Trade targets 2019

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Brian Anderson would be interesting. He’s 26, so he’s not “young” for a rebuilding team. Is a plus defender at 3B and OF. I’d do something like Almora (Jeets has to love him), Ademan, a Giambrone type and a pitcher we don’t really care about.


If we just want someone to be a slightly above average bat with solid defense for depth, I kinda feel like Robel Garcia has to be the first call before spending any trade currency.

Well yeah but for some reason we aren’t calling him up or Happ even though they’re better players than at least 2 guys (Descalso and Almora) on the current roster.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
HawkeTrackler
Role Player
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:43 pm
x 315
x 87

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby HawkeTrackler » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Brian Anderson would be interesting. He’s 26, so he’s not “young” for a rebuilding team. Is a plus defender at 3B and OF. I’d do something like Almora (Jeets has to love him), Ademan, a Giambrone type and a pitcher we don’t really care about.


If we just want someone to be a slightly above average bat with solid defense for depth, I kinda feel like Robel Garcia has to be the first call before spending any trade currency.

Well yeah but for some reason we aren’t calling him up or Happ even though they’re better players than at least 2 guys (Descalso and Almora) on the current roster.


Happ is slashing .225/.347/.399 with a ~30% K rate so uhh... I don't necessarily see a call up anytime soon.
0 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 70573
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1266
x 2597

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Derwood » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:11 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
If we just want someone to be a slightly above average bat with solid defense for depth, I kinda feel like Robel Garcia has to be the first call before spending any trade currency.

Well yeah but for some reason we aren’t calling him up or Happ even though they’re better players than at least 2 guys (Descalso and Almora) on the current roster.


Happ is slashing .225/.347/.399 with a ~30% K rate so uhh... I don't necessarily see a call up anytime soon.


That would be a huge improvement over Descalso, sadly enough
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:33 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
If we just want someone to be a slightly above average bat with solid defense for depth, I kinda feel like Robel Garcia has to be the first call before spending any trade currency.

Well yeah but for some reason we aren’t calling him up or Happ even though they’re better players than at least 2 guys (Descalso and Almora) on the current roster.


Happ is slashing .225/.347/.399 with a ~30% K rate so uhh... I don't necessarily see a call up anytime soon.

That’s still better than Almora and Descalso
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5944
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:13 pm
x 6
x 115

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 pm

I'd really love Howie Kendrick and he should be fairly cheap; snag him and add Will Smith then hope for the best.
0 x

son of sanford and son
bench player
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Somerville
x 31

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby son of sanford and son » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Try this one on:

A pie-in-the-sky trade target, one whom would likely demand more than we can offer = Mookie Betts.

Rumblings out of Boston this spring have suggested that RIcketts/Werner have a number in mind (obv) that looks likely to be lower than the offers Betts is going to be receiving on the open market. With the long money just handed out to Chris Sale and Xander Boegaerts -- coupled with David Price opting in to the remainder of his 7-year contract, Rick Porcello poised to exit a rotation that is becoming less stable, and a thread-bare farm system -- the sentiment is that Betts' trade value will never be higher than this year's trade deadline for the purposes of "de-depleating" the farm.

Devers looks like a stud, on short money. Boegaerts is having a great year on the heels of cashing in. Ricketts/Werner have mentioned the upcoming problem of not being able to sign all of the FAs (much like what the Cubs will be facing), so there is a possiblility they may try to develop a core around these two guys and avoid the pitfalls of being pinched by the Lux Tax were they to re-up Betts at $375MM.

This is more of a "what if" than a "why not" scenario. However reckless it may appear to trade a Top 2 player in baseball, especially with the Red Sox seemingly able print money at will, this has been gaining a lot of traction in the market here in Boston.

Then again, the Bruins and Celtics just got bounced and there's a lot of air to fill with content during the slow season.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60816
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2976
x 10399

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:02 pm

son of sanford and son wrote:Try this one on:

A pie-in-the-sky trade target, one whom would likely demand more than we can offer = Mookie Betts.

Rumblings out of Boston this spring have suggested that RIcketts/Werner have a number in mind (obv) that looks likely to be lower than the offers Betts is going to be receiving on the open market. With the long money just handed out to Chris Sale and Xander Boegaerts -- coupled with David Price opting in to the remainder of his 7-year contract, Rick Porcello poised to exit a rotation that is becoming less stable, and a thread-bare farm system -- the sentiment is that Betts' trade value will never be higher than this year's trade deadline for the purposes of "de-depleating" the farm.

