Some scattered ideas that don't necessarily fit together:
- Sign Harper
- Bring back Hamels(remember, the option is really 14 million for purposes that matter), and the moment it's not damaging to the relationship(maybe in spring training after performances dictate), tell Smyly he's a reliever.
- Don't add a starter but piggyback Darvish/Smyly and Montgomery/Chatwood
- Find a second baseman who can take over the Zobrist mantle, Zobrist's presence means this can be a more speculative move(especially if you add Harper), but with Baez a permanent SS now there's a hole there that can't really wait or be planned as Hoerner's spot(though that is a possibility as early as summer 2020). So instead of feeling like you have to pay Jed Lowrie, you can try to find the next Joey Wendle.
- Asdrubal Cabrera fits the roster pretty well on a short deal
- Need to make sure the backup C is used more often next year. Whether that's finding another Ross or hitting Joe in the head til he plays Caratini, I don't have super strong feelings. Maldonado and Mathis are both plus framers that are FA, even if neither can hit.
- If you can add to the top of the pen, the depth with new guy, Morrow, Strop, Edwards, Cishek would be very strong. David Robertson has some decline coming, but he's been pretty underrated over the years despite having made 50 million in his career. I'm fine with Chavez coming back too although ideally not as the best addition. It'd be interesting to see the trade targets the FO can come up with too.
- Sign Harper, in case you've forgotten.