The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My read is that the Cubs are restricted on spending inasmuch in that they're planning on dropping hundreds of millions on Bryce Harper despite having a perfectly good offense without him

NEVER SETTLE FOR THESE DONGLESS SCUMBAGS.

Your home runs uber alles campaign is going to some strange places. Wherever will an offense with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras find power?

Sometimes you play the straight man role a little TOO well for your own good.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Well they just brought their best September dongman back (Hamels)
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I’m a little scared of a scenario in which the Cubs miss on Harper/Machado and then Ricketts doesn’t approve the same budget if we aren’t adding a star.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 pm

treebird wrote:I’m a little scared of a scenario in which the Cubs miss on Harper/Machado and then Ricketts doesn’t approve the same budget if we aren’t adding a star.

That was my thought.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:22 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My read is that the Cubs are restricted on spending inasmuch in that they're planning on dropping hundreds of millions on Bryce Harper despite having a perfectly good offense without him

NEVER SETTLE FOR THESE DONGLESS SCUMBAGS.

Your home runs uber alles campaign is going to some strange places. Wherever will an offense with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras find power?

They were 11th in the NL in home runs last year with all those boys on the roster.
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:30 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Your home runs uber alles campaign is going to some strange places. Wherever will an offense with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras find power?

They were 11th in the NL in home runs last year with all those boys on the roster.

And one home run off of first the year before that with the same cast of characters. I'm also told that the hitting coach last year was unpopular. Point being that if the primary thing you're worried about is home runs(since the team scored plenty of runs, had a high wRC+, etc), the players on hand already are going to make or break that, you aren't going to ship off Schwarber in search of more homers.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:32 pm

treebird wrote:I’m a little scared of a scenario in which the Cubs miss on Harper/Machado and then Ricketts doesn’t approve the same budget if we aren’t adding a star.

If they don't get Harper or Machado, the path to a similar type of improvement is probably far less correlated with spending.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Look at this grannyball-loving motherjumper over here.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:My read is that the Cubs are restricted on spending inasmuch in that they're planning on dropping hundreds of millions on Bryce Harper despite having a perfectly good offense without him, so they'll have to do more work on the margins to fit in the relievers or an additional SP they want to do on top of that. Anyone who says 'they're already over the luxury tax, they're tapped out' is not connected to the reality that the Cubs have very clearly been gearing up to play for Harper(or, sigh, Machado) and nothing has changed in that regard.

Yeah I also believe that something like this is really what’s going on. I also could see that writers caught wind we were working a trade with Texas (because we knew we could likely get them to take something instead of just eating $6 mil and it was an easy way to shed some money) and jumped to conclusions about what that actually meant for the whole offseason in terms of what we have to spend and how willing that is.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:45 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Your home runs uber alles campaign is going to some strange places. Wherever will an offense with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras find power?

And one home run off of first the year before that with the same cast of characters. I'm also told that the hitting coach last year was unpopular. Point being that if the primary thing you're worried about is home runs(since the team scored plenty of runs, had a high wRC+, etc), the players on hand already are going to make or break that, you aren't going to ship off Schwarber in search of more homers.

you're getting caught looking backwards. Bryant is an unknown now power-wise, Rizzo is officially out of his prime, Baez had a career year, and Contreras hit like 7 home runs last year.

That's not a guarantee that they'll all be sapped of power again in 2019 but it certainly lowers the odds that you can just count on them to be well above average in the dong department again
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Mooney decides to get in on the doom mongering: https://theathletic.com/630609/2018/11/ ... ce-harper/

If the Cubs are so tight financially that they are unlikely to be able to be serious contenders for Harper when nothing has changed in 6-12 months on that trajectory, you have to think that Theo prioritized bringing back Hamels at 15-20 million over the pursuit of Harper.

Or, you could see them needing to make a decision on Hamels and using the leverage that decision had over Texas to get rid of some of the modest amount of payroll they'll want to shed after adding Harper and Hamels.
5 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Some roster clean up and a small add

0 x
Screw Pitchers

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:23 pm

What sucks is evidently we've got no real idea yet on what kind of money we'll be working with in the future. The massive TV deal window missed us by a bit obviously. But, it seems like he's saying this is a main reason they're so noncommittal right now too.

I'll say this: I definitely don't think we're going past 246. The question becomes are we even certain we'll go past 226, if we can't get Bryce?

And is the Hamels move, actually a no-brainer, because we already know we've got extremely long odds at Bryce? Maybe we've known this all along?

