Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

User avatar
Deeg
All-Star
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:14 pm
Location: Kagurazaka, Japan
x 44
x 119

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Deeg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 pm

Andy wrote:If LA can't win the title in a year Houston's been cleaned out by a cheating scandal, Boston gave them their best player just to count money, and the Cubs sat out the off-season just to count money, that would be depressing for them.


I don't think what the Cubs did - or didn't - was much relevant to who wins the World Series.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Regular Show » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:11 pm


Graterol, 21, was out from May 25 to Aug. 7 last season with a right shoulder impingement, but recovered to make his major-league debut in September and crack the Twins’ Division Series roster. His fastball tops out at 101 mph, but the Twins viewed him as a future reliever, and the Red Sox evidently agree that he is not suited for a 150- to 170-inning workload, at least not right away.

A revised interpretation of risk is not unusual after a trade agreement is reached and a club sees a player’s medical records for the first time. Teams consider starters more valuable than relievers, which is why the Red Sox might seek additional compensation.



He's definitely going to end up being a reliever, but potentially a very good one if he can remain healthy. Twins marked him as "untouchable" last offseason or close to it.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73344
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1538
x 3350

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Derwood » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:05 pm

Looking at how the Angels shape up after acquiring Pederson...their offense is going to rake, but LOLOL at that rotation. Holy hell
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Regular Show » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:01 am


I listen to every episode of their podcast, but I haven't gotten around to this one yet. The trade package isn't finalized btw and I think Boston is getting a 2nd prospect from the Twins. Still a bad trade of course.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19815
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3080
x 1156

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:18 am

Regular Show wrote:
I listen to every episode of their podcast, but I haven't gotten around to this one yet. The trade package isn't finalized btw and I think Boston is getting a 2nd prospect from the Twins. Still a bad trade of course.



As if devaluing players worth wasn’t already in ownerships wheelhouse
0 x
Image

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19815
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3080
x 1156

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 am

Regular Show wrote:
Graterol, 21, was out from May 25 to Aug. 7 last season with a right shoulder impingement, but recovered to make his major-league debut in September and crack the Twins’ Division Series roster. His fastball tops out at 101 mph, but the Twins viewed him as a future reliever, and the Red Sox evidently agree that he is not suited for a 150- to 170-inning workload, at least not right away.

A revised interpretation of risk is not unusual after a trade agreement is reached and a club sees a player’s medical records for the first time. Teams consider starters more valuable than relievers, which is why the Red Sox might seek additional compensation.



He's definitely going to end up being a reliever, but potentially a very good one if he can remain healthy. Twins marked him as "untouchable" last offseason or close to it.



100 mph sinker lol goodbye elbow
0 x
Image

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15255
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 196
x 293

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 am

Lol

8:27PM: “Some involved [in the trade] are now suggesting it’s not a certainty,” MLB Network’s Jon Heyman tweets, as the holdup continues to center around the Red Sox, Twins, and Graterol’s condition. Boston is reportedly trying to “reconfigure” its end of the deal with the Twins, “meaning more than Graterol” would head from Minnesota to Fenway Park.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 975
x 1501

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Bertz » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 am

1 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15255
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 196
x 293

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:20 pm

The Twins no longer plan to complete their portion of the proposed three-team trade that would send Mookie Betts to the Dodgers, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Star Tribune. As part of the trade, the Twins were to send right-hander Brusdar Graterol to the Red Sox, receiving Kenta Maeda in return. However, after the Red Sox balked at Graterol’s medical reports, they requested another prospect from the Twins.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

d_money
All-Star
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm
x 98

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby d_money » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:39 pm

Twins possible landing spot for Q?
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 2601
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 4403
x 1059

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby cl smooth » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:02 pm

0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6926
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 10
x 95

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:28 pm

I know the only trade the Cubs seem to be interested in is Bryant and we're broke, but any (or all) of those guys from the Dodgers (Pederson, Stripling, Maeda, and Verdugo) certainly would make nice additions to our roster.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 10
x 211

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby champaignchris » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:21 am

Backtobanks wrote:I know the only trade the Cubs seem to be interested in is Bryant and we're broke, but any (or all) of those guys from the Dodgers (Pederson, Stripling, Maeda, and Verdugo) certainly would make nice additions to our roster.


