2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

d_money
All-Star
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm
x 91

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby d_money » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:50 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:The fact that you are all drooling over kitchen scraps means the Ricketts are winning


Can you go like a day without this unique brand of insufferable hot takery, or is “post through it” on your family crest or something

He can’t. He’s miserable.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45826
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 82
x 2811
Contact:

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Tim » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 am

Out of today's non-tenders, I'd be interested in:

Taijuan Walker \
Kevin Gausman - Any of them that will sign a one year pillow contract (or friendly contract) to re-establish value
Blake Treinen /

Cesar Hernandez - compete for the second base job / play solid bench role

James Hoyt - I think he'd be a great minor league signing. He's old but has been pretty reliable when given chances

Ryan Buchter - a solid lefty option for the pen

Jimmy Nelson - he sucked when he came back last year, but could be worth a spot

Steven Souza - sure, why not
Kevin Pillar - probably not with Almora still around
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72502
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1450
x 3151

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:15 am

d_money wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:The fact that you are all drooling over kitchen scraps means the Ricketts are winning


Can you go like a day without this unique brand of insufferable hot takery, or is “post through it” on your family crest or something

He can’t. He’s miserable.


Nah, just having trouble getting excited about other teams' cast offs. If you're excited about an off season that may include trading our star third baseman and signing some reclamation projects, go nuts
1 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56873
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 572
x 7475

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:14 am

Derwood wrote:
d_money wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Can you go like a day without this unique brand of insufferable hot takery, or is “post through it” on your family crest or something

He can’t. He’s miserable.


Nah, just having trouble getting excited about other teams' cast offs. If you're excited about an off season that may include trading our star third baseman and signing some reclamation projects, go nuts



No one asked you to. No one is trying to say Kevin Gausman is better than signing Gerrit Cole, we don’t need a reverse RIGBY every time the transaction forum discusses moves that take into account likely reality. We especially don’t need the implication that people are suckers for discussing the news of the day.
9 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72502
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1450
x 3151

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:15 am

We also don't need 200 posts a day from Tom, live-posting his every thought on every player in the league every 2 minutes, but here we are
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56873
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 572
x 7475

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:44 am



Gregorius would solve a lot of problems at once. LH second base option that is good enough to start and can be platooned if not, makes decent contact, serves as the backup SS. Only thing missing is that he doesn’t get on base enough to hit at the top of the order, even against RHP. Fangraphs crowdsources his contract at 4/60, which seems crazy given his 2019, but with Moustakas getting 4/64 it’s hard to argue he’s that much worse a value, and that price could be prohibitive.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8641
x 5920

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:51 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Gregorius would solve a lot of problems at once. LH second base option that is good enough to start and can be platooned if not, makes decent contact, serves as the backup SS. Only thing missing is that he doesn’t get on base enough to hit at the top of the order, even against RHP. Fangraphs crowdsources his contract at 4/60, which seems crazy given his 2019, but with Moustakas getting 4/64 it’s hard to argue he’s that much worse a value, and that price could be prohibitive.

I like the fit, in theory, but yeah at around the Moustakas contract there’s probably better ways to build out the team with the money it will take (sounds like enough teams are in on him he very well could exceed Moustakas money). The $17-20 aav gets you Akiyama and Cesar, and maybe even an RP for example. Or some other combination of 2-3 guys who project to probably be around as good (steamer has Didi at 2.5 WAR for next year).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6020
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:05 am
Location: Denver, CO
x 6001
x 2533

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:53 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Derwood wrote:
d_money wrote:He can’t. He’s miserable.


Nah, just having trouble getting excited about other teams' cast offs. If you're excited about an off season that may include trading our star third baseman and signing some reclamation projects, go nuts



No one asked you to. No one is trying to say Kevin Gausman is better than signing Gerrit Cole, we don’t need a reverse RIGBY every time the transaction forum discusses moves that take into account likely reality. We especially don’t need the implication that people are suckers for discussing the news of the day.

Image
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 809
x 1197

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:19 am

The team could probably do:

- Willson traded for a few young live ML arms
- Willson backfilled via FA (Castro/Avila)
- Didi at 2B
- A RH bench OF (Souza/Pillar)
- A FA reliever (Treinen/Harris)

For less than $30M. I could get behind that offseason, especially if they managed a Javy extension in there as well. CF is left unsettled, but with 2B very settled you can throw both Nico and Happ at the position, and I would feel very good about one of them managing to run with it.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56873
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 572
x 7475

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:09 am

TIL Souza bats right handed, if you had given me 3 guesses my first 2 would’ve been that he was a lefty.

Speaking of RH OF, the more I look around at the options, the more I really want them to pry Margot away from SD. Upside, defense, fits well with LH OF already here, and paves the way to punt Almora to the moon.
1 x

User avatar
CubsWin
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7320
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:25 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
x 222
x 524

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby CubsWin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:55 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:TIL Souza bats right handed, if you had given me 3 guesses my first 2 would’ve been that he was a lefty.

