Regular Season Rumors

Duke Silver
Superstar

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:36 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:The Brewers using league-best defensive efficiency to take a rotation full of 5th starters to the top of the NL and then lighting it on fire to add a couple mediocre bats to their lineup sure is something.

When you have a chance to add in a .306 OBP and a .273 OBP, you have to take that risk.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:37 pm

Banedon wrote:The Mets doing absolutely nothing is hilarious.

I hope all their pitchers arms fall off. Absolutely idiotic of them to not move anyone.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:37 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:The Brewers using league-best defensive efficiency to take a rotation full of 5th starters to the top of the NL and then lighting it on fire to add a couple mediocre bats to their lineup sure is something.

You and Duke are hilarious.

Shaw is plus at 3B, obv too soon to tell at 2B but the Brewers value defense and appear to not be a dumb FO so there's at least some faith he can pass there. Moustakas has been a plus 3B this year and every year except last. Schoop is going to be not good at SS but the bat is heating up and if the point is to improve as a whole, the Brewers did that.

Hopefully as a small market team they pull a Pirates and they have a brief window that snaps shut very suddenly, but the nonstop jokes at their expense is hilariously transparent from both of you.
2 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I know we're kinda locked in to the roster we have but yeeeeeeesh, it has not been a good year of transactions for Theo and Co.

I'm okay with we did, would've been nice to do more but think we made some solid moves. Smyly could be back soon too and always was kinda like a deadline addition we bought in the winter.

I'll take that bet that Smyly is even remotely passable in his first couple months back from TJ.

Reminder: he hasn't pitched in 1 2/3 seasons. Is there even any real indication he's going to throw an inning for us this year?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:42 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote: but the nonstop jokes at their expense is hilariously transparent from both of you.

You want a transparent joke at the brewers expense? I can get you a transparent joke at the Brewers expense.

3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:42 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I know we're kinda locked in to the roster we have but yeeeeeeesh, it has not been a good year of transactions for Theo and Co.

I'm okay with we did, would've been nice to do more but think we made some solid moves. Smyly could be back soon too and always was kinda like a deadline addition we bought in the winter.

I'll take that bet that Smyly is even remotely passable in his first couple months back from TJ.

Reminder: he hasn't pitched in 1 2/3 seasons. Is there even any real indication he's going to throw an inning for us this year?

Pretty sure he's going on a rehab assignment soon. He's done 1, if not 2, sim games in the last weekish.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I'm okay with we did, would've been nice to do more but think we made some solid moves. Smyly could be back soon too and always was kinda like a deadline addition we bought in the winter.

Pretty sure he's going on a rehab assignment soon. He's done 1, if not 2, sim games in the last weekish.

Again, he hasn't pitched since 2016. Even if he goes on the rehab assignment in a week, you don't miss almost two full seasons, go throw 20 innings in A ball and then come up in a pennant race and help/make a playoff roster.

The smyly signing was good, but for reasons beyond 2018.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:44 pm

Shaw is plus at 3B, obv too soon to tell at 2B but the Brewers value defense and appear to not be a dumb FO so there's at least some faith he can pass there. Moustakas has been a plus 3B this year and every year except last. Schoop is going to be not good at SS but the bat is heating up and if the point is to improve as a whole, the Brewers did that.

Hopefully as a small market team they pull a Pirates and they have a brief window that snaps shut very suddenly, but the nonstop jokes at their expense is hilariously transparent from both of you.

No these moves are pretty dumb
5 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 pm

They are winning much the same way we are: Getting 5 innings out of their bad starting pitching because they play elite defense and can limit run production in those five innings. Then they hand it over to their elite bullpen to shut things down. (They, however, have a middling offense. But that hasn't mattered.)

It just doesn't seem smart to expose that starting pitching by playing a bad second baseman at short and a 240 lb. third baseman at second. Moose and Schoop aren't even that good. If they got worse defensively by adding Manny Machado, it would be a different story.

But they had an identity and it was helping them win games. They were somewhat 2015 Royal-like. Now they are throwing all caution to the wind to get incrementally better offensively.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Pretty sure he's going on a rehab assignment soon.

That was Bryant and he already relapsed.

He's done 1, if not 2, sim games in the last weekish.

There was a July 15 article claiming he hoped to do a minor league rehab starting in one week (which would have been a week ago).

He did a sim game a week after that article, July 22 and was supposedly set to do another July 26. But 6 days later this article game out.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/ ... back-mound

“He threw on the side the other day,” Joe Maddon said. “I didn't get anything negative. I didn't get to watch it because I was kind of busy, but nobody said anything bad about it. It ended up not being a sim game, that's all I know. But there was nothing, not like he's hurting, I didn't get any of that.”

“His next step will be a sim game, it sounds like,” Theo Epstein said. “Trying to pick the right day as we figure out his timing and go off how he's feeling too.”

The natural progression after a sim game would be sending him out on a rehab start, but the Cubs aren't pushing it. They're going to let Smyly take his time to get back to the mound.

“I mean, it'll depend on how he's feeling and how it goes,” said Epstein. “We don't want to rush into a rehab assignment because then you start the clock, and there's no rush. We'll make sure he's really good and ready.”

