2020 roster

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2020 roster

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 pm

Tryptamine wrote:What am I missing. Hedges is strong defensively but can't hit. Margot is strong defensively but can't hit. Munoz is enticing, but I think there's a very high chance Lamet,who only really throws 2 pitches, winds up a reliever as well.

Hedges and Margot you're banking on them hitting better with a different org and getting out of Petco/NL West. I'm more bullish on Margot making that leap given his pedigree and age, but Hedges doesn't have to go far to make himself worthwhile given just how good he is defensively. They both complement existing players(Happ & the LH corner OFs, Caratini) well for platoon/timeshare/PH purposes too. That said, I'm not all that attached to Hedges so if it's not him and something else you find interesting, that's fine with me.

Lamet has 2.7 fWAR in 35 MLB starts, the questions are if he can stay healthy, and if he can go a bit deeper in games. If either were answered he wouldn't be available, so you take the chance that one happens and you essentially have a new Quintana in value, a late bloomer SP with lots of team control providing ~3 wins/year. If both happen he's the new Arrieta, but it is possible that none of them do.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Mooney with some mildly interesting miscellany: https://theathletic.com/1379851/2019/11 ... on-morrow/

- Napoli was under consideration to be the bench coach last year (they went with Loretta instead)
- The team definitely has Shogo on their radar, Mooney specifically cited his on-base ability and that he's a 'two-way' player, which might indicate there's less worry about him sticking in CF
- Rehashing the Morrow story, with the implication that Morrow feels he owes the Cubs for not being more available
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Mooney with some mildly interesting miscellany: https://theathletic.com/1379851/2019/11 ... on-morrow/

- Napoli was under consideration to be the bench coach last year (they went with Loretta instead)
- The team definitely has Shogo on their radar, Mooney specifically cited his on-base ability and that he's a 'two-way' player, which might indicate there's less worry about him sticking in CF
- Rehashing the Morrow story, with the implication that Morrow feels he owes the Cubs for not being more available

Mooney with an article of actual substance, that's a fun change of pace.

I like the Akiyama fit a lot. A lot of the negative stuff about his defense has mentioned how much it has declined rather than saying it's outright bad. So maybe it's a Lorenzo Cain situation where he's gone from incredible to merely pretty good?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Bertz wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Mooney with some mildly interesting miscellany: https://theathletic.com/1379851/2019/11 ... on-morrow/

Mooney with an article of actual substance, that's a fun change of pace.

I like the Akiyama fit a lot. A lot of the negative stuff about his defense has mentioned how much it has declined rather than saying it's outright bad. So maybe it's a Lorenzo Cain situation where he's gone from incredible to merely pretty good?

If I'm being an optimist, the only noteworthy criticism of his defense I can recall came from a pitcher in that league but not on his team, so I have my doubts about how accurate a source it is.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:07 am

Akiyama seems like a great fit for the roster, but being LH it would really become important to find a RH bat who can handle CF and it better not be horsefeathering Almora.

Also I wonder if him and Yu know each other or played together ever, could help in the recruiting/selling. Obviously Yu has been over here for a while now but they’re about the same age so maybe they know each other from their teen/early 20 years playing baseball in Japan or even WBC stuff.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:25 am

Gray - yes.

Akiyama - no.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:28 pm

2 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:39 pm

0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:40 pm

0 x
► Show Spoiler

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:45 pm

FFS
Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/bleachernation/status/1195790105966993409?s=21

Spoiler: show
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 pm

Wednesday is the deadline for teams to set their 40s for the Rule V (12/12)...MLB.com has a list of prospects by team that are eligible and their takes on who should make rosters:

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects- ... e-coverage

They (or Mayo?) consider Amaya, Short, and Miller the no brainer adds for the Cubs...I'm more into adding Amaya, Giambrone, and Mekkes personally

I'm probably more interested in who won't get rostered since those guys might be available for trade before the draft and not sure the draft itself is great for the Cubs without some luck. One of the first names on the list is D'Backs RHP Taylor Widener. He's not listed as a likely add but is basically ML ready spending last year in AAA for 100 innings (not pretty but got the double whammy of west coast PCL) after two dominant seasons in a row at High A and then AA. Might be a clever trade candidate for MiL depth...The Orioles' Keegan Akin is interesting, he's a likely add but would be a fun small trade pickup if there's one to make and is someone who might even be draftable if not added...Burdi from the White Sox was hot stuff a couple years ago...I wonder how the Tigers feel about Beau Burrows these days since he's fallen behind guys like Mize and Manning...Szapucki from the Mets has the kind of arm that someone might be willing to throw in the pen as a LOOGY to start if he's not rostered and I like Garrett Williams from the Giants some too...There's probably some fringe-y looking move to be made that might work out hopefully
2 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Yeah if we don't roster Mekkes, someone like the Marlins or Orioles will definitely take him. I do believe he could be a good relief option as early as this season. And Giambrone would definitely get taken as well if he isn't rostered.