Devers looks like a stud, on short money. Boegaerts is having a great year on the heels of cashing in. Ricketts/Werner have mentioned the upcoming problem of not being able to sign all of the FAs (much like what the Cubs will be facing), so there is a possiblility they may try to develop a core around these two guys and avoid the pitfalls of being pinched by the Lux Tax were they to re-up Betts at $375MM.

This is more of a "what if" than a "why not" scenario. However reckless it may appear to trade a Top 2 player in baseball, especially with the Red Sox seemingly able print money at will, this has been gaining a lot of traction in the market here in Boston.

Then again, the Bruins and Celtics just got bounced and there's a lot of air to fill with content during the slow season.


Are you referring to John Henry or Dave Dombrowski when you mention the Ricketts?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

son of sanford and son
bench player
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Somerville
x 31

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby son of sanford and son » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:14 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
son of sanford and son wrote:Try this one on:

A pie-in-the-sky trade target, one whom would likely demand more than we can offer = Mookie Betts.

Rumblings out of Boston this spring have suggested that RIcketts/Werner have a number in mind (obv) that looks likely to be lower than the offers Betts is going to be receiving on the open market. With the long money just handed out to Chris Sale and Xander Boegaerts -- coupled with David Price opting in to the remainder of his 7-year contract, Rick Porcello poised to exit a rotation that is becoming less stable, and a thread-bare farm system -- the sentiment is that Betts' trade value will never be higher than this year's trade deadline for the purposes of "de-depleating" the farm.

Devers looks like a stud, on short money. Boegaerts is having a great year on the heels of cashing in. Ricketts/Werner have mentioned the upcoming problem of not being able to sign all of the FAs (much like what the Cubs will be facing), so there is a possiblility they may try to develop a core around these two guys and avoid the pitfalls of being pinched by the Lux Tax were they to re-up Betts at $375MM.

This is more of a "what if" than a "why not" scenario. However reckless it may appear to trade a Top 2 player in baseball, especially with the Red Sox seemingly able print money at will, this has been gaining a lot of traction in the market here in Boston.

Then again, the Bruins and Celtics just got bounced and there's a lot of air to fill with content during the slow season.


Are you referring to John Henry or Dave Dombrowski when you mention the Ricketts?


This has been an ownership call on the money. Entertaining/maximizing the return would certainly fall on Dombrowski.

Edit: derp, yeah, John Henry not PTR.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8040
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 1005

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Is it OK that I want them to trade for Jarrod Dyson, or is that ignorant? Or, is it OK to want to trade for him, but it's ignorant because I want him to lead off, get on base and steal right away so that we have a chance to score a run in the first inning each time he does?

Also, I don't even know if he's going to be on the trade block since Arizona isn't out of contention yet or anything.

ETA: Oh, horsefeathers. Dyson doesn't get on base much. He's solid so far this year, but not career-wise.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:Is it OK that I want them to trade for Jarrod Dyson, or is that ignorant? Or, is it OK to want to trade for him, but it's ignorant because I want him to lead off, get on base and steal right away so that we have a chance to score a run in the first inning each time he does?

Also, I don't even know if he's going to be on the trade block since Arizona isn't out of contention yet or anything.

ETA: Oh, horsefeathers. Dyson doesn't get on base much. He's solid so far this year, but not career-wise.

He’s a half measure target but he’s better than Almora. I’d be fine targeting him if he costs nothing. He shouldn’t lead off though because he has a lower OBP than Heyward this year and his career OBP is probably like 8th best on the team. He’d be a fine 8/9 hitter and it would be nice to have a good SB guy on the roster for the playoffs.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 497
x 667

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Bertz » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:19 pm

Dyson would help, but I think he would need to be paired with something else. Right now we're essentially playing down two bench spots with Descalso and CarGo. If we go big on fixing one of those (say Howie Kendrick) I'm fine saying "eh, we'll figure it out" on the other. But if we're going with a more modest option like Dyson we need to proactively upgrade the other as well.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Bertz wrote:Dyson would help, but I think he would need to be paired with something else. Right now we're essentially playing down two bench spots with Descalso and CarGo. If we go big on fixing one of those (say Howie Kendrick) I'm fine saying "eh, we'll figure it out" on the other. But if we're going with a more modest option like Dyson we need to proactively upgrade the other as well.

