The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 784
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 5
x 128

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby champaignchris » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Free agent relief pitchers still available:
Greg Holland
Cody Allen
Adam Ottavino
Sergio Romo
Brad Brach
Justin Wilson
Alex Wilson
Hunter Strickland
A.J. Ramos
Jake Diekman
Sam Howard

Can we afford any of these guys? Probably not.


Did I miss Craig Kimbrell signing? Or are we just assuming there’s no possible way?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5949
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 438
x 495

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 am

champaignchris wrote:Did I miss Craig Kimbrell signing? Or are we just assuming there’s no possible way?


The shunning/dismissal of Kimbrel as a very legit upgrade and possibility is some of that enabling nonsense I can't stand. If we're OK with ownership not spending on the best of the best of the best (sir!) in areas of need then duuuuh...
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32793
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2396
x 6286
Contact:

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Did I miss Craig Kimbrell signing? Or are we just assuming there’s no possible way?


The shunning/dismissal of Kimbrel as a very legit upgrade and possibility is some of that enabling nonsense I can't stand. If we're OK with ownership not spending on the best of the best of the best (sir!) in areas of need then duuuuh...


signing craig kimbrel to a 5 year deal or whatever is one of your top 5 worst ideas
2 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5949
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 438
x 495

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Did I miss Craig Kimbrell signing? Or are we just assuming there’s no possible way?


The shunning/dismissal of Kimbrel as a very legit upgrade and possibility is some of that enabling nonsense I can't stand. If we're OK with ownership not spending on the best of the best of the best (sir!) in areas of need then duuuuh...


signing craig kimbrel to a 5 year deal or whatever is one of your top 5 worst ideas


Oh that's for sure not true...I've had soooooo many terrible ideas. What if he's definitely not colluded down to 4?
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5949
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 438
x 495

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 am

The Yankees signed LeMahieu? Yooooooo...I swear, it feels like Jah herself is trying her damndest to get the Cubs to sign both Machado and Harper. [-o<
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 374
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 1263
x 25

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Bear Cub » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:19 am

Why the hell do the Yankees have money to spend and we dont?
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

User avatar
KingCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 3516
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2
x 56

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby KingCubsFan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Why the hell do the Yankees have money to spend and we dont?

If you think the Cubs are cheap, I suggest you look at the Yankees. They could easily sign both Harper and Machado and instead they’re choosing LeMahieu.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 4
x 39

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
Bear Cub wrote:Why the hell do the Yankees have money to spend and we dont?

If you think the Cubs are cheap, I suggest you look at the Yankees. They could easily sign both Harper and Machado and instead they’re choosing LeMahieu.


Don't speak too soon, they may end up with at least one of them anyhow.
0 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 339
x 458

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Bertz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:09 pm

I just realized that Marwin Gonzalez is still a FA, which totally caught be by surprise. Man he really fits this roster well. He gives us back that flexibility that we're starting to lose with Zobrist getting older and Baez hopefully being tasked more with regular everyday shortstop duties. And he lets us banish Russell to the Phantom Zone.

I understand that he's probably not an option if we're going after Bryce, but if we're not then what the hell? A "we're poor" offseason is really not that hard to pull off:

- Use prospects to send Chatwood and Duensing away.
Cut Russell. Boom, there's $18m to play with
- Sign Gonzalez to something approximating the Ben Zobrist contract
- Use whatever money you still have available on relief help. Will Smith would be my ideal, and would you look at that him plus Gonzalez is almost exactlt that $18m we just saved

This is the team

2b - Gonzalez
1b - Rizzo
SS - Baez
3b - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward
CF - Happ

BN - Zobrist, Almora, Descalso, Caratini
SP - Yu, Cole, Kyle, Q, Jon
RP - Morrow, Smith, Strop, Cishek, Carl, Monty, Kintzler, Iowa Shuttle

That team is awesome. It's not the majestic dong party that Bryce would lead to, but it's really strong from top to bottom, with plenty of depth to handle a few injuries or disappointments (Looking at at you Happ and Almora). This is what causes me to think we're still trying for Bryce. There's a good argument that waiting out the relief market is the smart way to augment the bullpen on a budget. But the rest of the market? If we're not players in the Bryce sweepstakes, what is the incentive to not go ahead and finish building the rest of the team? Unless time doesn't matter because our offseason is going to be literally just Descalso and some $4m reliever? Which....man that's a dark offseason.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6532
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 4
x 39

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Bertz wrote:I just realized that Marwin Gonzalez is still a FA, which totally caught be by surprise. Man he really fits this roster well. He gives us back that flexibility that we're starting to lose with Zobrist getting older and Baez hopefully being tasked more with regular everyday shortstop duties. And he lets us banish Russell to the Phantom Zone.

