Trade targets 2019

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

soccer10k wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

There's no way to get Merrifield unless you're adding 2-3 of our top prospects to that package.

2 weeks ago

Backtobanks wrote:Happ + Russell + Montgomery + Chatwood for Merrifield + Kennedy.

KC saves money and gets 4 younger players to play immediately, while Cubs get 2B/leadoff hitter and dependable relief pitcher.

LOL.

Maybe he meant that they had to be top Cubs prospects at some point in time, so Russell and Happ qualify?

The trade proposal was:

Little Slide Rooter wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Schwarber, Russell, Happ, + Chatwood + 1 Iowa Shuttle pitcher for Soler, Diekman, + Kennedy.

KC needs 2B, CF, and DH (after trading Soler). Chatwood + Iowa pitcher can vie for rotation spots.

Cubs get bullpen help and replacement for Schwarber. Money is fairly neutral making PTR happy.

I’ll assume that by Soler you meant Merrifield.

There's no way to get Merrifield unless you're adding 2-3 of our top prospects to that package.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Since the Giants are apparently never going to lose again, Pillar and the relievers might be coming off the table.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:44 pm

champaignchris wrote:Since the Giants are apparently never going to lose again, Pillar and the relievers might be coming off the table.

I don't get all the interest in Pillar. 30 yrs. old with a career slash of .260/.295/.400/.695 making about $6 million. Almora is making next to nothing is 25 yrs.old and has career numbers of .278/.316/.407/.723. If we're looking to upgrade offensively, we need to find somebody with better numbers.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Since the Giants are apparently never going to lose again, Pillar and the relievers might be coming off the table.

I don't get all the interest in Pillar. 30 yrs. old with a career slash of .260/.295/.400/.695 making about $6 million. Almora is making next to nothing is 25 yrs.old and has career numbers of .278/.316/.407/.723. If we're looking to upgrade offensively, we need to find somebody with better numbers.

It's much less about Pillar and much more about it looking like Almora is broken. The one thing that we used to be able to count on Almora for, hitting lefties, he stopped being able to do in the second half of last year. Pillar, while a very limited player, can still do that, and is a comparable defender.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:06 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

Pillar can hit left handers. Almora can’t. At least not this year where he’s putting up a massive reverse split.

The whole point of acquiring Pillar or Leury Garcia would be so that Maddon can make a lineup with a centerfielder that has some sort of chance against a left hander.
0 x

HawkeTrackler
Role Player

Postby HawkeTrackler » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:56 pm

What do you think it would take to get MadBum?
0 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:What do you think it would take to get MadBum?

Yu Darvish two years ago is probably the best recent comp for Bumgarner, and the Dodgers had to give up a top 100 prospect close to MLB ready in Willie Calhoun and 2 other guys in their top 30 down in A ball

So if we're using the same template it'd something like Nico Hoerner, Nelson Velasquez, and Cam Sanders.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm

Any chance the Stros part with Marisnick?
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Any chance the Stros part with Marisnick?

Don't want that scum bag on my team.
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Tryptamine wrote:

Oh is he a terrible person?
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:30 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Well, in my opinion at least, he completely intentionally trucked Lucroy giving him a broken nose and a concussion.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:33 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Well, in my opinion at least, he completely intentionally trucked Lucroy giving him a broken nose and a concussion.

Oh yeah, I forgot that was him. Never mind, then.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:59 am

I want Puig

He's scorching hot right now leading the NL in wRC+ over the last 30 days (coming into today KB and Heyward were tied for 2nd!). Why not capitalize. He's not platoon dependent. He can play COF well. He should be a relatively cheap rental given his reputation.
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:45 am

champaignchris wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Pillar can hit left handers. Almora can’t. At least not this year where he’s putting up a massive reverse split.

The whole point of acquiring Pillar or Leury Garcia would be so that Maddon can make a lineup with a centerfielder that has some sort of chance against a left hander.

Almora isn't producing a massive reverse split anymore - he's just kind of generally sucking from both sides.

And..
Sahadev Sharma

@sahadevsharma
Following Following @sahadevsharma
More
Lowest wRC+ over the past calendar year, minimum 400 PAs:
1. Billy Hamilton (57)
2. Chris Davis (58)
3. Albert Almora (62)
4. Kyle Seager (67)
5. Joe Panik (68)
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:38 am

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I want Puig

He's scorching hot right now leading the NL in wRC+ over the last 30 days (coming into today KB and Heyward were tied for 2nd!). Why not capitalize. He's not platoon dependent. He can play COF well. He should be a relatively cheap rental given his reputation.

