5-Time All-Star

Re: Heyman: Nationals close to acquiring Kelvin Herrera

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:02 am

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:20 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1008858790966497280?s=21

I wonder if this deal includes Carter Kieboom. Their farm system isn't that loaded once you get past Soto/Robles...
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 am

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/06/ ... rrera.html

This deal does not include Carter Kieboom and I'm not familiar with these prospects.

The Nationals have officially struck a deal to acquire reliever Kelvin Herrera from the Royals, representing a fascinating early swap. Outfielder Blake Perkins, third baseman Kelvin Gutierrez, and righty Yohanse Morel will head to Kansas City in return.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 am

The haul is mediocre.

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:54 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:The haul is mediocre.

Yeah, I don't believe this is a great haul so it's strange that they decided to do this deal now. I mean maybe one of these prospects turns into something...

Kelvin Gutierrez is ranked #10, Blake Perkins is ranked #11, and Yohanse Morel is unranked on MLB's prospect rankings.

Why didn't KC wait till closer to the trade deadline?
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:51 am

That's it? Really? The Nationals system has a healthy amount of talent, ranging from raw upside guys to high floor guys. That's it for Kelvin Herrera? Wow. Really, just [expletive] wow. I'm glad they trust their scouts, but I half thought Kelvin Herrera could've netted a fairly solid, polished prospect.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:01 am

Okay, a second to think about it ... and I'm still perplexed.

Look, Guiterrez is a nice bat. He's got a nice stroke, don't think he'll ever have that much pop unless the swing changes. If you squint really hard, you can sort of see something like Jeimer Candelario.

Blake Perkins has a lot of raw tools. It's exciting, but so was Bubba Starling.

The Nationals spent big time in the international market a couple years back, and they had some more intriguing raw talent, IMO, than the top guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yohanse Morel ended up being the best asset in the deal. Mid-upper 90's fastball with a plus slider is a nice starting point.
1 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 am

It's crazy they only had to pay that much for a rental but we are going to give up Russell, Happ, and Baez for Machado.
3 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:27 am

Duke Silver wrote:It's crazy they only had to pay that much for a rental but we are going to give up Russell, Happ, and Baez for Machado.

Well if they are going to take Jeffery Baez and Keri Russel for Machado they can have Happ AND Leonard.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

toonsterwu
All-Star

Re: Nationals acquire Kelvin Herrera

Postby toonsterwu » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:10 pm

A day later, I'm still mystified by this deal. Even if you acknowledge Herrera as being a touch over-rated ... he was still likely one of the better available pen arms out there. I've got to think the target was Morel here - too much is known about Perkins and Gutierrez.

Nationals shore up their bullpen (middle relief as a big problem), and probably still have the ability to go after another starter, if they so desire. I really wonder if they might end up shopping Adam Eaton for a SP perhaps. Wouldn't be right now ... maybe a month from now, when there's more certainty on what Juan Soto's performance for the rest of the year might be like.
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Re: Nationals acquire Kelvin Herrera

Postby illiniguy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:27 pm

toonsterwu wrote:A day later, I'm still mystified by this deal. Even if you acknowledge Herrera as being a touch over-rated ... he was still likely one of the better available pen arms out there. I've got to think the target was Morel here - too much is known about Perkins and Gutierrez.

Nationals shore up their bullpen (middle relief as a big problem), and probably still have the ability to go after another starter, if they so desire. I really wonder if they might end up shopping Adam Eaton for a SP perhaps. Wouldn't be right now ... maybe a month from now, when there's more certainty on what Juan Soto's performance for the rest of the year might be like.

Dayton Moore is so bad.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”