2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6872
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 8
x 84

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:11 pm

What about Wilmer Flores? He's got a career .505 SLG/.227 IsoSLG/.824 OPS against LHP

I thought we should have signed him as a FA in 2019. Of course, we wouldn't have seen the amazing feats of Descalso, Kemp, Garcia, and Perez then.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:13 pm

Pivetta has the stuff and intrigue but he's been trash the last couple years. Seabold is a nice arm but nothing special. Interesting return there. Sox are desperate for anyone who can slot into the rotation apparently.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27702
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8942
x 5993

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Yeah I’ve always liked Pivetta. Wish we could’ve gotten him for cheap and sent him to the lab and maybe turn him in to a useful pitcher of some kind.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:55 pm

There are a lot of years when we know we have an impactful move or two in us. It’s just a matter of finding it and executing on it,” said Epstein in a quote provided by Dorsey. “This year, the moves might be more complimentary and there might be more internal solutions.”

....

“We’ve done some pretty big trades at the deadline most years, but the smaller moves where you get incrementally better in a couple of different areas, especially to address certain needs can make a big difference as well.”

....

“In the game overall, you might still see those big moves, if there’s a perfect match and one team’s long-term needs complement another team’s short-term needs, you may see a big trade. But there’s certainly obstacles to that industry-wide and in our situation.”

...

“Every team is going to be cognizant of who they’re bringing in and how responsible they would be and how much you can count on them. Also, if acquiring the player puts them in an untenable situation, it might be hard to acquire somebody who’s got a great setup with their family in a certain spot geographically. Then you’re going to pull them out of there and put them into a situation where they’re not set up to have stability or set up to have success. You have to weigh it from that end, too. Impact on our group and on the execution of the protocols, but then also impact on the individual and making sure you’re asking something realistic of somebody.”


https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/ ... plans.html
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Named After Maddux
Starter
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:03 am
x 127
x 71

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Named After Maddux » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Mike Mayers could be a complementary move for the pen who would also help with lefties. He’s a RHP, but added a 90 mph cutter this year. He dropped his 4 seam usage from over 50% to 35% while throwing his cutter 15%. His numbers are actually remarkably similar to Ryan Tepera and for a likely cheap price, I’d gladly add another Tepera to this pen.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27702
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8942
x 5993

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:39 pm

Named After Maddux wrote:Mike Mayers could be a complementary move for the pen who would also help with lefties. He’s a RHP, but added a 90 mph cutter this year. He dropped his 4 seam usage from over 50% to 35% while throwing his cutter 15%. His numbers are actually remarkably similar to Ryan Tepera and for a likely cheap price, I’d gladly add another Tepera to this pen.

Yeah I’d be intrigued if they think the pitch mix change is a real thing. Also Strasburg is done for the year and the Nats are 9-13. Any of Howie, Eaton or Asdrubal would be nice offense targets. Tanner Rainey as a RP target from them too.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:16 pm

Brock Holt was DFAd by the Brewers. I wanted him in the offseason and would rather him than Hernan Perez.
2 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27702
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8942
x 5993

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:36 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Brock Holt was DFAd by the Brewers. I wanted him in the offseason and would rather him than Hernan Perez.

I was just coming to post this exact thing. His splits neutral 90+ vs LHP and RHP and does the contact thing 80%+, I’d prefer him to Hernan.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 899
x 1346

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Bertz » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:47 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Named After Maddux wrote:Mike Mayers could be a complementary move for the pen who would also help with lefties. He’s a RHP, but added a 90 mph cutter this year. He dropped his 4 seam usage from over 50% to 35% while throwing his cutter 15%. His numbers are actually remarkably similar to Ryan Tepera and for a likely cheap price, I’d gladly add another Tepera to this pen.

Yeah I’d be intrigued if they think the pitch mix change is a real thing. Also Strasburg is done for the year and the Nats are 9-13. Any of Howie, Eaton or Asdrubal would be nice offense targets. Tanner Rainey as a RP target from them too.


Asdrubal Cabrera and a reliever makes way too much sense. Sean Doolittle is a pending FA and about to come off the IL, if he looks right his next few outings he'd be perfect.
0 x

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 195
x 269

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Named After Maddux wrote:Mike Mayers could be a complementary move for the pen who would also help with lefties. He’s a RHP, but added a 90 mph cutter this year. He dropped his 4 seam usage from over 50% to 35% while throwing his cutter 15%. His numbers are actually remarkably similar to Ryan Tepera and for a likely cheap price, I’d gladly add another Tepera to this pen.

