The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Alright, let's get weird then.

Happ and non-MLB stuff for Realmuto

Contreras and Chatwood for an elite reliever of preferably low cost(Diaz would've been perfect here, maybe LeClerc)

Sign Harper

I'm not sure if that adds up dollar wise, but it's a decent framework to start from.

What about...... Contreras, Q and Kintzler for Kluber or Bauer (plus a prospect back) then Happ, Adbert and make them take Duensing and maybe other prospect stuff for Realmuto and Conley. Then sign Bryce??

I'm sure the Marlins have about 20 better offers for Realmuto than this one.

I meant to include Amaya in that
0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby davell » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:59 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:No non-tenders candidates I really wanted to hit FA did but some of the possibly more interesting ones:

Sam Howard LHP
Yangervis Solarte SS/IF
Hunter Strickland RHRP
Tim Beckham SS/IF
Chris Owings IF/OF

Looks like trades are where it’s at after Harper...Pretty meh on the FA class after the big ones*

——

Once the Cubs sign Harper, which writer puts out the longest and gooiest article about the Cubs’ long roller coaster courtship?

——

I’m down for a weird offseason:

FAs:

Harper
Robertson
Deitrich
Cheap backup C
Diekman
S. Howard
G. Hernandez

Rule V:

Richie Martin

Trade:

Contreras for Jon Gray/Marcus Stroman

Happ, Almora, Montgomery, Ademan, Marquez for Realmuto

I like this off season overall a lot. I think it's still taking Amaya, instead of Ademan probably. But, we probably could keep Monty. Contreras might bring a bit back with one of Gray or Stroman. Only move I'd stay away from us Dietrich. He can't p!ay D anywhere at this point, I'd rather have a guy who's versatile because he CAN play, not because the team is hiding him.

Harper and Robertson are fine, as a "only 2 moves" off season too.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:09 pm

I’d swap in Amaya for Montgomery super fast. Giving away ML pithing isn’t the best idea. Deitrich is the bat on an otherwise all glove bench, but could be swapped for Solarte who I like about the same maybe a little more anyway
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Yeah I'm not big on trading Montgomery. He's been pretty valuable in a swing role and is still affordable.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 am

ditch almora sign billy hamilton
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:10 am

The Marlins apparently asked the Braves for Albies and prospects for Realmuto. No way we're meeting their crazy demands.
1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:59 am

Post Count Padder wrote:The Marlins apparently asked the Braves for Albies and prospects for Realmuto. No way we're meeting their crazy demands.

Reminds me of when the Phillies wanted all the Bryants and [prospect] Russells in the league
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:The Marlins apparently asked the Braves for Albies and prospects for Realmuto. No way we're meeting their crazy demands.

Why wouldn't they ask for Albies and prospects when they have every team desiring Realmuto? Aim high because they don't need to trade him.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:22 pm

I think Ozzie Albies might just be 2B Almora. From May on for the rest of the season he hit .254/.294/.409 .304 wOBA 87 wRC+ 5% BB rate and hit only 10 HRS from June on and only 4 after the ASB. His minor league numbers aren’t all that special either.

Not saying they should trade him for Realmuto but it’s not a crazy ask, imo, he’s not in the Acuna, Soto, Vlad Jr class of prospects/young players. Selling high on him might be smart if they can get Realmuto and replace him in a deep FA MIF market.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I think Ozzie Albies might just be 2B Almora. From May on for the rest of the season he hit .254/.294/.409 .304 wOBA 87 wRC+ 5% BB rate and hit only 10 HRS from June on and only 4 after the ASB. His minor league numbers aren’t all that special either.

Not saying they should trade him for Realmuto but it’s not a crazy ask, imo, he’s not in the Acuna, Soto, Vlad Jr class of prospects/young players. Selling high on him might be smart if they can get Realmuto and replace him in a deep FA MIF market.

That's my point, the Marlins ought to ask for the moon because everybody is after Realmuto. I agree that the Braves should think about such a deal because it's easier to get an adequate 2B than a top C. Of course it all depends on the other prospects included in the deal. That being said, Albies' numbers are pretty impressive for a 21 year old switch-hitting 2B with 5 years of control left.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:58 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I think Ozzie Albies might just be 2B Almora. From May on for the rest of the season he hit .254/.294/.409 .304 wOBA 87 wRC+ 5% BB rate and hit only 10 HRS from June on and only 4 after the ASB. His minor league numbers aren’t all that special either.

That's my point, the Marlins ought to ask for the moon because everybody is after Realmuto.

That's not the point of Cubswin11's post at all.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:32 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:I’d swap in Amaya for Montgomery super fast. Giving away ML pithing isn’t the best idea. Deitrich is the bat on an otherwise all glove bench, but could be swapped for Solarte who I like about the same maybe a little more anyway

In fact - give me Solarte and Hamilton instead of Deitrich and Hernandez in this imaginary offseason I hope becomes real
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:39 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

That's my point, the Marlins ought to ask for the moon because everybody is after Realmuto.

The rest of my post pointed out that Albies is pretty valuable even though he slumped during the 2nd half. Again a 21 yr. old playing regularly on a division winning team with 5 years of control left is a really valuable asset. Cubswin11 thinks that Albies is going to digress and they ought to sell high on him and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm just pointing out that they might be giving up a star (plus other prospects) for another star.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:46 am

Backtobanks wrote:I'm just pointing out that they might be giving up a star (plus other prospects) for another star.

Meh, he’s closer to the Starlin Castros on the spectrum of extremely young ML MIFers. Different skill mix but some huge flaws in his game that maybe make him a risky bet to get better
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:49 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

The rest of my post pointed out that Albies is pretty valuable even though he slumped during the 2nd half. Again a 21 yr. old playing regularly on a division winning team with 5 years of control left is a really valuable asset. Cubswin11 thinks that Albies is going to digress and they ought to sell high on him and I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm just pointing out that they might be giving up a star (plus other prospects) for another star.

