The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:41 am

Robbins was PG’s 7th ranked D3 prospect for 2016 (pretty exciting) and attended Stevens Institute of Technology, a low key badass school
0 x
Spoiler: show

Deeg
All-Star

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread AKA The Rickettssss take a dump on EVERYTHING

Postby Deeg » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Robbins was PG’s 7th ranked D3 prospect for 2016 (pretty exciting) and attended Stevens Institute of Technology, a low key badass school

Couldn't get into Devry?
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:06 am

Deeg wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Robbins was PG’s 7th ranked D3 prospect for 2016 (pretty exciting) and attended Stevens Institute of Technology, a low key badass school

Couldn't get into Devry?

I think you’re confusing Stevens with Stockton State
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:28 pm

Deeg wrote:

Couldn't get into Devry?

Don't be knocking my hometown school. Go Ducks!
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:34 pm

https://stevensducks.com/news/2019/2/4/ ... h=baseball

HOBOKEN, N.J. (February 4, 2019) – Stevens Institute of Technology baseball alumnus Robert Robbins has signed a minor league free agent contract with the Chicago Cubs, it was announced today.

It will be the fourth straight year as a professional for the Tallahassee, Florida native, but the first with an affiliated team. Robbins previously spent parts of three seasons in the Frontier League and was most recently with Windy City last June. Over his three-year minor league career, Robbins is 0-1, with a 5.61 ERA, but the 24-year old right-handed pitcher has struck out 21 over 25 2-3 innings. Robbins has also spent time at the Driveline Baseball Training Facility in Kent, Washington working on his craft.

"It's been an extremely long journey," Robbins said. "I'm incredibly happy at the improvement I've made [over] the last three years."

"I've learned a lot about myself," he continued. "I'm excited to prove myself at this next level. In addition, I'm proud to represent my alma mater and Division III players around the country."

Robbins appeared in 43 games during his four seasons on Castle Point, drawing 35 starts. He totaled 18 victories with 198 strikeouts over 188 2-3 innings and ranks among the program's all-time top-10 in innings pitched, wins, strikeouts and earned-run average. Robbins was named Third Team All-New York Region by d3baseball.com in 2015 and was a two-time New Jersey Collegiate Baseball Association (NJCBA) All-Star. A two-time Honorable Mention All-Empire 8 Conference performer, Robbins was selected to the league's First Team in his senior season.

"This is a great story," offered head baseball coach Kristaps Aldins. "Robert is a fantastic person and we couldn't be happier for him. His relentless pursuit of realizing this goal is something truly inspiring. He has certainly had his ups and downs over the past few years, just like all of us do in our various careers. But Robert's unwillingness to give up is a great lesson and motivator for anyone out there chasing their dreams. This accomplishment is something that all of our baseball student-athletes, alumni, fans and the entire Stevens community can celebrate."

Robbins is believed to be one of seven Ducks to play professional baseball and he will become the fourth to spend time with an affiliated team. Stevens Athletics Hall of Famer David Garcia spent seven seasons in the minors, reaching as high as Double-A with both the Detroit Tigers and Kansas City Royals organizations. Robbins' teammate Jayson Yano also spent one season in the Frontier League, appearing in four games with Windy City in 2016.

Additionally, Andrew Matthews played four seasons of minor league baseball with the organizational affiliates of both the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers organizations.

Then-junior Charles Ruegger became the second player in program history to be selected in the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft after the New York Yankees made the Morris Plains, New Jersey native their 33rd selection. Ruegger reported to New York's team in the Gulf Coast League and fanned seven over 9 2-3 innings with a pair of saves.

Finally, Quinn DiPasquale turned professional after graduation last summer and spent time in both the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball and the Frontier League.

Alumnus Tom Phillips is the lone Duck to play internationally, signing with the Fussen Royal Bavarians in Germany after exhausting his collegiate eligibility.

Robbins is expected to report to the Cubs' Spring Training in Mesa, Arizona.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Deeg wrote:

Couldn't get into Devry?

I think you’re confusing Stevens with Stockton State

0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:47 pm

The more I look at this team the more I am able to talk myself into the pitching staff. The starting staff isn't sexy, but it looks solidly above average. There's upside there too. Darvish obviously, but Quintana too. For as bad as he was last year, his velocity was fine, and he threw strikes and missed bats at his normal rates. Pitchers break constantly, but most of the time it's because one of those three things went south. That those underlying skills are still in tact makes me more optimistic about a rebound than I typically would be.

The bullpen would ideally have one more established frontline guy, but I LOVE the depth. It might take until Memorial Day to figure out which guys really ought to have the last couple spots, but I see big things once they do. And with Strop/Cishek/Carl out there anchoring, I'm not too worried about it being some dumpster fire in the meantime.

What I am worried about though is the outfield. I can see a situation where Schwarber's a liability with the glove, Heyward and Almora are liabilities at the plate, and Zobrist and Happ are just plain liabilities. It'll *probably* be fine; Schwarber's probably the guy he was last year and odds are at least two of the others will be worth playing. But if I'm looking for an area where things might go awry that's where my eyes keep going. If only there was someone out there who could flip the outfield from a potential weakness to a big strength.
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Bertz wrote:The more I look at this team the more I am able to talk myself into the pitching staff. The starting staff isn't sexy, but it looks solidly above average. There's upside there too. Darvish obviously, but Quintana too. For as bad as he was last year, his velocity was fine, and he threw strikes and missed bats at his normal rates. Pitchers break constantly, but most of the time it's because one of those three things went south. That those underlying skills are still in tact makes me more optimistic about a rebound than I typically would be.

