2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Only a few weeks away and it looks like we should be in position to buy somewhat. Bullpen should be number 1 area to add and there will be guys there. But finding someone who can hit lefties seems to be a need to as we seem a bat or two short vs them. Pillar would do (a Pillar-Workman trade would help cover some deficiencies and shouldn’t cost a lot), but I’ll throw out a complete long shot name...... JD Martinez, with the DH he could has a spot here and crushes lefties and likely will opt out in to FA in the offseason ($19 million option). Figure it out Theo.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Only a few weeks away and it looks like we should be in position to buy somewhat. Bullpen should be number 1 area to add and there will be guys there. But finding someone who can hit lefties seems to be a need to as we seem a bat or two short vs them. Pillar would do (a Pillar-Workman trade would help cover some deficiencies and shouldn’t cost a lot), but I’ll throw out a complete long shot name...... JD Martinez, with the DH he could has a spot here and crushes lefties and likely will opt out in to FA in the offseason ($19 million option). Figure it out Theo.

It's kind of hard to determine whether someone will opt in or out at this point isn't it? Mookie Betts' contract certainly suggests we could see contract offers at least somewhat in a normal range, but obviously he is a young elite talent while JD Martinez would be heading into FA at 33 during a pandemic that may or may not be worse in November. All this to say, who knows if PTR would allow this if there was even a chance he would opt in. We do lose Lester (most likely), Quintana and Chatwood from the books but obviously that's 3 SPs so I'd expect any offseason focus to be on adding pitchers.
0 x
Win it for Fred

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm

Anyone like Rosenthal? His stuff looked pretty nice last night despite the HR given up. Easy 98-99 with a sharp breaking ball. Knows the division and is getting familiar with the ALC now also.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Only a few weeks away and it looks like we should be in position to buy somewhat. Bullpen should be number 1 area to add and there will be guys there. But finding someone who can hit lefties seems to be a need to as we seem a bat or two short vs them. Pillar would do (a Pillar-Workman trade would help cover some deficiencies and shouldn’t cost a lot), but I’ll throw out a complete long shot name...... JD Martinez, with the DH he could has a spot here and crushes lefties and likely will opt out in to FA in the offseason ($19 million option). Figure it out Theo.

It's kind of hard to determine whether someone will opt in or out at this point isn't it? Mookie Betts' contract certainly suggests we could see contract offers at least somewhat in a normal range, but obviously he is a young elite talent while JD Martinez would be heading into FA at 33 during a pandemic that may or may not be worse in November. All this to say, who knows if PTR would allow this if there was even a chance he would opt in. We do lose Lester (most likely), Quintana and Chatwood from the books but obviously that's 3 SPs so I'd expect any offseason focus to be on adding pitchers.

Yeah I don’t have faith they’d take on the money/risk he opts in and I think they’re gonna clearly go under the LT next year. So doubt it, but he’d be a great addition to this lineup. Hopefully Mills remains looking like an option for next year. They should have ~$25 mil to spend and stay under the LT to fill SP spots and any other holes/do extensions.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:07 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Anyone like Rosenthal? His stuff looked pretty nice last night despite the HR given up. Easy 98-99 with a sharp breaking ball. Knows the division and is getting familiar with the ALC now also.

Rosenthal and Kennedy are two guys I wouldn’t mind. Seth Lugo is my top end bullpen target but don’t know what the Mets would want or if they sell to that degree.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Yeah I don’t have faith they’d take on the money/risk he opts in and I think they’re gonna clearly go under the LT next year. So doubt it, but he’d be a great addition to this lineup. Hopefully Mills remains looking like an option for next year. They should have ~$25 mil to spend and stay under the LT to fill SP spots and any other holes/do extensions.

Do they need to stay under the luxury tax next year to avoid bad penalties? I'd hate to think that the last year with all of Javy, Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber would be a 'stay under the luxury tax' season, but then again who knows if all 4 will be here Opening Day 2021. Maybe if they get JD Martinez and he opts in they find a home for Schwarber or something.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 pm

I'd take that $19 million if I were Martinez

Trade Quintana, hope the Indians get buried in the next 2-3 weeks
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

Do they need to stay under the luxury tax next year to avoid bad penalties? I'd hate to think that the last year with all of Javy, Rizzo, Bryant and Schwarber would be a 'stay under the luxury tax' season, but then again who knows if all 4 will be here Opening Day 2021. Maybe if they get JD Martinez and he opts in they find a home for Schwarber or something.

I think given the revenue hit this year, there's about a 0% chance they cross the LT line next year. Even if public data is off by a bit and they succeeded in resetting the tax this year, it just looks like way too convenient a line in the sand for that ghoul PTR to draw.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:31 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:

They don’t need to but I think they are going to. They’d be third or 4th year repeaters if they don’t and that does bring decent penalties. Luckily they can still add a decent chunk of money with the money falling off and still stay under and the FA market is likely to be depressed with everyone crying poor.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:33 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I'd take that $19 million if I were Martinez

Trade Quintana, hope the Indians get buried in the next 2-3 weeks

I don’t get the trade Quintana talk. Moving him doesn’t get them under the LT this year, you always need pitching and he isn’t going to return much. He’s a useful pitcher to some capacity for us this year, whether it’s starting or in the pen. Personally I’d get him in the pen ASAP and not worry about him getting stretched out to be a starter once he feels he’s ready to throw in games. Let him build up in the pen/on the side then look at starting him or piggybacking him once he’s able to go 50-70+ pitches depending on matchups. It’s not like we couldn’t use some quality pitchers in the pen right now.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 pm

Fine, don't trade Quintana

I wouldn't do anything too dramatic if Cleveland is competing, Givens and Chafer are two rental arms that I like...Pillar and Workman make sense
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:54 am

I believe the LT hit for this season is based on planned salary not the prorated amounts, so trading Q should be good enough to get them under. If I could have reasonable assurance that it would positively impact next season's payroll, I'd 100% do it. I'm kinda skeptical it matters though.

Also, depending on how we're feeling about Hoerner at that point, I'd look to try to cash in Bote for his equivalent in the form of a pen arm. Someone young and still 4-5 years from FA.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:02 am

Bertz wrote:Also, depending on how we're feeling about Hoerner at that point, I'd look to try to cash in Bote for his equivalent in the form of a pen arm. Someone young and still 4-5 years from FA.

I'm not super dependent on Hoerner for this, just think trading Bote for the pitcher equivalent makes sense...He should get a WS ring though if traded this Summer

I see the appeal of trading Quintana, think even non-contender might give up an actual reliever for him, but the guys at CI mentioned only needing to shed like $5 million...Bote trade, Phegley and Descalso release?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:19 am

Thoughts on Niko Goodrum on the Tigers? Has starting experience at 2B, SS, and the whole OF...28, arb eligible this off-season, switch hitter, has some power, takes a walk, can start at 2B here...maybe grab Beau Burrows too for later
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:23 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Thoughts on Niko Goodrum on the Tigers? Has starting experience at 2B, SS, and the whole OF...28, arb eligible this off-season, switch hitter, has some power, takes a walk, can start at 2B here...maybe grab Beau Burrows too for later

I liked him a lot as a target last offseason/deadline. I’d be in. He also hits lefties better than righties. Career .836 OPS vs them, if we add a bat I want it to be a guy who boosts the lineup vs LHP since that’s where we seem a little short.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:43 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I liked him a lot as a target last offseason/deadline. I’d be in. He also hits lefties better than righties. Career .836 OPS vs them, if we add a bat I want it to be a guy who boosts the lineup vs LHP since that’s where we seem a little short.

Yeah, I'd be willing to give up some prospects weveheardof like Roederer and Morel, fill it out with guys like Weber/Verdugo/Vazquez, Huma, Nelson Velazquez, short season arms...
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:14 am

I’ve been wondering if Archie Bradley might be an available trade target. It’s too early to say the Diamondbacks are out of it, but they don’t have the easiest path to the playoffs. I don’t imagine they’re in sell mode, but maybe they’d be open to filling a hole on their own team. They have a .169/.229/.246 line (28 wRC+) from 3B and no obvious prospects in the pipeline. They signed Eduardo Escobar, but that’s not a huge barrier, especially for this year (and he’s only signed through ‘21).

Cubs get Bradley through ‘21
Diamondbacks get Bote under team control through ‘26
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:51 am

If we make a trade for this year I’m not including Bote unless it’s like a Lindor move and he’s one of the pieces. Certainly am not moving him for a reliever. With the DH he’s an important part of what we’re doing here, trading him for relief help doesn’t interest me. Especially for a guy like Bradley who’s been up and down.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:I’ve been wondering if Archie Bradley might be an available trade target. It’s too early to say the Diamondbacks are out of it, but they don’t have the easiest path to the playoffs. I don’t imagine they’re in sell mode, but maybe they’d be open to filling a hole on their own team. They have a .169/.229/.246 line (28 wRC+) from 3B and no obvious prospects in the pipeline. They signed Eduardo Escobar, but that’s not a huge barrier, especially for this year (and he’s only signed through ‘21).

Cubs get Bradley through ‘21
Diamondbacks get Bote under team control through ‘26

Broadly I like this idea. That said I think Bote is more valuable than Bradley. In a year where the balance could be made up with prospects that's an easy fix, but it might be tricky given current circumstances. I feel like the Bote/Bradley value gap is a top 10 in your system guy, but not quite a top 100 guy. Those are specifically the types of guys not at teams' alternate sites this year (and even guys at alternate sites would have to be scouted via video and Statcast rather than in person scouts).

I do wonder if we see lots of deals with PTBNLs this month, with the hope that there is an AFL 2.0 this year where teams can get looks at a broader range of guys.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:21 pm

I like Bradley, but if you're trading Bote for a reliever at this point they better be Bradley quality and have similar team control as Bote. More preferable is that if Bote is traded he's helping the rotation, a more expensive and consequential problem to ensure is solved for 2021 and beyond.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:33 pm

Agreed on liking Bradley but not really being interested in a Bote/Bradley swap right now. I tend to agree with using Bote for a SP type, probably after the season...I've been eyeing arms like Trent Thornton from the Jays
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:08 pm

enjoy reading tom's thoughts in this thread

"hm this team is looking to build for the future, let's trade them for a rental and uh, poach their future while we're at it"
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:12 pm

1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:57 pm

Alright, horsefeathers it. Red Sox about to be 6-13. Trade for JD and Workman. Give up Abbott and Roederer if you must.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 am

I'd love to get Dylan Bundy depending on what the Cubs get out of Quintana. He's showing improved command this year and throwing his hittable fastball a lot less.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”