Yeah I’d be intrigued if they think the pitch mix change is a real thing. Also Strasburg is done for the year and the Nats are 9-13. Any of Howie, Eaton or Asdrubal would be nice offense targets. Tanner Rainey as a RP target from them too.


Asdrubal Cabrera and a reliever makes way too much sense. Sean Doolittle is a pending FA and about to come off the IL, if he looks right his next few outings he'd be perfect.


Doolittle seems like a great person too, which is a nice bonus.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33301
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1051

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 pm

Doolittle is a good dude which is why he's ridiculously overrated by this forum. He wasn't good last year, has been absolutely awful this year, and is about to be 34 so there's no particular reason to think he's going to get any better.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:19 pm

0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
PackLandVA
All-Star
Posts: 2793
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:42 pm
Location: Baking in Southern Arizona
x 586
x 596

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby PackLandVA » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:36 am

Maybe the issue isn't who the Cubs should go after, but rather, who on the roster would other teams want?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:00 pm

Hunter Pence is available and he's hit lefties in his career :dontknow:
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Tony Watson seems like a guy we should've acquired by now.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:14 am

Probably a more dumb than usual hot take I don't really believe but in this moment I think this can team can win without Willson Contreras and would shop him this deadline...Same suspects as the offseason: Rays, A's, and Jays immediately come to mind. The Rays in particular still have a pretty easy fit with their MIF, CF, and reliever/P depth and the Jays could make an interesting offer probably
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57009
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 591
x 7592

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:08 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Probably a more dumb than usual hot take I don't really believe but in this moment I think this can team can win without Willson Contreras and would shop him this deadline...Same suspects as the offseason: Rays, A's, and Jays immediately come to mind. The Rays in particular still have a pretty easy fit with their MIF, CF, and reliever/P depth and the Jays could make an interesting offer probably


I was a big proponent of trading Contreras last winter, but the odds of getting appropriate value at the deadline of this bizarre half season are less than zero.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:58 am

1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:23 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Probably a more dumb than usual hot take I don't really believe but in this moment I think this can team can win without Willson Contreras and would shop him this deadline...Same suspects as the offseason: Rays, A's, and Jays immediately come to mind. The Rays in particular still have a pretty easy fit with their MIF, CF, and reliever/P depth and the Jays could make an interesting offer probably


I was a big proponent of trading Contreras last winter, but the odds of getting appropriate value at the deadline of this bizarre half season are less than zero.


Yeah, I'm big on trading Contreras

Edit:. This whole pandemic makes imaginary trades less fun
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:57 am

MLBTR has their Top 50 deadline candidates list up:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/08/ ... dates.html
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9018
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 843
x 885

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:49 am

Brian Goodwin (#23 on that list) has a career .266/.335/.505 line against lefties and is SLGing .505 against them this year....If Theo feels like hitting a HR this TDL, Simmons (#10) and/or Goodwin from the Angels and Barnes (14) from the Red Sox seem like they'd go a long way here without breaking the proverbial bank...
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2339
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 899
x 1346

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Bertz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:34 pm

The way I see it, the needs are pretty clearly a lefty setup guy and a competent Almora type. Watson and Pillar fit those to a T but those are common enough profiles that specific names don't matter a ton.

While unlikely given the logistics of each additional transaction, I would like an upgrade at DH and a longer term pen piece. I've mentioned Michael Brantley before for DH, and I think the appeal is obvious. I mean look at this lineup:

Brantley (DH)
Happ
Bryant
Rizzo
Contreras
Schwarber
Baez
Heyward/Pillar
Kipnis/Hoerner

Miguel Castro is a pen arm I'm REALLY high on. He's always had unreal stuff, and this year basically started throwing more first pitch strikes and traded a little vertical movement for horizontal movement on his slider. The ERA is still ugly, but the Ks and BBs have really gone in the right direction in addition to his already elite ground all rate. He'd also be around for two more years after this.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 944
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 9
x 210

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby champaignchris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:Tony Watson seems like a guy we should've acquired by now.


Him and Kevin Pillar are the perpetual “why isn’t this guy a Cub?” guys.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15226
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 189
x 288

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:36 pm

BRING HIM HOME

The Reds announced that they’ve reinstated reliever Pedro Strop from the injured list and designated him for assignment.
5 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6872
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 8
x 84

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Targets/Rumors

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:33 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:BRING HIM HOME

The Reds announced that they’ve reinstated reliever Pedro Strop from the injured list and designated him for assignment.


As long as we're having reunions, I wouldn't mind having LaStella coming off the bench as a PH in a critical situation.
0 x


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bertz and 5 guests