2018-19 Offseason Rumors

Bertz
Starter

Re: 2018-19 Offseason Rumors

Postby Bertz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:44 am

Cubswin11 wrote:horsefeathering Hendry/Tribune era offseason moves. Miss on Bryce and sign some washed up guy like Tulo

Tulo costs the league minimum and lets us fire Russell into the sun. He would be a phenomenal signing.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:47 am

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:horsefeathering Hendry/Tribune era offseason moves. Miss on Bryce and sign some washed up guy like Tulo

Tulo costs the league minimum and lets us fire Russell into the sun. He would be a phenomenal signing.

Other than being able to get rid of Russell there’s nothing good about this move. Tulo is washed up, but I guess he’s a name who use to be good so will get fans excited when we don’t spend on Bryce or anyone else good.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:50 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Other than being able to get rid of Russell there’s nothing good about this move. Tulo is washed up, but I guess he’s a name who use to be good so will get fans excited when we don’t spend on Bryce or anyone else good.

Jeez, cynical much?

The main reason to sign Tulo is that it costs you nothing except at 40-man roster spot and the league minimum salary if kept. He's had a lot of time off to heal. He used to be really good defensively at SS, and you get to evaluate him during spring training to see what he has left. If he does turn out to be completely washed up, you cut him and it costs you nothing.

If he shows he can still play SS effectively then he can likely play 3B and 2B as well, and you've got a veteran back-up infielder at the league minimum (Steamer has him projected for 1.3 fWAR with limited playing time). What if he shows he can still play decent defense in the spring and Bote or someone like that gets injured, you've at least got an option to evaluate for no cost. It's a very minor move that allows you to cover your bases (heh, literally).

It's likely that Tulo is washed up. I'd much prefer the Cubs sign Descalso so long as the price is right, and I'd much rather retain and rehabilitate Russell. But since it costs you nothing to find out what he's got left, and you've got a possible need for a back up SS, why not find out? It sure as hell won't be to cynically get fans excited...
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:19 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Other than being able to get rid of cancer, there is nothing good about chemotherapy.

Tulo still projects as an above average player. Bring him to camp, hope that a Zobrist type workload keeps him vaguely healthy, and if it fails go grab a more typical backup SS like Adeiny Hechavarria in June. There's literally no downside here.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 am

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Other than being able to get rid of cancer, there is nothing good about chemotherapy.

Tulo still projects as an above average player. Bring him to camp, hope that a Zobrist type workload keeps him vaguely healthy, and if it fails go grab a more typical backup SS like Adeiny Hechavarria in June. There's literally no downside here.

You and other Cubswin aren’t wrong and I’m being reactionary. I’m just upset it seems more likely we aren’t getting Bryce and horsefeathering Tulo, Descalso and a underwhelming RP (Soria) and maybe a backup C will be all we do because we are poor. Even though those moves keep as us as good as or better than the 95 win team we were last year, in all likelihood.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:53 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Other than being able to get rid of Russell there’s nothing good about this move. Tulo is washed up, but I guess he’s a name who use to be good so will get fans excited when we don’t spend on Bryce or anyone else good.

You and other Cubswin aren’t wrong and I’m being reactionary. I’m just upset it seems more likely we aren’t getting Bryce and horsefeathering Tulo, Descalso and a underwhelming RP (Soria) and maybe a backup C will be all we do because we are poor. Even though those moves keep as us as good as or better than the 95 win team we were last year, in all likelihood.

LOL, I feel you, 11.
1 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:49 am

Tulo any day over Descalso. Let the cheating cardinals have D.D.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 pm

0 x
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:50 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/padres-blue-jays-discussing-marcus-stroman-deal.html

Boooooooo

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/mstrooo6/status/1076604313076678658?s=21

Good, stay away from those trust fund hippie stoners in SD. The Padres are still waiting on a lineup to develop anyway, no guarantees of success there
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:48 am

Must be nice to be able to have all these decisions and ability to make moves to improve an already good team.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:02 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Must be nice to be able to have all these decisions and ability to make moves to improve an already good team.

i wouldn't rather be a dodgers fan until they win a world series again. right now we've still got it better imo. they're basically in "none of this means anything until we actually win a championship" mode, no matter how good things go during the regular season. things are not all roses over there.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:03 am

Just read on MLB.com that Corey Seager had both TJ AND hip surgery earlier this year. Plus the Dodgers just traded their two most productive RHHs from last year, are likely to lose an underrated stud in Grandal, have maybe more questions about pitching than the Cubs...

By the time February rolls around I honestly might have an easier time pretending to be worried about the 2019 Mets than I do the 2019 Doyers. horsefeathers, I might be there now.

It really seems to me the NL is leaving the door wide open for the Cubs to go ahead and dominate for a couple years
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:10 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Must be nice to be able to have all these decisions and ability to make moves to improve an already good team.

i wouldn't rather be a dodgers fan until they win a world series again. right now we've still got it better imo. they're basically in "none of this means anything until we actually win a championship" mode, no matter how good things go during the regular season. things are not all roses over there.