I don’t see how Kendrick is big on fixing things unless we think he’s going to continue his best year ever by far and not regress to what he’s always been. I have mixed feelings on him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 3927
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 608

Re: RE: Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:Dyson would help, but I think he would need to be paired with something else. Right now we're essentially playing down two bench spots with Descalso and CarGo. If we go big on fixing one of those (say Howie Kendrick) I'm fine saying "eh, we'll figure it out" on the other. But if we're going with a more modest option like Dyson we need to proactively upgrade the other as well.

I don’t see how Kendrick is big on fixing things unless we think he’s going to continue his best year ever by far and not regress to what he’s always been. I have mixed feelings on him.
I think we should absolutely buy-in that hes at least trying to hit for "power". Hes decupled his launch angle from 2017 and is currently underperforming his wOBA by 24 points. His batted ball results are phenomenal. There is room for serious regression and to still be a top 6 hitter on the Cubs.

Image
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 497
x 667

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Bertz » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:Dyson would help, but I think he would need to be paired with something else. Right now we're essentially playing down two bench spots with Descalso and CarGo. If we go big on fixing one of those (say Howie Kendrick) I'm fine saying "eh, we'll figure it out" on the other. But if we're going with a more modest option like Dyson we need to proactively upgrade the other as well.

I don’t see how Kendrick is big on fixing things unless we think he’s going to continue his best year ever by far and not regress to what he’s always been. I have mixed feelings on him.


He doesn't have to. 2017-2018 Kendrick is still a great bench player
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:39 am

We need at least 2 bats added to this offense, they don’t even need to be all that good (and maybe/hopefully at least one is Zobrist or Robel) but we at least need 2 depth bat adds. Like ~1.5 win bats. That shouldn’t be hard to find. I think with the emergence of Adbert and Kimbrel coming up soon we can lessen the bullpen target to a Tony Watson/LOOGY type since Adbert probably shifts to the pen once Hendricks is back and he could be a big weapon there.

A Goodrum/Castellanos package deal would be fun, though it has its limitations it shouldn’t cost much we care for. Castellanos can play RF and be subbed late for defense and Goodrum can take Descalo/Russell spot.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7214
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 648
x 655

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:49 am

Cubswin11 wrote:We need at least 2 bats added to this offense, they don’t even need to be all that good (and maybe/hopefully at least one is Zobrist or Robel) but we at least need 2 depth bat adds. Like ~1.5 win bats. That shouldn’t be hard to find. I think with the emergence of Adbert and Kimbrel coming up soon we can lessen the bullpen target to a Tony Watson/LOOGY type since Adbert probably shifts to the pen once Hendricks is back and he could be a big weapon there.

A Goodrum/Castellanos package deal would be fun, though it has its limitations it shouldn’t cost much we care for. Castellanos can play RF and be subbed late for defense and Goodrum can take Descalo/Russell spot.


Yeah, I've come around to this line of thinking for the deadline and like the Castellanos/Goodrum play alot. Goodrum can be useful beyond 2019, seems like a strong multi-year bench option. Mostly this is the case because I don't think the biggest fish (Lindor/Ramirez, Haniger, Betts) actually worth giving up the house for have any chance at moving before the offseason

Thoughts on getting a better backup C? Not a thing? I'm pretty indifferent
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:54 am

A backup C isn’t moving the needle to me, if they can add a guy to stash in Iowa (or move Vic there) until rosters expand I guess. But it wouldn’t be a priority to me. We have 4 absolutely dead weight spots for position players right now of the 12 (Almora, Russell, Descalso and Cargo) and that doesn’t include Vic/backup catcher. It’s such garbage construction, but the good thing is (like I said) is that it should be able to be fixed because literally even ~1.5 win guys make things more than fine.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

abohnhoff
Role Player
Posts: 204
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:48 pm
x 2

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby abohnhoff » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm

What about Scooter Gennett? Free agent at the end of the year, pushing 30 years old, making just shy of $10m this year. Coming off a 2 month injury and unlikely to fit into Cincy's plans, he should/could be available at a decent price.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:09 am



I doubt we'd be there to scout Boyd. He's having a nice year and is controlled for 3 years, I'd assume he'd be expensive but also don't see us adding a starter. That's really not the problem and we have internal options. I'd assume we were scouting a bat as the Tigers and Rangers don't really have any pitchers I see us in on. Goodrum and/or Castellanos make sense for us, not perfect fits, but both make sense. Castellanos bat would be a welcome addition, though his defense is quite bad (personally I think it's worth sucking it up on the defense to add his bat). Goodrum is a nice bench type guy who can play a few spots and steal bases and can take some walks. A package deal for both would go a long ways to bolster things, again they aren't a silver bullet and have flaws but they make us better. Castellanos being a rental and Goodrum already being 27 shouldn't cost a ton, certainly shouldn't cost any of the top prospect and could see Russell, Happ and Monty making some sense being involved (1 or 2 at most and not all) going to them with some prospects we really don't care about.

