Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

The_Achiever
All-Star

Re: Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

Postby The_Achiever » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:I'm rooting for this to happen only because I'm a ghoul who is entertained by misery. The fact that the actual Cubs are actually wanting to do it is hilarious.

Yeah, Kris Bryant was the biggest grown-up in the room when his service time was being effed with. I know any team would have done the same but he rightfully is suspect of the Cubs and has to be looking at his impeding free agency as a time to get top dollar.

I love the guy, but the Cubs ownership and front office are the bad guys and he owes them less than nothing.
3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 pm

0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:feel like Trea Turner would make a lot of sense for the Cubs - excellent contact, speed, and creates a dynamic up the middle defense with him and Javy.

This would at least be interesting as a type of challenge trade. Turner at 2B putting up a .350 wOBA and above average defense is about a 4.5 win player(or basically Ozzie Albies), and he fixes some current roster holes. And with Kieboom about ready you could at least squint and see the justification for it from Washington's perspective.

i would think they'd be much more inclined to give up Kieboom
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Are teams more likely to throw money at Rendon/Donaldson, or trade for Bryant? Is Bryant's trade market going to wait for other 3B to sign first?
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm

sneakypower wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:feel like Trea Turner would make a lot of sense for the Cubs - excellent contact, speed, and creates a dynamic up the middle defense with him and Javy.

This would at least be interesting as a type of challenge trade. Turner at 2B putting up a .350 wOBA and above average defense is about a 4.5 win player(or basically Ozzie Albies), and he fixes some current roster holes. And with Kieboom about ready you could at least squint and see the justification for it from Washington's perspective.

i would think they'd be much more inclined to give up Kieboom

Yeah, the Nats are all in after that Stras signing. They aren't going to trade a major mlb piece to add Bryant. I wonder if Robles is available, because outside Robles and Kieboom I dont have a ton of interest. Maybe Rutledge, but Crow,Garcia and Denaburg don't do much. If Romero could get his attitude fixed I'd love to have him as a tertiary piece.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:20 pm

The only Bryant trade that I can see myself being happy with leads to acquiring Betts, Lindor, or whatever the current equivalent to Gerrit Cole when he was traded by the Pirates is.
1 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Brian wrote:The only Bryant trade that I can see myself being happy with leads to acquiring Betts, Lindor, or whatever the current equivalent to Gerrit Cole when he was traded by the Pirates is.

Unless we're doctoring the ball like Houston is, I don't think a Cole/Pirates type would even be acceptable. Cole was basically league average his last 2 years in Pittsburgh.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Just for fun, some packages I'd like to see which focus on 2021+

PHI: Haseley,Bohm,Howard
LAD: May+Downs
WSH: Kieboom,Rutledge,Romero
ATL: Fried, Wright/Wilson
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:27 pm

I'll say I'm less offended by the idea of trading KB than I am about getting under the luxury tax. If the FO wants to trade KB and Willson and still run a ~$240M payroll via short term FA's and extensions (Javy and Rizzo?) I can understand that thought process. I would likely disagree with it, but I get it. It's a step back in 2020 to significantly improve the long term health of the roster. But trading KB to cut payroll forces a huge step backward this year for nothing more than lining PTR's pockets. Just incredibly gross.
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Derwood wrote:Are teams more likely to throw money at Rendon/Donaldson, or trade for Bryant? Is Bryant's trade market going to wait for other 3B to sign first?

A lost less risk in trading for Bryant. You don't have the years of control, but you also don't spend near as much money and are getting prime years without fear of sudden age related decline.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 pm

3 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Tryptamine wrote:Just for fun, some packages I'd like to see which focus on 2021+

i don't know any of these names lol
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:43 pm

sneakypower wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:Just for fun, some packages I'd like to see which focus on 2021+

Worse is that ten years from now you might pick up one, maybe the other two in a "wtf was my life then" scenario
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:45 pm

sneakypower wrote:

Just do what we all did in 2012-2014, google their prospect rankings.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Bertz wrote:I'll say I'm less offended by the idea of trading KB than I am about getting under the luxury tax. If the FO wants to trade KB and Willson and still run a ~$240M payroll via short term FA's and extensions (Javy and Rizzo?) I can understand that thought process. I would likely disagree with it, but I get it. It's a step back in 2020 to significantly improve the long term health of the roster. But trading KB to cut payroll forces a huge step backward this year for nothing more than lining PTR's pockets. Just incredibly gross.

