Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 80091
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3249
x 5163
Contact:

Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:21 pm



Trout to Cubs bandwgn ends before it starts
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50082
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 768
x 2006

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:23 pm

We’re saving the Trout money for Eloy Jimenez
8 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Old Style
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9896
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: Bedford, TX
x 5741
x 679

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Old Style » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Honestly a good deal for the Angels.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1450
x 1666

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 pm

Any word on potential opt outs?
0 x

User avatar
Deeg
All-Star
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Kagurazaka, Japan
x 44
x 118

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Deeg » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:44 pm

Funnily enough, that’s a totally club-friendly deal. He’s worth more.
3 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1939
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 757
x 1102

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Bertz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 pm

squally1313 wrote:Any word on potential opt outs?


Sounds like none.

Good deal for Trout. He probably could have hit $500m if he stayed MIKE TROUT for two more years, but the fact is that's a really long time and when you're as good as he is there's really only downside risk.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1450
x 1666

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Bertz wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Any word on potential opt outs?


Sounds like none.

Good deal for Trout. He probably could have hit $500m if he stayed MIKE TROUT for two more years, but the fact is that's a really long time and when you're as good as he is there's really only downside risk.


Image
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61700
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3282
x 11492

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:56 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Any word on potential opt outs?


Sounds like none.

Good deal for Trout. He probably could have hit $500m if he stayed MIKE TROUT for two more years, but the fact is that's a really long time and when you're as good as he is there's really only downside risk.


Image


A record contract signed 2 years before free agency. 12 guaranteed years. It's not that weird that the team wouldn't want to give an opt out at those levels and there would be little pressure to do so with no other suitors for the next couple years.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61700
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3282
x 11492

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:58 pm

then again, at this point in the reporting, there's plenty of room for error
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Liam Neeson
All-Star
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 11:21 pm
x 243
x 809

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Liam Neeson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Did California change that 7 year contract opt out law?
0 x
Image

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8471
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 737
x 815

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Steal
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38624
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1572

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby soccer10k » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:14 pm

It’s pretry hilarious that Harper held out for so long just so he could get the largest contract and Trout comes along and wipes it out 3 weeks later.

I do wish Trout would have never signed his first extension just so we could have seen the contract a 26 year old Trout got in free agency.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 848
x 518

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:23 pm

In my mind Bryce only picked Philly because he misunderstood Trout somehow when they were talking about his free agency and now he's VERY pissed off this morning.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1450
x 1666

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Sounds like none.

Good deal for Trout. He probably could have hit $500m if he stayed MIKE TROUT for two more years, but the fact is that's a really long time and when you're as good as he is there's really only downside risk.


Image


A record contract signed 2 years before free agency. 12 guaranteed years. It's not that weird that the team wouldn't want to give an opt out at those levels and there would be little pressure to do so with no other suitors for the next couple years.


It's just weird from Trout's side. He was obviously willing to give up a potential bigger pay day in free agency in a couple years by locking in this amount now. How much more money would he have had to give up to throw in a year 4 or 5 opt out? Wouldn't that be worth something to him to hedge against the risk of four more 75 win seasons?
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61700
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3282
x 11492

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:43 pm

squally1313 wrote:It's just weird from Trout's side. He was obviously willing to give up a potential bigger pay day in free agency in a couple years by locking in this amount now. How much more money would he have had to give up to throw in a year 4 or 5 opt out? Wouldn't that be worth something to him to hedge against the risk of four more 75 win seasons?

I said this with the Harper situation and it applies here, it's become clearer and clearer that a lot of these guys do not like the free agency process. They do not like the constant questions about where they will be going.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 12051
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 734
x 1333

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby sneakypower » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm

oh well, there are other fish in the sea
1 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61700
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3282
x 11492

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:51 pm

sneakypower wrote:oh well, there are other fish in the sea

there are no trouts in the sea
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4364
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1450
x 1666

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:It's just weird from Trout's side. He was obviously willing to give up a potential bigger pay day in free agency in a couple years by locking in this amount now. How much more money would he have had to give up to throw in a year 4 or 5 opt out? Wouldn't that be worth something to him to hedge against the risk of four more 75 win seasons?

I said this with the Harper situation and it applies here, it's become clearer and clearer that a lot of these guys do not like the free agency process. They do not like the constant questions about where they will be going.

I see where you're going, and obviously there are two very big data points that show that. I just don't see why it would be so hard to like...be in your opt out year and make a statement on April 1 saying you won't answer any questions about it the whole year, and then come the end of the year tell teams you are going to be signing the best offer (whatever that means for you) by 12/1.

I know Harper not wanting opt outs was seen as a sign he hated the free agency process, but he holds a lot of responsibility for the fact that it dragged into March.
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15727
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6868
x 2318

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby The Logan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm

Rizzo said recently that while, of course, he wishes he could sign a big contract, he still signed a deal early on that set him and his family up for life. That was a $41 million contract. $41 million set him up for life.

Mike Trout just signed a $430 million contract after having earned $73 million over the last 4 years. Mike Trout will have made $500 million on his salary alone before this extension is over and that's not counting all the endorsement deals he has/will continue to get.

I think Mike Trout is okay with forgoing a bit more money.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 83849
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14625
x 17047

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Oh yeah? PTR just co-signed a third mortgage with Mike Carp.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 61700
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3282
x 11492

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:57 pm

squally1313 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:It's just weird from Trout's side. He was obviously willing to give up a potential bigger pay day in free agency in a couple years by locking in this amount now. How much more money would he have had to give up to throw in a year 4 or 5 opt out? Wouldn't that be worth something to him to hedge against the risk of four more 75 win seasons?

I said this with the Harper situation and it applies here, it's become clearer and clearer that a lot of these guys do not like the free agency process. They do not like the constant questions about where they will be going.

I see where you're going, and obviously there are two very big data points that show that. I just don't see why it would be so hard to like...be in your opt out year and make a statement on April 1 saying you won't answer any questions about it the whole year, and then come the end of the year tell teams you are going to be signing the best offer (whatever that means for you) by 12/1.


A) That's free agency and I just said there's a lot of reason to believe these guys don't like it.
B) Making a statement that you won't talk about stuff does not put to bed questions and discussions about what you will do about your contract.
C) Putting an arbitrary end date to your free agency is bad tactics.

I know Harper not wanting opt outs was seen as a sign he hated the free agency process, but he holds a lot of responsibility for the fact that it dragged into March.


He was lowballed early by the Nationals and the biggest teams in the sport coincidentally decided not to make any legit offers.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35040
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2281
x 2638

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm

He probably didn't demand an opt-out because he got $430m.
6 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 29499
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 43
x 5461
Contact:

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Brian » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:02 pm

0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35040
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2281
x 2638

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Brian wrote:


I still think he made up his mind he wouldn't extend back during the service time gaming. He seems like the type to hold that grudge.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27032
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8480
x 5841

Re: Trout signs massive extension (12/$430)

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Brian wrote:


I still think he made up his mind he wouldn't extend back during the service time gaming. He seems like the type to hold that grudge.

We'll see. I bet they've only offered him roughly the Rizzo extension x~20%. Unless he's really holding a grudge and back to his normal self this year I'd be he's getting the 7-8 year ~$25 AAV extension offer over next offseason and that will be tough to turn down for him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: squally1313 and 2 guests