The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Bertz
All-Star

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bertz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:10 pm

MLBTR this week put together a really good list of contract swap candidates:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/ ... dates.html

There's a lot of interesting names here, but one really jumped out to me. Yasmany Tomas is owed $32.5 million the next two years by the Dbacks, however his luxury tax hit is only $23m ($11.5 per year). I think he's an interesting candidate in a Tyler Chatwood trade. He would save the Cubs LT space, while saving the Dbacks real dollars, so in broad strokes it's a win-win. Thomas is not going to take any MLB at bats, he's just chilling at AAA, so you don't have to worry about how he fits onto the roster. Plus, as toxic an asset as Chatwood is, he's way more valuable than Tomas, so the Dbacks would need to provide additional value to balance out any deal. Maybe that's taking Kintzler and/or Duensing off our hands too, or sending us some relief help (Andrew Chafin?), but regardless it should be something of tangible value, in addition to the LT savings.

This probably only makes sense if PTR's alleged issues this winter are LT based, rather than straight up cashflow, which is not something we can say with any real confidence.
0 x

Gilby
All-Star

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Gilby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:11 pm

Feels like we're going to need to attach someone valuable to shed Chatwood in order to afford Harper and stay under the top tier, instead of just swapping bad contracts. But I guess who the hell even knows if the top tier is the actual limit.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:17 pm

Bertz wrote:MLBTR this week put together a really good list of contract swap candidates:

There's a lot of interesting names here, but one really jumped out to me. Yasmany Tomas is owed $32.5 million the next two years by the Dbacks, however his luxury tax hit is only $23m ($11.5 per year). I think he's an interesting candidate in a Tyler Chatwood trade. He would save the Cubs LT space, while saving the Dbacks real dollars, so in broad strokes it's a win-win. Thomas is not going to take any MLB at bats, he's just chilling at AAA, so you don't have to worry about how he fits onto the roster. Plus, as toxic an asset as Chatwood is, he's way more valuable than Tomas, so the Dbacks would need to provide additional value to balance out any deal. Maybe that's taking Kintzler and/or Duensing off our hands too, or sending us some relief help (Andrew Chafin?), but regardless it should be something of tangible value, in addition to the LT savings.

This probably only makes sense if PTR's alleged issues this winter are LT based, rather than straight up cashflow, which is not something we can say with any real confidence.

I think we can do better than swapping Chatwood for a $23 million ml player. As much as we want to dump Chatwood and his contract, he has some (but not much) value as a ML starting pitcher.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Who is going to take Chattwood when he walks 8.2/9 and only strikes out 7.4/9 (-.11 K/BB) and making $12.5M? He's practically untouchable for all the wrong reasons.
0 x

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:50 am

Bertz wrote:MLBTR this week put together a really good list of contract swap candidates:

Tomas is not on the 40 man roster. I believe his luxury tax number is $0 as long as he stays off the 40-man. He’s still owed his contracted salary, but I don’t think it counts towards the tax. The Red Sox have a similar situation with Rusney Castillo.

He’d be a good candidate to get in a trade offload some dead money off the tax number.
0 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:57 am

CP_414 wrote:

Tomas is not on the 40 man roster. I believe his luxury tax number is $0 as long as he stays off the 40-man. He’s still owed his contracted salary, but I don’t think it counts towards the tax. The Red Sox have a similar situation with Rusney Castillo.

He’d be a good candidate to get in a trade offload some dead money off the tax number.

What's the catch with this? I think it may be true as well, because anytime I look at the Dodgers tax situation, I don't see Yasiel Sierra or that Arrabarruena guy counting against theirs..........

So, what stops us from just outrighting Chatwood and saving his money? There's gotta be something, right? I'm assuming he's got to accept it, when its possible some team could conceivably offer him a major league minimum deal? But, if that's the case, I figure someone would have done the same with Tomas as well.....
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:00 am

davell wrote:
CP_414 wrote:

What's the catch with this? I think it may be true as well, because anytime I look at the Dodgers tax situation, I don't see Yasiel Sierra or that Arrabarruena guy counting against theirs..........

