Re: The Yu Darvish Thread

Postby shnsajax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Are we there yet?
0 x

Perd
Starter

Postby Perd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:49 pm

When Yu say “It’s going to happen now.” When exactly do Yu mean? See I’ve already waited too long. And all my hope is gone.
0 x

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm

According to Morosi, the Dodgers are trying to keep 10 million in payroll free to make room for possible deadline deals this upcoming season. He also puts more to the rumor that the Cubs aren't willing to go more than 4 years. If he isn't going to get 5 or 6 years, Yu probably wants to go back to LA for a 4 year deal.

Hyun-Jin Ryu is listed at 7.8 million for 2018 last year of a 6/36. Logan Forsythe at 9 million after his option was exercised. Yasmani Grandal at 7.9 million of a 1/7.9 contract.

So Ryu is 6 million AAV and Grandal 7.9 AAV. Forsythe is 9 AAV.

According to:
https://www.truebluela.com/2018/1/13/16 ... rbitration

Dodger's current CBT payroll is 180 million. Leaving their desired 10 million cushion leaves them with 7 million to put towards Yu. They are going to need to dump 2 of the 3 of Ryu, Forsythe, and Grandal to get close to Yu money and leaving a 10 million cushion.

I don't see anyone taking Ryu at that price. Doesn't make sense why the Dodgers would pick up the option on Forsythe at 9 million then try to trade him. They might be able to dump Grandal and Kemp, but they would probably have to dip in to their 10 million cushion to still sign Yu.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Jesus, they better not funk this up just because they won't give him a 5th year.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:51 pm

So if we offer him 5 years then he will probably come here, but if we stand firm at 4 years the Dodgers will probably find a way to make it happen?

My theory is that Theo was doing his due diligence but was never really serious about landing Yu until this market deep freeze started in December and he thought he might be able to get him for 4 years.
0 x
Win it for Fred

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Hunter wrote:Dodger's current CBT payroll is 180 million. Leaving their desired 10 million cushion leaves them with 7 million to put towards Yu. They are going to need to dump 2 of the 3 of Ryu, Forsythe, and Grandal to get close to Yu money and leaving a 10 million cushion.

I don't see anyone taking Ryu at that price. Doesn't make sense why the Dodgers would pick up the option on Forsythe at 9 million then try to trade him. They might be able to dump Grandal and Kemp, but they would probably have to dip in to their 10 million cushion to still sign Yu.

Dumping two of those 3 to sign Darvish is pretty close to a wash as far as projected WAR is concerned. Would the Dodgers pay $10M more this year to pick up a half game in the standings at the best, not to mention the $60+M in additional liability over the next 3 or 4 seasons?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 pm

UMFan83 wrote:So if we offer him 5 years then he will probably come here, but if we stand firm at 4 years the Dodgers will probably find a way to make it happen?

My theory is that Theo was doing his due diligence but was never really serious about landing Yu until this market deep freeze started in December and he thought he might be able to get him for 4 years.

where'd you get that interpretation?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Hunter wrote:According to Morosi, the Dodgers are trying to keep 10 million in payroll free to make room for possible deadline deals this upcoming season. He also puts more to the rumor that the Cubs aren't willing to go more than 4 years. If he isn't going to get 5 or 6 years, Yu probably wants to go back to LA for a 4 year deal.

Hyun-Jin Ryu is listed at 7.8 million for 2018 last year of a 6/36. Logan Forsythe at 9 million after his option was exercised. Yasmani Grandal at 7.9 million of a 1/7.9 contract.

So Ryu is 6 million AAV and Grandal 7.9 AAV. Forsythe is 9 AAV.

According to:
https://www.truebluela.com/2018/1/13/16 ... rbitration

Dodger's current CBT payroll is 180 million. Leaving their desired 10 million cushion leaves them with 7 million to put towards Yu. They are going to need to dump 2 of the 3 of Ryu, Forsythe, and Grandal to get close to Yu money and leaving a 10 million cushion.

