2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Wait, they had a 95+ win team last year. I thought the best play was to do nothing and cry broke?
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 pm

Jays are paying $16-18 million of his salary. Between just cutting and eating all of Tulo’s money and now this amount they’re eating I’m surprised we didn’t work out a Chatwood or Heyward swap for one of or both Tulo/Martin. Seemed to make sense and they fill some needs.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/arashmadani/status/1083801894986772480?s=21
Jays are paying $16-18 million of his salary. Between just cutting and eating all of Tulo’s money and now this amount they’re eating I’m surprised we didn’t work out a Chatwood or Heyward swap for one of or both Tulo/Martin. Seemed to make sense and they fill some needs.

That would be a good tea leaf in the "we're actually going to add players" direction. Might mean we're not willing to do a bad contract swap, and instead want the money off the books.

Or it could be just another log on the fire of this horsefeathering Max Bialystok offseason.
0 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:
Derwood wrote:So they have two spots for Torres, Grigorious, Tulo and LeMahieu. Trade coming?

Tulo is no lock to he healthy a whole year and Didi may miss most of the season. Torres at short, DJ at 2B, Tulo backs both up if healthy/gets some DH at bats

Well, since they have such a dearth of infielders, we've got one they can have for a bag of peanuts...
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/arashmadani/status/1083801894986772480?s=21

I'm starting to wonder if the Ricketts' took away Theo and Jed's phones, and put them in the corner or something. They're not signing players. They're not trading players. Are they even still alive?
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 am

Dodgers are all about the shrewd moves this offseason. I don't think they'll pay off but I can see the appeal in players like Martin, Schultz, and prospects like Gray and Downs for a team pretending to be broke.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:12 am

For horsefeathers sake, a 1 year deal and we have “closing opportunities.”

0 x
Screw Pitchers

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 am

we may not be in on cody allen because he just sucks butt
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:20 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:we may not be in on cody allen because he just sucks butt

Worse guys are “closers.” He’s likely mostly fine there in the regular season and let the better guys handle the leverage spots. Especially on a 1 year deal, there’s no risk.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:23 am

There was a bit on MLBTR today that the Angels MIGHT top a $165 million payroll IF they got creative. Horrendous, they can handle more

This offseason is really dumb but not because the Cubs missed out on Cody Allen. Guy hasn’t been a badass since 2015

The Angels are a solid fit for him too. His biggest problem is the longball, he loves to give those up, and IIRC that park is pitcher friendly.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:we may not be in on cody allen because he just sucks butt

Worse guys are “closers.” He’s likely mostly fine there in the regular season and let the better guys handle the leverage spots. Especially on a 1 year deal, there’s no risk.

If you’re trying to be the best, most dominant team possible the risk is that he continues to not be very good
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:30 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

as tight as things are, there will be much better uses of that money in-season. the risk is that you use already limited resources on a worthless position and then fill it with a bad player
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

as tight as things are, there will be much better uses of that money in-season. the risk is that you use already limited resources on a worthless position and then fill it with a bad player

Right. But I’m assuming we would at least have the little it takes for him on a 1 year deal and for any in season deals needed for the pen. He’d make the pen stronger on paper to start the year and at least let us re-evaluate around June or whenever Morrow is back what needs to be added or who shifted to what roles. It sucks to be this poor I guess.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:35 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Right. But I’m assuming we would at least have the little it takes for him on a 1 year deal and for any in season deals needed for the pen. He’d make the pen stronger on paper to start the year and at least let us re-evaluate around June or whenever Morrow is back what needs to be added or who shifted to what roles. It sucks to be this poor I guess.

By what? Being a recognizable-ish name? It isn’t the stats since he’s giving up way too many HRs, K’ing fewer guys, and walking more batters
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Worse guys are “closers.” He’s likely mostly fine there in the regular season and let the better guys handle the leverage spots. Especially on a 1 year deal, there’s no risk.

Right. But I’m assuming we would at least have the little it takes for him on a 1 year deal and for any in season deals needed for the pen. He’d make the pen stronger on paper to start the year and at least let us re-evaluate around June or whenever Morrow is back what needs to be added or who shifted to what roles. It sucks to be this poor I guess.

why wouldnt they have just re-signed chavez
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

why wouldnt they have just re-signed chavez

At this point of the offseason, yeah. I'd obviously love to have him back. I wonder if they didn't want to get in to another Duensing situation and give a guy a 2+ year deal who was older, with a spotty history and only based off of a month or two of work, or they didn't think Ricketts was serious about the spending limits being so strict and they thought they could aim higher eventually getting some money to work with (he did sign really early in the offseason), or maybe spending real is that reigned in right now. Everything sucks.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 am

Jesse Chavez sucks too. The guy’s given ip nearly FORTU HRs the past two seasons, and was not particularly good in the first half. If we’re going to lament them not signing good players at least let them actually be good players...
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Jesse Chavez sucks too. If we’re going to lament them not signing good players at least let them actually be good players...

the point is if they were ever remotely willing to spend $9 million on someone like cody allen, they would have just done 2/8 on chavez months ago
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Right. But I’m assuming we would at least have the little it takes for him on a 1 year deal and for any in season deals needed for the pen. He’d make the pen stronger on paper to start the year and at least let us re-evaluate around June or whenever Morrow is back what needs to be added or who shifted to what roles. It sucks to be this poor I guess.