He does say we'll get creative this offseason. But, you've got to wonder how many subtractions is worth it, to acquire Bryce?
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:20 pm

davell wrote:What sucks is evidently we've got no real idea yet on what kind of money we'll be working with in the future. The massive TV deal window missed us by a bit obviously. But, it seems like he's saying this is a main reason they're so noncommittal right now too.

I'll say this: I definitely don't think we're going past 246. The question becomes are we even certain we'll go past 226, if we can't get Bryce?

And is the Hamels move, actually a no-brainer, because we already know we've got extremely long odds at Bryce? Maybe we've known this all along?

He does say we'll get creative this offseason. But, you've got to wonder how many subtractions is worth it, to acquire Bryce?

I call bullcrap on Mooney there. These deals are always finalized at least a year out. And with how big and complicated they are, they damn sure are far enough along at this point to know at least what neighborhood it's in financially. Maybe it turns out to be a disappointment, but they know by now.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 pm

I did kinda miss the Poor Tom Ricketts meme, tbh
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I did kinda miss the Poor Tom Ricketts meme, tbh

It's coming back in a big, big way, baby!
1 x
► Show Spoiler

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Bertz wrote:
davell wrote:What sucks is evidently we've got no real idea yet on what kind of money we'll be working with in the future. The massive TV deal window missed us by a bit obviously. But, it seems like he's saying this is a main reason they're so noncommittal right now too.

I call bullcrap on Mooney there. These deals are always finalized at least a year out. And with how big and complicated they are, they damn sure are far enough along at this point to know at least what neighborhood it's in financially. Maybe it turns out to be a disappointment, but they know by now.

Eh, with this market changing drastically and quickly too, it wouldn't shock me if they're not on firm enough ground to know where they stand yet. In fact, I prefer thinking that way, to knowing the deal isn't going to be nearly as lucrative as we had hoped.......

Hell, signing Bryce increases value here too, is the funny thing.
0 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Perd
Role Player

Postby Perd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:45 pm

Isn’t Mooney always doom and gloom? At least when it comes to player acquisitions l. I could be wrong, but every trade deadline/offseason, he always seems to throw cold water on everything.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:46 pm

What are we hoping to get for media rights v the realistic expectation?
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:08 pm

Perd wrote:Isn’t Mooney always doom and gloom? At least when it comes to player acquisitions l. I could be wrong, but every trade deadline/offseason, he always seems to throw cold water on everything.

He’s def turned more in to a doom boner/hot take clicks since he’s been at the athletic
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:What are we hoping to get for media rights v the realistic expectation?

The Phillies got $2.5 billion over 25 years 4 years ago. Maybe $3-4 billion over the same period, if not more if we do our own network?

Fangraphs had an article

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/cubs-pa ... l-tv-deal/
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:The Phillies got $2.5 billion over 25 years 4 years ago. Maybe $3-4 billion over the same period, if not more if we do our own network?

Starting a cable network seems like the surest path to making serious money off of streaming rights for an individual MLB team. I might be wrong, but if true they’re almost definitely going to launch a network.

The Cubs make what...$80-$100 million a year under their current media rights deals? Is $150+ out of the picture? I think YES does more than that for the Yankees, like alot more, largely thanks to their streaming service (also some really friendly terms on their FOX now Disney deal)
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:The Phillies got $2.5 billion over 25 years 4 years ago. Maybe $3-4 billion over the same period, if not more if we do our own network?

Starting a cable network seems like the surest path to making serious money off of streaming rights for an individual MLB team. I might be wrong, but if true they’re almost definitely going to launch a network.

he Cubs make what...$80-$100 million a year under their current media rights deals?Is $150+ out of the picture? I think YES does more than that for the Yankees, like alot more, largely thanks to their streaming service (also some really friendly terms on their FOX now Disney deal)

$77, we have a garbage deal right now. We should be able to clear $100 million easily.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:12 am

Cubswin11 wrote:$77, we have a garbage deal right now. We should be able to clear $100 million easily.

Oh yeah, $100 million without breaking a sweat - to the point where I thought they were in the range already on weaker deals. If the Phillies can do that without any serious potential to host a network it would be embarrassing...These guys have been working on this for a half decade+!

Honestly not seeing anything to be pessimistic about their ability to spend in actual actions, which should also offer a hint that we’re going to do just fine on media rights and overall.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:23 am

Tommy: Ian Happ for Jon Gray…..Who says no?

Eric A Longenhagen: Cubs

From this week’s chat

Also says he likes alot of players on AZL Cubs and Eugene, no one soecific mentioned this time
0 x

Return to “Transactions”