So he's not close.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:48 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

Again, he hasn't pitched since 2016. Even if he goes on the rehab assignment in a week, you don't miss almost two full seasons, go throw 20 innings in A ball and then come up in a pennant race and help/make a playoff roster.

The smyly signing was good, but for reasons beyond 2018.

If he can be pitching by middle of August in the minors or MLB he absolutely could make the roster if he's throwing well and they've said so much as that when he signed and as he's progressed lately.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

it gets the same "ahahah wow galaxy brain" jokes that all their other moves do, but nothing substantive. Everything the brewers have done since what, last trade deadline, get a bunch of "this won't work" jokes that everyone pretends counts as analysis.

"Travis Shaw can't play second base he's 240 pounds! Wow Moustakas at third? Guess their pitching won't be good anymore." That's not analysis, it's wish-casting.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

it gets the same "ahahah wow galaxy brain" jokes that all their other moves do, but nothing substantive. Everything the brewers have done since what, last trade deadline, get a bunch of "this won't work" jokes that everyone pretends counts as analysis.

"Travis Shaw can't play second base he's 240 pounds! Wow Moustakas at third? Guess their pitching won't be good anymore." That's not analysis, it's wish-casting.

Well it didn't work last deadline when they missed the playoffs. A lot of the things they have done with the information we have are at best odd moves and at worst really dumb moves.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

are you just mad that they're the ones making fun of stuff without posting anything of substance and not you this time?
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:No these moves are pretty dumb

Well it didn't work last deadline when they missed the playoffs. A lot of the things they have done with the information we have are at best odd moves and at worst really dumb moves.

you mean blowing like a 7 game lead and missing the playoffs wasn't their goal last year?
6 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:No these moves are pretty dumb

are you just mad that they're the ones making fun of stuff without posting anything of substance and not you this time?

7 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:57 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

you mean blowing like a 7 game lead and missing the playoffs wasn't their goal last year?

which moves made by the brewers do you disagree with and why?
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:57 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:it gets the same "ahahah wow galaxy brain" jokes that all their other moves do, but nothing substantive. Everything the brewers have done since what, last trade deadline, get a bunch of "this won't work" jokes that everyone pretends counts as analysis.

I haven't really done that. I'm sure I made fun of them for not doing anything of substance at the deadline last year -- which might have been smart since they finished one game out of the Wild Card. But I thought the Yelich move was a great move. I praised them for it.

I thought the Cain move was odd, since I thought they should have focused more on pitching. That move is working great for them now. But it remains to be seen how it will look long-term.

Mainly I've been critical of him taking half measures. The galaxy brain stuff is normally reserved for their fans. But he's went full brewerfan.net poster this deadline.
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 pm

by the way i think the galaxy brain/4d chess/etc. jokes are more at the expense of the brewerfan posters than the actual brewers FO
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Well it didn't work last deadline when they missed the playoffs. A lot of the things they have done with the information we have are at best odd moves and at worst really dumb moves.

They basically did nothing at the deadline last year except Swarzak (I think), if they added Q or another SP or another bat they could've held us off or made the WC. They went in to the year planning on guys like Sogard, Arcia, Villar, their catchers, Santana and a whole rotation that had questions all over them and all those bats died (luckily Aguilar hit like Trout in the first half to make up for it) and the defense helps shield horsefeathers starting pitching and now they are doing something likely hurt why the SP was doing good enough while also barely improving on offense.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 pm

David wrote:by the way i think the galaxy brain/4d chess/etc. jokes are more at the expense of the brewerfan posters than the actual brewers FO

They are, from me at least, they started this offseason when that board was going nuts about every move/non move
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Duke Silver wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:it gets the same "ahahah wow galaxy brain" jokes that all their other moves do, but nothing substantive. Everything the brewers have done since what, last trade deadline, get a bunch of "this won't work" jokes that everyone pretends counts as analysis.

I haven't really done that. I'm sure I made fun of them for not doing anything of substance at the deadline last year -- which might have been smart since they finished one game out of the Wild Card. But I thought the Yelich move was a great move. I praised them for it.

I thought the Cain move was odd, since I thought they should have focused more on pitching. That move is working great for them now. But it remains to be seen how it will look long-term.

Mainly I've been critical of him taking half measures. The galaxy brain stuff is normally reserved for their fans. But he's went full brewerfan.net poster this deadline.

Yup
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 pm

Duke Silver wrote:

They went from Shaw/Arcia/VillarPerez to Moustakas/Schoop/Shaw. That's an upgrade no matter how much Shaw weighs. Put Shaw in the OF and Schoop at 2B when you have a GB pitcher on the mound if you're that worried about defense.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:02 pm

David wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Well it didn't work last deadline when they missed the playoffs. A lot of the things they have done with the information we have are at best odd moves and at worst really dumb moves.

cain signing was weird as horsefeathers

not trading for a starter today and instead getting trash bag jonathan schoop is strange too, even with the recent hot streak

anything beyond that is expecting way too much out of me. i haven't put that sort of effort into posting here since i was a much younger and bigger nerd.
2 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

David wrote:by the way i think the galaxy brain/4d chess/etc. jokes are more at the expense of the brewerfan posters than the actual brewers FO

Definitely. Stearns must have hired away Keith Stone in the last month.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”