By what? Being a recognizable-ish name? It isn’t the stats since he’s giving up way too many HRs, K’ing fewer guys, and walking more batters

I do believe a little in a guy having "closer experience" being a thing. So that plays a role. As I've maintained all year, my main interest in him was in this scenario where he could just be had for really cheap. He wasn't a guy I had to have at any cost. I think he's still plenty fine for the traditional closer role, it's the "easiest" job to do in theory so he doesn't even need to be the best relief pitcher just show he has had success in that role to me. Let the actually good relief pitchers handle the leverage situations during the year and look at upgrades/shifting roles as the year goes on. I'm fine missing on him, but think for a 1 year deal he would've been a perfectly fine addition.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:57 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Jesse Chavez sucks too. The guy’s given ip nearly FORTU HRs the past two seasons, and was not particularly good in the first half. If we’re going to lament them not signing good players at least let them actually be good players...

I think the HR numbers can partially be explained by him being a SP in 2017 and also pitching in Texas for a good chunk of the year last year. He probably is HR prone with his approach of pounding and being around the zone regardless, but being a starter and pitching in Texas probably brings out some extremes. There needs to be some context there.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I do believe a little in a guy having "closer experience" being a thing. So that plays a role. As I've maintained all year, my main interest in him was in this scenario where he could just be had for really cheap. He wasn't a guy I had to have at any cost. I think he's still plenty fine for the traditional closer role, it's the "easiest" job to do in theory so he doesn't even need to be the best relief pitcher just show he has had success in that role to me. Let the actually good relief pitchers handle the leverage situations during the year and look at upgrades/shifting roles as the year goes on. I'm fine missing on him, but think for a 1 year deal he would've been a perfectly fine addition.

The Cubs for the most part already have that guy you’re talking about in Morrow, who has been better when healthy the past two seasons and was doing just fine in that role (closing without being the team’s actual best reliever at the time, Edwards was crushing it then plus Strop and Cishek were holding up). Chasing another one of those shaky non-elites, one whose periphs have been going backwards for years now, is not all that appealing and honestly is settling (if he even bounces back some) the franchise into this role of mingling among very good teams without ever separating to become truly great during a still cracked open window.

Cubswin11 wrote:I think the HR numbers can partially be explained by him being a SP in 2017 and also pitching in Texas for a good chunk of the year last year. He probably is HR prone with his approach of pounding and being around the zone regardless, but being a starter and pitching in Texas probably brings out some extremes. There needs to be some context there.

Maybe, but he’s also been pretty good like two maybe two and a half times in his career. It’s really most likely that he’s just not very good, had a bit of a career year, and ended up with a rebuild this offseason because teams kinda know it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I do believe a little in a guy having "closer experience" being a thing. So that plays a role. As I've maintained all year, my main interest in him was in this scenario where he could just be had for really cheap. He wasn't a guy I had to have at any cost. I think he's still plenty fine for the traditional closer role, it's the "easiest" job to do in theory so he doesn't even need to be the best relief pitcher just show he has had success in that role to me. Let the actually good relief pitchers handle the leverage situations during the year and look at upgrades/shifting roles as the year goes on. I'm fine missing on him, but think for a 1 year deal he would've been a perfectly fine addition.

The Cubs for the most part already have that guy you’re talking about in Morrow, who has been better when healthy the past two season and was doing just fine in that role (closing without being the team’s actual best reliever at the time, Edwards was crushing it then plus Strop and Cishek were holding up). Chasing another one of those shaky non-elites, one whose periphs have been going backwards for years now, is not all that appealing and honestly is settling the franchise into this role of mingling among very good teams without ever separating to become truly great during a still cracked open window.

Morrow is absolutely our best relief pitcher when healthy. I'd rather have him available for leverage spots vs traditional closing spots if he could handle the role from a physical stand point (which how they've talked he probably just needs to be a regular closer during the year and be used whenever he warms up and be on a strict schedule until the postseason).

As for the latter part, we've been over our thoughts on building out the bullpen and I don't want to rehash that.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Morrow is absolutely our best relief pitcher when healthy. I'd rather have him available for leverage spots vs traditional closing spots if he could handle the role from a physical stand point (which how they've talked he probably just needs to be a regular closer during the year and be used whenever he warms up and be on a strict schedule until the postseason).

As for the latter part, we've been over our thoughts on building out the bullpen and I don't want to rehash that.

Regardless moving forward, Cishek was the team’s best reliever last year

I wouldn’t mind moving Morrow from the closer role so long as the closer job isn’t going to a bad bet like Cody Allen. If they can secure the end of games it becomes easy to assign more concrete roles/assignments to the non-closers on a fairly regular basis (and especially playoffs). Otherwise I lean towards him as the closer.
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:46 am

How can any responsible plan for the bullpen possibly be contingent on Morrow staying healthy?
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 pm

As much of a wet butt as this offseason has been, I can't complain too much about the approach to the bullpen. If you're not going to go big for someone then just wait until February and grab like Ryan Madson or Oliver Perez for a couple million.

Zach Britton definitely would have been cool though.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”