The bullpen would ideally have one more established frontline guy, but I LOVE the depth. It might take until Memorial Day to figure out which guys really ought to have the last couple spots, but I see big things once they do. And with Strop/Cishek/Carl out there anchoring, I'm not too worried about it being some dumpster fire in the meantime.

What I am worried about though is the outfield. I can see a situation where Schwarber's a liability with the glove, Heyward and Almora are liabilities at the plate, and Zobrist and Happ are just plain liabilities. It'll *probably* be fine; Schwarber's probably the guy he was last year and odds are at least two of the others will be worth playing. But if I'm looking for an area where things might go awry that's where my eyes keep going. If only there was someone out there who could flip the outfield from a potential weakness to a big strength.

Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great. Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Bertz wrote:The more I look at this team the more I am able to talk myself into the pitching staff. The starting staff isn't sexy, but it looks solidly above average. There's upside there too. Darvish obviously, but Quintana too. For as bad as he was last year, his velocity was fine, and he threw strikes and missed bats at his normal rates. Pitchers break constantly, but most of the time it's because one of those three things went south. That those underlying skills are still in tact makes me more optimistic about a rebound than I typically would be.

Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great. Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy.

Well, we're in a decent position to sustain an injury or two. Montgomery did more than fine as a starter last year. The depth guys would be fine as 4/5 starters or injury fill-ins. All five starters are guys who could provide top of the rotation performance, so it's likely at least someone will.

There's a fair amount of hoping involved, but they are pitchers. That's true of any pitching staff. Look at Milwaukee and go through the same exercise.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great. Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy.

The Cubs won 95 games last year with way more going wrong than right. I’d ask you to pick a new schtick but I know you don’t have it in you to avoid bad faith arguments.
3 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great. Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy.

The Cubs won 95 games last year with way more going wrong than right. I’d ask you to pick a new schtick but I know you don’t have it in you to avoid bad faith arguments.

Could go back to the three way trade schtick. That one was at least fun.

Having to hope the “old timers stay ‘young’” is pretty easily offset by the players that are going to start costing money soon developing normally (ie without having to hope them into it).

As TT said is the same team that won 95 games last year. The division is improved, but there’s little chance things go so wrong for the Cubs this year. It’s a wash.

Still the team to beat. It’s a disappointment they didn’t improve on it to put them over the top, but hopefully there’s trade deadline room for that.

I like this team.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:25 pm

I posted something positive and you start with the negative "schtick". All winter people have posted about the lack of transactions by the Cubs, so I'm assuming that they also thought that some roster positions could be improved even though "The Cubs won 95 games last year with way more going wrong than right."
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

I posted something positive and you start with the negative "schtick". All winter people have posted about the lack of transactions by the Cubs, so I'm assuming that they also thought that some roster positions could be improved even though "The Cubs won 95 games last year with way more going wrong than right."

On what planet is what you wrote a positive comment?

Are you so jaded that you honestly believe that writing "Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great" is positive?

There's only two sentences in your post. Let's look at the second one... "Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy."

Yeah, still no.

Please explain how you think either of the above statements is positive.
0 x

Neuby
All-Star

Postby Neuby » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:10 pm

Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Are you so jaded that you honestly believe that writing "Yeah, the Cubs are fine as long as everything goes right, but the odds of everything going right over a long season aren't great" is positive?

There's only two sentences in your post. Let's look at the second one... "Since they didn't spend the money or make any trades (yet), we have to hope the semi-injured bounce back, the old-timers stay "young" for another year, and everyone stays healthy."

Yeah, still no.

https://www.sciencealert.com/people-who ... tists-find
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Yeah, still no.

I guess I shouldn't have used "everything" has to go right, but I don't think very many of us are comfortable with the lack of activity while other teams improved. We are still "the team to beat" in the NL Central and we should win the Division easily if Darvish and Bryant return to their norms.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

How many games do they project to win this year?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 am

this is hagerty
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:How many games do they project to win this year?

Fangraphs have them at 88 wins, two games ahead of the Cardinals for the division lead, and with only the Dodgers (93) and Nationals (91) ahead of them in the NL.

The failure to do anything this offseason is less about the Cubs being bad and more about them refusing to go over the top when the opportunity is clearly there.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:50 am

David wrote:https://twitter.com/X2Athletics/status/1094688964718391296?s=19

this is hagerty

4 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:14 am

What the hay is going on with the Brad Brach signing?
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:21 pm

champaignchris wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:How many games do they project to win this year?

Fangraphs have them at 88 wins, two games ahead of the Cardinals for the division lead, and with only the Dodgers (93) and Nationals (91) ahead of them in the NL.

The failure to do anything this offseason is less about the Cubs being bad and more about them refusing to go over the top when the opportunity is clearly there.

I don't think most people think the Cubs are bad. Getting Harper won't put the Cubs "over the top", but it will put them in a better position to win. Frankly, I'm more worried about the starting pitching (not necessarily injuries either) than anything else.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Bear Cub wrote:What the hay is going on with the Brad Brach signing?

I could be imaging things, but it feels like this happened last year - signing was reported by not officially announced for a couple of weeks.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:18 pm

definitely not a thing but what the hell why not
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

David wrote:

It looks like Machado is thinking, and there is a light bulb above his head. Almost like hes hanging out with Almora and Schwarbs and realizes that he should probably do the Dawson blank check thing and sign with the Cubs.
1 x
Win it for Fred

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

David wrote:

was that taken at almora's kid's christening?
0 x

Return to “Transactions”