2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:43 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 337
x 452

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Bertz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:09 am

Machado to either the Yankees or Dodgers and Bryce to the Phillies seems like a fait accompli at this point.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:14 am

I’ll guess Twins, Rangers, Angels, Padres and Braves as mystery teams for him. Assuming the mystery team is a spot he doesn’t love outside of $$.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 337
x 452

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Bertz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:23 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I’ll guess Twins, Rangers, Angels, Padres and Braves as mystery teams for him. Assuming the mystery team is a spot he doesn’t love outside of $$.


The Twins are a really good guess. I saw on Twitter that they're currently in line for their lowest payroll since I believe '02. If not one of them than at the very least Keuchel.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:26 am

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I’ll guess Twins, Rangers, Angels, Padres and Braves as mystery teams for him. Assuming the mystery team is a spot he doesn’t love outside of $$.


The Twins are a really good guess. I saw on Twitter that they're currently in line for their lowest payroll since I believe '02. If not one of them than at the very least Keuchel.

Yeah and I saw they have like $300k on the books in guaranteed money in 2020. They could front load the horsefeathers out of a deal to him as a way to sway him and let him opt out after 2-3 years.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1234
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 624
x 317

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 pm

I sometimes forget that the Twins are still a MLB team
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5939
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 435
x 495

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:39 pm

The Twins and the Pohlads are gross. Please stay away, any major FA ever! I'd be cool if the A's came out of nowhere to sign Machado. I'd become an A's fan, enjoy some Matt Chapman and AJ Puk (soon!) for a little, and then when they announce public funding numbers for the new park hopefully have the balls to just drop MLB from my life altogether.

I understand it's completely arbitrary to find the Twins gross but not the A's. I really should find the A's to be gross too. Pro sports suck
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:10 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Don’t really get the point in either side doing an extension, but okay.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Perd
Starter
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:39 am
x 27
x 185

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Perd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:30 pm

Reds furthering their cause to be MLB’s version of the Expendables.
0 x

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 337
x 452

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Bertz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm

The Reds are really interesting. They're pretty good basically everywhere, they just don't have any star power beyond Votto and Suarez. Very similar to the Pirates honestly.

But the most Reds thing that could possibly happen is for this to be the year Votto gets old which just gives back most of the gains they make with their pitching staff.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5939
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 435
x 495

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:25 am

Gj Reds, their pitching might take a giant leap forward this year. They’ve piled up alot of velocity and spin on some still young arms...That extension’s a potential steal too. If they make a clever enough move in CF that’s probably a competitive lineup given the bum ass rest of the league

I might be willing to say they’ll be a top 3 team in the division by the end of joke of an offseason. No one’s really trying hard to run away with it
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45102
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 77
x 2382
Contact:

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 am

It's going to be hard for NL Central teams to pile up any easy wins this year.

Whereas Cleveland really should win 100 games if they're any good at the plate.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Gj Reds, their pitching might take a giant leap forward this year. They’ve piled up alot of velocity and spin on some still young arms...That extension’s a potential steal too. If they make a clever enough move in CF that’s probably a competitive lineup given the bum ass rest of the league

I might be willing to say they’ll be a top 3 team in the division by the end of joke of an offseason. No one’s really trying hard to run away with it

The extension isn’t going to kill them but they very much are Chatwood’ing him with the logic for the extension with the road splits, spin and GB rates. Seems like both sides should’ve just played it out. He’s 30 so idk how much upside is really left from the team perspective and from his perspective even with 1 remotely good year he could exceed $30 mil (Lance Lynn just got 3/30) but I guess he never got paid before and this sets him and his family up for life and is the “safe” move. Agree they could easily finish 3rd, still don’t get what they are entirely doing trying to lock in 76-80 wins other than making the division more annoying.

Speaking of Chatwood.... if Sonny Gray is worth this (4/40+ guaranteed + ~$10+ million in prospect and draft pick value) Chatwood has to at least be a little moveable with a prospect(s) attached at 2/25 or whatever it is.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5939
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 435
x 495

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:41 am

Cubswin11 wrote:The extension isn’t going to kill them but they very much are Chatwood’ing him with the logic for the extension with the road splits, spin and GB rates. Seems like both sides should’ve just played it out. He’s 30 so idk how much upside is really left from the team perspective and from his perspective even with 1 remotely good year he could exceed $30 mil (Lance Lynn just got 3/30) but I guess he never got paid before and this sets him and his family up for life and is the “safe” move. Agree they could easily finish 3rd, still don’t get what they are entirely doing trying to lock in 76-80 wins other than making the division more annoying.


I don’t think they care about upside in a 30 YO with his pedigree. Guys like Castillo and Santillan have plenty of that on the pitching front. They’re looking for high quality innings, and Gray’s got lots of that under his belt. Gray’s got a huge resume, elite prep turned elite college turned top prospect turned first division ML starting pitcher. While the comp to Chatwood is somewhat interesting, and obviously pitchers are pitchers so Gray might be toast, they also have insanely different pedigrees, backgrounds, and of course injury histories (yes, still meh betting pre-injured non-elite pitchers) beyond those handful similarities. If I were gambling between the two the choice would easily be Gray, and they very likely do not get a Chatwood level collapse under the extension.

