Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

Named After Maddux
Starter

Re: Potential Kris Bryant trade thread

Postby Named After Maddux » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:53 pm

There's a lot of caveats here (not sure about this guy's legitimacy, if this is legit who this came from, names listed are only the first or second player targeted etc), but presented on the slim chance this is anything:

This guy was at MLB Winter Meetings (that doesn't necessarily mean anything since my Dad and I went last year) so maybe he has some connections. He has 1200 followers, not verified though.

So this looks like:
Bohm + N (Guessing Neris not Nola for obvious reasons). If It's "M", then likely Medina
India
Toro + Hernandez (?); I can't find a "Hernandez", which is one of the reasons I'm skeptical. Unless the intern writing didn't realize it was "Alvarez".
Robert (certainly higher ceiling than others, but wouldn't understand why this would be ranked lower if this is a ranking)
Adell (same thing as Robert)
... "ire" (heck if I know)

Overall if legit, I'm not impressed. I'm already in the camp of don't trade KB, but unless they get huge returns from ATL, LAD, WAS, PHI I'm not likely to look forward to the return. Adell and Robert do have the ceiling you'd like to see, but need a controllable SP to come back too.
0 x

Splendid Splinter
All-Star

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Last one is Casey Mize. It's ize, not ire.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:22 am

How do you even get that picture? Not that it's not fun to speculate, but you need a situation where Theo Epstein is at the Winter Meetings sitting somewhere accessible to the public looking at a handwritten list of names to trade for
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 am

That guy is basically just Charles The Cat. No way that’s real, at least more effort than anything the cat has ever put in to a lie/dot connecting to write down names on loose leaf and lie about it like that.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:30 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:How do you even get that picture? Not that it's not fun to speculate, but you need a situation where Theo Epstein is at the Winter Meetings sitting somewhere accessible to the public looking at a handwritten list of names to trade for

I thought the implication is that the source created the list based on info they know, not that the source is sneaking photos of a piece of paper Theo happened to write his wish list on.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:36 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I thought the implication is that the source created the list based on info they know, not that the source is sneaking photos of a piece of paper Theo happened to write his wish list on.

Oooh, that makes more sense
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 am

That list doesn't make any sense at all. There is an enormous gulf between some of those guy's value. Toro is not in the same league as the rest. By the way, Toro-Hernandez is the name of one guy.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:53 am

Tryptamine wrote:That list doesn't make any sense at all. There is an enormous gulf between some of those guy's value. Toro is not in the same league as the rest. By the way, Toro-Hernandez is the name of one guy.

Yup, Abraham Toro on fangraphs if anyone cares to look in to him.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:04 am

Tryptamine wrote:That list doesn't make any sense at all. There is an enormous gulf between some of those guy's value. Toro is not in the same league as the rest. By the way, Toro-Hernandez is the name of one guy.

*face palm* that’s right. I completely forgot his full name was Abraham Toro-Hernandez. That makes more sense.

Still I can’t put much stock in this. The names don’t match the suitors we’ve heard for Bryant outside of Philly. Even if it wasn’t directly fabricated by this guy it feels more like what someone in the industry felt might be what the Cubs are looking for via scuttlebutt.

I mean Detroit is about as bad of an example of a team targeting Bryant as there could be. So yes I’m sure the Cubs would like Mize in a vacuum, but Detroit is far more likely to sell off further than go all in for the next two seasons.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:55 am

With the Indians raising the white flag, the only acceptable option is becoming more possible, get a 3rd team and get Lindor
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Brian wrote:With the Indians raising the white flag, the only acceptable option is becoming more possible, get a 3rd team and get Lindor

I'm not sure they're raising the white flag: from MLBTR
Indians Interested In Cesar Hernandez
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:There's a lot of caveats here (not sure about this guy's legitimacy, if this is legit who this came from, names listed are only the first or second player targeted etc), but presented on the slim chance this is anything:

This guy was at MLB Winter Meetings (that doesn't necessarily mean anything since my Dad and I went last year) so maybe he has some connections. He has 1200 followers, not verified though.

So this looks like:
Bohm + N (Guessing Neris not Nola for obvious reasons). If It's "M", then likely Medina
India
Toro + Hernandez (?); I can't find a "Hernandez", which is one of the reasons I'm skeptical. Unless the intern writing didn't realize it was "Alvarez".
Robert (certainly higher ceiling than others, but wouldn't understand why this would be ranked lower if this is a ranking)
Adell (same thing as Robert)
... "ire" (heck if I know)

Overall if legit, I'm not impressed. I'm already in the camp of don't trade KB, but unless they get huge returns from ATL, LAD, WAS, PHI I'm not likely to look forward to the return. Adell and Robert do have the ceiling you'd like to see, but need a controllable SP to come back too.

Unfortunately, Adell and Robert are probably viewed as more valuable than Bryant on their own at this point.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:13 pm

the 2-3 arrow is freaking me out a little bit, as if that's indicative of a concerted type of ordering there
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:09 pm

I remain completely and entirely baffled by the idea of looking at our current roster, which could, on the whole, be generously described as 'just past their peak', seeing pretty much no high impact talent anywhere in our system, and looking at the contract situation where our entire line up is a free agent or up for a big raise in two years, and thinking the best path to success here is to replace our best player with someone who, if things go perfectly right, will peak in about 2023.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:51 pm

squally1313 wrote:I remain completely and entirely baffled by the idea of looking at our current roster, which could, on the whole, be generously described as 'just past their peak', seeing pretty much no high impact talent anywhere in our system, and looking at the contract situation where our entire line up is a free agent or up for a big raise in two years, and thinking the best path to success here is to replace our best player with someone who, if things go perfectly right, will peak in about 2023.