I understand that he's probably not an option if we're going after Bryce, but if we're not then what the hell? A "we're poor" offseason is really not that hard to pull off:

- Use prospects to send Chatwood and Duensing away.
Cut Russell. Boom, there's $18m to play with
- Sign Gonzalez to something approximating the Ben Zobrist contract
- Use whatever money you still have available on relief help. Will Smith would be my ideal, and would you look at that him plus Gonzalez is almost exactlt that $18m we just saved

This is the team

2b - Gonzalez
1b - Rizzo
SS - Baez
3b - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward
CF - Happ

BN - Zobrist, Almora, Descalso, Caratini
SP - Yu, Cole, Kyle, Q, Jon
RP - Morrow, Smith, Strop, Cishek, Carl, Monty, Kintzler, Iowa Shuttle

That team is awesome. It's not the majestic dong party that Bryce would lead to, but it's really strong from top to bottom, with plenty of depth to handle a few injuries or disappointments (Looking at at you Happ and Almora). This is what causes me to think we're still trying for Bryce. There's a good argument that waiting out the relief market is the smart way to augment the bullpen on a budget. But the rest of the market? If we're not players in the Bryce sweepstakes, what is the incentive to not go ahead and finish building the rest of the team? Unless time doesn't matter because our offseason is going to be literally just Descalso and some $4m reliever? Which....man that's a dark offseason.


I'm not sure all of Chatwood's salary would disappear because it's unlikely somebody is going to pick it all up. That's why everybody was suggesting bad contract trades earlier. As for Russell, we gave him a new contract, so we're obligated to pay it. I agree Gonzalez would be a good fit if PTR would open his wallet.
0 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 339
x 458

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Bertz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:24 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Bertz wrote:I just realized that Marwin Gonzalez is still a FA, which totally caught be by surprise. Man he really fits this roster well. He gives us back that flexibility that we're starting to lose with Zobrist getting older and Baez hopefully being tasked more with regular everyday shortstop duties. And he lets us banish Russell to the Phantom Zone.

I understand that he's probably not an option if we're going after Bryce, but if we're not then what the hell? A "we're poor" offseason is really not that hard to pull off:

- Use prospects to send Chatwood and Duensing away.
Cut Russell. Boom, there's $18m to play with
- Sign Gonzalez to something approximating the Ben Zobrist contract
- Use whatever money you still have available on relief help. Will Smith would be my ideal, and would you look at that him plus Gonzalez is almost exactlt that $18m we just saved

This is the team

2b - Gonzalez
1b - Rizzo
SS - Baez
3b - Bryant
LF - Schwarber
C - Contreras
RF - Heyward
CF - Happ

BN - Zobrist, Almora, Descalso, Caratini
SP - Yu, Cole, Kyle, Q, Jon
RP - Morrow, Smith, Strop, Cishek, Carl, Monty, Kintzler, Iowa Shuttle

That team is awesome. It's not the majestic dong party that Bryce would lead to, but it's really strong from top to bottom, with plenty of depth to handle a few injuries or disappointments (Looking at at you Happ and Almora). This is what causes me to think we're still trying for Bryce. There's a good argument that waiting out the relief market is the smart way to augment the bullpen on a budget. But the rest of the market? If we're not players in the Bryce sweepstakes, what is the incentive to not go ahead and finish building the rest of the team? Unless time doesn't matter because our offseason is going to be literally just Descalso and some $4m reliever? Which....man that's a dark offseason.


I'm not sure all of Chatwood's salary would disappear because it's unlikely somebody is going to pick it all up. That's why everybody was suggesting bad contract trades earlier. As for Russell, we gave him a new contract, so we're obligated to pay it. I agree Gonzalez would be a good fit if PTR would open his wallet.


Teams are rational: if you are willing to give up $20m worth of prospects you can make $20m worth of dead money disappear. Chatwood would not be hard to dump, it's not like he's Heyward with $100m left on his deal.

For Russell, you can cut players on non guaranteed contracts (e.g. arbitration eligible guys) and only pay 1/6th of their salary. The only catch is you have to do it by a certain date, I don't remember it off hand but it's in the middle of March. We did this with Justin Grimm last year.
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34098
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1824
x 1860

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Just a casual $20m worth of prospects. Just got that hanging around myrtle beach* like loose change in the couch

* - (i have no idea where are lower affiliates are these days, prospect nerds don’t @ me)
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5949
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 438
x 495

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 pm

Imagine the Cubs giving up $20 million worth of prospects they don’t even have to sign Marwin Gonzalez in an offseason they can buy 3-5 years of being a behemoth (easy) only losing who cares number of draft picks.

urgetokillrising.gif

——

Also Realmuto agreed to $5.9 million and Stroman got $7.4. Just throwing that out there, sneaking in this reminder/hot take that both are also badass talents
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68489
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1065
x 2077

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Derwood » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 pm

It's maddening how many Cubs fans (on other sites) still think that a) leadoff hitter is a "thing", b) that it's a major need, and c) that not having one is the reason the Cubs didn't go far last year.