The Reds are a team with alot of talent and some serious talent on the way (Senzel, Trammel, Santillan, probably soon India). While the Cubs continue to rest on their 2016 laurels and 2015 farm rankings, begging for some team to come up and smack them in the mouth (for a third time in a row+), the Reds are setting up pretty well.

OTOH totally agreed that Chatwood should generate some trade interest, but we knew that before this deal. The A’s, Angels, Orioles, Twins, Blue Jays...Lots of teams need the innings
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6960
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 795

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:OTOH totally agreed that Chatwood should generate some trade interest, but we knew that before this deal. The A’s, Angels, Orioles, Twins, Blue Jays...Lots of teams need the innings


If Chatwood generated any trade interest, he'd have been traded by now.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2107
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Still loving the Cubs, despite the hot takes on this board lately!
x 284
x 334

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:13 am

Two years ago, the Cubs traded for Justin Wilson, and he was a disaster. He couldn’t find the plate, and the trade was a failure....that year. He was pretty solid last year.

My hope is that zchatwood follows a similar path. I’d be happy if he weren’t a dumpster fire this upcoming season.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Centralia, IL
x 430
x 95

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby abmillis » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:07 am

PackLandVA wrote:Two years ago, the Cubs traded for Justin Wilson, and he was a disaster. He couldn’t find the plate, and the trade was a failure....that year. He was pretty solid last year.

My hope is that zchatwood follows a similar path. I’d be happy if he weren’t a dumpster fire this upcoming season.


If Chatwood gave us a 2017 John Lackey season, how would you feel? I can’t imagine a more optimistic outcome.
0 x

User avatar
Deeg
All-Star
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Kagurazaka, Japan
x 6
x 22

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Deeg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:01 am

abmillis wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:Two years ago, the Cubs traded for Justin Wilson, and he was a disaster. He couldn’t find the plate, and the trade was a failure....that year. He was pretty solid last year.

My hope is that zchatwood follows a similar path. I’d be happy if he weren’t a dumpster fire this upcoming season.


If Chatwood gave us a 2017 John Lackey season, how would you feel? I can’t imagine a more optimistic outcome.


It's easy to imagine a more optimistic outcome, because he delivered it as recently as 2017. Is it likely? No - Chatwood was really, really broken last season. But if he's fixed, unlikely as that is, there's no reason why in theory he won't be fixed all the way. Which would be better than Lackey '17.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 337
x 452

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Bertz » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:22 am

I think the rosey outcome for Chatwood is that he's a good reliever. While I am certainly not saying it's the most likely outcome, you don't have to squint too hard to see 2017 Wade Davis. In relief Chatwood would presumably drop the sinker and the change, and go fastball/cutter/curve, just like Davis. Wade also had similar issues throwing strikes. He threw 43.4%of his pitches in the zone in 2017, Chatwood was at 43.3% last year.

The problem with Chatwood last year is that he would lose the zone for like 10-12 pitches at a time. So while the percentages are similar I think Chatwood might be more prone to meltdown. That being said maybe focusing on only 2-3 pitches would help with that. The velocity bump might help help too.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23156
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6119
x 4534

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 am

Bertz wrote:I think the rosey outcome for Chatwood is that he's a good reliever. While I am certainly not saying it's the most likely outcome, you don't have to squint too hard to see 2017 Wade Davis. In relief Chatwood would presumably drop the sinker and the change, and go fastball/cutter/curve, just like Davis. Wade also had similar issues throwing strikes. He threw 43.4%of his pitches in the zone in 2017, Chatwood was at 43.3% last year.

The problem with Chatwood last year is that he would lose the zone for like 10-12 pitches at a time. So while the percentages are similar I think Chatwood might be more prone to meltdown. That being said maybe focusing on only 2-3 pitches would help with that. The velocity bump might help help too.

In theory he has the stuff to be a good reliever (it should even play up) but like you said the control is such a huge deal to trust a reliever with and idk if they’d be willing to give him the time and opportunity to do it. Maybe he’d agree to go to Iowa our of ST (is that allowed?) to work on converting to a RP and focuse on 2-3 pitches.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55800
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 439
x 6056

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 pm

I wouldn't think opportunity would be a big problem. He's gonna make the roster, and if nothing else Joe has the sliding scale of relievers he trusts late in games. To start I imagine he'd be soaking up innings in long relief, and if he's effective he'd move up the chain, like we've seen several folks do in the last couple years(2018 Wilson, for example).
0 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 783
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 5
x 128

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby champaignchris » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:04 pm

I think the rosiest outcome for Chatwood would be pitching relatively effectively for a month of Spring training such that he’s a reasonable trade target for a team that loses a starting pitcher for the year in March.
3 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34163
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 840
x 5686

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Nick Markakis turned his best season in a decade into a whopping $6 million. brinks truck gif
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 78216
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10400
x 13366

Re: 2018-19 Other Team Offseason Transactions Not Worth a New Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Chatwood could turn into a non-trashbag human being version of Chapman and he'll still be one of the main reasons the Ricketts are cowards and denied us Harper or Machado. I hope he flunks out of baseball.
0 x
► Show Spoiler


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champaignchris and 4 guests