Speaking of RH OF, the more I look around at the options, the more I really want them to pry Margot away from SD. Upside, defense, fits well with LH OF already here, and paves the way to punt Almora to the moon.

What do you think it would take to get him, TT?
0 x
”I do sincerely hope the Cubs win a World Series. After I die.” - Jerry Reinsdorf, January, 2015. Sorry you had to witness that, Jer...

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8641
x 5920

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:TIL Souza bats right handed, if you had given me 3 guesses my first 2 would’ve been that he was a lefty.

Speaking of RH OF, the more I look around at the options, the more I really want them to pry Margot away from SD. Upside, defense, fits well with LH OF already here, and paves the way to punt Almora to the moon.

Margot has always been on the top of the list for me for CF targets this offseason. Morosi or Heyman or one of the national guys said the Padres would be interested in Pillar. So if they get him you’d think Margot is available. Their infield is a little thin, something around Bote could make sense. Then bring in a Cesar, Holt, etc as a MIF and could still potentially bring in Akiyama.

Edit:

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8679
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 787
x 837

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm for Gregorious compared to the rest of the FA position player crowd not named Rendon. A 6'3" LHH starting MIFer with power, contact, and some interesting periphs (higher EVs, more flyballs, career high BB rate in 2018, very low BABIPs) over the past two seasons that maybe lend to optimism there's another gear. He's also a little younger and a waaaaaay better defender than most comparable FAs. Wish he walked more all the time but at least his highs were recent and there's an intriguing mix behind it...I'm all for flawed high upside plays this offseason and his is probably higher than any of the non-Rendon everyday FAs...I'm biased, seent Gregorious alot the past two years and convinced he's a first division starter, fan favorite and clubhouse guy too...OTOH not exactly in a rush to sign him and he might be one of those guys still around after the new year anyway

And yeah pretty locked in on Margot...Falls perfectly into that bucket of players like Gregorious who maybe don't have the offensive certainty but obvious upside and is an easy fit otherwise thanks to his other skills...Underrated part of why this team got boring is the collapse of the defense, a top shelf defensive CF like Margot might go a really long way
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8641
x 5920

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:19 pm

The Chicago Cubs have been, according to various executives, "aggressive," "manic," "motivated" and "obvious" in their desire to trade someone. Or someones. The Cubs are going to make a move. They're just not sure what yet.


0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 809
x 1197

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Passan's last line is interesting too:

The Cubs know they need to be creative. They also know the first move they make is perhaps the most important and will set the tone for their winter.


I think it has always made sense logically, but also good to know that the big trade is going to kick off the winter. Probably means we'll see it before the end of the Winter Meetings next week.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 80444
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3332
x 5232
Contact:

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Manic is not really a word I'd like being tossed around about the Cubs FO.

I have believed that we should probably shake up the core a bit this offseason, but I also don't want to do it just for the sake of doing it. I just believed that this is where we could get the most value back to hopefully improve the team.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56873
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 572
x 7475

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:41 pm

CubsWin wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:TIL Souza bats right handed, if you had given me 3 guesses my first 2 would’ve been that he was a lefty.

Speaking of RH OF, the more I look around at the options, the more I really want them to pry Margot away from SD. Upside, defense, fits well with LH OF already here, and paves the way to punt Almora to the moon.

What do you think it would take to get him, TT?


I don't have a great feel for it. If you want to be optimistic, Margot has now had 3 full seasons without getting all the way across the line to 2 fWAR, so it's easy to envision the Padres seeing this as his level and being ready to move on. They also have a zillion outfielders so they aren't really creating a huge hole by doing so. On the other hand, a functional position player with 3 years of control and entering prime years isn't nothing, and the Padres are shifting to a competitive stage so any trade will have to 'hurt' in terms of taking players from the MLB team's orbit.

The one I've been coming back to the last couple days is the basic framework of Quintana for Margot. On the Cubs end, it fits a lot of what the outward narrative has been about their intent. It's a shake up as it creates more innings to be filled without an immediate solution on the roster, which will force them to rely more on the revamped pitching infrastructure to fill those innings since they aren't going to be bringing in Cole/Strasburg. Margot himself and the pitchers they get to replace Quintana increase the years of control they'll have on the roster, hopefully extending the window. Margot also makes a bit more contact than lots of the roster, although he's no Altuve. From the Padres perspective, Quintana adds durability and stability to a rotation that already has youth(Paddock, Lucchesi) and upside(Richards, Lamet) options. Maybe he's a bit redundant with Davies or they want to aim higher if they add another SP, but it's not a huge stretch to see Quintana as a good fit. Margot isn't so high a price to pay and Quintana not so expensive that it ruins the rest of their offseason plans either.
2 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84072
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14870
x 17290

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:13 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Manic is not really a word I'd like being tossed around about the Cubs FO.


Bringing back greenies is the new market inefficiency.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 809
x 1197

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
CubsWin wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:TIL Souza bats right handed, if you had given me 3 guesses my first 2 would’ve been that he was a lefty.

