Re: Mike Moustaks to the VBs

Postby TMan92 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:11 am

Ummmmm. Ok.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:30 am

They're aware there isn't a DH in the NL, right?

Aguilar can only play first. Shaw's been playing third and is also a lefty so it's not like they'll be able to run some sort of platoon. He and Moustakas have been pretty similar offensively this year (Shaw walks more) so it's not like they're upgrading at third. I guess they can sit Aguilar a bit against righties but he's got a much better OPS than Moustakas against righties.

The ESPN article says they might put Shaw at 2nd. Seems like he has good defensive numbers at third but putting a 6-4 dude at 2nd seems a bit risky.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:32 am

soccer10k wrote:They're aware there isn't a DH in the NL, right?

Aguilar can only play first. Shaw's been playing third and is also a lefty so it's not like they'll be able to run some sort of platoon. He and Moustakas have been pretty similar offensively this year (Shaw walks more) so it's not like they're upgrading at third. I guess they can sit Aguilar a bit against righties but he's got a much better OPS than Moustakas against righties.

The ESPN article says they might put Shaw at 2nd. Seems like he has good defensive numbers at third but putting a 6-4 dude at 2nd seems a bit risky.

Shaw is going to start at second tomorrow.

Can't wait till the Cubs play the Brewers so we can compare Javy and Shaw defensively.
5 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:02 am

Stearns is horsefeathering with all of us. Right?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:05 am

What a move

9 x
Screw Pitchers

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:22 am

5 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:56 am

soccer10k wrote:They're aware there isn't a DH in the NL, right?

1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Whenever you get the chance to make a super risky defensive shift to fit a guy with Jason Heyward’s bat into the lineup, you definitely gotta give quality trade assets to make that happen.
6 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:54 pm

This is...kind of sad. Like with KB down the Cubs are kind of vulnerable. Add someone who can make a horsefeathering impact. Moustakas is fine, he helps, but where's the Schoop/Gausman deal, or the Dozier/Gibson deal? Or why did they let the Dbacks get Escobsr yesterday?

This just feels so much like the Pirates a few years as go. They're going to "keep their powder dry" so long that they miss their shot.
1 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:04 pm

Stearns doesn't realize that they don't exactly have a young core, huh? Why isn't he looking at the Cubs starting rotation woes & viewing it as an opportunity? I still can't believe they didn't go all-in on a TORP after they did the Cain & Yelich deals.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Let's check in on what our friends at brewerfan.net are thinking about this:

4 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:23 pm

maybe we should chill on dunking on the brewers for making incremental improvements while our apparent trade deadline effort consists of bolstering a rotation of 5 ERA morons by adding 6 ERA moron cole hamels.
4 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:maybe we should chill on dunking on the brewers for making incremental improvements while our apparent trade deadline effort consists of bolstering a rotation of 5 ERA morons by adding 6 ERA moron cole hamels.

They're playing a 6'4" 230-pounder at second tonight and he's never played second base in a game in his life.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:13 am

Duke Silver wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:maybe we should chill on dunking on the brewers for making incremental improvements while our apparent trade deadline effort consists of bolstering a rotation of 5 ERA morons by adding 6 ERA moron cole hamels.

They're playing a 6'4" 230-pounder at second tonight and he's never played second base in a game in his life.

they seem to be a pretty shrewd FO so I guess i give them the benefit of the doubt that he won't be a tire fire there. and even if he is ... all they've gotten out of the position this year is a literal tire fire so it's fine.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Mike Moustaks to the VBs

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:09 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

they seem to be a pretty shrewd FO so I guess i give them the benefit of the doubt that he won't be a tire fire there. and even if he is ... all they've gotten out of the position this year is a literal tire fire so it's fine.

We're supposed to be running away with the division with all the talent advantage we have but largely thanks to the chess moves everyone loves to mock Stearns ran circles around us with their moves this winter. Between just Cain, Yelich, and Chacin they got 10x the war we have from our haul.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:13 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

We're supposed to be running away with the division with all the talent advantage we have but largely thanks to the chess moves everyone loves to mock Stearns ran circles around us with their moves this winter. Between just Cain, Yelich, and Chacin they got 10x the war we have from our haul.

It's a good thing you can field a roster with more than one off-season's transactions.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:24 am

Duke Silver wrote:

It's a good thing you can field a roster with more than one off-season's transactions.

sure is because otherwise we'd be like 10 games back
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Mike Moustaks to the VBs

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 am

Duke Silver wrote:

I get it. I guess I just don't understand the harping on the 4D chess jokes when the off-season has turned out about as bad as we could have realistically imagined so far.
1 x

Return to “Transactions”