Oh, definitely agree. I'm not saying I'd swap out with them at all, especially with the WS banked (and even moving forward we are on an even footing at worst). It's just frustrating, at the moment, to see them on the verge of the FU offseason we were hoping we would have. I still trust Theo and hold out hope we figure Harper out. But man it really sucks right now from the outside looking in that our biggest competitor is about to make big moves when we are handcuffed and at best making moves on the margins (which I feel like our FO sees the Dodgers are the team to truly worry about in terms of measuring things against and projecting, they aren't worried about Central teams as we are going to be projected better than anyone else int he division no matter what).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am

Cubswin11 wrote:(which I feel like our FO sees the Dodgers are the team to truly worry about in terms of measuring things against and projecting, they aren't worried about Central teams as we are going to be projected better than anyone else int he division no matter what).

I hope they worry about the central, considering how, in the last 4 years, we've only one it easily once, with great difficulty once, and ended up WC teams the other two times. The NL Central is probably going to be a grind again, and your division always needs to be the #1 consideration. After that, the playoffs are a crapshoot.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:38 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Just read on MLB.com that Corey Seager had both TJ AND hip surgery earlier this year. Plus the Dodgers just traded their two most productive RHHs from last year, are likely to lose an underrated stud in Grandal, have maybe more questions about pitching than the Cubs...

By the time February rolls around I honestly might have an easier time pretending to be worried about the 2019 Mets than I do the 2019 Doyers. horsefeathers, I might be there now.

It really seems to me the NL is leaving the door wide open for the Cubs to go ahead and dominate for a couple years

The door certainly would be wide open for the Cubs if they were having a "normal" offseason. I guess we'll have to wait and see what other moves are made by the Cubs and other teams before really knowing what to expect for 2019.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:43 pm

I have a really bad habit. Justin Turner is the Dodgers’ best RHH. Still, the overarching point that they’re LHH heavy stands and along with their stated LT goals is more than enough for me to believe Harper is not happening.

Fingers crossed for the Angels and Keuchel. They’re basically perfect fits so just do it. They should also sign Grandal.

If/Since the Cubs probably are not trading for Realmuto, boo, I would offer less significant but known prospexts like DJ Wilson, Clifton, and/or Underwood at the Mets for d’Arnaud. d’Arnaud upgrades the pitch framing and, if kept healthy, has enough offensive upside to really offer both real competition and rest for Contreras as the year moves on. Zunino would have been mostly perfect for this, but d’Arnaud offers the advantage of just being able to quietly slide into the backup role early without controversy. I believe he has a shot to be a late blooming starter akin to Aaron Hicks, another former top prospect turned reclamation I wanted, while offer the base of being higher quality depth.

Kimbrel’s ask has dropped to where the Cubs should be interested. Not that they shouldn’t have been before, just they should definitely be interested now. If the Cubs are finally looking to dominate, he fits. They should be looking to dominate, 103 wins (and one ring) three years ago should not be the peak.

Archie Bradley?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:50 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/mstrooo6/status/1076604313076678658?s=21

Good, stay away from those trust fund hippie stoners in SD.

You must have never been to San Diego.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:20 pm

This guy seems worth someone throwing a MiL deal at, pretty solid endorsement at least:

Considering the Cubs’ supposed restraints and wants, he seems like a fit for the org. If anyone wonders about the value of tunneling see the careers of Hendricks and Lester among current Cubs pitchers

PS: Don’t look at his MiL stats, they suck
0 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:29 pm

he can tunnel and has great spin rates. if he has good exit velocity he could be shohei otani
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he can tunnel and has great spin rates. if he has good exit velocity he could be shohei otani

But is he enough of a terrible person for the FO to be interested in the first place? Gotta have the whole package to really get the Theo Treatment.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Hunter
Starter

Postby Hunter » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Have we fallen so far that not only look to twitter for trade rumors, but now we are looking to twitter for players to sign? :lol:
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:he can tunnel and has great spin rates. if he has good exit velocity he could be shohei otani

But is he enough of a terrible person for the FO to be interested in the first place? Gotta have the whole package to really get the Theo Treatment.

He said he wants to make money to help those less fortunate than him so he's just white noise to the FO
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:48 pm

The White Sox signed Jon Jay or might sign him, didn’t even pay that much attention, and apparently he too has “close personal ties” to Machado. I’m sure Machado’s dying to play with bench OFer Jon Jay and his...I think Alonso was his brother-in-law? Real unbreakable bonds there, nothing more rare than the love between a young superstar and his brother in law. The Yankees haven’t even made a formal offer plus may not go over $200 million.

I’m fascinated by the absuridty of this offseason’s rumor mill. I honestly don’t believe anyone’s even trying that hard to come up with a straight or competent narrative.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I honestly don’t believe anyone’s even trying that hard to come up with a straight or competent narrative.

Besides the very obvious, "management sucks?"
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Transactions”