The way too early, but I'm bored, Off-season Options Thread

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: The way too early, but I'm bored, Off-season Options Thread

Postby rawaction » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Bote McBoteface wrote:I know theres no such thing as a lead-off hitter but i feel like the offense is missing a Fowler-type. I’d like to find one of those this offseason. If nothing else, it’ll stop Joe from putting one of middle of the order hitters at lead-off. Who is available?

We need a guy who can put the bat on the ball in clutch situations (to move runners over, to hit a sacrifice fly, etc.). I'm tired of watching batter after batter swing for the fences and then strike out with men in scoring position. We have too many all-or-nothing hitters.

I'm tired of this constant complaint at the end of every Cubs season. A certain segment of the audience always claims the thing the Cubs need is fewer all or nothing hitters and more contact guys.

Does this player even exist anymore? Players are striking out at record levels.

And the Cubs had Zobrist, Murphy, Rizzo, and Heyward who put the ball in play. Almora not too bad either. That's plenty of non-all or nothing hitters.
0 x

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:37 am

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Not to go all Jim Hendry, but our offense was at its best and coolest when Dexter was our leadoff hitter. I'd like to find a cool leadoff hitter and also sign Harper.

We have one. He had the biggest go-ahead hit in Cubs history.
1 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Not to go all Jim Hendry, but our offense was at its best and coolest when Dexter was our leadoff hitter. I'd like to find a cool leadoff hitter and also sign Harper.

I'm thinking more a guy who will be able to play three straight games next season and someone with Dexter-like speed, at least.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

I’d rather leadoff Harper and land a cleanup hitter for behind Bryant and Rizzo.

Harper and Machado it is, then.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:13 am

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I'm thinking more a guy who will be able to play three straight games next season and someone with Dexter-like speed, at least.

So....Harper?
1 x
Spoiler: show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:19 am

Tim wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

So....Harper?

Or Kris.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 am

Any thoughts on signing Matt Moore to a cheap contract if he'll agree to be a reliever? I'm trying to find a free agent pitcher to convert that might agree to sign cheaply. Someone that has struggled for a couple years as a starter that might be able to reach another gear in short outings. Basically Bud Norris from a couple years ago, minus the jerkiness.

Moore has had a lot of success with Hickey before (also before his arm issues). I don't know if he's straight toast or if he could be something in the pen, though.

Actually...

Looks like Texas tried him in the pen this year and it didn't help much. But that's in Texas in the summer, so it could be worth a flier. I'd probably only do it if he signed a minor league deal, though. He'll probably get a mlb contract from someone.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:31 am

I say sign Harper and Jed Lowrie and spend the rest on good relievers. Bring back Jesse Chavez and Cole Hamels.

Send these players away in trades:

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell
    Kintzler (if he picks up his option)

I think Morrow has good value if fully healthy (will have to take a physical to determine that). I don't care how you get rid of those guys: salary dump, bad contract swap, include an okay prospect or two, etc. I don't mind non-tendering Russell if no team is interested in him. horsefeathers him and cut him loose if that's the case.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:36 am

Regular Show wrote:I say sign Harper and Jed Lowrie and spend the rest on good relievers. Bring back Jesse Chavez and Cole Hamels.

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell

I think Morrow has good value if fully healthy (will have to take a physical to determine that). I don't care how you get rid of those guys: salary dump, bad contract swap, include an okay prospect or two, etc. I don't mind non-tendering Russell if no team is interested in him. horsefeathers him and cut him loose if that's the case.

who plays cf?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 am

Tim wrote:
Regular Show wrote:I say sign Harper and Jed Lowrie and spend the rest on good relievers. Bring back Jesse Chavez and Cole Hamels.

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell

who plays cf?

Good question. I'm fine with Happ, but we'll need to sign a decent defensive backup outfielder as well. Someone like Leonys Martin.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:50 am

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell

I can’t see them making that many trades. And some of those guys like Heyward and Morrow it’s not even worth it. Better off holding on to Morrow and hoping the health is better and he’s used better than whatever we’d get back and Heyward would take something really good to attach or a ton of money paid and I just don’t see that being really worth it. The rest I’m fine with moving and maybe Caratini is enough to attach to Duensing for someone to take the money. Hopefully Kintzler opts out and Chatwood has to be unmovable. Russell is def gone in some way.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:28 am

Tim wrote:

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell

who plays cf?

Gore
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:36 am

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:51 am

Old Style wrote:
Tim wrote:

Heyward
    Morrow
    Almora
    Caratini
    Duensing
    Chatwood
    Russell

who plays cf?

Gore

You need Gore for RH power off the bench. :-"
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:54 am

rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

We need a guy who can put the bat on the ball in clutch situations (to move runners over, to hit a sacrifice fly, etc.). I'm tired of watching batter after batter swing for the fences and then strike out with men in scoring position. We have too many all-or-nothing hitters.

I'm tired of this constant complaint at the end of every Cubs season. A certain segment of the audience always claims the thing the Cubs need is fewer all or nothing hitters and more contact guys.

And the Cubs had Zobrist, Murphy, Rizzo, and Heyward who put the ball in play. Almora not too bad either. That's plenty of non-all or nothing hitters.

Unfortunately Schwarber,Baez, Contreras, Happ, etc. were the guys who came up in those situations.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:20 am

Backtobanks wrote:
rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I'm tired of this constant complaint at the end of every Cubs season. A certain segment of the audience always claims the thing the Cubs need is fewer all or nothing hitters and more contact guys.

Unfortunately Schwarber,Baez, Contreras, Happ, etc. were the guys who came up in those situations.

Jesus Christ
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
rawaction wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I'm tired of this constant complaint at the end of every Cubs season. A certain segment of the audience always claims the thing the Cubs need is fewer all or nothing hitters and more contact guys.

So you're picking on Javy here?

The guy who led the NL in RBI?

The guy who had a .860 OPS with runners in scoring position?

Odd choice.
1 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Javy Baez had a very good all or nothing year but that doesnt change the fact that he's still an all or nothing player, and we want less of those, obviously.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:09 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Javy Baez had a very good all or nothing year but that doesnt change the fact that he's still an all or nothing player, and we want less of those, obviously.

Define All or nothing. I don't think it means what you think it means.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Javy Baez had a very good all or nothing year but that doesnt change the fact that he's still an all or nothing player, and we want less of those, obviously.

The 'obviously' at the end horsefeathering kills me.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 pm

It's arguably pointless to get into these kinds of debates in regards to Baez because he's a Baseball Freak who somehow bent the game to his will this season. He arguably is....just whatever the hell he is, and it seems like a complete shot in the dark to argue that .860 RISP Baez is now the real deal, or .725 career RISP Baez is the real deal.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:30 pm

We want LESS players like Javy?

4 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:33 pm

The idea that there are desirable good players and undesirable good players is a concept I refuse to entertain.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm

The idea that any team could even have more than one Javier Baez in the first place is raw, savage insanity.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
rawaction wrote:

So you're picking on Javy here?

The guy who led the NL in RBI?

The guy who had a .860 OPS with runners in scoring position?

Odd choice.

Baez had a great year, but I'm not sure he's the perfect person to make contact and hit a sacrifice fly to drive in a run.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”