The Rangers are contending for a WC but need pitching, Chavez is in their rotation right now. I could see Monty being of interest to them and maybe even Mills, Brach, Kintzler or a Wick/Barnette type as well. There could be a MLB for MLB swap here. While none are really that sexy, Danny Santana, Logan Forsythe, Asdrubal or DeShields could all make sense to strengthen our bench.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 14995
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 97
x 209

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:14 pm

I'm a big fan of Mallex Smith. I know I mentioned him before but I think he'd thrive in Wrigley and wouldn't cost too much.

Also, Ian Kennedy has been incredible out of the Royals pen. If they're picking up some of the tab to move his contract, he also might be a nice option that wouldn't cost much.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 497
x 667

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Bertz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:I'm a big fan of Mallex Smith. I know I mentioned him before but I think he'd thrive in Wrigley and wouldn't cost too much.

Also, Ian Kennedy has been incredible out of the Royals pen. If they're picking up some of the tab to move his contract, he also might be a nice option that wouldn't cost much.


I wonder if something like Chatwood for Kennedy would work. Kennedy is obviously better at this point, but he's owed more money and the Royals are in a position to throw Chatwood out there every fifth day and see what he'd do with regular innings.

We'd probably have to throw in something else to make it work, but I don't think it would have to be that big of a piece.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Bertz wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:I'm a big fan of Mallex Smith. I know I mentioned him before but I think he'd thrive in Wrigley and wouldn't cost too much.

Also, Ian Kennedy has been incredible out of the Royals pen. If they're picking up some of the tab to move his contract, he also might be a nice option that wouldn't cost much.


I wonder if something like Chatwood for Kennedy would work. Kennedy is obviously better at this point, but he's owed more money and the Royals are in a position to throw Chatwood out there every fifth day and see what he'd do with regular innings.

We'd probably have to throw in something else to make it work, but I don't think it would have to be that big of a piece.

Chatwood, Happ and a not great prospect for Kennedy and Gordon. Figure out some money coming our way this year and the Royals way next year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 497
x 667

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Bertz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:22 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Post Count Padder wrote:I'm a big fan of Mallex Smith. I know I mentioned him before but I think he'd thrive in Wrigley and wouldn't cost too much.

Also, Ian Kennedy has been incredible out of the Royals pen. If they're picking up some of the tab to move his contract, he also might be a nice option that wouldn't cost much.


I wonder if something like Chatwood for Kennedy would work. Kennedy is obviously better at this point, but he's owed more money and the Royals are in a position to throw Chatwood out there every fifth day and see what he'd do with regular innings.

We'd probably have to throw in something else to make it work, but I don't think it would have to be that big of a piece.

Chatwood, Happ and a not great prospect for Kennedy and Gordon. Figure out some money coming our way this year and the Royals way next year.


I'd be up for that. Sounds like Gordon won't waive his NTC, though that's not always real.

I think generally, with Kimbrel in the fold, there are three things I want to accomplish before the deadline:

1. Fix the bench. CarGo and Descalso are basically forcing us to play with a 23 man roster right now. Between those two, Robel, and Happ I bet we can figure one spot out internally, but the other NEEDS to be an outsider. I like Howie Kendrick, but there's realistically dozens of guys who could plug the whole, so I'm not going to get too attached to any one in particular

2..Get another lefty reliever. I actually like Kyle Ryan, and I get the vibe I might be the only one on this board who does, but I still prefer him as the second lefty out of the pen. Tony Watson is my guy here.

3. Dump one of the long relievers. I like Mike Montgomery, but dude sucks as a short reliever and aside from one glorious night always has. Tyler Chatwood's obviously unreliable. Having both of them taking up roster spots really limits flexibility. Now with Kimbrel, we're already in a position where we have to play Dodgers DL shenanigans just to bring back Carl, much less add someone from outside the org or add a Morrow/Alzolay/Maples. I still believe in Montgomery as a solid #4 starter, and I'm sure at least a dozen teams do too, so maybe we could kill two birds with one stone and use him to get most of #1 or #2.

The good news is that as far as trade deadline to do lists go, that's not a very heavy lift. And the last few deadlines, teams not shopping at the top of the market have generally gotten great deals.
3 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25568
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 7526
x 5375

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
I wonder if something like Chatwood for Kennedy would work. Kennedy is obviously better at this point, but he's owed more money and the Royals are in a position to throw Chatwood out there every fifth day and see what he'd do with regular innings.

We'd probably have to throw in something else to make it work, but I don't think it would have to be that big of a piece.

Chatwood, Happ and a not great prospect for Kennedy and Gordon. Figure out some money coming our way this year and the Royals way next year.


I'd be up for that. Sounds like Gordon won't waive his NTC, though that's not always real.

I think generally, with Kimbrel in the fold, there are three things I want to accomplish before the deadline:

1. Fix the bench. CarGo and Descalso are basically forcing us to play with a 23 man roster right now. Between those two, Robel, and Happ I bet we can figure one spot out internally, but the other NEEDS to be an outsider. I like Howie Kendrick, but there's realistically dozens of guys who could plug the whole, so I'm not going to get too attached to any one in particular

2..Get another lefty reliever. I actually like Kyle Ryan, and I get the vibe I might be the only one on this board who does, but I still prefer him as the second lefty out of the pen. Tony Watson is my guy here.

3. Dump one of the long relievers. I like Mike Montgomery, but dude sucks as a short reliever and aside from one glorious night always has. Tyler Chatwood's obviously unreliable. Having both of them taking up roster spots really limits flexibility. Now with Kimbrel, we're already in a position where we have to play Dodgers DL shenanigans just to bring back Carl, much less add someone from outside the org or add a Morrow/Alzolay/Maples. I still believe in Montgomery as a solid #4 starter, and I'm sure at least a dozen teams do too, so maybe we could kill two birds with one stone and use him to get most of #1 or #2.

The good news is that as far as trade deadline to do lists go, that's not a very heavy lift. And the last few deadlines, teams not shopping at the top of the market have generally gotten great deals.

Agree. I’ve talked myself in to Castellanos as the bat add, suck up the horsefeathers defense. Then call up Robel and hope Zobrist comes back. Agree on Watson being the limit of bullpen add we need and also that Monty probably should go at this point.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Stu
Starter
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: New York, NY
x 36

Re: Trade targets 2019

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:12 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Chatwood, Happ and a not great prospect for Kennedy and Gordon. Figure out some money coming our way this year and the Royals way next year.


I'd be up for that. Sounds like Gordon won't waive his NTC, though that's not always real.

I think generally, with Kimbrel in the fold, there are three things I want to accomplish before the deadline:

1. Fix the bench. CarGo and Descalso are basically forcing us to play with a 23 man roster right now. Between those two, Robel, and Happ I bet we can figure one spot out internally, but the other NEEDS to be an outsider. I like Howie Kendrick, but there's realistically dozens of guys who could plug the whole, so I'm not going to get too attached to any one in particular

2..Get another lefty reliever. I actually like Kyle Ryan, and I get the vibe I might be the only one on this board who does, but I still prefer him as the second lefty out of the pen. Tony Watson is my guy here.

3. Dump one of the long relievers. I like Mike Montgomery, but dude sucks as a short reliever and aside from one glorious night always has. Tyler Chatwood's obviously unreliable. Having both of them taking up roster spots really limits flexibility. Now with Kimbrel, we're already in a position where we have to play Dodgers DL shenanigans just to bring back Carl, much less add someone from outside the org or add a Morrow/Alzolay/Maples. I still believe in Montgomery as a solid #4 starter, and I'm sure at least a dozen teams do too, so maybe we could kill two birds with one stone and use him to get most of #1 or #2.

The good news is that as far as trade deadline to do lists go, that's not a very heavy lift. And the last few deadlines, teams not shopping at the top of the market have generally gotten great deals.

Agree. I’ve talked myself in to Castellanos as the bat add, suck up the horsefeathers defense. Then call up Robel and hope Zobrist comes back. Agree on Watson being the limit of bullpen add we need and also that Monty probably should go at this point.


added bonus in having Watson -- in case Jake needs beaned when the Cubs play at Philly
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bertz and 5 guests