Verdugo and Maeda for Bryant and Heyward?
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6926
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 10
x 95

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:30 pm

champaignchris wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:I know the only trade the Cubs seem to be interested in is Bryant and we're broke, but any (or all) of those guys from the Dodgers (Pederson, Stripling, Maeda, and Verdugo) certainly would make nice additions to our roster.


Verdugo and Maeda for Bryant and Heyward?


Find a way to add Chris Taylor and it would really be a great deal.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Regular Show » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:15 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Regular Show » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:25 pm


0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 975
x 1501

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Bertz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:54 pm

0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Regular Show » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/statuses/1226639551793373185

I think I like this deal a little more than the previous deal. We have to see how good the 3rd piece is before we judge it.

I think both Verdugo and Downs can be solid players for the Red Sox. Probably not superstar talents, but Verdugo was on pace for a 4-5 WAR season before he got hurt I believe.

Graterol could be a good high-leverage reliever, but I have zero confidence he could hold up as a starter. You don't accrue a ton of WAR as a reliever, but they do have a ton of value in the playoffs and at the trade deadline. I think I'd rather have Downs over Graterol, but it's close.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30337
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6041
Contact:

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Brian » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 pm

3rd player to Boston is catcher Connor Wong
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 975
x 1501

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Bertz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:13 am

Regular Show wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/statuses/1226639551793373185

I think I like this deal a little more than the previous deal. We have to see how good the 3rd piece is before we judge it.

I think both Verdugo and Downs can be solid players for the Red Sox. Probably not superstar talents, but Verdugo was on pace for a 4-5 WAR season before he got hurt I believe.

Graterol could be a good high-leverage reliever, but I have zero confidence he could hold up as a starter. You don't accrue a ton of WAR as a reliever, but they do have a ton of value in the playoffs and at the trade deadline. I think I'd rather have Downs over Graterol, but it's close.


Yeah, this seems like a pretty clear upgrade for Boston. I wonder if Boston was kicking in less money in the original deal? Or maybe they just valued Graterol that much more than the industry (possibly because he's ready to contribute immediately)?
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2538
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 975
x 1501

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Bertz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 am



Weird. Well LAA goes back to being the most logical landing spot for Q.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27848
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9097
x 6048

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:35 am

If they’re still trying to move him, for some reason, I’d have quite a bit of interest in Stripling.

Also if they’re trying to shed money, a package of Pollock and Stripling would be something that interests me. Both would fit the roster well. Though obviously we’re crying poor too. Q or Charwood would likely have to be moved in a separate deal.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9283
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 903
x 915

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:03 am

Dodgers made out like bandits here IMO. Betts, Price, Graterol, a draft pick, plus they still have Pederson? That's nuts

Maeda's a great fit for Minnesota plus they got $10 million so giving up Graterol doesn't hurt too much, more the part that he ends up with the Dodgers that blows
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73344
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1538
x 3350

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Derwood » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:10 am

So I assume that the people here looking for ways to move Quintana are somehow comfortable with 40% of our rotation being Mills and Alzolay? Or is a big comeback from Chatwood somehow a thing?
0 x

User avatar
Gilby
All-Star
Posts: 4657
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:13 pm
Location: Des Moines
x 938
x 477

Re: Mookie Betts and David Price Traded to the Dodgers

Postby Gilby » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 am

Derwood wrote:So I assume that the people here looking for ways to move Quintana are somehow comfortable with 40% of our rotation being Mills and Alzolay? Or is a big comeback from Chatwood somehow a thing?


Of course not. It's about realizing the likely mandate of getting under the CBT threshold while being able to keep one of the best players in franchise history.
2 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests