Regular Season Rumors

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 117
x 831

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:00 pm

Jon Morosi said on MLB Network he could see a Beltre to Chicago deal happening in August.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31873
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2013
x 4945
Contact:

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 pm

David wrote:This is so horsefeathering dumb. The Cubs have averaged something like over 95 wins a year and haven't missed an NLCS since 2014. I'm going to act like it. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. It's not that serious.


it doesn't have anything to do with the cubs. they're awesome. i put up with a lot of trash to experience this good window and im gonna suck every drop out of it.

i just think you have people who react to every brandon kintzler trade by going ELITE SOFT CONTACT THEO DOES IT AGAIN and then scoff at every move the brewers make like they're some foolish band of idiots fumbling around. And what we see is that the brewers are an actual good team who are making incremental improvements and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they're just slightly worse than we are.
4 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31272
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 464

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:05 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:it's just a little weird that this board has spent 4 months making fun of the small market brewers at every stop when they've played even with the cubs the entire season. we all make fun of brewerfan.net (as we should), but you could just as easily look at it from the other side and marvel at how cocky/defensive a lot of people on nsbb are about the cubs this season. it honestly starts to feel like post-2004 boston sports arrogance at times.


The Cubs are on pace to get as much value from Bryant, Rizzo, and Darvish combined as Bryant provided last year, and they have the best record in the national league.

I'm not on the doom boner train - I'm not remotely worried about holding off Milwaukee - but this would be a much more heartening fact if we had solid reason to believe Bryant or Darvish were going to be Bryant or Darvish from this point on.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31272
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 464

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Andy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:06 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:Jon Morosi said on MLB Network he could see a Beltre to Chicago deal happening in August.

Beltre said he wants to finish his career in Texas earlier today and I'm pretty sure he has no-trade rights.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 117
x 831

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 pm

Andy wrote:
itisallpartoftheplan wrote:Jon Morosi said on MLB Network he could see a Beltre to Chicago deal happening in August.

Beltre said he wants to finish his career in Texas earlier today and I'm pretty sure he has no-trade rights.


He was speculating, said Belte wanted to retire a Ranger, so could sign after the season. That he feels like Chicago is a place Beltre would be willing to go.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 1019
x 567

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby ConstableRabbit » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:14 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
David wrote:This is so horsefeathering dumb. The Cubs have averaged something like over 95 wins a year and haven't missed an NLCS since 2014. I'm going to act like it. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. It's not that serious.


it doesn't have anything to do with the cubs. they're awesome. i put up with a lot of trash to experience this good window and im gonna suck every drop out of it.

i just think you have people who react to every brandon kintzler trade by going ELITE SOFT CONTACT THEO DOES IT AGAIN and then scoff at every move the brewers make like they're some foolish band of idiots fumbling around. And what we see is that the brewers are an actual good team who are making incremental improvements and it's not out of the realm of possibility that they're just slightly worse than we are.

The reaction to the Cubs adding Kintzler on this board has generally been 'meh, he doesn't strike anyone out but at least is a soft contact guy. Oh well, we didn't give anything up and it's not like we have to rely on him.' There is concurrently legitimate confusion as to why Milwaukee has traded assets -- some of them of the decent, MLB variety -- in moves that affect their everyday lineup that may be detrimental to their team, which is objectively playing above its weight as-is. They either think their starters are going to start striking more guys out or that the guys they're playing out of position are going to be better than they've been in the past. That's weird and we should question why!
5 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10969
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11895
x 8394

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm on record as being very "meh" about the Cubs moves. Had Theo traded for Adrian Beltre and tried to play him at short, I would have called him a brain genius, too.
4 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14782
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4230
x 1450

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby The Logan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:18 am

3 x
Image

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 95

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby champaignchris » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 am

ConstableRabbit wrote:One man's cocky is another man's... horsefeathers it CUBZ RULE BREWERS DROOL


Well, the Cubs do in fact rule, while the Brewers’ drooling has been patently obvious for some time now.
0 x

NotSoSober
All-Star
Posts: 4749
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:58 am
x 5
x 276

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby NotSoSober » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 am

Archer to the Pirates for Meadows and Glasnow.. Am I crazy for thinking Tampa easily got away with a steal?
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65582
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4452
x 4421

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Banedon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:09 pm

If mocking the Brewers is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

FWIW, this isn't just Cubs fanboys/meatballs that are scratching their heads at Milwaukee's moves. Plenty of national writers/commentators/experts were scratching their heads too. Rosenthal thought it was weird enough he was questioning reporting it.

This is my 18th year as a national baseball writer, but on Tuesday I experienced a first: Never before had I received information that seemed so unrealistic, I was hesitant to even go with it.

On Friday, I had reported on Twitter that the Milwaukee Brewers were in serious discussions with the Baltimore Orioles, but I did not know who the Brewers were targeting — second baseman Jonathan Schoop, right-hander Kevin Gausman or both.