Also I can see why Theo is attached to Almora, he's a cheap CF option and was also his first first rounder with us. At the same time, he cratered last year and if you wanna compete, he can't get 300 at bats next season. Best bet would be to try and find a trade partner. Send him to a bad team looking for reclamation projects/cheap starters and get a lottery ticket and some salary relief in return.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Yeah if we don't roster Mekkes, someone like the Marlins or Orioles will definitely take him. I do believe he could be a good relief option as early as this season. And Giambrone would definitely get taken as well if he isn't rostered.

Also I can see why Theo is attached to Almora, he's a cheap CF option and was also his first first rounder with us. At the same time, he cratered last year and if you wanna compete, he can't get 300 at bats next season. Best bet would be to try and find a trade partner. Send him to a bad team looking for reclamation projects/cheap starters and get a lottery ticket and some salary relief in return.

The team has probably ~7 spots they can use to protect guys, so the decision on Mekkes will be tight. Based on this article from Arizona Phil a couple weeks ago, and subsequent decisions on Q, Graveman, and Webster, I believe we're at 31 spots filled right now

https://www.thecubreporter.com/10062019 ... ies-roster

Russell's a safe bet to go, which brings us to 30. I'd imagine the team adds 3 net new guys to the roster over the offseason (1 pitcher and 2 position players). There's likely to be more than that, but anything additional would have an offsetting move off the roster. That means 7 guys get protected:

- Amaya is a 100% lock
- Rea and Miller seem very likely, I'd say ~90%
- Johnny Pereda seems likely to take the Taylor Davis emergency catcher role. PJ Higgins has a shot as a more offensive minded alternative
- Zack Short and Trent Giambrone both seem unlikely but not ridiculously so
- Mekkes, Minch, and Swarmer are the reliever options under consideration, I imagine in that order
- They may also want to leave a spot open to play the roster crunch game, like with Ian Clarkin last winter

So with all that said, I'd guess they keep him, but it's probably ~60/40. There may also only be 6 spots to play with. I do not expect both Mills and Chatwood to make it to ST. If the plan is to keep both, that's one fewer spot to play with. However, we could also add a spot by dumping Almora.

Speaking of Almora, I would keep him. It seems given the market that we're not ultimately going to bring in a slam dunk everyday guy for CF. We're likely going to head into the season with Happ and TBD fighting for the role, with Heyward and Nico as depth options. Given that, I think we want to have as many rolls of the dice as possible, and having Almora hanging out at Iowa would be prudent. The Iowa outfield is a travesty anyway so it's not like he's blocking anyone. Unless his ~2m is really the difference in making another move there's no reason not to keep him and hope that putting him on the Ian Happ plan can't get him back to at least being a useful bench guy.
1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:10 pm

And saying that, it certainly seems like we're making a couple minor trades in the next two weeks to lessen that 40 man crunch. So Mekkes and Giambrone or similar players on the cusp could be sent away for lottery tickets.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

From July 2018-2019 Almora hit .234/.270/.343 with a 58 wRC+ in ~600 PAs & rated awful defensively. From 2018-2019 he had 830 PAs, 183 guys had 800+ he ranked 175th in wRC+, 166th in OBP and 173rd in WAR.

He’s a bad baseball player, there’s no reason to keep him and there isn’t much pedigree/numbers (MLB or MiLB) to fall back on. You can find an upgrade over that even if it isn’t all that good of a player and I’m guessing ~$2 million isn’t nothing to us again this offseason.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:From July 2018-2019 Almora hit .234/.270/.343 with a 58 wRC+ in ~600 PAs & rated awful defensively. From 2018-2019 he had 830 PAs, 183 guys had 800+ he ranked 175th in wRC+, 166th in OBP and 173rd in WAR.

He’s a bad baseball player, there’s no reason to keep him and there isn’t much pedigree/numbers (MLB or MiLB) to fall back on. You can find an upgrade over that even if it isn’t all that good of a player and I’m guessing ~$2 million isn’t nothing to us again this offseason.