He slumped once the calander hit May. It was a far longer period than just the 2nd half and like I said his minor numbers don’t jump out like crazy to think he won’t just be a similar version of that May on player vs the 1.000 OPS guy in Mar/Apr moving forward. Which is still a somewhat useful and okay player but nothing overly special and certainly not a star. I don’t think him and a pitching prospect for Realmuto is a ridiculous ask by the Marlins and I don’t think it’s something the Braves should turn down right away. It could very likely be the highest value Albies ever has and I think he’s more a 1.5-3 win player moving forward and there’s like 10 FAs they can sign that can play the MIF to replace him for not a ton of years/money.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:10 am

The Mariners are apparently trying to attach Seager to Haniger to dump salary. Their Segura move today was a pure salary dump. Maybe there's a way to dump both Chatwood and Heyward to clear room for Bryce......

First trade: Chatwood, Kintzler, Zack Short and Adbert (and/or some other non Amaya prospects, include Amaya if you must) to the Mariners for Kyle Seager, Dee Gordon and Mitch Haniger. The money works out with us sending out $30.5 million and taking back $82.5 (plus whatever Haniger's salary is this year but that doesn't matter after the next trade and he won't make a lot anyways as he's still team controlled or just in to arbitration) so it nets us to taking on $52 million and adds about $8 mil to our LT.

Second trade: Heyward (maybe we pay a little, say $15-20 million netting us $85-90 million or so in savings) and Haniger to the Braves for a pitcher, let's say Fried to throw in the bullpen mix.

We'd come out around $30 million in real money in savings and lower our LT hit for the year by ~$13 million. We could then go sign Bryce and trade off 1-2 of Almora/Happ/Schwarber/Gordon/Seager for either some more savings/prospect/relief pitcher.

Opening day position players could be something like (12):

1. Willy C
2. Vic/Backup FA C
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Zobrist 2B/OF
5. Javy SS/3B/2B
6. KB 3B/OF
7. Bryce OF
8-11. 4 of Almora OF, Gordon 2B/SS/OF, Seager 3B/maybe OF or 2B, Happ OF/3B/2B, Schwarber OF
12. FA who can play CF (most likely)

This is all likely nonsense and a waste of but there could be something there with the Mariners to set this series of events off. Even if we don't get Bryce that first trade leaves us with Haniger as a consolation prize and then we can trade off still from the Happ/Schwarber/Gordon/Seager group for either savings or other needs.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:25 am

I think it’s probably easier to bridge the gap between Haniger and Happ for Atlanta and just cut out the middle man than it is to get the Ms to trade Haniger and Seager for a return that headlines some low ceiling prospects. You can at least dream on Kelenic and Crawford maximizing their potential and being plus MLBers, that’s a real hard sell with any non-MLB player the Cubs might trade.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I think it’s probably easier to bridge the gap between Haniger and Happ for Atlanta and just cut out the middle man than it is to get the Ms to trade Haniger and Seager for a return that headlines some low ceiling prospects. You can at least dream on Kelenic and Crawford maximizing their potential and being plus MLBers, that’s a real hard sell with any non-MLB player the Cubs might trade.

Very true. But if they view Gordon and Seager as pure dead weight and are willing to attach Haniger like it’s rumored we could maybe find some common ground there. They should just maximize Haniger by himself because Gordon and Seager aren’t crippling but they didn’t do that with Diaz. Maybe they view Amaya as a plus guy at a premium spot? Hell maybe even include Marquez?

My main idea is to just get the Mariners trade done now then sort out the roster from there. At worst you have Haniger, which is a nice upgrade and can sell off on some other guys (Happ, Schwarber, Almora) to fill out the roster. Plus Gordon and Seager as bench/platoon options (Seager at 3B and KB in OF vs RHP, Gordon in the LaStella last bench spot role and backup SS aren’t bad at all) and we could maybe eventually use Haniger and/or others to clear Heyward if needed to make room for Bryce.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:57 pm

It’s Loxas....

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:It’s Loxas....

I’ve always been very skeptical of Loxas, but I think this is likely true. I mean it’s almost negligence for a team in contention to not check in with any reliever on the market. Granted I know he just seems to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. This could be that.
I will say maybe he is somewhat connected. Loxas actually posted about the Cubs being interested in Realmuto possibly at the expense of Contreras and then Craig Mish reported the same thing a day or two later. I’m still surprised.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm

feels like it's been about 3 years since the wild card game
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Brian wrote:feels like it's been about 3 years since the wild card game

3 years and nearly 2 months to the day!

4 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:It’s Loxas....

I’ve always been very skeptical of Loxas, but I think this is likely true. I mean it’s almost negligence for a team in contention to not check in with any reliever on the market. Granted I know he just seems to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks. This could be that.
I will say maybe he is somewhat connected. Loxas actually posted about the Cubs being interested in Realmuto possibly at the expense of Contreras and then Craig Mish reported the same thing a day or two later. I’m still surprised.

Yeah I definitely don’t doubt we are interested in and have likely had talks about Miller. There’s connections/familiarity to Theo and the FO of having him on the Red Sox in the past and we were in on him in 2016 and a lefty RP like him makes a lot of sense to target. I agree that I doubt Loxas has any serious sources or connections though. It’s connecting dots at best by him and making educated guesses.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:58 pm

I’m happy to hear we might be targeting a veteran backup C, I’m also happy to hear it won’t be McCann

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:22 pm

They're totally going to spend $30m on Hamels, a reliever, and a backup catcher and then try and tell us with a straight face that they didn't have the money for Bryce, aren't they?
0 x

Return to “Transactions”