When the Brewers landed third baseman Mike Moustakas that night and announced they intended to move Travis Shaw to second, it seemed reasonable to rule out Schoop for Milwaukee. But about 25 minutes before the deadline, I received information that the Brewers were targeting Schoop, then confirmed it with a second source.

The idea made no sense to me, but I had followed my normal reporting process, and at that moment who was I to judge? My job is to report, not play general manager. So I reported the Schoop discussions between the Orioles and Brewers on Twitter, then talked about them cautiously on MLB Network, openly admitting I did not know what was going on.


https://theathletic.com/454272/2018/08/ ... is-archer/

Of course his next line was "Cubz Rule Brewerz Drool" so who knows.
1 x
Image

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
x 1105
x 289

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Guancous » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:10 pm

NotSoSober wrote:Archer to the Pirates for Meadows and Glasnow.. Am I crazy for thinking Tampa easily got away with a steal?


There’s also a chance the Pirates just picked up a solid starter in exchange for Juan Cruz and Chris Coghlan.
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8205
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 1019
x 567

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby ConstableRabbit » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:14 pm

Banedon wrote:If mocking the Brewers is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

FWIW, this isn't just Cubs fanboys/meatballs that are scratching their heads at Milwaukee's moves. Plenty of national writers/commentators/experts were scratching their heads too. Rosenthal thought it was weird enough he was questioning reporting it.

This is my 18th year as a national baseball writer, but on Tuesday I experienced a first: Never before had I received information that seemed so unrealistic, I was hesitant to even go with it.

On Friday, I had reported on Twitter that the Milwaukee Brewers were in serious discussions with the Baltimore Orioles, but I did not know who the Brewers were targeting — second baseman Jonathan Schoop, right-hander Kevin Gausman or both.

When the Brewers landed third baseman Mike Moustakas that night and announced they intended to move Travis Shaw to second, it seemed reasonable to rule out Schoop for Milwaukee. But about 25 minutes before the deadline, I received information that the Brewers were targeting Schoop, then confirmed it with a second source.

The idea made no sense to me, but I had followed my normal reporting process, and at that moment who was I to judge? My job is to report, not play general manager. So I reported the Schoop discussions between the Orioles and Brewers on Twitter, then talked about them cautiously on MLB Network, openly admitting I did not know what was going on.


https://theathletic.com/454272/2018/08/ ... is-archer/

Of course his next line was "Cubz Rule Brewerz Drool" so who knows.

Damn, I need to trademark that.
0 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 20
x 105

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm

The Nationals just DFAd Shawn Kelley for throwing his glove after giving up a home run. What a joke.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57837
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2081
x 6802

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:The Nationals just DFAd Shawn Kelley for throwing his glove after giving up a home run. What a joke.

5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1045
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 211
x 675

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:28 pm

0 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55417
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 398
x 5518

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.
0 x

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 31873
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2013
x 4945
Contact:

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.


i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 2706
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 726
x 678

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby squally1313 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:09 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.


i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow


4.15 HR/9, unbelievable.
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74954
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8340
x 11188

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:37 pm

squally1313 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.


i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow


4.15 HR/9, unbelievable.


Matt Andriese delivered a similar gift after being traded to Arizona:

https://deadspin.com/lights-go-out-on-d ... 1827993632

Relief is Arizona’s most glaring weakness, and last week’s acquisition of Matt Andriese from the Rays hasn’t paid dividends just yet: Andriese took the loss last night, and has allowed four earned runs and three home runs in four innings of work with his new club.


Ouch.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14782
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lincoln Park
x 4230
x 1450

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby The Logan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:05 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.


i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow


I had forgotten Shawn Kelly was a baseball player and not some non descript Irish pub owner.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33230
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1418
x 1298

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:29 pm

If the Cubs are so great, how come they're tied with the stupid, pointless Brewers?
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2089
x 373

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby cl smooth » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:46 pm

The Logan wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Kelley has given up 26 home runs in his last 90 major league innings. That's incredible.


i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow


I had forgotten Shawn Kelly was a baseball player and not some non descript Irish pub owner.


Image
0 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5249
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 am
x 17
x 245

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby TMan92 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:19 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
i had forgotten just how bad he was last year, wow


4.15 HR/9, unbelievable.


Matt Andriese delivered a similar gift after being traded to Arizona:

https://deadspin.com/lights-go-out-on-d ... 1827993632

Relief is Arizona’s most glaring weakness, and last week’s acquisition of Matt Andriese from the Rays hasn’t paid dividends just yet: Andriese took the loss last night, and has allowed four earned runs and three home runs in four innings of work with his new club.


Ouch.


Is that called pulling a Warren or a WIlson?
0 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 708
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 95

Re: Regular Season Rumors

Postby champaignchris » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:08 pm

TMan92 wrote:Is that called pulling a Warren or a WIlson?


The dude now has a 3.18 career ERA in 408 innings when pitching for anyone other than the Cubs. I’m still pretty miffed at how that Castro trade panned out. I know the Cubs eventually got Chapman out of Warren, but he could have pitched to expectations and the Cubs could have traded a different bum reliever back to New York instead.
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SouthSideRyan and 5 guests