Get Castellanos or Puig on the cheap and then send Schwarber + Happ/Russell + Mills to WS for Garcia + Bummer/Colome.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Leury Garcia isn't good. wRC+ of 92, before this season he has had one year with a fWAR > 0 and that was 1.2. He's actually making less hard contact this year than last. I'd rather gamble on Happ then deal for Garcia.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Leury Garcia isn't good. wRC+ of 92, before this season he has had one year with a fWAR > 0 and that was 1.2. He's actually making less hard contact this year than last. I'd rather gamble on Happ then deal for Garcia.
Marte is the only desirable CF option available. That contract makes it hard to lose, although we've said that before in an acquisition.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Leury Garcia isn't good. wRC+ of 92, before this season he has had one year with a fWAR > 0 and that was 1.2. He's actually making less hard contact this year than last. I'd rather gamble on Happ then deal for Garcia.
Marte is the only desirable CF option available. That contract makes it hard to lose, although we've said that before in an acquisition.

Yeah, I doubt very much it would happen but Marte is ideal. With that said, I'm open to just throwing Happ out there and seeing if this swing change is legit.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Sounds like the Castellanos chatter is heating up. He makes some sense, but he seems like a great distillation of what I haven’t liked about most of the Cubs’ trades in recent years. Castellanos can hit, but he’s a DH/bad corner OF. If that profile is what you need, why not try to find someone who either doesn’t have Castellanos’ relative name value(and therefore would cost less), or someone who might be able to help in 2020+. Or better yet both. Domingo Santana, Renato Nunez, maybe even Wil Myers if you want to risk some money, that type of player.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Sounds like the Castellanos chatter is heating up. He makes some sense, but he seems like a great distillation of what I haven’t liked about most of the Cubs’ trades in recent years. Castellanos can hit, but he’s a DH/bad corner OF. If that profile is what you need, why not try to find someone who either doesn’t have Castellanos’ relative name value(and therefore would cost less), or someone who might be able to help in 2020+. Or better yet both. Domingo Santana, Renato Nunez, maybe even Wil Myers if you want to risk some money, that type of player.
Santana has the added bonus of knowing most of the arms in our division already. Switching leagues and learning all the new pitchers is something I usually like to take into account. Castellanos having to do that worries me a little. Maybe they dont want to be married to an awful defender beyond this year. Santana is under contract for 2 more seasons. Then again hes not impossible to move.

But it's hard not to get excited about adding a bat that has murdered LHP to the tune of a 446 woba with a paltry 11% K rate this year. If the price is low enough I say capitalize on that production. We are likely to face a lot of LHP in the playoffs.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:43 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Sounds like the Castellanos chatter is heating up. He makes some sense, but he seems like a great distillation of what I haven’t liked about most of the Cubs’ trades in recent years. Castellanos can hit, but he’s a DH/bad corner OF. If that profile is what you need, why not try to find someone who either doesn’t have Castellanos’ relative name value(and therefore would cost less), or someone who might be able to help in 2020+. Or better yet both. Domingo Santana, Renato Nunez, maybe even Wil Myers if you want to risk some money, that type of player.
Santana has the added bonus of knowing most of the arms in our division already. Switching leagues and learning all the new pitchers is something I usually like to take into account. Castellanos having to do that worries me a little. Maybe they dont want to be married to an awful defender beyond this year. Santana is under contract for 2 more seasons. Then again hes not impossible to move.

But it's hard not to get excited about adding a bat that has murdered LHP to the tune of a 446 woba with a paltry 11% K rate this year. If the price is low enough I say capitalize on that production. We are likely to face a lot of LHP in the playoffs.

I'm not too worried about that in this day. Every team has 20 games against the other league each year, there is a lot of movement of players, and now a ton of video to watch.

After all, Domingo Santana doesn't appear to have been impacted by it.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:50 pm

I'm not sure Santana would cost less than Castellanos because he's young and under control. Why not go all out and try for Mancini who's under control for 3 more years. The Orioles need everything so the package could start with Scwarber + Russell/Bote + Mills + a top prospect.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:58 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:

I'm not too worried about that in this day. Every team has 20 games against the other league each year, there is a lot of movement of players, and now a ton of video to watch.

After all, Domingo Santana doesn't appear to have been impacted by it.
I guess you could be right. I just always consider it. And Santana did have a full spring+ to assess the information and go to work. FWIW I think that's an advantage over Castellanos coming over mid-season.

If Castellanos can keep doing that against LHP then we just have to say horsefeathers it and ride out the defensive woes. That would be huge to our lineup. That would give us 3 of the top 7 RH lefty mashers in the game.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Backtobanks wrote:

I'm not sure Santana would cost less than Castellanos because he's young and under control. Why not go all out and try for Mancini who's under control for 3 more years. The Orioles need everything so the package could start with Scwarber + Russell/Bote + Mills + a top prospect.

are you a government operative sent to torment us
2 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:15 pm

I mean, I'd love to unload junk on Baltimore. Let's just offer Russell and some of our AAA arms for Givens and Villar and see what happens.

I don't get the intense love for Castellanos. He's an OK bat and a terrible fielder and he'd be a rental.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”