Regular Season Rumors

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Rosenthal:

Wanted (maybe): another David Ross
The Chicago Cubs have held internal discussions about acquiring a veteran leader such as the Orioles’ Adam Jones or Toronto Blue Jays’ Curtis Granderson and also reached out to other clubs about the possibility, sources tell me and The Athletic’s Jayson Stark.

For several reasons, the idea is unlikely to come to fruition before July 31, if at all.

Cubs officials are unsure whether bringing in such a veteran at mid-season would create enough of an impact. The team also has carried 13 pitchers for much of the season, leaving little room for another position player. Tommy La Stella, the Cubs’ only true bench player, leads the majors with 52 plate appearances as a pinch-hitter, and is batting .304 with a .742 OPS in that role.

Thus, the only way for the Cubs to squeeze in a Jones or Granderson would be to trade one of their young outfielders — Albert Almora Jr, Kyle Schwarber or Ian Happ. Such a move would make sense only if it brought the Cubs a top starting pitcher with multiple years of club control. And even then, the Cubs might resist.

A trade for a Jones-Granderson type might be more suitable on Aug. 31, the deadline for teams to set their postseason rosters. The fit would be easier then, with regular-season rosters expanding from 25 to 40 the next day.

Doesn’t make sense from a roster standpoint. Wouldn’t be shocked if Adam Jones didn’t make sense from a luxury tax standpoint too.

It was bad enough when these jabronis invented the term super utility player, and got away with it. But now we're making judgments on whether or not a player is a "true bench player"? F this.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Heyman spelled Barraclaugh and Conley wrong.

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

The only thing the national media seems to be more wrong about than judging our trade needs/targets is judging that our team is in fact, actually good.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:06 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Heyman spelled Barraclaugh and Conley wrong.

Dietrich has a full-time gig all to himself, and still has a lower fWAR than Schwarber, Heyward, Almora, Happ, and Zobrist.

I cannot imagine a world in which we are shopping for Derek Dietrich unless there's some crazy back2banks 3-way blockbuster on the horizon. He's not even a fit as our 5th OF as things stand right now.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Rob wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Heyman spelled Barraclaugh and Conley wrong.

Dietrich has a full-time gig all to himself, and still has a lower fWAR than Schwarber, Heyward, Almora, Happ, and Zobrist.

I cannot imagine a world in which we are shopping for Derek Dietrich unless there's some crazy back2banks 3-way blockbuster on the horizon. He's not even a fit as our 5th OF as things stand right now.

Jed, Theo, and I have a few things in the fire, but it's not always easy dealing with two other teams.
6 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:34 am

This makes no horsefeathering sense

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:47 am

This makes for an interesting thought exercise:

Trade Happ/Almora for a SP, get a clubhouse veteran/mascot to suck up fewer ABs than Happ/Almora the rest of the year, replace him properly with Harper in the offseason seems like a logical sequence of events. I'm not sure the SP target really is out there for that type of decisive deal though.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:This makes for an interesting thought exercise:

Trade Happ/Almora for a SP, get a clubhouse veteran/mascot to suck up fewer ABs than Happ/Almora the rest of the year, replace him properly with Harper in the offseason seems like a logical sequence of events. I'm not sure the SP target really is out there for that type of decisive deal though.

Yeah that does make some sense I guess and is a good exercise. It doesn’t seem like there’s a real fit but I’d be down for Happ/Almora (possibly both) for either DeGrom or Snell then add a Dietrich, Jones, etc.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

beantowncubfan
Role Player

Postby beantowncubfan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:17 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

Yeah that does make some sense I guess and is a good exercise. It doesn’t seem like there’s a real fit but I’d be down for Happ/Almora (possibly both) for either DeGrom or Snell then add a Dietrich, Jones, etc.

This may be a stupid question. Do you do this even if you don’t get one of those players (Dietrich, Jones)? Hypothetically, you play Bote at third and Bryant in Right on days that Baez and Zobrist don’t both play. I could live with that. It helps that Heyward plays a solid center. I say yes
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:20 am

beantowncubfan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

This may be a stupid question. Do you do this even if you don’t get one of those players (Dietrich, Jones)? Hypothetically, you play Bote at third and Bryant in Right on days that Baez and Zobrist don’t both play. I could live with that. It helps that Heyward plays a solid center. I say yes

Probably, but still would like to add another OF. Preferably a RHH one who could play CF (Maybin?).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Mets aren’t going to look in to trading DeGrom or Syndergaard until the offseason. Which seems smart for them. Wheeler and Matz are available though. I’d have a little interest in Wheeler and have also mentioned Lugo/Gsellemen multiple times.

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-have- ... /284364018
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Mets aren’t going to look in to trading DeGrom or Syndergaard until the offseason. Which seems smart for them. Wheeler and Matz are available though. I’d have a little interest in Wheeler and have also mentioned Lugo/Gsellemen multiple times.

Why do you think that's smart for them? Seems like you'd be able to get more trading them at a deadline than over the winter when there's more free agent options. And the Mets aren't a threat to anyone.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Banedon wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Mets aren’t going to look in to trading DeGrom or Syndergaard until the offseason. Which seems smart for them. Wheeler and Matz are available though. I’d have a little interest in Wheeler and have also mentioned Lugo/Gsellemen multiple times.

Why do you think that's smart for them? Seems like you'd be able to get more trading them at a deadline than over the winter when there's more free agent options. And the Mets aren't a threat to anyone.

