ChiCargo Cubs - AKA that bad man can't hurt you anymore

cl smooth
All-Star

Re: ChiCargo Cubs - AKA that bad man can't hurt you anymore

Postby cl smooth » Thu May 30, 2019 8:09 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
Steve Trachsel is by far the pitching name I remember most (pre Kerry Wood) from my childhood, and the best year of his career, fWAR wise, he put up a 5.66 ERA.

I remember Trachsel most for taking forever between pitches. It became a running joke and broadcasts sometimes clocked him. Hilarious stuff

I remember him most for having a very Chatwoodian 6.1 IP, 1 H, 6 BB performance in the Wild Card tiebreaker game in 98

121 pitches. :-"
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Thu May 30, 2019 9:38 pm

I most remember Trachsel from my first game at Wrigley Field. My dad was teaching me how to keep score. After Brian Hunter lead off the game with a double my dad turned to me and said, “Well, there goes the no hitter.” Only hit the Astros got that day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199605130.shtml

I also vividly remember Sandberg scoring a run on I think a Grace single up the middle, Sosa homering and the last out was a flyball to Brian McRae.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 pm

Sammys Boombox wrote:I most remember Trachsel from my first game at Wrigley Field. My dad was teaching me how to keep score. After Brian Hunter lead off the game with a double my dad turned to me and said, “Well, there goes the no hitter.” Only hit the Astros got that day.

I also vividly remember Sandberg scoring a run on I think a Grace single up the middle, Sosa homering and the last out was a flyball to Brian McRae.

Who the horsefeathers is Leo Gomez? I do not remember that name at all. He was a starting 3B for the Cubs?
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Old Style wrote:
Sammys Boombox wrote:I most remember Trachsel from my first game at Wrigley Field. My dad was teaching me how to keep score. After Brian Hunter lead off the game with a double my dad turned to me and said, “Well, there goes the no hitter.” Only hit the Astros got that day.

Who the horsefeathers is Leo Gomez? I do not remember that name at all. He was a starting 3B for the Cubs?

I want to say I remember him and Ozzie Timmons as mainstay on whatever video game was played on the sega genesis around that time.

The dark ages. Wish they were still on strike.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 pm

Old Style wrote:

indeed he was. the looks of geovany soto mixed with mike lowell.
0 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Thu May 30, 2019 10:58 pm

I’m 100% ok with this move. I didn’t realize CarGo was so bad that he wasn’t even on a roster.

If he does ever make the MLB roster I fully expect him to hit a few dramatic home runs and never once sniff a .300 OBP
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 30, 2019 11:15 pm

BigSlick wrote:I’m 100% ok with this move. I didn’t realize CarGo was so bad that he wasn’t even on a roster.

He was on the Indians until they released him 4 days ago

He slashed .210/.282/.276 with 2 HR in 117 PA's
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu May 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Old Style wrote:

i remember him. i always try to throw his name in on the sporcle opening day lineups quiz.
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 am

David wrote:i remember trachsel most for having an even/odd year thing

Yeah I remember in the even years he would be garbage but in the odd years he'd be REALLY garbage.
5 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Fri May 31, 2019 1:02 am

Throw poop at the wall. Maybe some of it sticks.

What other poop might be put there?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri May 31, 2019 1:06 am

Derwood wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
I remember Trachsel most for taking forever between pitches. It became a running joke and broadcasts sometimes clocked him. Hilarious stuff

I remember him most for having a very Chatwoodian 6.1 IP, 1 H, 6 BB performance in the Wild Card tiebreaker game in 98

And then Tapani cane out of the pen and tried to blow it

You must mean Tampnanni.

Miss you, Grandpa!
2 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm

Old Style wrote:

Semi-platoon with Dave Magadan I believe.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri May 31, 2019 1:53 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Old Style wrote:

Semi-platoon with Dave Magadan I believe.