2018 leadoff hitting statistics are basically identical to 2016 numbers. Of all the things we can point to about how horrendously the 2018 offense performed, the person who happened to be penciled first in the batting order wasn't one of them
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78268
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10452
x 13412

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Just clobber them with the dong of the 2018 Cubs' lack of dongs.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55816
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 441
x 6078

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:51 pm

Derwood wrote:It's maddening how many Cubs fans (on other sites) still think that a) leadoff hitter is a "thing", b) that it's a major need, and c) that not having one is the reason the Cubs didn't go far last year.

2018 leadoff hitting statistics are basically identical to 2016 numbers. Of all the things we can point to about how horrendously the 2018 offense performed, the person who happened to be penciled first in the batting order wasn't one of them


They are similar to 2016 because they put Rizzo there for 25% of the season and he put up a .979 OPS at leadoff.

It’s not high on the priority list but there is a lack of a good person for that role that gets a ton of PA. Zobrist is probably a better option than most reasonable external options though.
1 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 34098
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1824
x 1860

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Talking about baseball is barely tolerable here. Doing it with rando cubs fans is a “doctor it hurts when I go like this” moment.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68489
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1065
x 2077

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Derwood » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:It's maddening how many Cubs fans (on other sites) still think that a) leadoff hitter is a "thing", b) that it's a major need, and c) that not having one is the reason the Cubs didn't go far last year.

2018 leadoff hitting statistics are basically identical to 2016 numbers. Of all the things we can point to about how horrendously the 2018 offense performed, the person who happened to be penciled first in the batting order wasn't one of them


They are similar to 2016 because they put Rizzo there for 25% of the season and he put up a .979 OPS at leadoff.


This is a problem to idiots because Rizzo is a "cleanup hitter" and not a "leadoff hitter", as if either of those are things after the 1st inning
0 x

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 3777
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 637
x 393
Contact:

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby NOLA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Derwood wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:It's maddening how many Cubs fans (on other sites) still think that a) leadoff hitter is a "thing", b) that it's a major need, and c) that not having one is the reason the Cubs didn't go far last year.

2018 leadoff hitting statistics are basically identical to 2016 numbers. Of all the things we can point to about how horrendously the 2018 offense performed, the person who happened to be penciled first in the batting order wasn't one of them


They are similar to 2016 because they put Rizzo there for 25% of the season and he put up a .979 OPS at leadoff.


This is a problem to idiots because Rizzo is a "cleanup hitter" and not a "leadoff hitter", as if either of those are things after the 1st inning

Agree, but don’t you think there’s something to be said for having someone on base ahead of your best hitters? Sure, Rizzo did fine there, but then you’re taking his bat away in potential RBI situations.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78268
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10452
x 13412

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:59 pm

As pointed out already, repeatedly, the Cubs already have Zobrist.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
ConstableRabbit
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8398
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Heavenston
x 1120
x 666

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby ConstableRabbit » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Talking about baseball is barely tolerable here. Doing it with rando cubs fans is a “doctor it hurts when I go like this” moment.

People talk about baseball here?
2 x
During a "Not For Women Only" panel discussion, former Cubs pitcher Mike Bielecki asked several players to invent a baseball catch phrase for Viagra. Theriot's ad campaign: "Viagra -- I always play hard."

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34171
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 842
x 5700

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:39 pm

zobrist is not fast and does not play CF so he can’t lead off
4 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23191
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6163
x 4545

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 pm

The Padres have asked about Bote/we’ve had discussions with them about him. Allegedly. Figure out a way to have them take Chatwood for him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3827
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 116
x 424

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Bull » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:zobrist is not fast and does not play CF so he can’t lead off

While I agree with the sarcastic sentiment here, Zobrist is old and crusty, and there’s no guarantee he’ll continue to get on base at a —— holy crap! He had a .378 OBP last year?!? Nevermind.
0 x
Image

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6963
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 795

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 pm

Bull wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:zobrist is not fast and does not play CF so he can’t lead off

While I agree with the sarcastic sentiment here, Zobrist is old and crusty, and there’s no guarantee he’ll continue to get on base at a —— holy crap! He had a .378 OBP last year?!? Nevermind.


Plus he needs like four days off per week.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests