The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 107

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby champaignchris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:30 pm

Astros a decent salary dump trade partner?

They just lost McCullers to TJS. Verlander and Cole are their only other returning starting pitchers and they’re both FA’s after 2019. They’ve got a few promising rookies and can move Peacock back from the pen, but that’s not a particularly impressive starting pitching staff for a team with World Series ambitions over the next few years.

Package Quintana with a bad contract (or two)? Or maybe just Chatwood or Darvish straight up?

ETA - while Heyward is pricey, he’s arguably an upgrade over their outfielders other than Springer.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58770
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2360
x 7942

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:35 pm

champaignchris wrote:Package Quintana with a bad contract (or two)? Or maybe just Chatwood or Darvish straight up?

no thank you
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:23 pm

champaignchris wrote:Astros a decent salary dump trade partner?
Package Quintana with a bad contract (or two)? Or maybe just Chatwood or Darvish straight up?

ETA - while Heyward is pricey, he’s arguably an upgrade over their outfielders other than Springer.


Am I understanding this right that you are hopeful we could just trade them Chatwood, Darvish or perhaps Heyward to them for nothing? Despite the reasons you gave why they would, why in the world they take on any of those contracts for those players?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3769
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 97
x 377

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bull » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Astros a decent salary dump trade partner?
Package Quintana with a bad contract (or two)? Or maybe just Chatwood or Darvish straight up?

ETA - while Heyward is pricey, he’s arguably an upgrade over their outfielders other than Springer.


Am I understanding this right that you are hopeful we could just trade them Chatwood, Darvish or perhaps Heyward to them for nothing? Despite the reasons you gave why they would, why in the world they take on any of those contracts for those players?

Because cubs eat half of contract, Astros dip the guys throwing hand in their patented molasses and horse bone mixture and Boom! Cheap cy young.
0 x
Image

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 4
x 107

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby champaignchris » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 pm

I’m just suggesting asset that Astros want (starting pitcher or outfielder) + big contract that somewhat fits into Astros’ roster (starting pitcher or outfielder) in return for something with a smaller contract than what the Cubs traded.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Bull wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Astros a decent salary dump trade partner?
Package Quintana with a bad contract (or two)? Or maybe just Chatwood or Darvish straight up?

ETA - while Heyward is pricey, he’s arguably an upgrade over their outfielders other than Springer.


Am I understanding this right that you are hopeful we could just trade them Chatwood, Darvish or perhaps Heyward to them for nothing? Despite the reasons you gave why they would, why in the world they take on any of those contracts for those players?

Because cubs eat half of contract, Astros dip the guys throwing hand in their patented molasses and horse bone mixture and Boom! Cheap cy young.


Oh, I thought he was talking about eating the whole contract.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22698
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5760
x 4356

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm

What a depressing couple of articles





Image
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22698
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5760
x 4356

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I like that this is a focus but these are half measures if we don’t add Bryce



Image
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
treebird
chinese food
Posts: 20757
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:25 am
x 2650
x 1763

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby treebird » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:12 pm

horsefeathers this i’m out
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Over-focusing on something micro like a "power lefty reliever?"

Theo turned into Jim Hendry so slowly I didn't even notice it happening.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:34 pm

I sense people around here are starting to realize maybe all these reports are true.

Who still has us getting Bryce?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Over-focusing on something micro like a "power lefty reliever?"

Theo turned into Jim Hendry so slowly I didn't even notice it happening.


At least he got us that title before it happened.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22698
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5760
x 4356

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I sense people around here are starting to realize maybe all these reports are true.

Who still has us getting Bryce?

I’d say there’s still some small chance Theo pulls some magic and gets him. But in all likelihood that’s not the case and we aren’t getting him. I’d say I’m at 98% we aren’t getting him.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I realize we have a lot of young hitters, and that some might take a step forward this season after maybe taking a step back recently. But, man, those last two months scare the hell out of me. For that, I really hope we retool at least a bit.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22698
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5760
x 4356

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I realize we have a lot of young hitters, and that some might take a step forward this season after maybe taking a step back recently. But, man, those last two months scare the hell out of me. For that, I really hope we retool at least a bit.