He started 102 games that season I think it was.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm

David wrote:
Old Style wrote:

i remember him. i always try to throw his name in on the sporcle opening day lineups quiz.

That's how I remember him. That quiz is full of "what the hell" players. I have zero recollection of Benito Santiago playing for the Cubs.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Fri May 31, 2019 3:24 pm

NOLA wrote:
David wrote:
Old Style wrote:Who the horsefeathers is Leo Gomez? I do not remember that name at all. He was a starting 3B for the Cubs?

That's how I remember him. That quiz is full of "what the hell" players. I have zero recollection of Benito Santiago playing for the Cubs.

See now him I remember.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri May 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Leo Gomez goes into that large, faceless pile of "people who played 3b at some point for the Cubs" with no differentiating traits.

Honestly you could take any Hispanic-sounding male name and tell me they played 3b for the Cubs in the 80s or early 90s and my brain would say "oh yeah, that guy."
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:54 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Leo Gomez goes into that large, faceless pile of "people who played 3b at some point for the Cubs" with no differentiating traits.

Honestly you could take any Hispanic-sounding male name and tell me they played 3b for the Cubs in the 80s or early 90s and my brain would say "oh yeah, that guy."

I recognize all these late 80s/early 90's names because I was a nerd that owned thousands of baseball calls and studied them all constantly.

Damon Berryhill, Steve Buechelle, Scott Sanderson, Mike Bielecki, Luis Salazar, Rey Sanchez, Doug Dascenzo, Les Lancaster, Paul Assenmacher, etc. I couldn't tell you a thing about many of them but the mention of their names brings me right back to being a 10 year old.
0 x
Win it for Fred

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri May 31, 2019 3:58 pm

I had the 89 Stats disk for Earl Weaver Baseball 2 so i could tell you the ERAs of most of those guys

Assenmacher 3.99
Steve Wilson 4.20
Jeff Pico 3.77(?)
Les Lancaster 1.36 I abused the hell out of this guy
2 x

beantowncubfan
Role Player

Postby beantowncubfan » Fri May 31, 2019 4:34 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:I had the 89 Stats disk for Earl Weaver Baseball 2 so i could tell you the ERAs of most of those guys

Assenmacher 3.99
Steve Wilson 4.20
Jeff Pico 3.77(?)

But what was Doug Dascenzos ERA?
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri May 31, 2019 4:36 pm

beantowncubfan wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:I had the 89 Stats disk for Earl Weaver Baseball 2 so i could tell you the ERAs of most of those guys

Assenmacher 3.99
Steve Wilson 4.20
Jeff Pico 3.77(?)

But what was Doug Dascenzos ERA?

Blutarsky
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri May 31, 2019 4:55 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Leo Gomez goes into that large, faceless pile of "people who played 3b at some point for the Cubs" with no differentiating traits.

IIRC, Gomez came from Baltimore and was brought in after Gary Scott failed and was later traded for an injured Kal Daniels who doubled in his 1st AB and could not run.

Meh, I was wrong it was Buechele who came over then Gomez, then Orie.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm

UK wrote:

IIRC, Gomez came from Baltimore and was brought in after Gary Scott failed and was later traded for an injured Kal Daniels who doubled in his 1st AB and could not run.

Kal Daniels did have the greatest Sports Machine highlight of all time
0 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Fri May 31, 2019 5:16 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
UK wrote:

Ugh, I remember staying up until 11:30 pm watching George Michael's sports machine. While I would watch because of the memories (much like watching TWIB), I would probably be amazed at how bad they were.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
UK wrote:

skip to about 5:30 https://youtu.be/OSIH4YHoTc0?t=321
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri May 31, 2019 7:44 pm

woodchip2153 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:
UK wrote:

skip to about 5:30 https://youtu.be/OSIH4YHoTc0?t=321

If you go 10 seconds earlier, you get a Scott Servais sighting.

Not to be confused with Tyler Houston, who borrowed my sharpie and signed for all the kids around me then handed it back without signing for me.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”