Jose Martinez traded to Cubs

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Re: Jose Martinez traded to Cubs

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 pm

David wrote:
mul21 wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:He is the worst defender I have ever seen

Oof, Chris Duncan in the OF is an easy list topper there for me. Todd Hundley in the OF is close too.

oh man somehow i had completely forgotten about todd hundley the outfielder

I can never find video clips of it on the internet. It was so bad.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:29 pm

These moves, assuming all the main guys are healthy (and not sub replacement players, looking at you Javy), should give us a lineup that wrecks lefties. You could run out something like this:

KB
Souza
Contreras
Martinez
Baez
Rizzo
Happ
Bote
Hoerner

Not going to help you much against, say, Gray/Bauer/Castillo in a three game series. But there's Kershaw/Urias, Fried in Atlanta.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:22 pm

He's a top 30 guy. Considering Jose Martinez has already sent down that's...not great.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:53 pm

I know Martinez can still be called back up and do something with the Cubs, but as it stands right now, this would be the second year in a row where the Cubs made a Mid-season trade for a MLB position player who literally does not get a hit or them.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:58 pm

champaignchris wrote:I know Martinez can still be called back up and do something with the Cubs, but as it stands right now, this would be the second year in a row where the Cubs made a Mid-season trade for a MLB position player who literally does not get a hit or them.

Martinez is controlled for 2-3 more years, if the DH is here to stay he does have some value of what he is this year isn’t the new norm.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hrubes20
Starter

Postby Hrubes20 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/status/1304119627732201472?s=19

He's a top 30 guy. Considering Jose Martinez has already sent down that's...not great.

Well horsefeathers. Pedro alone is more than I thought would have to be given up for Jose. I don't think Pedro Martinez is a future star or anything, but he actually does have some potential.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
champaignchris wrote:I know Martinez can still be called back up and do something with the Cubs, but as it stands right now, this would be the second year in a row where the Cubs made a Mid-season trade for a MLB position player who literally does not get a hit or them.

Martinez is controlled for 2-3 more years, if the DH is here to stay he does have some value of what he is this year isn’t the new norm.

He just turned 32 and last year he only managed a 101 wRC+, hard to be very confident of much future value since he is poison with a glove in his hand.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

He just turned 32 and last year he only managed a 101 wRC+, hard to be very confident of much future value since he is poison with a glove in his hand.

If we are gonna throw out this weird year as not being the norm moving forward for him, his ~150 wRC+ vs lefties and ~110 vs RHP career still plays with the DH around. Sure not super valuable, but it certainly helps. Especially over 162 games next year if you assume he’s going to be closer to his career norms.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Martinez is controlled for 2-3 more years, if the DH is here to stay he does have some value of what he is this year isn’t the new norm.

If we are gonna throw out this weird year as not being the norm moving forward for him, his ~150 wRC+ vs lefties and ~110 vs RHP career still plays with the DH around. Sure not super valuable, but it certainly helps. Especially over 162 games next year if you assume he’s going to be closer to his career norms.

Is it safe to think there will be 162 games next year?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:34 pm

I like Pedro Martinez's bat some, but he's maybe the worst defender with the worst defensive tools among their most relevant IF prospects (Morel, Strumpf, Howard, Verdugo, Vazquez, Weber). I wouldn't be surprised if the ceiling is more towards a LaStella or Dietrich kind of "2B", guys who can claim to defend positions other than 1B and DH in most of the years surrounding the 1-3 year window they hit enough to play everyday at 2B

Basically trading him hurts this year's prospect rankings more than the future probably
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Martinez is controlled for 2-3 more years, if the DH is here to stay he does have some value of what he is this year isn’t the new norm.

I mean if he approaches his career averages then yeah that's fine, and ultimately I don't really care about losing Pedro Martinez. I just don't see much room for optimism in those averages coming back at his age.

1 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Is it safe to think there will be 162 games next year?

There's not a ton of reason to think there shouldn't be, because COVID isn't catching anyone off guard this time and in theory things should be better with treatments, etc. by March. But if we're not in a place to have full stadiums (and it's very unlikely we do) I could see the owners just tanking it again and forcing through another shortened season.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:57 pm

That's a bummer. More than I thought we'd give up.

At the same time, he's super far from the majors and anything can happen. And as others have said, Jose Martinez still has control and can be used as DH/solid bench bat for the next two seasons (not that he's shown that so far in limited time with us). I guess you can hope he can rebound and be a good (and relatively cheap) part of the offense. If they DFA him in the offseason then horsefeathers it all.
1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Return to “Transactions”