I don’t think they should trade them at all. They have them for 3-4 more years, hope they sync up with health/performance over that span to be competitive, if you have 2 guys pitching at 5-6+ WAR pace you can compete with suboptimal performance elsewhere. Seems like there would be more teams in on them during the offseason the during the season too, if they decide to move them.

The top end FA pitching market sucks this offseason too.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I don’t think they should trade them at all. They have them for 3-4 more years, hope they sync up with health/performance over that span to be competitive, if you have 2 guys pitching at 5-6+ WAR pace you can compete with suboptimal performance elsewhere. Seems like there would be more teams in on them during the offseason the during the season too, if they decide to move them.

Completely disagree. The Mets are garbage. They haven't been able to keep pitching healthy in basically forever. There's no reason to expect that will suddenly change. And even so, they have a trash offense. They'd be better off going the full rebuild route, imo.
1 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I'd definitely trade DeGrom right now. He's good, but IMO he's more All Star good than the Cy Young level he's been on this far, he's likely at his apex right now. I'm fine with holding on to Thor though, his value is probably down a bit with all the injuries and the Mets aren't such a mess organizationally that they have to tear it all the way down to the screws.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:46 pm

DeGrom is only 2.5 years from free agency.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:51 pm

Banedon wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Completely disagree. The Mets are garbage. They haven't been able to keep pitching healthy in basically forever. There's no reason to expect that will suddenly change. And even so, they have a trash offense. They'd be better off going the full rebuild route, imo.

Yup, the Mets are in a bad place and their farm system isn't great either. The rebuilds in ATL and PHI are almost over and they have young players ready to make an impact. I think ATL is going to dominate the division again over the next 2-3 years.

Nats will still be good as well. The Mets window is closing and they should sell high on DeGrom if teams are willing to give up a good package of prospects. I wouldn't move Thor because he has an extra year of control. I believe he won't become a FA for another 3 years (after 2021).

The Mets need a new GM/Team President and probably a new organizational philosophy too. Building a team around a young talented core of pitchers is a dangerous approach that will most often blow up in your face.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:20 pm

the mets organization as a whole needs an enema.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:49 pm

DeGrom for Happ/Russell makes me swoon.

I'd also see if I couldn't get Starlin back and put him a 2nd when Javy slides over to SS.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:18 pm

CubinNY wrote:DeGrom for Happ/Russell makes me swoon.

I'd also see if I couldn't get Starlin back and put him a 2nd when Javy slides over to SS.

I’m not including Russell for him. Happ and Almora + non Amaya prospect(s) I’d do and then find a RHH OF (like Maybin).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:41 pm

CubinNY wrote:DeGrom for Happ/Russell makes me swoon.

Wait, Happ AND Russell? That seems like way too much.

Though this did get me to check in on Starlin; hes having a nice little season, especially given that he's playing in the pit of suck and despair that is the Marlins.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:12 pm

If you can make a deal for DeGrom using Happ and Almora and basically any reasonable permutation of minor leaguers, that's realllly hard for me to turn down. Especially with Bote looking at least LaStella-caliber with the bat, you can add a bench OF too and shift more of Zobrist's innings to the OF without losing too much. If Bote isn't for real you lose the super-duper depth of position player even if you add Harper for 2019, but DeGrom is very, very good.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:If you can make a deal for DeGrom using Happ and Almora and basically any reasonable permutation of minor leaguers, that's realllly hard for me to turn down. Especially with Bote looking at least LaStella-caliber with the bat, you can add a bench OF too and shift more of Zobrist's innings to the OF without losing too much. If Bote isn't for real you lose the super-duper depth of position player even if you add Harper for 2019, but DeGrom is very, very good.

This is my thinking as well. Bote seems to be able to replace Happ within reason and this might be Almora’s peak year which is plenty fine but a 2-3 WAR OF isn’t that hard to find/replace (like I mentioned Maybin as an in season replacement). I also am just not a huge fan of Almora’s profile long term in terms of ever being much more than a 2-3 WAR player. Plus it opens things up for Bryce in the OF in the offseason and doesn’t make a Happ/Almora trade a forced trade in the offseason. Then you maybe also look to add a bench bat that’s RHH and capabale or playing CF in the offseason.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:If you can make a deal for DeGrom using Happ and Almora and basically any reasonable permutation of minor leaguers, that's realllly hard for me to turn down. Especially with Bote looking at least LaStella-caliber with the bat, you can add a bench OF too and shift more of Zobrist's innings to the OF without losing too much. If Bote isn't for real you lose the super-duper depth of position player even if you add Harper for 2019, but DeGrom is very, very good.

This is my thinking as well. Bote seems to be able to replace Happ within reason and this might be Almora’s peak year which is plenty fine but a 2-3 WAR OF isn’t that hard to find/replace (like I mentioned Maybin as an in season replacement). I also am just not a huge fan of Almora’s profile long term in terms of ever being much more than a 2-3 WAR player. Plus it opens things up for Bryce in the OF in the offseason and doesn’t make a Happ/Almora trade a forced trade in the offseason. Then you maybe also look to add a bench bat that’s RHH and capabale or playing CF in the offseason.

Does Happ even start in the Mets outfield when Cespedes comes back?
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:45 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Does Happ even start in the Mets outfield when Cespedes comes back?

He’s be their starting 3B/2B with spending time in the OF
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”