Trading Kris Bryant to extend Javier Baez is not giving a damn about the long term health of the roster (at least as far as being WS tier competitive is concerned). Extending Baez after multiple slaps in the face is just pandering to whatever fanbase is left, he's a great player and Cub but when a .330 OBP would be career high for the team MVP that team is screwed
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm not enamored with trading Bryant. However, if a trade actually does go down, you have to trust Theo that (a) there was little chance of Bryant resigning based on contract negotiations up to this point, and (b) there's something in Bryant's profile indicating a decline. We already know that a player's prime is younger than it used to be, and he'll be 28 on Opening Day. In addition, his xBA and hard-hit rate have declined for three straight seasons (his hard-hit rate is now in the bottom 25% of all major league hitters). There may be good reasons to trade him now (getting below the luxury tax is obviously not one of them).
2 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:34 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'll say I'm less offended by the idea of trading KB than I am about getting under the luxury tax. If the FO wants to trade KB and Willson and still run a ~$240M payroll via short term FA's and extensions (Javy and Rizzo?) I can understand that thought process. I would likely disagree with it, but I get it. It's a step back in 2020 to significantly improve the long term health of the roster. But trading KB to cut payroll forces a huge step backward this year for nothing more than lining PTR's pockets. Just incredibly gross.

Trading Kris Bryant to extend Javier Baez is not giving a damn about the long term health of the roster (at least as far as being WS tier competitive is concerned). Extending Baez after multiple slaps in the face is just pandering to whatever fanbase is left, he's a great player and Cub but when a .330 OBP would be career high for the team MVP that team is screwed

Team MVP?! He was runner up in the NL for the MVP vote with a .326 OBP. Take your stat cherry-picking and gtfo. You talk bad about my boy again and I'll cut you.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:41 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Team MVP?! He was runner up in the NL for the MVP vote with a .326 OBP. Take your stat cherry-picking and gtfo. You talk bad about my boy again and I'll cut you.

Yeah for his RBIs! RBIs!
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:44 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Team MVP?! He was runner up in the NL for the MVP vote with a .326 OBP. Take your stat cherry-picking and gtfo. You talk bad about my boy again and I'll cut you.

Yeah for his RBIs! RBIs!

...he had 5 WAR
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:46 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Yeah for his RBIs! RBIs!

...he had 5 WAR

What is that good for?
8 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 pm

2nd place
1 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:58 pm

The best part of trading KB is that Tom will finally quit the board for good. That's the deal, right?
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:20 pm

trying to build a ten-year contention window or whatever is almost always a complete failure and I get sick of teams attempting to draw out a window rather than cashing in on one. Trading Kris Bryant now so you can hope to be better position in 2021 is most likely going to end with 85 wins in 2019 and 85 wins in 2021.
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:24 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:Trading Kris Bryant now so you can hope to be better position in 2021 is most likely going to end with 85 wins in 2019

I will take the under, please.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:25 pm

big ball chunky time wrote:trying to build a ten-year contention window or whatever is almost always a complete failure and I get sick of teams attempting to draw out a window rather than cashing in on one. Trading Kris Bryant now so you can hope to be better position in 2021 is most likely going to end with 85 wins in 2019 and 85 wins in 2021.

Yep, the way I see it, we have 2020 and 2021. Whoever has built up enough goodwill by then, sure, do the whole lifetime Cub thing. But we've got a very old pitching staff that still projects as effective, and a bunch of hitters in their late 20s that are not quite expensive, but about to become real expensive. Go make sure we get to October the next two years.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”