Darvish to Cubs, 6/$126 Million + Incentives

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Re: Darvish to Cubs, 6/$126 Million + Incentives

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Has anyone checked in on Quintana? Has he vented anything on social media? Im sure he's pretty shaken up over these comments saying that because he's lived up to/exceeded the first multi-million dollar contract he will sign in his lifetime he now has a fancy new teammate and better odds to be a World Series champion. Hopefully he has a good therapist who will help keep his head up through this crisis.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Has anyone checked in on Quintana? Has he vented anything on social media? Im sure he's pretty shaken up over these comments saying that because he's lived up to/exceeded the first multi-million dollar contract he will sign in his lifetime he now has a fancy new teammate and better odds to be a World Series champion. Hopefully he has a good therapist who will help keep his head up through this crisis.

I would hope this is a lesson for Theo and he doesn’t mention Rizzo’s contract at the Bryce Harper press conference.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Also, although I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure Theo talked about Q's great contract when we traded for him, too.

he did. so?

So why didn't people have a problem with it then like they do now?

well, on my end, because context matters. the relationship between players and front offices is much icier now. and, i alluded to his past comments in my previous posts by noting how he has brought up quintana being underpaid multiple times now.

it’s not a fireable offense or anything and it doesn’t impact my perception of Theo in the grand scheme. I made a throwaway comment about it and probably would’ve forgotten about it by like dinner time yesterday. we all love theo. it’s just kind of a bad look, to me anyway, to keep harping on how underpaid one guy is and how that helped the cubs give another guy $126 million. it’s amusing to me when I look at it through the lens of any other profession.
1 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:44 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Has anyone checked in on Quintana? Has he vented anything on social media? Im sure he's pretty shaken up over these comments saying that because he's lived up to/exceeded the first multi-million dollar contract he will sign in his lifetime he now has a fancy new teammate and better odds to be a World Series champion. Hopefully he has a good therapist who will help keep his head up through this crisis.

imagine that, JGA making a dumb post.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Interesting info about the Cubs recruiting Darvish from his agent:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/yu-da ... o-alabama/

Apparently, the Cubs did a phenomenal job recruiting Darvish, who also drew interest from the likes of the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers and Texas Rangers.

“The Cubs — they know how to recruit a player,” said Darvish’s agent Joel Wolfe, according to Patrick Mooney of The Athletic. “It’s like the University of Alabama. They go the extra mile.”

Wolfe said that Chicago’s presentation wasn’t just about baseball; it was about why and how Darvish would thrive in the Windy City in general.

“It was very much like a high school football player trying to choose and he’s going to have the signing day,” he said. “Here’s what we have to offer you and your family as a place to live. This is what our organization is like. Here’s what we’re going to do with you. We think you’re a great pitcher, but here’s how we’re going to make you better. Here’s what we’ve done with other guys. This is exactly how we’re going to do it. Incredible detail.

Wolfe says that what clinched Darvish’s decision was how Cubs general manager Theo Epstein handled things.

“With all the offers getting very close together, we had to make a decision,” said Wolfe. “One thing that Theo said to him and to me right before was, ‘You’ve been traded. You understand what it’s like going to a new team. I want you to have the opportunity to come in here on Day 1. When you sign, there’s going to be all this talk about your contract, blah blah blah, but I want you to be able to — from Day 1 — just be a guy on the team.’”

I'm not really sure what he's trying to say in that last blurb that would make the Cubs stand out.

Found an Athletic article that goes into more detail on the last quote

Now sensing which buttons to push with Darvish, Epstein also urged Wolfe to finalize the deal before Wednesday’s first official workout for pitchers and catchers in Mesa and begin the acclimation process.

“With all the offers getting very close together, we had to make a decision,” Wolfe said. “One thing that Theo said to him and to me right before was, ‘You’ve been traded. You understand what it’s like going to a new team. I want you to have the opportunity to come in here on Day 1. When you sign, there’s going to be all this talk about your contract, blah blah blah, but I want you to be able to — from Day 1 — just be a guy on the team.’

“That meant a lot to him because it could have easily just been negotiating posture. [But] it resonated with him because nobody had really said that to him. It was mostly about ‘Do our deal, because our deal’s the right deal.’ But Theo was very clear in why he wanted to do it now. He then extended himself to put his money where his mouth was.”
1 x
Win it for Fred

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm

craig wrote:has anybody found a link to the full press conference? I think it touched on much beyond Darvish, no?

There were two consecutive conferences. First there was one for the Yu Darvish signing with Theo, Yu and Yu's translator. Then, there was the start of ST conference with Theo, Jed and Joe.

No idea where it's archived. I saw it on Facebook Live.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'd feel the Quintana comments come off worse if he would have been FA eligible but was getting like 5 mil a year, or if he were just 1st year arb eligible or something. He signed an extension after his first good season in the big leagues that even with his best possible outcome realized, will cost him about 25 million or so. That's a perfectly fine trade off to make for a SP of all people, and especially considering he'd still be arbitration eligible without the extension, it's hard for me to get too worked up about Quintana feeling like a pawn.

Look, I know a lot of you think being a baseball robot is the thing that all the cool kids do, but it's more than a little odd to be talking about how you could afford the guy you just signed because the guy you traded for the year before is on a VERY team-friendly deal. Like, everyone knows it's true and he's right, but it just seems like one of those things where you don't talk it up to the press. What's the point?

Similarly, I know it's en vogue to be on the lookout for exploitation of players given the current offseason(and to an extent, political) climate, but I don't see a big issue in clarifying the logic behind the moves when there's a direct correlation. Quintana is on a team friendly deal, and part of that is a function of the arbitration system, but he's on a team friendly deal because of a conscious choice he made to lock in tens of millions of dollars that were far from certain at the time. I'd love for the Quintana's of the world to get a larger share of the pie in the future too, but I don't think it's gauche to point out that the contract he signed with another team facilitated other moves.
6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'd feel the Quintana comments come off worse if he would have been FA eligible but was getting like 5 mil a year, or if he were just 1st year arb eligible or something. He signed an extension after his first good season in the big leagues that even with his best possible outcome realized, will cost him about 25 million or so. That's a perfectly fine trade off to make for a SP of all people, and especially considering he'd still be arbitration eligible without the extension, it's hard for me to get too worked up about Quintana feeling like a pawn.

Look, I know a lot of you think being a baseball robot is the thing that all the cool kids do, but it's more than a little odd to be talking about how you could afford the guy you just signed because the guy you traded for the year before is on a VERY team-friendly deal. Like, everyone knows it's true and he's right, but it just seems like one of those things where you don't talk it up to the press. What's the point?

Similarly, I know it's en vogue to be on the lookout for exploitation of players given the current offseason(and to an extent, political) climate, but I don't see a big issue in clarifying the logic behind the moves when there's a direct correlation. Quintana is on a team friendly deal, and part of that is a function of the arbitration system, but he's on a team friendly deal because of a conscious choice he made to lock in tens of millions of dollars that were far from certain at the time. I'd love for the Quintana's of the world to get a larger share of the pie in the future too, but I don't think it's gauche to point out that the contract he signed with another team facilitated other moves.

There's just zero need for it beyond, "hey, look how smart we are." When you're talking about your franchise in The Show, great! When it's something that involves actual people that you're going to have to negotiate with, maybe it would be the smarter play to not try to needlessly show off at what is arguably at Quintana's expense. Like, I doubt anyone would want Theo talking up how great it is that Rizzo and Bryant are so affordable vs. their production right now when they sign Harper next year.

Basically there was no "logic that needed to be clarified." It's not a huge deal, but it probably wasn't the best choice, that's all.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Happy Valentines Day to all of Yu out there: (Skip to 2:42 or open in another link for the good part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtpTc6S01fs&t=2m42s
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:47 pm

well this is just a ridiculous attempt at ridiculing a justifiable concern about the way Theo publicly stated how he was able to take advantage of an underpaid that player.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:55 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:Happy Valentines Day to all of Yu out there: (Skip to 2:42 or open in another link for the good part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtpTc6S01fs&t=2m42s

Fiona Apple? There is no “good part”
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:Fiona Apple? There is no “good part”

Last edited by JudasIscariotTheBird on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm

6 x
► Show Spoiler

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:07 pm

8 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:20 pm

I kinda feel like I really wasted this gif by not applying it to minnesotacubsfan in the first place:

1 x
► Show Spoiler

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:24 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I kinda feel like I really wasted this gif by not applying it to minnesotacubsfan in the first place:

whatever. I got Goldy the Disco Gopher in my sig to keep me company
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:53 pm

MINNY WHY
2 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Banedon wrote:LOL....someone asked if having Giminez in camp is helpful....Yu said "I like Contreras better".

2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Theo talks all the time about how our young, cheap, homegrown offensive talent affords us to do a lot of different things with money too, like signing Lester, etc. Should he not do that either? This seems like a silly thing to make a big deal out of.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 pm

aside from one guy saying theo should horsefeathers a goat, i don't see anyone making a big deal out of it. the commentary has been pretty mild.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:aside from one guy saying theo should horsefeathers a goat, i don't see anyone making a big deal out of it. the commentary has been pretty mild.

2 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Theo talks all the time about how our young, cheap, homegrown offensive talent affords us to do a lot of different things with money too, like signing Lester, etc. Should he not do that either? This seems like a silly thing to make a big deal out of.

Once again, it's not a huge deal; just probably not the best idea. If he had said something as broad as you did here? Great! Specifically pointing out that Quintana's team-friendly deal that helped make this happen? Probably something that's not necessary to single out.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

entbird79
Starter

Postby entbird79 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Theo talks all the time about how our young, cheap, homegrown offensive talent affords us to do a lot of different things with money too, like signing Lester, etc. Should he not do that either? This seems like a silly thing to make a big deal out of.

Once again, it's not a huge deal; just probably not the best idea. If he had said something as broad as you did here? Great! Specifically pointing out that Quintana's team-friendly deal that helped make this happen? Probably something that's not necessary to single out.

0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:47 pm

6 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

entbird79 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

YES, WE KNOW.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”