Speaking of RH OF, the more I look around at the options, the more I really want them to pry Margot away from SD. Upside, defense, fits well with LH OF already here, and paves the way to punt Almora to the moon.

What do you think it would take to get him, TT?


I don't have a great feel for it. If you want to be optimistic, Margot has now had 3 full seasons without getting all the way across the line to 2 fWAR, so it's easy to envision the Padres seeing this as his level and being ready to move on. They also have a zillion outfielders so they aren't really creating a huge hole by doing so. On the other hand, a functional position player with 3 years of control and entering prime years isn't nothing, and the Padres are shifting to a competitive stage so any trade will have to 'hurt' in terms of taking players from the MLB team's orbit.

The one I've been coming back to the last couple days is the basic framework of Quintana for Margot. On the Cubs end, it fits a lot of what the outward narrative has been about their intent. It's a shake up as it creates more innings to be filled without an immediate solution on the roster, which will force them to rely more on the revamped pitching infrastructure to fill those innings since they aren't going to be bringing in Cole/Strasburg. Margot himself and the pitchers they get to replace Quintana increase the years of control they'll have on the roster, hopefully extending the window. Margot also makes a bit more contact than lots of the roster, although he's no Altuve. From the Padres perspective, Quintana adds durability and stability to a rotation that already has youth(Paddock, Lucchesi) and upside(Richards, Lamet) options. Maybe he's a bit redundant with Davies or they want to aim higher if they add another SP, but it's not a huge stretch to see Quintana as a good fit. Margot isn't so high a price to pay and Quintana not so expensive that it ruins the rest of their offseason plans either.


The Padres in general are a very good fit this winter, and I would be surprised if our offseason doesn't run through them at least briefly. They're generally a very good fit for Q, Willson, or Happ, and we're likewise a very good fit for Margot, young pitching, and (likely) one of their catchers.

The pitching is the most exciting part. If any team has young pitching they could consider "expendable," it's them. They could give up a Quantrill or a Morejon and still have 6-7 guys they'd happily feature in their rotation. They could give up a Munoz or a Strahm and still have 3-4 high leverage relievers. And they have guys up and down the quality spectrum too, so it could be a small Bote deal just as easy as a larger Contreras deal.
2 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8679
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 787
x 837

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 pm



Nothing against Wheeler, I hope he crushes it during his next contract and yeah sure he's a talent, but the contract rumors sound very Darvish-y which only makes me more very very happy Darvish is a Cub. If you put these two's baseball resumes next to each other there's no contest who you'd want more between the two
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 809
x 1197

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:20 pm



I really liked Nick, though I question the dominoes that would need to fall for his fit on the team to not be very awkward
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 72502
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1450
x 3151

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:23 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/statuses/1201984347097763840

I really liked Nick, though I question the dominoes that would need to fall for his fit on the team to not be very awkward


For all the talk of how bad his defense is, can anyone remember games/moments where the Cubs were really hurt by it? I know that there were balls he didn't get to that other OF's may have, but I don't recall embarrassing levels of play from him
0 x

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35181
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2368
x 2795

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Manic is exactly what I want to hear. Trades just for the sake of making trades. Stop being boring. Gut that roster.

Image
2 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2117
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 809
x 1197

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:33 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/statuses/1201984347097763840

I really liked Nick, though I question the dominoes that would need to fall for his fit on the team to not be very awkward


For all the talk of how bad his defense is, can anyone remember games/moments where the Cubs were really hurt by it? I know that there were balls he didn't get to that other OF's may have, but I don't recall embarrassing levels of play from him


For me it's less about Nick's defense, which I think is below average but ultimately fine, and more the cumulative effect on the outfield. Schwarber in left, Heyward in center, and Nick in right are each individually okay, but cumulatively it could lead to some real problems. Not to mention Happ as the primary backup.
1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27402
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8641
x 5920

Re: 2019-20 Offseason Rumors/General Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Bertz wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/BleacherNation/statuses/1201984347097763840

I really liked Nick, though I question the dominoes that would need to fall for his fit on the team to not be very awkward


For all the talk of how bad his defense is, can anyone remember games/moments where the Cubs were really hurt by it? I know that there were balls he didn't get to that other OF's may have, but I don't recall embarrassing levels of play from him


For me it's less about Nick's defense, which I think is below average but ultimately fine, and more the cumulative effect on the outfield. Schwarber in left, Heyward in center, and Nick in right are each individually okay, but cumulatively it could lead to some real problems. Not to mention Happ as the primary backup.

Yup. The sum of the parts could be quite ugly, I think you could still make a Schwarbs/Heyward/Nick OF work to the point of it not killing you but we’d have to bring in a Billy Hamilton type to throw in to CF like every game we got a lead in the 6/7 innings and we’d also have to get back to shifting a lot and be good at it.

There’s also the part where Nick very well may take up almost all the available money we have to spend this offseason and there’s plenty more holes to fill. It was discussed yesterday, but Souza could be a nice alternative to Nick if he’s healthy and he’s probably only going to cost $3-6 mil for 1 year to re-establish his value.
0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests