Trade targets 2019

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Don't the Rangers and Willie Calhoun have a funny relationship that might make him attainable at a bargain?

Calhoun was optioned again today, but his MiL numbers suggest a guy who might hit like Schwarber was hoped to minus some walks. He's at .298/.361/.510 with an 11% K rate in 1159 AAA PAs going back to his age 22 season, including .302/.417/.540 with a 14% K rate this year. He's 24 all season. He an underrated athlete and possibly baserunner thanks to good instincts, does things like score on a sac fly from 2B in ML games, especially after rebuilding his 5'8" frame and coming in as a Best Shape of His Life guy this spring. He is not a good defensive OF, LF only and probably will never be particularly good at it, but he's also new at it (former 2B/IF) and could be tolerable or better with a little work maybe
1 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 am

I wonder if the Marlins would deal Garrett Cooper. I was intrigued in May but I figured he would cool off. Hes done the opposite.

May wRC+ 112
June 165
July 181

Hes 28 with just 1 year of service time. Looks to be playable in COF. Not looking like a platoon guy either.

The fact that his breakout has happened so late into his career I would think they might consider selling high on him.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:48 pm

I think this is where I'm at now:

Schwarber to San Fran for Pillar and Watson
Almora to Iowa until 9/1
Castellanos for prospects
Happ replacing Descalso on the roster

- Pillar is what Almora is supposed to be: a strong defensive CF who can hit lefties. He takes Almora's spot while Almora get his horsefeathers together in Iowa
- Watson fills an obvious need
- Castellanos is a modest upgrade over Schwarber. I've also noticed his current HR/FB is under 10%. That's ridiculous for a guy as strong as him in this environment, so he's a candidate to ride the wave of positive regression and go HAM the next few months
- Happ forms the strong half of a platoon with Pillar. The lineup also could use his lefty thump with Schwarber leaving. We also need to see if his work in Iowa has made him a guy we can feel comfortable handing LF to for 2020

Nothing wild and crazy, but I think it does a good job smoothing out some of the rough edges on the roster while keeping the powder dry to have an active winter if needed.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Schwarber, Russell, Happ, + Chatwood + 1 Iowa Shuttle pitcher for Soler, Diekman, + Kennedy.

KC needs 2B, CF, and DH (after trading Soler). Chatwood + Iowa pitcher can vie for rotation spots.

Cubs get bullpen help and replacement for Schwarber. Money is fairly neutral making PTR happy.
0 x

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Schwarber, Russell, Happ, + Chatwood + 1 Iowa Shuttle pitcher for Soler, Diekman, + Kennedy.

KC needs 2B, CF, and DH (after trading Soler). Chatwood + Iowa pitcher can vie for rotation spots.

Cubs get bullpen help and replacement for Schwarber. Money is fairly neutral making PTR happy.

I’ll assume that by Soler you meant Merrifield.
0 x
We won the World Series.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:36 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I wonder if the Marlins would deal Garrett Cooper. I was intrigued in May but I figured he would cool off. Hes done the opposite.

May wRC+ 112
June 165
July 181

Hes 28 with just 1 year of service time. Looks to be playable in COF. Not looking like a platoon guy either.

The fact that his breakout has happened so late into his career I would think they might consider selling high on him.

If we’re going after a Marlin I’d go after Anderson. I’d be willing to pay a decent amount too.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:37 pm

hypothetically trading Schwarber for Soler is a master class in uselessness and separation from reality
15 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:24 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I wonder if the Marlins would deal Garrett Cooper. I was intrigued in May but I figured he would cool off. Hes done the opposite.

May wRC+ 112
June 165
July 181

If we’re going after a Marlin I’d go after Anderson. I’d be willing to pay a decent amount too.
334 xwoba
Cooper is 374

I think Anderson would be more coveted also due to lack of track record for Cooper.
0 x

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Bertz wrote:I think this is where I'm at now:

Schwarber to San Fran for Pillar and Watson
Almora to Iowa until 9/1
Castellanos for prospects
Happ replacing Descalso on the roster

- Pillar is what Almora is supposed to be: a strong defensive CF who can hit lefties. He takes Almora's spot while Almora get his horsefeathers together in Iowa
- Watson fills an obvious need
- Castellanos is a modest upgrade over Schwarber. I've also noticed his current HR/FB is under 10%. That's ridiculous for a guy as strong as him in this environment, so he's a candidate to ride the wave of positive regression and go HAM the next few months
- Happ forms the strong half of a platoon with Pillar. The lineup also could use his lefty thump with Schwarber leaving. We also need to see if his work in Iowa has made him a guy we can feel comfortable handing LF to for 2020

Nothing wild and crazy, but I think it does a good job smoothing out some of the rough edges on the roster while keeping the powder dry to have an active winter if needed.
i know it wasnt a complete sell, but I think the Giants may be more interested in adding at this point. I do kind of like the Pillar idea though
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:Schwarber, Russell, Happ, + Chatwood + 1 Iowa Shuttle pitcher for Soler, Diekman, + Kennedy.

There's no way to get Merrifield unless you're adding 2-3 of our top prospects to that package.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:06 am

Backtobanks wrote:

There's no way to get Merrifield unless you're adding 2-3 of our top prospects to that package.

2 weeks ago

Backtobanks wrote:Happ + Russell + Montgomery + Chatwood for Merrifield + Kennedy.

KC saves money and gets 4 younger players to play immediately, while Cubs get 2B/leadoff hitter and dependable relief pitcher.
8 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:22 am

Schwarber isn't perfect but it would be counter productive to trade him for this year and the next when he will still make a reasonable amount.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

May wRC+ 112
June 165
July 181

334 xwoba
Cooper is 374

I think Anderson would be more coveted also due to lack of track record for Cooper.

Yeah I get Cooper is doing better but I’m just an Anderson fan and think he’d fit the team decently. He’s still young enough there’s potentially another level, he’s a plus (or at least neutral) defender in the OF and 3B and would give roster flexibility now and in the future and could be somewhat of a hedge for KB leaving at some point. Plus like a lot of their guys who have left recently he’d likely get the offensive boost leaving Marlins Park.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:32 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:If we’re going after a Marlin I’d go after Anderson. I’d be willing to pay a decent amount too.
334 xwoba
Cooper is 374

Yeah I get Cooper is doing better but I’m just an Anderson fan and think he’d fit the team decently. He’s still young enough there’s potentially another level, he’s a plus (or at least neutral) defender in the OF and 3B and would give roster flexibility now and in the future and could be somewhat of a hedge for KB leaving at some point. Plus like a lot of their guys who have left recently he’d likely get the offensive boost leaving Marlins Park.

It's not as bad as I first thought after looking at the numbers, but the idea of 'hedging against KB leaving' with someone who's first name I didn't even know until now is just profoundly depressing.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:12 am

Do it

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 am

Dooo it dooooo it, would love to get that kind of move out of the way with some time and room to do more
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:51 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:22 am

Castellanos was taken out of the game in the 8th tonight, they were down like 13 so maybe just being safe. But worth monitoring.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:43 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Dooo it dooooo it, would love to get that kind of move out of the way with some time and room to do more

If it is Lange, what else would it cost for a rental like Castellanos?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:01 am

d_money wrote:If it is Lange, what else would it cost for a rental like Castellanos?

:shrugs: I can't imagine much to rent a corner bat. Maybe a couple DSL/AZLers? Zagunis or Short or Giambrone? Maybe someone from the Miller/Abbott/Richan/Thompson/Assad pool? Nothing but Lange would be sweet if this happens
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:11 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
d_money wrote:If it is Lange, what else would it cost for a rental like Castellanos?

:shrugs: I can't imagine much to rent a corner bat. Maybe a couple DSL/AZLers? Zagunis or Short or Giambrone? Maybe someone from the Miller/Abbott/Richan/Thompson/Assad pool? Nothing but Lange would be sweet if this happens

He’s going to cost more than he should given the lack of sellers, wouldn’t be surprised if he costs Ademan, Lange and another decent prospect like Miller
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:15 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

He’s going to cost more than he should given the lack of sellers, wouldn’t be surprised if he costs Ademan, Lange and another decent prospect like Miller

Yeah, that sounds right. It also doesn't seem like Castellanos has much/any competition for best clearly available bat either
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:18 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Damn. For a 2.5 month rental, that’s pretty steep. Let’s hope it’s just Lange. The others can be used for a lefty bullpen arm.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 am

d_money wrote:Damn. For a 2.5 month rental, that’s pretty steep. Let’s hope it’s just Lange. The others can be used for a lefty bullpen arm.

Tbf, Miller's just meat for rebuilding/tanking teams. Not a prospect I think we should stress about losing...Ademan and Lange have some real upside potential to develop but they hardly generate confidence. That said, I wouldn't mind if Ademan were code for "bat/s" and the Tigers are picking among guys like Roederer, Pedro Martinez, Fabian Pertuz, but that might be wishful thinking
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:57 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

2 weeks ago

Backtobanks wrote:Happ + Russell + Montgomery + Chatwood for Merrifield + Kennedy.

KC saves money and gets 4 younger players to play immediately, while Cubs get 2B/leadoff hitter and dependable relief pitcher.

LOL.

Maybe he meant that they had to be top Cubs prospects at some point in time, so Russell and Happ qualify?
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Transactions”