So, what stops us from just outrighting Chatwood and saving his money? There's gotta be something, right? I'm assuming he's got to accept it, when its possible some team could conceivably offer him a major league minimum deal? But, if that's the case, I figure someone would have done the same with Tomas as well.....

Service time. Players with at least five years of service time can elect free agency after being outrighted and keep their entire contract.
2 x

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:04 am

I take back what I said earlier then. That'd be an outstanding move if possible
0 x

CP_414
All-Star

Postby CP_414 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:09 am

Gilby wrote:I take back what I said earlier then. That'd be an outstanding move if possible

It’s a benefit that’s wasted on Arizona. They aren’t going near the tax anyway. You’d think if they can’t offload his contract in another trade they would be willing to swap him for a bad salary player that can play for them in the majors.
Last edited by CP_414 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 am

CP_414 wrote:
Gilby wrote:I take back what I said earlier then. That'd be an outstanding move if possible

It’s a benefit that’s wasted on Arizona. They aren’t going nearcthe tax anyway. You’d think if they can’t offload his contract in another trade they would be willing to swap him for a bad salary player that can play for them in the majors.

Yeah good info/find on this. I’d love for us to figure out a way to dump some combo of the Chatwood, Kintzler, Duensing guys there. I’d throw a decent prospect or two in or even Happ (preferably Almora) if it was the move we had to make to fit Bryce in
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:52 am

This guy seems to be a little connected, he broke a trade or some obscure players involved in one for us over the summer. So I would assume his predictions have some basis in reality. Like he mentions about the Harper stuff down thread. Also Spangenberg has minor league options left so he makes a decent amount of sense over Seal Boy for roster flexibility/maneuverability in season.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 am

Hasn't this guy had some inside info before? Take it with a grain of salt, regardless, but I'm bored and need rumors so I'm sharing it.

0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:22 am

That’s Theo’s burner account
2 x
Screw Pitchers

r_mack
Starter

Postby r_mack » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 am

Post Count Padder wrote:Hasn't this guy had some inside info before? Take it with a grain of salt, regardless, but I'm bored and need rumors so I'm sharing it.

No, that guy sucks
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:42 pm

r_mack wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:Hasn't this guy had some inside info before? Take it with a grain of salt, regardless, but I'm bored and need rumors so I'm sharing it.

No, that guy sucks

lol your anger toward him every time he's mentioned amuses me.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:55 pm

I spent time on this

Significant FAs:

Bryce Harper OF
David Robertson RP
Garrett Richards SP

Big trades:

Heyward, Quintana, Edwards, and Russell to the Phillies for LHP Ranger Suarez and OF Roman Quinn

Happ to the Rockies for Jon Gray

Chatwood, Almora to the D’Backs for Tomas, SS Nick Ahmed, and RHP Taylor Clarke

Smaller FAs (assuming non-tenders for my convenience):

Jason Marisnick/Delino Deshields Jr. (whoever gets non-tendered) CF/OF
Travis D’Arnaud C
Jake Diekman LHRP
Zack McCallister RHP
Bryan Mitchell RHP
J. de la Rosa LHRP
Brandon Maurer RHRP

Position players:

Zobrist 2B/RF
Harper OF
Bryant 3B/RF/LF
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS/2B/3B
Contreras C/1B
Schwarber LF
Marisnick OF
Quinn OF
Ahmed IF
D’Arnaud C/1B

Pitchers:

Hendricks
Hamels
Lester
Gray
Darvish
Montgomery
Robertson
Morrow
Strop
Diekman
Maurer
McCallister
de la Rosa
Mitchell
Suarez
Clarke
Alzolay

No clue what the payroll is, probably badass. I like the idea of bringing de la Rosa back.
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:38 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I spent time on this

Significant FAs:

Bryce Harper OF
David Robertson RP
Garrett Richards SP

Big trades:

Heyward, Quintana, Edwards, and Russell to the Phillies for LHP Ranger Suarez and OF Roman Quinn

Travis D’Arnaud C
Jake Diekman LHRP
Zack McCallister RHP
Bryan Mitchell RHP
J. de la Rosa LHRP
Brandon Maurer RHRP

Position players:

Zobrist 2B/RF
Harper OF
Bryant 3B/RF/LF
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS/2B/3B
Contreras C/1B
Schwarber LF
Marisnick OF
Quinn OF
Ahmed IF
D’Arnaud C/1B

Pitchers:

Hendricks
Hamels
Lester
Gray
Darvish
Montgomery
Robertson
Morrow
Strop
Diekman
Maurer
McCallister
de la Rosa
Mitchell
Suarez
Clarke
Alzolay

No clue what the payroll is, probably badass. I like the idea of bringing de la Rosa back.

I'm sure the Phillies will be glad to take on our bad contracts to assist us in signing Harper.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

Significant FAs:

Bryce Harper OF
David Robertson RP
Garrett Richards SP

Big trades:

Travis D’Arnaud C
Jake Diekman LHRP
Zack McCallister RHP
Bryan Mitchell RHP
J. de la Rosa LHRP
Brandon Maurer RHRP

Position players:

Zobrist 2B/RF
Harper OF
Bryant 3B/RF/LF
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS/2B/3B
Contreras C/1B
Schwarber LF
Marisnick OF
Quinn OF
Ahmed IF
D’Arnaud C/1B

Pitchers:

Hendricks
Hamels
Lester
Gray
Darvish
Montgomery
Robertson
Morrow
Strop
Diekman
Maurer
McCallister
de la Rosa
Mitchell
Suarez
Clarke
Alzolay

I'm sure the Phillies will be glad to take on our bad contracts to assist us in signing Harper.

If they want to help us collude they will. Otherwise, we should go over the top luxury tax threshold.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Bull wrote:If they want to help us collude they will. Otherwise, we should go over the top luxury tax threshold.

3 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:38 pm

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:59 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm

well if we ever needed a sign they're out of the machado sweepstakes...
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Significant FAs:

Bryce Harper OF
David Robertson RP
Garrett Richards SP

Big trades:

Travis D’Arnaud C
Jake Diekman LHRP
Zack McCallister RHP
Bryan Mitchell RHP
J. de la Rosa LHRP
Brandon Maurer RHRP

Position players:

Zobrist 2B/RF
Harper OF
Bryant 3B/RF/LF
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS/2B/3B
Contreras C/1B
Schwarber LF
Marisnick OF
Quinn OF
Ahmed IF
D’Arnaud C/1B

Pitchers:

Hendricks
Hamels
Lester
Gray
Darvish
Montgomery
Robertson
Morrow
Strop
Diekman
Maurer
McCallister
de la Rosa
Mitchell
Suarez
Clarke
Alzolay

Not bad, but that Phillies trade works for no one. I wouldn't make that deal just to get rid of Heyward's contract and the Phillies don't want that either. Doubt they want Russell too.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:46 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Not bad, but that Phillies trade works for no one. I wouldn't make that deal just to get rid of Heyward's contract and the Phillies don't want that either. Doubt they want Russell too.

Yeah, writing out the player’s group that trade didn’t make sense for anyone. Quinn’s excess and that roser spot would be better used with La Stella

Mostly I wanted to highlight available and possibly available guys like Ahmed, d’Arnaud, DeShields/Marisnick, Diekman, Mitchell, Maurer, and McCallister as possible bargains. That is what I will go with
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 am

Wonder if we are a team who’s discussed Martin in a salary swap situation. We allegedly went hard after him in FA a few years back. He’s owed $20 mil yet and has a 16.4 LT hit. Also the pirates should trade Cervelli to Japan like the Padres did with Villanueva. Get that horsefeathers as far away as possible.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”