5 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:46 pm

From someone who put his feelings into words a lot better than me:

And again, this is all horsefeathers, a word that’s becoming synonymous with everything Cubs right now. The Cubs aren’t trading Bryant because they think it improves anything, short-term or long. It’s because they don’t want to pay him what he will earn in two years, and they don’t even want to pay him what he will get this year in arbitration. It’s not a “strategy.” It’s simple greed. The new buildings are up, the luxury suites are in, and Ricketts doesn’t have to do much to watch the money flow in. So he’s not going to.

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/my-brian ... -to-spare/
4 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm

squally1313 wrote:From someone who put his feelings into words a lot better than me:

And again, this is all horsefeathers, a word that’s becoming synonymous with everything Cubs right now. The Cubs aren’t trading Bryant because they think it improves anything, short-term or long. It’s because they don’t want to pay him what he will earn in two years, and they don’t even want to pay him what he will get this year in arbitration. It’s not a “strategy.” It’s simple greed. The new buildings are up, the luxury suites are in, and Ricketts doesn’t have to do much to watch the money flow in. So he’s not going to.

Yeah this is the thing that needs to be said over and over again regardless of which side of this discussion you're on. Given the implied constraints on payroll, I personally view trading KB as a best path forward. But these constraints are completley artificial and this entire discussion is premised on a false choice put forth by the team's ghoulish owners.
1 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:09 pm

squally1313 wrote:I remain completely and entirely baffled by the idea of looking at our current roster, which could, on the whole, be generously described as 'just past their peak', seeing pretty much no high impact talent anywhere in our system, and looking at the contract situation where our entire line up is a free agent or up for a big raise in two years, and thinking the best path to success here is to replace our best player with someone who, if things go perfectly right, will peak in about 2023.

It really comes down to whether you want to maximize the chances for a championship over the next 2 years and then do a rebuild or try to smooth that transition. Theo has chosen the latter, although he’s basically been forced to since ownership has shown no willingness to increase payroll enough to go all out.
0 x

Marlin Bystro
bench player

Postby Marlin Bystro » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:38 pm

squally1313 wrote:From someone who put his feelings into words a lot better than me:

Yes....Ricketts wants the Cubs underneath the lux tax. That's what is driving this. Very frustrating.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Marlin Bystro wrote:

Yes....Ricketts wants the Cubs underneath the lux tax. That's what is driving this. Very frustrating.

I agree with you, but not the post you quoted.
Teams have decided to treat the luxury tax as a salary cap. I think Ricketts is doing what he’s told.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Bull wrote:
Marlin Bystro wrote:

I agree with you, but not the post you quoted.
Teams have decided to treat the luxury tax as a salary cap. I think Ricketts is doing what he’s told.

By....who? Who do you think is in charge here?
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:32 pm

poor guy, just wants to sign big checks but the bean counters are telling him he can't
3 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:12 am

Honestly, with the way the pitching market has fallen ... I keep thinking that, if the goal is to get under ... that there might be a chance we could move Darvish. Angels still have a boatload of money to spend, still haven't upgraded the rotation, and the remaining money on Darvish's deal isn't that bad (4/81). No idea what 12 teams he has on his no-trade, though, but that said, it's a west coast club that was reportedly in on him when he was a FA. Instead of paying the money down (if the goal is to lose money), maybe you couple that with a Willson Contreras and see if the Angels would fork over some sort of Brandon Marsh-led package. In my mind, it makes some sense for both sides.

_______

I just have a hard seeing the White Sox move Luis Robert in any deal. In general, I still doubt any team would fork over an elite prospect for a one year gamble. Two years would be a different issue. About the only team that I could see get that desperate might be the Phillies.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 am

toonsterwu wrote:Honestly, with the way the pitching market has fallen ... I keep thinking that, if the goal is to get under ... that there might be a chance we could move Darvish. Angels still have a boatload of money to spend, still haven't upgraded the rotation, and the remaining money on Darvish's deal isn't that bad (4/81). No idea what 12 teams he has on his no-trade, though, but that said, it's a west coast club that was reportedly in on him when he was a FA. Instead of paying the money down (if the goal is to lose money), maybe you couple that with a Willson Contreras and see if the Angels would fork over some sort of Brandon Marsh-led package. In my mind, it makes some sense for both sides.

If the goal is just to get under, which if that’s the case a full rebuild and tear down should be on the table, but if it’s just for this year and greener pastures and actual spending can happen next year why not just move Q and attach a prospect to Chatwood and/or Kimbrel and be done with it? That allows everything to stay in tact for next year if we can actually spend and reload vs some half measure stuff of moving our best or 2nd best pitcher in Yu but still trying to win.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 am

If the only goal is getting under, then yeah, that could work.

If getting under is only one goal ... and there are secondary goals (like staying competitive next year, rebuilding the system a bit, cleaning up the sheets for the future a bit), then things are slightly different (deleted original comments totally misread quintana contract last night.)
Last edited by toonsterwu on Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”