Trade targets 2019

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Derwood » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:17 pm

Baltimore is historically a pain in the ass to trade with, which accounts for their overall terribleness
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:I mean, I'd love to unload junk on Baltimore. Let's just offer Russell and some of our AAA arms for Givens and Villar and see what happens.

I don't get the intense love for Castellanos. He's an OK bat and a terrible fielder and he'd be a rental.

He mashes left handed pitching on a team that has struggled to hit lefties this year.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 pm

I just like him because he hits a lot of doubles and gets a good amount of XBHs.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Speaking of Baltimore....Anthony Santander would be interesting, maybe
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:I mean, I'd love to unload junk on Baltimore. Let's just offer Russell and some of our AAA arms for Givens and Villar and see what happens.

I don't get the intense love for Castellanos. He's an OK bat and a terrible fielder and he'd be a rental.

I don't see "intense love" for Castellanos. I see an acknowledgement that in a seller's market with very few options, he may be the best realistic one. If you're going to deal you do it with the assumption you have to at least try and beat the Dodgers in a 7-game series, as unlikely as that is. The Dodgers are loaded with lefty starters, we suck balls against LHP, and Castellanos has consistently killed LHP.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Deeg wrote:

I don't see "intense love" for Castellanos. I see an acknowledgement that in a seller's market with very few options, he may be the best realistic one. If you're going to deal you do it with the assumption you have to at least try and beat the Dodgers in a 7-game series, as unlikely as that is. The Dodgers are loaded with lefty starters, we suck balls against LHP, and Castellanos has consistently killed LHP.

I also think, although it hurts the defense for the first seven innings or so, replacing his bat with Almora's in the lineup is pretty big. A Schwarber-Heyward-Casellanos outfield might be scary on D, but I think it might be worth going for it.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:51 am

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Deeg wrote:

I also think, although it hurts the defense for the first seven innings or so, replacing his bat with Almora's in the lineup is pretty big. A Schwarber-Heyward-Casellanos outfield might be scary on D, but I think it might be worth going for it.
I dont think he would start against a lot of right handers either.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:05 am

NewUserName wrote:
Deeg wrote:

I disagree. Castellanos is far too good, and going to actually cost something to acquire, that there is little chance he'd sit that much. If they get him, he will play almost every day.
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:23 am

NewUserName wrote:

I disagree. Castellanos is far too good, and going to actually cost something to acquire, that there is little chance he'd sit that much. If they get him, he will play almost every day.

Honestly I’d be fine with that. The only guy whose ABs he would be stealing that matters might be Bote, and he’s been pretty bad the last two months. Castellanos isn’t great against righties but he’s still better than Russell or Almora.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 am

Derwood wrote:Baltimore is historically a pain in the ass to trade with, which accounts for their overall terribleness

they tried to trade me like 50 super common pogs for one of my best slammers
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:30 am

Yeah they're not going to bring in Castellanos to be the weak side of a corner outfield platoon. I would guess though that Schwarber's going to lose some playing time rather than Schwarber-Heyward-Castellanos becoming the everyday alignment against righties.

I'm also interested about the rumor that they're looking at Shane Greene as well. Is that in lieu of a second lefty?
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 am

Bertz wrote:Yeah they're not going to bring in Castellanos to be the weak side of a corner outfield platoon. I would guess though that Schwarber's going to lose some playing time rather than Schwarber-Heyward-Castellanos becoming the everyday alignment against righties.

I'm also interested about the rumor that they're looking at Shane Greene as well. Is that in lieu of a second lefty?

Castellanos has a .755 OPS vs RHP this year and its at .759 for his career. The whole draw in getting him is the level he owns LHP, the 2019 Cubs not hitting LHP and the Dodgers having a lot of LHP.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:58 am

Aaron Bummer is a would be a great pickup.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:54 pm

You’re not making a deal to hypothetically beat the Dodgers in a short series. That’s insane.

You make a deal to shore up a team so they can clinch the division. I’m not positive they’re making any deals either
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Jarrod Dyson's name is coming up in rumors this morning
0 x

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:23 pm

Well that would be completely pointless.
1 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm

muntjack wrote:Well that would be completely pointless.

Anything that gets Almora out of the lineup on a consistent basis is not pointless. Just imagine that first slow grounder to third base, and instead of Almora getting thrown out by three feet, Dyson is already five feet past it. That's what speed do.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Aaron Bummer is a would be a great pickup.

1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm

Jarrod Dyson is an interesting if unexciting option. I wonder if because the market lacks a do-everything option in CF (Unless you trust Mitch Haniger's testicles) the plan is to bring in pieces so that we can mix and match depending on the option. Maybe they are thinking something like this:

- Schwarber and stuff for Castellanos and Greene
- Stuff for Jarrod Dyson
- Lefty reliever

The OF against righties is Castellanos-Dyson-Heyward, and against lefties Bryant(with Bote at 3rd)-Almora-Castellanos. Late in games for defense you go Dyson-Almora-Heyward.

You'd love something a little cleaner, but the market is the market so you have to adjust
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Dyson is basically a LF hitting Almora (actually slightly worse statistically). A singularly unappealing option.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:41 pm

Deeg wrote:Dyson is basically a LF hitting Almora (actually slightly worse statistically). A singularly unappealing option.

For the last two months of the season, though, I'd rather have the speedy guy with a .335 OBP than the slow guy with a .275 OBP. Dyson also serves as the base stealer Theo often adds for the stretch run and if they make the playoffs.

Now, sure, if they have to actually give up something for him, forget about it. But I'd prefer Dyson over Almora the rest of the way.
0 x

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:18 pm

Deeg wrote:Dyson is basically a LF hitting Almora (actually slightly worse statistically). A singularly unappealing option.

For the last two months of the season, though, I'd rather have the speedy guy with a .335 OBP than the slow guy with a .275 OBP. Dyson also serves as the base stealer Theo often adds for the stretch run and if they make the playoffs.

Now, sure, if they have to actually give up something for him, forget about it. But I'd prefer Dyson over Almora the rest of the way.

Meh, for their career you’re talking .314 vs. .322. And Almora has actually been awful vs. lefties this season so do you really want to platoon him?

If the cost of Dyson is basically zero, I could see bringing him in as a bench guy, but not as a regular starter. And why would the D-backs give him away? It’s not like he makes that much money.
0 x

Edith Cox
Starter

Postby Edith Cox » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:18 am

Giving up assets for him would be silly in my book. His lifetime OPS is just slightly better than Almora this year at his worst.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm

From MLBTR:
It wasn’t long ago that the Rangers looked as if they were likely to buy at the July 31 trade deadline, but the club’s now plummeting down the standings. Losers of seven straight, the Rangers sit 50-49 and six games back of a wild-card spot. The club could sell before the deadline as a result, with Mike Minor, Hunter Pence and Danny Santana representing a few of its players who have drawn reported interest of late. Add right-handed relievers Jose Leclerc and Chris Martin to the group, per Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News.

Jose Leclerc would be a great pickup. Young, signed long term, righty with very good career numbers against LHB, etc.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 pm

With Willy back tomorrow there almost has to be a trade or Vic being sent down in the next ~24 hours. I suppose they could go 3 catchers and send Bote down and have Willy play OF. But I’m guessing a Vic trade or send down is more likely.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Transactions”