Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:For someone like me who needs things explained, can anybody tell me why I'm supposed to like Margot? He doesn't seem to hit for average or power and doesn't get on base.
The sales pitch for Margot:
- He's entering his prime at 25, and his plate discipline(walk rate and O-Swing) took a step forward last year
- He has pedigree, entering 2017 he was a consensus Top 25 overall prospect and had made it through AAA
- Theo's red sox signed him out of the DR (I suspect this is mostly trivia, but it doesn't hurt)
- He's a strong defender, career +6 UZR and +9 DRS
- He's very capable against LHP, .331 wOBA career and .383 last year
- As a Padre, you can dream that on a different team where he's not playing 100 games in Petco + ATT + Dodger Stadium, he'll be in a greater position to succeed
- He did well enough last year that you can at least see the good version of Almora as a likely floor, but not so well that he's likely to command a ransom in trade
- He makes above average contact, which balances the roster slightly
There's probably some other nuanced points to make(like he's strangely not great on fastballs, which could be construed as an inability to make the leap or an easier mechanical/approach fix than picking up sliders), but that's the long and short of it.