The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm

I’d take Newcomb/Inciarte/Anderson easily over the Cubs’ offer there, but how many teams have that lying around? Are the Braves in a rush to add a 33 YO starter? I think the Cubs are way more likely to offer the proposed package than the Braves are.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bull » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 pm

Is it possible the Indians overvalue Schwarber due to his perceved superhuman presence in the 2016 WS?

Where are they on The Cole/Rangers spectrum of front office R&D?
Last edited by Bull on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Bull wrote:Is it possible the Indians overvalue Schwarber due to his perceved superhuman presence in the 2016 WS?

Where are they on The Cole/Rangers spectrum of front office R&D?

according to moneyball they use advanced stats

(the movie)
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:19 pm

davell wrote:Kluber is INSANELY good. The Indians, if they traded him, would receive an absolute HAUL.

His last 5 seasons? Over 200 innings each year. 31 fWAR. Seriously, THIRTY ONE. 32.6 bWAR. I mean....... horsefeathers lol.

The Indians can and would do much better than anything we've got to offer, that starts with Schwarber or Happ and has Quintana in it.

I mentioned it elsewhere, but going by ERA+, since 2004 the best 5 year runs are Kershaw (somewhere in the absurd 170+ range), Johan Santana (154) then Kluber (152 I believe). Couldn't think of anyone else that has performed better over a consecutive stretch since 2004. Originally I said 2000, but Pedro and RJ were bonkers at the turn of the century.

Point is, Kluber is one of the 5 or so best pitchers we've seen this century so far.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:26 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I’d take Newcomb/Inciarte/Anderson easily over the Cubs’ offer there, but how many teams have that lying around? Are the Braves in a rush to add a 33 YO starter? I think the Cubs are way more likely to offer the proposed package than the Braves are.

There's not MANY teams, with that type of currency, but I could see the Yankees, Braves, Padres, Phillies, Astros, Dodgers, maybe even the Cardinals jump in. Some of those teams aren't ready for a move like that obviously. But, I'm just listing teams who conceivably could be involved. I'll disagree on how serious the Braves would be too, it'd make them that much more attractive to a Bryce or Manny too. Obviously, neither of us know how serious the Braves would be and I can see either standpoint. In my mind, they've got more than enough prospect depth to make a serious move, here and there.

My main point though, is I just can't see them trading him for anything less than an eye-popping return. He's making under 8 mill in 2019. If money is an issue, you just dump some others off the roster. Just can't see them dealing him unless they're blown away. And that offer from the Cubs, isn't in that realm.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:45 pm

davell wrote:[There's not MANY teams, with that type of currency, but I could see the Yankees, Braves, Padres, Phillies, Astros, Dodgers, maybe even the Cardinals jump in. Some of those teams aren't ready for a move like that obviously. But, I'm just listing teams who conceivably could be involved. I'll disagree on how serious the Braves would be too, it'd make them that much more attractive to a Bryce or Manny too. Obviously, neither of us know how serious the Braves would be and I can see either standpoint. In my mind, they've got more than enough prospect depth to make a serious move, here and there.

My main point though, is I just can't see them trading him for anything less than an eye-popping return. He's making under 8 mill in 2019. If money is an issue, you just dump some others off the roster. Just can't see them dealing him unless they're blown away. And that offer from the Cubs, isn't in that realm.

A perrenial WS contender trading two starters with the prospect pedigree and/or pro backgrounds of a Schwarber and Quintana would definitely pop some eyes
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 pm

What are some similar or better offers a WS contender can seriously consider?

Dodgers - Verdugo then what?

Yankees - I guess Torres is on the table if Machado is in the plans? Andujar? Who after that?

Astros - Whitley and Tucker, but why would Houston go that far? Why would Cleveland want to make the Astros way better without getting both?

Phillies - I’m stumped. Franco?

Padres - Does Cleveland want Mejia back? Do the Padres give up Tatis?
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Honestly, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't look at Q and Schwarber as special value. Schwarber probably has the value of a top 50ish prospect, in my mind. And if I'm off, I think I'm on the high end. Q? I'd be surprised if we could get a top 100 for him. Top 100-150 lead guy, is what he'd bring back. Add that together and it's not nearly enough in my mind, as to what it'd take to actually make the Indians deal him. What other teams have is actually kind of immaterial too, because again, if Cleveland isn't blown away, why move him? In my opinion, he's just say too good to trade for less than a top 20-25 guy, a top 50 type, and some other interesting lower pieces. The lead piece is the main piece. And a guy like Schwarber, Happ, or Q....... Just not nearly enough, in my opinion.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:35 pm

davell wrote:Honestly, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't look at Q and Schwarber as special value. Schwarber probably has the value of a top 50ish prospect, in my mind. And if I'm off, I think I'm on the high end. Q? I'd be surprised if we could get a top 100 for him. Top 100-150 lead guy, is what he'd bring back. Add that together and it's not nearly enough in my mind, as to what it'd take to actually make the Indians deal him. What other teams have is actually kind of immaterial too, because again, if Cleveland isn't blown away, why move him? In my opinion, he's just say too good to trade for less than a top 20-25 guy, a top 50 type, and some other interesting lower pieces. The lead piece is the main piece. And a guy like Schwarber, Happ, or Q....... Just not nearly enough, in my opinion.

Not to extend this too much further because I can agree to disagree but I have to add that this is basically the Yelich trade. It’s stunk for the Marlins and I say this as someone maybe too optimistic about Lewis Brinson in the long run. Schwarber’s what...2-3 years removed from being a top 20 guy?
1 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:06 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:Honestly, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't look at Q and Schwarber as special value. Schwarber probably has the value of a top 50ish prospect, in my mind. And if I'm off, I think I'm on the high end. Q? I'd be surprised if we could get a top 100 for him. Top 100-150 lead guy, is what he'd bring back. Add that together and it's not nearly enough in my mind, as to what it'd take to actually make the Indians deal him. What other teams have is actually kind of immaterial too, because again, if Cleveland isn't blown away, why move him? In my opinion, he's just say too good to trade for less than a top 20-25 guy, a top 50 type, and some other interesting lower pieces. The lead piece is the main piece. And a guy like Schwarber, Happ, or Q....... Just not nearly enough, in my opinion.

Not to extend this too much further because I can agree to disagree but I have to add that this is basically the Yelich trade. It’s stunk for the Marlins and I say this as someone maybe too optimistic about Lewis Brinson in the long run. Schwarber’s what...2-3 years removed from being a top 20 guy?

You're right, it IS basically the equivalent of the Yelich deal. Which certainly looks bad on the Marlins end right now obviously. So, if anything, I'd think the Indians could want more, not less....... Again, I don't think they NEED to trade him. Yelich was forcing himself out of Miami, maybe that even hurt their leverage? At any rate, my biggest point is I just don't see the Indians trading him at all.

As for Schwarber, yeah he was a top 20 guy. His value is less now, because he's now not catching at all, he's shown to have at least a bit less of a bit tool than was expected out of him, he's not shown himself to hit lefties well, even if he needs more chances, and mainly..... He had 6 years of control, he's down to 3 now. And corner OF don't typically carry large trade value. I'm not even sure he'd pull a top 50 guy on his own. But, we're trying to.gauge value on a guy that admittedly..... Teams may very well have a wide array of opinions on too. Making it even easier for us to just agree to disagree on this one.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am

Don't trade Schwarbs, I just got a home jersey of the Big Man!
1 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Padres checking in on Syndergaard...Reds checking in on Stroman...Astros chasing Realmuto...Phillies and White Sox getting their fifteen minutes in the Harper/Machado talks....Meanwhile I STILL have to pretend the Cubs are poor, have little to trade, and are going to get beat on their media rights deals.

1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:56 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Padres checking in on Syndergaard...Reds checking in on Stroman...Astros chasing Realmuto...Phillies and White Sox getting their fifteen minutes in the Harper/Machado talks....Meanwhile I STILL have to pretend the Cubs are poor, have little to trade, and are going to get beat on their media rights deals.

Theo is waiting to strike when Caleb Joseph becomes DFA.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:56 am

Cubs waiting for some guy with sick day/night spin rate splits who's coming back from surgery and looking to try pitching from his other hand before they pounce.
2 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:17 am

Schwarber’s a weird trade chip. The flaws he has now are the same ones he had as a prospect (for instance no one liked him for his defense then, he struck out plenty, and his OPS plummeted 200 points and K rate skyrocketed against LHs in the minors) without the shield of being a MiL prospect anymore.

Depsite those flaws he still has a ton going for him and I can do the same (run down flaws) on literally any prospect. He’s still a former 4th overall pick turned top 20 prospect (slashing .334/.432/.619 in the minors), turned impact ML bat in his first pro season(!), turned unlikely WS hero with a 1.000+ OPS in postseason play. He’s slugged 56 HRs the past two seasons in just 996 PAs, 400+ PAs fewer than guys like Rizzo (57 HRs) and George Springer (56). He has even made dramatic improvements defensively and on the basepaths for the sake of improving *after* losing a season to a knee injury. His makeup and work ethic are as beyond reproach as you can get in a pro athlete.

I think he’ll have plenty of people in other FO’s that see the Cubs as the Twins to Schwarber’s David Ortiz. Toronto’s an org I see as a great match given their two elite RHH prospects. I think we’d be selling low on him this offseason, real risky saying that I know, but again would not be surprised if someone saw him as a buy low candidate worth someone worthwhile ala Musgrove last offseason

I also just polished a bottle of red so maybe I’m just feeling niiiice
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:45 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Schwarber’s a weird trade chip. The flaws he has now are the same ones he had as a prospect (for instance no one liked him for his defense then, he struck out plenty, and his OPS plummeted 200 points and K rate skyrocketed against LHs in the minors) without the shield of being a MiL prospect anymore.

Depsite those flaws he still has a ton going for him and I can do the same (run down flaws) on literally any prospect. He’s still a former 4th overall pick turned top 20 prospect (slashing .334/.432/.619 in the minors), turned impact ML bat in his first pro season(!), turned unlikely WS hero with a 1.000+ OPS in postseason play. He’s slugged 56 HRs the past two seasons in just 996 PAs, 400+ PAs fewer than guys like Rizzo (57 HRs) and George Springer (56). He has even made dramatic improvements defensively and on the basepaths for the sake of improving *after* losing a season to a knee injury. His makeup and work ethic are as beyond reproach as you can get in a pro athlete.

I think he’ll have plenty of people in other FO’s that see the Cubs as the Twins to Schwarber’s David Ortiz. Toronto’s an org I see as a great match given their two elite RHH prospects. I think we’d be selling low on him this offseason, real risky saying that I know, but again would not be surprised if someone saw him as a buy low candidate worth someone worthwhile ala Musgrove last offseason

Schwarber is what he is, a perfect DH/platoon LF. He does have value because of his power, work ethic, youth, and contract. I still like the deal I mentioned a few weeks back of Schwarber for two of Allard/Fried/Soroka.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 am

Backtobanks wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Schwarber’s a weird trade chip. The flaws he has now are the same ones he had as a prospect (for instance no one liked him for his defense then, he struck out plenty, and his OPS plummeted 200 points and K rate skyrocketed against LHs in the minors) without the shield of being a MiL prospect anymore.

M

Schwarber is what he is, a perfect DH/platoon LF. He does have value because of his power, work ethic, youth, and contract. I still like the deal I mentioned a few weeks back of Schwarber for two of Allard/Fried/Soroka.

Lol Jesus Christ
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:51 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

M

Lol Jesus Christ

Your lord and savior! The higher the hair the closer to god! Isn’t that what they say down in hickville, Hayseed?
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:36 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

M

Lol Jesus Christ

We might have to throw in Russell if we want Christ too.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Good luck getting two of those guys for Schwarber. Think the suggestion was Minter, not 100% with an NL team as a buyer except maybe the Rockies? He’d do work there offensively and they have a couple pitchers I like (Gray obvy and Ryan Castellani as a buy low, not sure how it would work)
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Now that the Mariners sell off is official hopefully we can go get Pazos and dump at least one of Kintzler/Duensing/Chatwood’s contract there
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Former Yankees first round pick
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:32 am

I feel like this is going to be me as this stupid offseason for jerks keeps going:

0 x
► Show Spoiler

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I feel like this is going to be me as this stupid offseason for jerks keeps going:

your image is not there
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I feel like this is going to be me as this stupid offseason for jerks keeps going:

Bah. Now it is. Stupid lame Cubs are killing my gifs.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”