It’s all half assed, half measures if we only re-tool to the level of just adding like McCutchen or a similar level player or 2. Like swapping in McCutchen for Happ or Schwarber doesn’t even probably add a win to projections.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6893
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 778

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:53 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I realize we have a lot of young hitters, and that some might take a step forward this season after maybe taking a step back recently. But, man, those last two months scare the hell out of me. For that, I really hope we retool at least a bit.

It’s all half assed, half measures if we only re-tool to the level of just adding like McCutchen or a similar level player or 2. Like swapping in McCutchen for Happ or Schwarber doesn’t even probably add a win to projections.


I would be happy with just adding 2016 Dexter Fowler.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1114
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 235
x 794

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Bryce will be a Cub

You would think we were at a Birdman concert with all the handwringing going on
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22698
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5760
x 4356

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I realize we have a lot of young hitters, and that some might take a step forward this season after maybe taking a step back recently. But, man, those last two months scare the hell out of me. For that, I really hope we retool at least a bit.

It’s all half assed, half measures if we only re-tool to the level of just adding like McCutchen or a similar level player or 2. Like swapping in McCutchen for Happ or Schwarber doesn’t even probably add a win to projections.


I would be happy with just adding 2016 Dexter Fowler.

Who is out there that’s adding ~4.5 WAR? Because I don’t see that guy outside of Bryce or Machado.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22628
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 774
x 1357

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 am

i still believe
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77406
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9667
x 12811

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:40 am

Cubswin11 wrote:What a depressing couple of articles





Image


Image
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1383
x 568

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 am

I'm passing on my season ticket renewal if we don't try to sign Bryce or part ways with Russell by January
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

r_mack
Starter
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am
x 38
x 39

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby r_mack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 am

javy knows my name wrote:I'm passing on my season ticket renewal if we don't try to sign Bryce or part ways with Russell by January

Someone else will gladly take your place
0 x

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9090
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1383
x 568

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 am

r_mack wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:I'm passing on my season ticket renewal if we don't try to sign Bryce or part ways with Russell by January

Someone else will gladly take your place


You don't say
1 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33910
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 768
x 5377

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:43 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
r_mack wrote:
javy knows my name wrote:I'm passing on my season ticket renewal if we don't try to sign Bryce or part ways with Russell by January

Someone else will gladly take your place


You don't say

seriously. you. don't say.
3 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55688
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 427
x 5905

Re: The 2018-2019 Cubs Offseason Rumors & Discussion Thread - "On wrongs swift vengeance waits..."

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:32 pm

There is a part of me that enjoys trying to brainstorm how to optimize the roster given constraints, team building has always been a fun puzzle in that way for me. The Dodgers especially have shown the benefit of not being slave to free agency to find really good production(Turner, Muncy, Hill, etc).

That said, even if I'm in that brain, and I promise to not beat this drum for a month, I have a hard time understanding why you bring back Hamels if you're stifled financially. If you successfully bring in Harper(and it's easy to do at the 246 mark without Hamels' contract), then the remaining spots on the roster needing filled(pre-Hamels) are *prime candidates* for the type of outside the box thinking that you'd need for upgrading on the cheap. 5th/6th starter, bullpen arms, backup C, an infielder to play SS, etc. I mean, it's cherry picking, but Anibal Sanchez, Jeremy Hellickson, and old pal Trevor Cahill were league average starters for a combined 4 million and change. Erik Kratz was a minor league signing last offseason, outside of Cozart getting signed to play 3B no SS made 3 million in free agency last year, and we all know how good relievers come and go like the wind regardless of their origin. Harper's productivity gives you the most cost certainty if you're dealing with a limited budget, and he also more easily enables you to make a trade of Happ/Almora too, unlike if you're taking a gamble on Timmy Waiverclaim where you'd like the depth.

That's what gets me about the crying poor stuff. If it's true, then you very clearly shouldn't have paid Hamels! So either it's not true, or the front office made a huge blunder on day 1 by means of not optimizing the roster and/or way overestimating Hamels. I'm continuing to think it's the former, at least to the degree that they didn't shoot themselves in the foot on the Harper front and they simply want any Harper suitor to be willing to take on their salary dumps without seeing them as a threat for him. If it's the latter I'll be as upset with the front office as I've been their entire tenure.
6 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bruno7481, chopsx9, Cubswin11, David, Google Adsense [Bot], JennieGarthAlgar, muntjack, Sammy Sofa, SparkMark1, TarzanJoeWallis and 9 guests