avatar
DiceMan4221
All-Star
Posts: 2167
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 1642
x 627
Contact:

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby DiceMan4221 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:49 am

Brian707 wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:According to Levine, Theo and Jed are in Dallas, presumably to meet with Darvish.


Image

Just a FYI, that framed newspaper is still just outside of the bar in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. I chuckled when I saw it.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Bertz
Role Player
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 13
x 58

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 am



Yu's twitter, which according to Google translate says that he met with the Cubs for three and a half hours (!!!) today.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73445
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2038
x 2934
Contact:

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:08 am

Bertz wrote:

Yu's twitter, which according to Google translate says that he met with the Cubs for three and a half hours (!!!) today.


Itshappening.gif
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Gilby
All-Star
Posts: 4057
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm
Location: Des Moines
x 693
x 366

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Gilby » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 am

lol his twitter pic is of him mind-bleeping Carl

Are any of those tweets about the Twins?
Last edited by Gilby on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73445
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2038
x 2934
Contact:

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:09 am

Gotta love Twitter translations

1. so today was also reported to have cubs were meeting.
It was a very good meeting. Interpretation, to want to take the next step English 3 and half hours has been meeting ^_^ from the talk at first unfamiliar + strain to utter a word but makutta impatience from the middle was.
0 x
Win it for Fred

MWV
All-Star
Posts: 2539
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am
Location: Printers Row
x 145
x 216

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby MWV » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:11 am

Theo delivered a lengthy, detailed, compelling pitch?
Sounds like he’s headed to Anaheim.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73445
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2038
x 2934
Contact:

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:12 am

MWV wrote:Theo delivered a lengthy, detailed, compelling pitch?
Sounds like he’s headed to Anaheim.


Does he also have a UCL tear?
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1625
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 919
x 652

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 am

0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23854
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 18
x 1891
Contact:

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:14 am

and his next tweet, which starts with 2. so theoretically it's a follow up to the Cubs tweet.
2. I'm tired me so I just had a question / remark there, pretty much with the brain in the past 10 years the most tired. Also tomorrow I English (^^) still be scared quicker progress after challenging withdraw no more!. The gutter to the Dodgers was (^^)


Ah, that proper translation makes this second one make more sense, but I wonder what the Dodgers part is?
0 x

r_mack
Role Player
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 20
x 12

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby r_mack » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 am

Brian wrote:and his next tweet, which starts with 2. so theoretically it's a follow up to the Cubs tweet.
2. I'm tired me so I just had a question / remark there, pretty much with the brain in the past 10 years the most tired. Also tomorrow I English (^^) still be scared quicker progress after challenging withdraw no more!. The gutter to the Dodgers was (^^)


Ah, that proper translation makes this second one make more sense, but I wonder what the Dodgers part is?

0 x

User avatar
Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star
Posts: 1625
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:19 pm
Location: Ukrainian Village
x 919
x 652

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:16 am

Brian wrote:and his next tweet, which starts with 2. so theoretically it's a follow up to the Cubs tweet.
2. I'm tired me so I just had a question / remark there, pretty much with the brain in the past 10 years the most tired. Also tomorrow I English (^^) still be scared quicker progress after challenging withdraw no more!. The gutter to the Dodgers was (^^)


Ah, that proper translation makes this second one make more sense, but I wonder what the Dodgers part is?


0 x
Image

MWV
All-Star
Posts: 2539
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 am
Location: Printers Row
x 145
x 216

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby MWV » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:24 am

Rule of threes.

1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17838
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2367
x 2358

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:25 am

Any Japanese reference in there to Jager shots being taken?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88712
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 422
x 1910

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Don’t forget Britton next year. He’s big time if he stays healthy, just not a SP.


Kimbrel is also a free agent next offseason.
0 x
Image

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 88712
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:20 pm
Location: Pasadena, CA
x 422
x 1910

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:20 am

This doesn't appear to be behind the paywall: https://theathletic.com/189473/2017/12/ ... st-option/
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 17838
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 2367
x 2358

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:38 am

Obviously the Cobb, and maybe others, asking price being higher than expected/wanted is playing a role but I think it's a fair assumption to think Darvish's price may be down a bit too. MLBTR had him at 6/160 and Fangraphs was 6/168 and median crowdsources was 5/125, where do we think it's dropped to or we think Theo/Jed think is the price point to be this far along in meeting with him? 5/130? 6/145? Could it potentially be down to 4/100-110? You have to assume the AAV is no higher than ~$25 for LT purposes and if I had to guess the years are down to 4 or 5 guaranteed.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6310
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 2

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Obviously the Cobb, and maybe others, asking price being higher than expected/wanted is playing a role but I think it's a fair assumption to think Darvish's price may be down a bit too. MLBTR had him at 6/160 and Fangraphs was 6/168 and median crowdsources was 5/125, where do we think it's dropped to or we think Theo/Jed think is the price point to be this far along in meeting with him? 5/130? 6/145? Could it potentially be down to 4/100-110? You have to assume the AAV is no higher than ~$25 for LT purposes and if I had to guess the years are down to 4 or 5 guaranteed.