You also probably have to add $3-4 million on the low side for IP/GS incentives Maedea will hit this year and it could be as much as a $7-8 mil hit.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:05 pm

0 x
► Show Spoiler

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm

champaignchris wrote:
Hunter wrote:Dodger's current CBT payroll is 180 million. Leaving their desired 10 million cushion leaves them with 7 million to put towards Yu. They are going to need to dump 2 of the 3 of Ryu, Forsythe, and Grandal to get close to Yu money and leaving a 10 million cushion.

Dumping two of those 3 to sign Darvish is pretty close to a wash as far as projected WAR is concerned. Would the Dodgers pay $10M more this year to pick up a half game in the standings at the best, not to mention the $60+M in additional liability over the next 3 or 4 seasons?

Maybe this is Theos gamble. It all but assures the Doyers are out of the Harper sweepstakes right
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:So if we offer him 5 years then he will probably come here, but if we stand firm at 4 years the Dodgers will probably find a way to make it happen?

From Hunter's post:

According to Morosi, the Dodgers are trying to keep 10 million in payroll free to make room for possible deadline deals this upcoming season. He also puts more to the rumor that the Cubs aren't willing to go more than 4 years. If he isn't going to get 5 or 6 years, Yu probably wants to go back to LA for a 4 year deal.

I was assuming that was all stuff that Morosi reported.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Duke Silver wrote:I'm calling it. Yu signs within the next 6 hours.

Hmm... I thought for sure I was going to be right this time.
0 x

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:23 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
champaignchris wrote:

Maybe this is Theos gamble. It all but assures the Doyers are out of the Harper sweepstakes right

Grandal, Forsythe, and Ryu are all FA after 2018. Signing Yu for 20+ would take them out of the Harper sweepstakes unless they got really creative in payroll dumping for 2019.
0 x

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:24 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

From Hunter's post:

Yes, Morosi is reporting that the Dodgers have interest in bringing Darvish back. How interested, is anyone's guess.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

From Hunter's post:

But where'd you get that it was probable? That post goes on to talk about why it's not likely they can do it in any way that would make sense.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:36 pm

David wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
David wrote:

From Hunter's post:

But where'd you get that it was probable? That post goes on to talk about why it's not likely they can do it in any way that would make sense.

i dont know...i have attention issues and didnt really consider the rest of the post.
0 x
Win it for Fred

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:43 pm

it seems to me that if Theo cannot get Darvish to budge and he's not moving either, that he wouldn't have moved on already and went after Cobb or Jake.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 pm

CubinNY wrote:it seems to me that if Theo cannot get Darvish to budge and he's not moving either, that he wouldn't have moved on already and went after Cobb or Jake.

I’m guessing Cobb and Jake want to wait for Darvish to sign so they can squeeze some extra money/years out of the teams left/maybe another team comes bidding for them that isn’t now that loses out on Darvish. Yu just really needs to make up his horsefeathering mind and pick a team.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:I'm calling it. Yu signs within the next 6 hours.

Hmm... I thought for sure I was going to be right this time.

Darvish is still on Pacific time, so it should be announced in the next hour or so.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

YU'RE TEARING US APART!
1 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:it seems to me that if Theo cannot get Darvish to budge and he's not moving either, that he wouldn't have moved on already and went after Cobb or Jake.

I’m guessing Cobb and Jake want to wait for Darvish to sign so they can squeeze some extra money/years out of the teams left/maybe another team comes bidding for them that isn’t now that loses out on Darvish. Yu just really needs to make up his horsefeathering mind and pick a team.

i basically think yu realistically (bc dodgers are unrealistic) wants to go to the cubs and his agent is trying anything he can to squeeze them for more by leaking all this other crap. theo knows how strong the cubs' position is on the pitching market too.

i don't think there's a chance in hell he opts to go to minnesota over us, but weird horsefeathers happens sometimes i guess.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:51 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

i basically think yu realistically (bc dodgers are unrealistic) wants to go to the cubs and his agent is trying anything he can to squeeze them for more by leaking all this other crap. theo knows how strong the cubs' position is on the pitching market too.

i don't think there's a chance in hell he opts to go to minnesota over us, but weird horsefeathers happens sometimes i guess.

This is mostly how I feel too. I wonder when or if it’s already happened that Jake/Cobb/Lynn and their reps or the union are pushing hard for Yu to make a pick already. His market seems pretty clear and defined and he’s holding other guys back from getting a job/offers.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”