Cubs Acquire Cole Hamels for Eddie Butler, Rollie Lacy & PTBNL

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs Acquire Cole Hamels for Eddie Butler, Rollie Lacy & PTBNL

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:22 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
d_money wrote:What’s the team option for 2019 on Hamels? Would he be interested in a 2 year deal?

Team option for $20 million or $6 million buyout (which would be paid by Rangers). If Cubs elect to bring him back for $20 million, the Rangers are off the hook for any future $$; Cubs would get no salary relief.

Yeah no way we exercise that $20 million option. If he’d be open to a Cishek type 2 year deal I’d be interested as it could make Monty more available to be packaged with a Almora or Happ for another pitcher (assuming Bryce is also brought in).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:28 pm

I hope we don't trade Montgomery unless its part of some superstar return. He is so underappreciated.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 am

So Cole Hamels is pitching really well and looks like a different pitcher in his short time here. If he keeps pitching this well (and does well in the playoffs) I think the Cubs seriously consider picking up his option. Not necessarily to keep him, but to use as a nice trade chip. If we're going after Bryce Harper and maybe an elite RP (Britton or Miller) then the Cubs are going over the Luxury Tax threshold.

Cole Hamels at $20 mil isn't a great price or a great value in a trade, but if the Cubs were willing to eat some of that I would think they'd be able to get a decent prospect back. I'm not sure exactly how much, but I think if the Cubs eat $5 mil or so then Hamels for 1 year/$15 mil isn't a bad deal at all.

I could see us making a deal with SD since they have the best farm system in baseball, they have a surplus of prospects right now, Hamels is from SD and they want a veteran pitcher on the team next year (they had heavy interest in deGrom & Syndergaard at the trade deadline). I'm probably looking too far ahead, but I really think the Cubs are going to pick up his option if he continues to perform.

What do you guys think?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:44 am

Pass
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 am

He has a no-trade clause that would block being moved to a significant portion of the league, right?
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Didn't the Cubs decline to pick up the option on Jason Hammel in part because they didn't feel right about picking up an option just to trade a guy?

I could totally see the Cubs declining the option on Hamels and then re-signing him to a Lackey-ish deal. But I don't think there's any way they pick up the option.
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 pm

I think they declined the option on Hammel because he asked Theo to. He wanted to sign a multi year deal with someone and Theo respected it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I think they declined the option on Hammel because he asked Theo to. He wanted to sign a multi year deal with someone and Theo respected it.

Yeah iirc, they had a team option and let Jason decide if he wanted it picked up or not to go get a multi year deal somewhere or stay.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:19 am

Just 17 years of age, Ovalles made his professional debut with the Cubs’ affiliate in the Dominican Summer League this year. Through 21 games and 94 plate appearances, he’s posted a .316/.430/.368 batting line with four doubles and eight steals in 13 tries.

I know nothing about this guy, but he's doing well so far. Still, the fact we're getting prime Cole Hamels + cash for Eddie Butler, Rollie Lacy and this kid is amazing. I really thought they were getting a better prospect, but maybe the Rangers really like this guy.

This might go down as one of the better trades in the Epstein/Hoyer era. Clearly, the Cubs need to make more trades with Texas.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:37 am

So in 2015 I went on a rant to some guy who worked for some team at a MiL game that if the Cubs added Heyward, Hamels, and Chapman they would be monstrous. They have now acquired all three so this counts as me being right. 5 credits, please! 10 if all three are on WS winners!
0 x

Return to “Transactions”