Inner-Circle HOF

Gleyber Torres Getting Called up to the Bigs

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 pm

0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Re: Gleyber Torres Getting Called up to the Bigs

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/railriderstt/status/987833099194195968?s=21

Probably sending Stanton down to work on his swing.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 pm

Time to continually remind myself the Cubs won the World Series
1 x
Win it for Fred

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 am

UMFan83 wrote:Time to continually remind myself the Cubs won the World Series

Pull up video of the 8 out save in Game 5
4 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:31 am

What exactly is Torres good at other than being young for each level he’s played at? His numbers aren’t crazy good.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:What exactly is Torres good at other than being young for each level he’s played at? His numbers aren’t crazy good.

Lotsa people still prospect-crazy around here.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 am

I did laugh at this:

3 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 am

Torres could turn into the next Ernie Banks and I wouldn't give a fuuuccckk
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 am

Cubswin11 wrote:What exactly is Torres good at other than being young for each level he’s played at? His numbers aren’t crazy good.

I’ve been beating this drum for years. Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to have next-gen Placido Polanco on my team, but that is not a thing that I will have an ounce of regret about losing.
2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:00 am

Derwood wrote:Torres could turn into the next Ernie Banks and I wouldn't give a fuuuccckk

eloy would be the painful one
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:03 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Derwood wrote:Torres could turn into the next Ernie Banks and I wouldn't give a fuuuccckk

Yeah Eloy could sting but I probably still do the Q trade every time even if you tell me Eloy is going to be a monster
0 x
Screw Pitchers

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 am

sometimes with guys scouted favorably that's enough to portend semi-stardom: Lindor, DiDi, Albies...
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:25 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

Yeah Eloy could sting but I probably still do the Q trade every time even if you tell me Eloy is going to be a monster

I worry way more about trading Eloy than over trading Gleyber, and if Eloy does actually turn into a monster offensively I will regret the Q trade. We had to upgrade our bullpen in 2016 and I'm pretty confident in saying without Chapman we don't win the WS. Honestly, without trading for Chapman and Montgomery we might not have won the WS.

That said, I wish we had targeted Andrew Miller over Chapman in retrospect even if that meant we had to trade Gleyber + other good prospects to get him.

IF we sign Harper this offseason then I'll feel better about trading Eloy. We'd have no place to play him and the Cubs would have to trade him anyway. Now, if we don't sign Harper and are stuck with Heyward I'm gonna be pissed...
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:34 am

Eloy is the second-coming of Nomar Mazara.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:35 am

I would have said Jorge, but he's not that sexy.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:37 am

Duke Silver wrote:Eloy is the second-coming of Nomar Mazara.

I'm pretty confident in saying Eloy will be better than Nomar Mazara. I have no idea how Mazara is doing right now lol.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:39 am

Regular Show wrote:

I'm pretty confident in saying Eloy will be better than Nomar Mazara. I have no idea how Mazara is doing right now lol.

Not as well as everyone thought he'd be doing.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:42 am

Duke Silver wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

No one was comping Mazara to Miguel Cabrera. I mean that comp is ridiculous for any prospect, but some scout/exec said that about Eloy's ceiling.

I'm a big fan of Eloy and think posters here are underrating him. I like him way more than I ever liked Soler.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:58 am

Regular Show wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

No one was comping Mazara to Miguel Cabrera. I mean that comp is ridiculous for any prospect, but some scout/exec said that about Eloy's ceiling.

I'm a big fan of Eloy and think posters here are underrating him. I like him way more than I ever liked Soler.

Whoever is comparing prospects to Miguel Cabrera is being ridiculous, so I don't see why that random comp really matters.

But Mazara was very highly thought of a couple years ago. Maybe a little below Eloy's level, but both were viewed as top-5 to top-10 prospects. Eloy was a little higher, mostly on the top-5 side.

My main point, though, is that they are both huge individuals that aren't really that athletic and won't provide value on defense or on the bases. Everyone thought Mazara's bat was a sure thing, like Eloy's, despite both having some swing-and-miss and not really walking much. Eloy is going to have to hit the horsefeathers out of the ball to accrue much value. He hasn't really shown me enough for me to think that's a sure thing. I think he can hit and hit well, but I don't think he'll be all that great of an all-around player.

Eloy's also had some injuries problems already. And that doesn't really portend good vibes for his health as he gets older, with his bigass body.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:10 am

I could be wrong. Sometimes Aaron Judge turns into Aaron Judge. But if I'm betting on an all-bat guy with huge raw power, I'm going to look for a young guy that is putting up Giancarlo Stanton-like numbers in the minors. Eloy just doesn't impress me that much.

I think Eloy will be a good hitter. I think he'll give the White Sox some nice value. But I don't think he'll be a guy I'll be yearning to have. I think he's going to strike out a little too much, probably not walk enough, and definitely not play defense well enough for him to be an elite-level player.

But he might turn into Aaron Judge.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:14 am

Regular Show wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

I worry way more about trading Eloy than over trading Gleyber, and if Eloy does actually turn into a monster offensively I will regret the Q trade. We had to upgrade our bullpen in 2016 and I'm pretty confident in saying without Chapman we don't win the WS. Honestly, without trading for Chapman and Montgomery we might not have won the WS.

That said, I wish we had targeted Andrew Miller over Chapman in retrospect even if that meant we had to trade Gleyber + other good prospects to get him.

IF we sign Harper this offseason then I'll feel better about trading Eloy. We'd have no place to play him and the Cubs would have to trade him anyway. Now, if we don't sign Harper and are stuck with Heyward I'm gonna be pissed...

I'm with you on looking back with how regarded Torres was/still is it would've been nice to have gotten Miller over Chapman and then had super pen with him and Davis last year or been able to use Soler for something else, but water under the bridge and Chapman was key in winning the WS so.....

It's going to take a lot for Eloy to be "that" valuable. He isn't going to offer defensive value so it's not like we gave up a 5+ WAR level guy and he's going to have to really, really hit to be worth much. I think a Khris Davis type player is a decent ceiling comp. I trade that every time for like the 7th best pitcher in MLB since 2014 or whatever that stat is on Q who is controlled for cheap for 3.5 years at the time of the deal in prime years. We likely don't make the playoffs last year without Q and we got to 3 wins from a WS because we got in the playoffs.

I think Bryce is always part of this calculus by the FO as well. Eloy becomes a little more expandable because Harper is target #1 this offseason. We also had a need for but severe lack of internal SP options on the horizon at the time, 3 starters needed to be found for this year going back to last year. There also were plenty of in house options under the age of ~27 for the offense (most of whom were regarded just as much as Eloy as prospects) that Eloy wasn't an absolute need to keep since the offense wasn't lacking.

The FO also has shown an ability to find and develop bats and hasn't done that yet with pitching. Obviously there was an emphasis on bats the first years they were here but I have a lot more faith in them (and they likely do in themselves) that they can find another Eloy or Torres much easier and sooner than a Quintana through IFA or the draft. Not even getting in to that it seems smarter and the plan all along to draft/sign and develop hitters first then acquire the pitchers with the surplus of bats when the window is open as opposed to trying to draft/sign pitchers to develop in house since they are more volatile.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 am

I still think the best future MLer they've traded is a chunky A ball SS by the name of Isaac Paredes,who also won't be missed. Jimenez and Torres strike me as 3 WAR players. Jimenez will be limited by his non-bat skills and nagging injuries, Torres by being unspectacular.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:27 pm

sneakypower wrote:

sometimes with guys scouted favorably that's enough to portend semi-stardom: Lindor, DiDi, Albies...

Those guys have much louder tools than Gleyber though. Torres has jumped up lists due to an absence of glaring weaknesses and extreme youth for his level, not because he has any particular future strength.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 am

I thought I might start to regret Eloy if Kyle didn't get his groove back but that man is killing it again so whatever
0 x

Return to “Transactions”