Brewers sign Grandal

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2751
x 4200
Contact:

Brewers sign Grandal

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:13 am



Grandal’s elite framing + amazing shifting coach = uh oh
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5828
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 397
x 487

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 am

Stole another excellent player, love the level of competitiveness the NL Central has reached so suddenly
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 805
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 319
x 427

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Bertz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:34 am

This is bad. Assuming this is instead of a big time SP and not in addition to one, it's roughly to be expected though. They'll also either re-sign Moustakas or grab a 2b as well.

I'm really curious to see how Grandal does outside of LA though. BP basically had him as an MVP candidate when you include framing numbers, and I wonder if that will actually travel.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23020
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6004
x 4463

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 am

Good move for them. With his elite framing and their devil magic he improves them a ton since C was so weak for them last year. I would assume this is their one big spend, they will be at $120 mil with this move which has historically been as high as they go when they are competitive from the late 00’s/early 10’s.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6947
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 793

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Good move for them. With his elite framing and their devil magic he improves them a ton since C was so weak for them last year. I would assume this is their one big spend, they will be at $120 mil with this move which has historically been as high as they go when they are competitive from the late 00’s/early 10’s.


This is, for sure, by far the most money they have ever started a season at.

I suppose it's possible they could add a MadBum for $12 million, but that might be stretching it. They might be in a total go for it mode, though.
1 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5828
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 397
x 487

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 am



Disney’s ESPN headline is that the Brewers have stretched their budget to sign him. How do they know these things? Are teams giving our co-overlords inside info on their budgets or is this enabling nonsense based on assumptions? A booooooo
2 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77864
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10106
x 13119

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Good move for them. With his elite framing and their devil magic he improves them a ton since C was so weak for them last year. I would assume this is their one big spend, they will be at $120 mil with this move which has historically been as high as they go when they are competitive from the late 00’s/early 10’s.


This is, for sure, by far the most money they have ever started a season at.

I suppose it's possible they could add a MadBum for $12 million, but that might be stretching it. They might be in a total go for it mode, though.


I can't tell if this means if they have the vaunted payroll or if the Cubs do.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77219
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2751
x 4200
Contact:

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Just trying to put a positive spin...if you look at Steamer projections, the Cubs still come out quite a bit better.

Top 7 position players projected WAR:
Cubs - 22.7
Cardinals - 21.6
Brewers - 18.8

Top 6 pitchers projected WAR:
Cubs - 12.9
Cardinals - 11.5
Brewers - 7.1

Of course the Brewers way outperformed this last year so who knows.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33991
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1768
x 1752

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Defending Central Division Champion Brewers, you mean
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77864
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10106
x 13119

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Top 6 pitchers projected WAR:
Cubs - 12.9


Now that is truly fantasy sports.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66557
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5242
x 5146

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:24 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Defending Central Division Champion Brewers, you mean


Image
2 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55751
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 434
x 5975

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:26 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Just trying to put a positive spin...if you look at Steamer projections, the Cubs still come out quite a bit better.

Top 7 position players projected WAR:
Cubs - 22.7
Cardinals - 21.6
Brewers - 18.8

Top 6 pitchers projected WAR:
Cubs - 12.9
Cardinals - 11.5
Brewers - 7.1

Of course the Brewers way outperformed this last year so who knows.


It is important to remember that the Cubs do still have the best roster in the division. It'd just be real nice if they pushed it back above the typical margin for error in those projections instead of doing nothing.
3 x

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11758
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 567
x 1005

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby sneakypower » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 am

Stearns is horsefeathering good
0 x

User avatar
HawkeTrackler
Role Player
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 pm
x 90
x 38

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby HawkeTrackler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:21 pm

The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted
0 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66557
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5242
x 5146

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted


How many accounts does Kyle have?
4 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23020
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6004
x 4463

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:04 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted

Which one of their SP’s that’s not coming off shoulder surgery and projected for under 1.5 WAR is your favorite?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22750
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 792
x 1453

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:56 pm

horsefeathers the brewers but also horsefeathers duke

just kidding duke
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 34075
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 812
x 5554

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm

RIP duke

Image
3 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66557
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 5242
x 5146

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

Chocolate Milk got better...so could Duke.
2 x
Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22750
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 792
x 1453

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:24 pm

he is definitely reading this. he'll be back
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33991
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1768
x 1752

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:29 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
HawkeTrackler wrote:The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted

Which one of their SP’s that’s not coming off shoulder surgery and projected for under 1.5 WAR is your favorite?


Whichever one kicked our ass into the play-in game
1 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22750
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 792
x 1453

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
HawkeTrackler wrote:The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted

Which one of their SP’s that’s not coming off shoulder surgery and projected for under 1.5 WAR is your favorite?


Whichever one kicked our ass into the play-in game


remember when theo admitted that the offense flat out broke, and we actually thought that meant changes/additions and not just a new hitting coach
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23020
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 6004
x 4463

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 pm

17 Seconds wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Which one of their SP’s that’s not coming off shoulder surgery and projected for under 1.5 WAR is your favorite?


Whichever one kicked our ass into the play-in game


remember when theo admitted that the offense flat out broke, and we actually thought that meant changes/additions and not just a new hitting coach

Speaking of, saw this tweet today. Kinda fits here in response I guess. It’s interesting, at the least.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77864
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 10106
x 13119

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 pm

imb, make sure to note to use launch angle instead of spin rate this time next year.
6 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist
Posts: 32672
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2316
x 5988
Contact:

Re: Brewers sign Grandal

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
HawkeTrackler wrote:The VB's are beginning to become unironically vaunted

Which one of their SP’s that’s not coming off shoulder surgery and projected for under 1.5 WAR is your favorite?


fuggen GOT EMMMMM suck it stearns
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hairyducked Idiot, JudasIscariotTheBird and 7 guests