I don’t want Almora back, but to play devil’s advocate, on opening day he had a .350 wOBA v. LHP and a +2 UZR (+9 DRS) in CF. A roster spot is 600k minimum, so while his projected 1.8 number isn’t nothing if money is tight, that <1.5 incremental is a small amount in the grand scheme where you have ~10ish roster spots where you don’t know the exact salary(either acquisition or arb). Ultimately its a decision that’s down the list of things that are important to me, like whether or not Descalso comes back.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:From July 2018-2019 Almora hit .234/.270/.343 with a 58 wRC+ in ~600 PAs & rated awful defensively. From 2018-2019 he had 830 PAs, 183 guys had 800+ he ranked 175th in wRC+, 166th in OBP and 173rd in WAR.

I don’t want Almora back, but to play devil’s advocate, on opening day he had a .350 wOBA v. LHP and a +2 UZR (+9 DRS) in CF. A roster spot is 600k minimum, so while his projected 1.8 number isn’t nothing if money is tight, that <1.5 incremental is a small amount in the grand scheme where you have ~10ish roster spots where you don’t know the exact salary(either acquisition or arb). Ultimately its a decision that’s down the list of things that are important to me, like whether or not Descalso comes back.

And now it’s down to .318 and 96 wRC+ vs LHP, +3 DRS, .8 UZR. He horsefeathering sucks and the facts are clear as day. Maybe the money likely ends up not making an overly material difference, but he can’t be taking major league ABs/starts to start the year and ~$2 mil seems like a lot to let a guy go try and figure it out in Iowa when he never really was good to begin with. I’d rather try another guy or two out there, even if they’re castoffs from other teams like even a Keon Broxton or Juan Lagares or whatever. Just try something else because Almora clearly ain’t it.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:37 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

And now it’s down to .318 and 96 wRC+ vs LHP, +3 DRS, .8 UZR. He horsefeathering sucks and the facts are clear as day. Maybe the money likely ends up not making an overly material difference, but he can’t be taking major league ABs/starts to start the year and ~$2 mil seems like a lot to let a guy go try and figure it out in Iowa when he never really was good to begin with. I’d rather try another guy or two out there, even if they’re castoffs from other teams like even a Keon Broxton or Juan Lagares or whatever. Just try something else because Almora clearly ain’t it.

The argument for Almora is that his 2019 is an aberration, so the degree that he sucked doesnt make a whole lot of difference. Given they can fake that role already with Happ or even Hoerner and that it’s not too pricey to find a different castoff i don’t want him back, but this is gonna be the last time i make any sort of argument about him because the margins are not big and i don’t care as much as lots of folks seem to about him.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Role Player

Postby Named After Maddux » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 pm

I’m fine with moving on from Almora as I prefer a trade for Margot to complement our OF, but it wouldn’t be a complete shocker to see him back. I remember conversations about how much Theo, in particular, gravitated to Almora during the run up to the 2012 draft.

That being said, I read that as trying to get it out there that they weren’t planning on non-tendering him leading up to the deadline. If a team were convinced he was being NT’d he’d have zero value. Maybe you can convince a team like the Mets to trade a lottery ticket arm or reclamation project.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:59 pm

I also don't mind Almora probably getting tendered a contract. $1.8 million is less than Phil Coke money, and this FO has had no problems releasing or hiding a collapsed guy at those prices. I don't even think it gets that far, Almora should be really easy to trade. Lots of teams need a CF and my guess is the Cubs won't have the kind of ask for Almora (say a nichey pitcher) that the Padres might have for Margot (high impact SP or bat)
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:27 am

Still a fan of doing the Q and maybe a Short, Underwood, Almora or whatever throw in type for Pivetta, Hernandez (try and extend to like 3/18 to save some real and AAV $), and maybe a relief pitcher lotto ticket trade I’ve brought up. Especially if we pull off a SP in a Willy trade (Gray, Lamet, some other MLB ready guy).

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:09 am

Diamondbacks outfielder Steven Souza, Jr. is back to running at full speed, the 30-year-old himself tweeted. It’s a good sign, as Souza missed all of 2019 after tearing multiple ligaments in his left knee in spring training. That followed up a disappointing debut in the desert, in which Souza slashed just .220/.309/.369 in 272 plate appearances. Coming off back-to-back lost seasons and projected to make $4.125MM in arbitration, Souza could be a non-tender candidate this offseason. As MLBTR’s Jeff Todd recently explored, the Diamondbacks have quite a few difficult decisions to make in the coming weeks to sort out their outfield mix.

Could be a cheap bench player for the OF and 1B
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 pm

We did the Wick for Vosler trade a year ago today. With the 40-man deadline coming up tomorrow and us having like 8 spots open I wouldn’t be shocked if we pull off a small trade like that today or tomorrow.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:24 pm

I don't think I've seen him mentioned, but shouldn't we be in on Robinson Chirinos if Contreras is dealt? He's 35, probably available on a 1 year deal and coming off a 113wRC+ 2.3fWAR season.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”