There's no indication that his asking price has dropped. Actually since a lot of the top SP are still available may strengthen his case for more money. When one or two sign, then FAs start to worry and possibly settle for less.
0 x

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 11350
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 1306
x 435

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Yu can't always get what yu want but if yu try sometimes well yu just might find yu get what yu need

I see what yu did there.
0 x
Image

biittner77
Superstar
Posts: 10370
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:10 am
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
x 10
x 187

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby biittner77 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:22 pm

All I want for Christmas is Yu
5 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59327
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6407
x 3912

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Obviously the Cobb, and maybe others, asking price being higher than expected/wanted is playing a role but I think it's a fair assumption to think Darvish's price may be down a bit too. MLBTR had him at 6/160 and Fangraphs was 6/168 and median crowdsources was 5/125, where do we think it's dropped to or we think Theo/Jed think is the price point to be this far along in meeting with him? 5/130? 6/145? Could it potentially be down to 4/100-110? You have to assume the AAV is no higher than ~$25 for LT purposes and if I had to guess the years are down to 4 or 5 guaranteed.


There's no indication that his asking price has dropped. Actually since a lot of the top SP are still available may strengthen his case for more money. When one or two sign, then FAs start to worry and possibly settle for less.



i don't disagree that his asking price hasn't necessarily dropped quite yet but...
Image
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59327
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6407
x 3912

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby David » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 pm

internet commenters never fail to frustrate the hell out of me



so much dumb in these...it's like they don't actually read any of the content of the blog they're following. and there's a real "chocked in the playoffs" in there which is pretty sweet.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56947
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 1697
x 5578

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:39 pm

1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UK
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20169
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 2:38 pm
x 98
x 205

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby UK » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Did NCCubfan hack into several accounts this morning?

:)
0 x
http://www.sisterdistrict.com

Go from Red to Blue.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6310
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 2

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:51 pm

David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Obviously the Cobb, and maybe others, asking price being higher than expected/wanted is playing a role but I think it's a fair assumption to think Darvish's price may be down a bit too. MLBTR had him at 6/160 and Fangraphs was 6/168 and median crowdsources was 5/125, where do we think it's dropped to or we think Theo/Jed think is the price point to be this far along in meeting with him? 5/130? 6/145? Could it potentially be down to 4/100-110? You have to assume the AAV is no higher than ~$25 for LT purposes and if I had to guess the years are down to 4 or 5 guaranteed.


There's no indication that his asking price has dropped. Actually since a lot of the top SP are still available may strengthen his case for more money. When one or two sign, then FAs start to worry and possibly settle for less.



i don't disagree that his asking price hasn't necessarily dropped quite yet but...
Image


Obviously someone has to be the first to sign, but usually the first pretty much sets the market. The top SP might sign first, but I doubt that he would take a discount. If Arrieta and/or Cobb signed at a reduced rate first, it might force Darvish to rethink his asking price.
0 x

craig
All-Star
Posts: 4064
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:52 pm
x 31

Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby craig » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:This doesn't appear to be behind the paywall: https://theathletic.com/189473/2017/12/ ... st-option/


Thanks, cal, that's a good article.

What struck me as most interesting was this part:

It's that desire to stay under the luxury tax this year that may be depressing Darvish's market in general. Usual big spenders like the Dodgers and New York Yankees are dangerously close to going back over the tax for 2018, which they would prefer not to do. Staying under would allow them to avoid the suddenly harsh penalties that come with being a repeat offender. They're doing all this with their eyes squarely set on being aggressive next winter when big names like Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and others will be available.

That leaves the Houston Astros and Minnesota Twins as the two biggest competitors for Darvish's services, two teams hardly known for their financial might. Suddenly, the artificial salary cap is giving the Cubs an opportunity to pounce on a target once deemed too expensive or unattainable.


Not sure how subtracting Dodgers and Yankees reduces it to Twins and Astros, but Sharma is smart and it's his job to think and analyze, so perhaps he's right.

Beats me. Why not Cardinals or Giants, or Rangers or Rockies or DBacks or Red Sox or Washington or Angels or Seattle? Beats me, I don't know everybody's payrolls or team priorities.... But I'm hoping this is kinda correct, that for whatever confluence of circumstances, that Darvish's market just hasn't gone wild, and you've got a good shot to get a decent-value deal.
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests