Postby Bear Cub » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:28 am

Is Murphy an option to be re-signed?
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: The way too early, but I'm bored, Off-season Options Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm

soccer10k wrote:I know there have been questions about Machado's defense at SS and his insistence on playing there. But how does Harper rate defensively? This year it looks like he's given away a huge chunk of his offensive value on defense. He's been worth negative dWAR on B-R in 4 of his 7 years, with one year at 0.0 and another year at 0.4. Fangraphs appears to have his defense as a negative each of the past 6 seasons.

He is playing a ton of CF this year which I think is a big reason why it’s way down, he’s more of an emergency CF than a real option there. also just watching a lot of their games it seems he’s not going 100% out there to save himself from a costly injury. Maybe that’s just how he plays, but it looks like a guy not willing to slide or dive a ton, run at full speed, get close to walls or players, etc.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Is Murphy an option to be re-signed?

2 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Outside pf the obvious reasons to not bring him back, I have no idea why anyone would want to bring back a 33-year old with a .261 .306 .457 .763 who can't play defense.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 pm

If we were going to spend that much money, I was thinking that Machado was a better option for the Cubs all along. My thought originally was to trade Russell (not much of an option anymore) and put Machado at 3B with Baez at SS and put Bryant in the OF. I had Russell (when he had some value), Schwarber, Bote, and Caratini as trade bait to get what we needed on the pitching staff. Signing a backup SS like the aforementioned and a backup catcher shouldn't be too difficult, but our core (Rizzo, Baez, Contreras, Bryant, etc.) would have to stay healthy because there would be a big drop off in production with cheap backups.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:28 pm

I only want Machado if he can play SS. He’s got 827 career PAs at the position with a .247 IsoSLG and 15% K rate so I’m optimistic he can. Rizzo - Baez - Machado - Bryant would be a pretty damn super teamy infield
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:56 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I only want Machado if he can play SS. He’s got 827 career PAs at the position with a .247 IsoSLG and 15% K rate so I’m optimistic he can. Rizzo - Baez - Machado - Bryant would be a pretty damn super teamy infield

wow i really thought being at SS would .... deflate his .... offensive numbers
5 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

George Hayduke
Starter

Postby George Hayduke » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:38 pm

davell wrote:
So, what does everyone else want? Or do you prefer going after a 2B, and just figuring Bote, Zobrist, Zack Short, and whoever the 2B addition is, can handle things......

Man the Cubs have come a long way from 2015's "LOLOL, so many talented shortstops in the org, how will we ever fit them all on the field?!?" to 2018's "so do we think Zack Short can handle innings at short next year or?"
0 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:44 pm

George Hayduke wrote:
davell wrote:
So, what does everyone else want? Or do you prefer going after a 2B, and just figuring Bote, Zobrist, Zack Short, and whoever the 2B addition is, can handle things......

Man the Cubs have come a long way from 2015's "LOLOL, so many talented shortstops in the org, how will we ever fit them all on the field?!?" to 2018's "so do we think Zack Short can handle innings at short next year or?"

Love me some Nico Hoerner.

It's crazy how Addison Russell's offensive game has gone in the tank. I thought this guy was going to be a superstar.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:01 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:wow i really thought being at SS would .... deflate his .... offensive numbers

I wouldn’t have caught the sarcasm without the likes telling me that I’ve been cleverly had yet again. Meh, makes sense to me

Also keep in mind that the exact same case made for Fowler in CF when acquired could be made for Machado at SS. He reliably makes the routine plays, gets to the likely plays, is strong on the 50/50 plays, and makes his share of unlikely and remote plays. That bat’s a 5-6+ win player at SS even if you’re losing a handful defensive runs, which is what we’re looking at in a season, and it’s no lock Baez is so much better defensively as a full time SS.

I really wanted Baez’s old role to be taken by a post hype guy in Profar or Mondesi but both figured out how to hit a little this year. Maybe the A’s want to make up for Russell and send Barreto over? Probably keep it simple and sign Iglesias for cheap or Hechwhatever for cheaper, bigger things happening hopefully than trying to blow minds at the backup MIF job and they need the glove
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:16 am

Huge if true, guy. HUGE IF TRUE.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:16 am

(It's not true)
0 x
► Show Spoiler

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:51 am

there is going to be a ridiculous amount of pressure on theo this offseason
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:39 am

17 Seconds wrote:there is going to be a ridiculous amount of pressure on theo this offseason

It depends on what happens in the postseason and how far they go. If they reach the WS there really isn't any pressure on Theo or Maddon. Even reaching the NLCS will satisfy most critics.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:50 am

Eh, with the media rights deals coming up and a drop in attendance both there’s going to be some pressure. This was a pretty boring and frustrating Cubs team during the regular season.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:21 am

I guess in some ways, there is a bit. But, context is seriously needed. 4 straight playoff appearances, 3 NLCS's in a row, with a possibility of making it 4. We won that thing we hadn't won since 1908......

Sure, Theo has built something here that now puts out serious expectations......

But, there's teams with more.

The Yankees, because they're the Yankees. And because they haven't won since 2009 and because they reset their luxury tax, at the detriment of this season. And they've got gobs more money than the Cubs do.

The Dodgers, for the exact same reasons as the Yankees, except it's been 30 years since they've won it all.

The Nats, because they've had great rosters for a while and it's getting close to last fall for them, for a bit anyway, unless they keep Bryce.....

The Phillies, because they've rebuilt. They thought they would contend this year, but now will finish under .500. But, literally have 100+ mill to spend, just to hit the LOW end of the LT. They've GOT to spend their money and spend it wisely, not easy to do in FA. Especially if they miss on the big 2.

So yeah, there's a bit of pressure on Theo...... But, it's not that much.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:31 am

davell wrote:I guess in some ways, there is a bit. But, context is seriously needed. 4 straight playoff appearances, 3 NLCS's in a row, with a possibility of making it 4. We won that thing we hadn't won since 1908......

Sure, Theo has built something here that now puts out serious expectations......

The Yankees, because they're the Yankees. And because they haven't won since 2009 and because they reset their luxury tax, at the detriment of this season. And they've got gobs more money than the Cubs do.

The Dodgers, for the exact same reasons as the Yankees, except it's been 30 years since they've won it all.

The Nats, because they've had great rosters for a while and it's getting close to last fall for them, for a bit anyway, unless they keep Bryce.....

The Phillies, because they've rebuilt. They thought they would contend this year, but now will finish under .500. But, literally have 100+ mill to spend, just to hit the LOW end of the LT. They've GOT to spend their money and spend it wisely, not easy to do in FA. Especially if they miss on the big 2.

well it's more about last offseason than anything. assuming they don't go deep in the playoffs (which they still could), people are going to pin that entirely on theo for the darvish and chatwood moves. i'm not saying it's fair, but he's going to have to answer for that. also, the fact that multiple young hitters horsefeathers the bed is going to have people worrying.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:40 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Eh, with the media rights deals coming up and a drop in attendance both there’s going to be some pressure. This was a pretty boring and frustrating Cubs team during the regular season.

Haven’t they jacked up ticket prices the last couple seasons? I feel like that could be just as big of a reason the attendance dropped as the play on the field.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:23 am

17 Seconds wrote:
davell wrote:I guess in some ways, there is a bit. But, context is seriously needed. 4 straight playoff appearances, 3 NLCS's in a row, with a possibility of making it 4. We won that thing we hadn't won since 1908......

well it's more about last offseason than anything. assuming they don't go deep in the playoffs (which they still could), people are going to pin that entirely on theo for the darvish and chatwood moves. i'm not saying it's fair, but he's going to have to answer for that. also, the fact that multiple young hitters horsefeathers the bed is going to have people worrying.

I mean, they've won 94 games. More than last year in a season our MVP played hurt since May and missed over 60 games. And in a year we had our nine figure new starter pitch 8 games. With lots of other stupid horsefeathers go on as well. Honestly, it anything, this season has shown how far we've come as an organization.
3 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm

soccer10k wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Eh, with the media rights deals coming up and a drop in attendance both there’s going to be some pressure. This was a pretty boring and frustrating Cubs team during the regular season.

Haven’t they jacked up ticket prices the last couple seasons? I feel like that could be just as big of a reason the attendance dropped as the play on the field.

It's ridiculous how expensive the tickets are.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 pm

davell wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

I mean, they've won 94 games. More than last year in a season our MVP played hurt since May and missed over 60 games. And in a year we had our nine figure new starter pitch 8 games. With lots of other stupid horsefeathers go on as well. Honestly, it anything, this season has shown how far we've come as an organization.

This organization has come a long way, but we're in a crucial situation depending on how deep into the playoffs they go. Every team has injuries and Bryant's certainly hurt, but the emergence of Baez and the rebound of Zobrist certainly were unexpected. Not too long ago posters were bragging about our depth (position players) and that we had 10 starters for 8 positions and worried about our pitching. This year and last our pitching has kept us competitive while the offense has failed in the clutch.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:07 am

I'm not against listening on Rizzo this off-season. I know, it sounds blasphemous and reactionary, but the idea's been percolating for awhile, particularly with Schwarber's bounce back season.

Now, the problem is, it's going to be awfully hard to construct a deal that makes sense for the Cubs. So, I'm not saying shop Rizzo.

All that said, I don't see them shopping him. I just would ... ponder it. The offense stalled late in the year, and I'd like to ideally change up the dynamic at the top of the lineup. I don't particularly love the juggling act lineups, somewhat out of necessity.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 am

Rizzo isnt going anywhere.
3 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:56 am

Offseason priority list:

1) Get Bryant the best shoulder treatment possible

That alone will fix a lot of problems on the team.
2 x
Spoiler: show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 pm

I wonder if Heyward will opt out?

0 x

Return to “Transactions”