2020 Offseason Thread

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:10 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:The money falling off of guys leaving isn’t enough to do any real adds. They almost certainly are going to be running a lower payroll in 2021 and be well below the LT. They won’t be close to anywhere we were in 2020-2019 in terms of payroll/LT. You need to clear more money than just the “money falling off” to really add anything.

Right now Spotrac has us at $110 mil before arb, I’d assume after adding arb in is where we are going to end up payroll wise overall ($160-170 mil) on the year. We aren’t touching that $190-200+ range we have been.

They need to do a Schwarbs NT, Willy trade and Kimbrel (at least partial money) trade to clear any decent amount of FA money. lol at the idea of trading Bote or Almora accomplishing this. Bote makes no money for 1, he should be kept and has nominal trade value and looking to trade Almora over just non-tendering him is a waste of time just NT him.

Bote's $3 million against the LT which is > no money. What's nominal trade value here? He's an infielder in his 20s at a non-1B position with some power and patience and 4 years at low prices left. In an offseason in which most players will be defined by salary and control, what's not to like about that position? So long as they're shopping realistically, not every move has to be The One that will save The Future, there's no reason to think they couldn't get a desirable enough pitcher in a deal. Same thing for Slaps, the league is still short on CFs and he's cheap, young, and under control for multiple seasons

As far as the payroll stuff...You're talking lopping an additional ~$30 million on top of the at least $30 million coming off after going from 3rd in payroll in 2019 to 7th in 2020...That just doesn't add up IMO and I'm not even calling for a $190-200+ payroll, which would require some $100+ million being added to what's already committed in 2021 according to MLBTR

The MLBTR estimate doesn’t have arb. So that’s wrong. I also don’t know how they factor in options, if it’s just buyout money or assume option is exercised. Would think it’s just buyout money since that’s the guaranteed amount. So their estimate might not have Rizzo’s option but does have Jon’s buyout. We are at ~$160 payroll wise right now and ~$190 LT wise adding arb guys in and picking up Rizzo option/doing Lester buyout (so $10-20 mil to spend to stay under the LT). So yeah that’s the payroll you are calling for if you aren’t willing to do a Schwarbs/Kimbrel move and want to keep every non Willy guy potentially. I just don’t see them being willing to be much higher than where they are today.

If you think you can get something for Bote cool, I’m for it. But again LOL at thinking Almora is bringing anything back. He’s horsefeathering terrible and costs ~$2 mil this year.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:13 pm

When they non-tender Almora this fall, I don't think he gets a guaranteed MLB contract. He has zero trade value.
1 x
Spoiler: show

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:30 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:The MLBTR estimate doesn’t have arb.They’re at ~$160 payroll wise right now and ~$190 LT wise adding arb guys in. So yeah that’s the payroll you are calling for if you aren’t willing to do a Schwarbs/Kimbrel move too. I just don’t see them being willing to be much higher than where they are today.

If you think you can get something for Bote cool, I’m for it. But again LOL at thinking Almora is bringing anything back. He’s horsefeathering terrible and costs ~$2 mil this year.

Almora's not in a crazy different position our guy Pivetta was in with the Phillies. Phillies been trying to feed him a job for years, he's been trash, but scarcity ruled the day and he was a desirable trade piece when probably most of the fanbase saw him as a NT candidate/lost cause. Teams' CF options in FA this year are:

Center Fielders

Jackie Bradley Jr. (31)
Jarrod Dyson (36)
Brett Gardner (37) — $10MM club option with a $2.5MM buyout
Billy Hamilton (30)
Jon Jay (36)
Jake Marisnick (30)
Starling Marte (32) — $12.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Kevin Pillar (32)
George Springer (31)

Pillar and Bradley Jr., neither particularly good hitters either, are the only full time starters at the position. Springer can probably do it for a year or two but has been a part time CF in Houston. Just 1 for 1 the money with frustrating yoot from elsewhere or fading vet, or throw in some A ball pitching or even someone like Miller/Underwood...OTOH yeah if nothing comes up the NT will happen

The MLBTR isn't an estimate, just listing the set commits given the uncertainty...They can also save by dumping a bunch of arb guys like Tepera, Ryan, Brothers, Rea, Winkler, Martinez for another ~$5 million...Slaps would push that closer to 8

---

The Cubs should sign Wilmer Font, would be his 7th org over the past few years as a popular spin guy and flashed with the Rays in 2018:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseb ... en-market/
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:32 pm

Cot's has them $104 million under the non-adjusted 2020 payroll with the following players up for arbitration:
Caratini
Happ
Winkler
Ryan
Almora
Martinez
Contreras
Schwarber
Baez
Bryant
Tepera
Rae

I can see raises going to Caratini, Happ, Winkler, maybe Ryan, Tepera, but all of them probably would get slight raises because of their low salaries. Obviously, Contreras would get a decent raise, but the big salary guys (Schwarber, Baez, Bryant) should lose in arbitration after their performances this year. I would think there's some money to make some mid-level additions, but convincing PTR of that is another story.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Cot's has them $104 million under the non-adjusted 2020 payroll with the following players up for arbitration:
Caratini
Happ
Winkler
Ryan
Almora
Martinez
Contreras
Schwarber
Baez
Bryant
Tepera
Rae

I can see raises going to Caratini, Happ, Winkler, maybe Ryan, Tepera, but all of them probably would get slight raises because of their low salaries. Obviously, Contreras would get a decent raise, but the big salary guys (Schwarber, Baez, Bryant) should lose in arbitration after their performances this year. I would think there's some money to make some mid-level additions, but convincing PTR of that is another story.

Teams and players also can’t use the 2020 season to make arguments in their arb cases, MLB/MLBPA agreed to that before the year. So that benefits Schwarbs, Baez and Bryant to get more using past years as the only basis. Bryant (~$18 mil), Baez (~$10 mil), Schwarbs (~$7 mil) and Contreras (~$4.5 mil) accounted for ~$40 mil last year. That number probably jumps to ~$60 this year Bryant (~$25 mil), Baez (~$15 mil), Schwarbs (~$10 mil), Willy (~$7 mil).
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:28 pm

Brett at Bleacher Nation made this handy chart with arb estimates...

1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Brian wrote:Brett at Bleacher Nation made this handy chart with arb estimates...

Brett's write-up is pretty spot on too. There are a few additional things I'd point out though if you want to be less pessimistic about the payroll:

1. The last two years payroll has averaged ~225. That may be a more accurate baseline than just 2020, as clearly the idea was to splurge, then get just under the tax, and repeat. So if you lop 25%/15% off of that baseline, you're talking more like 170/190

2. Marquee is now fully up, and they got their carriage deals with all of the providers you would have reasonably expected. For ~5 years this was supposed to be the payroll silver bullet, and now it's here

That said, Brett is generally captain optimism, and he is vaguely connected, so if he's saying to pump the brakes, you probably should pump the brakes. Also, the next time PTR exceeds expectations will be the first since he poached Theo.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Would not be surprised if the Marlins are surprise buyers this winter, and they make a ton of sense as a destination for Willson. Also Schwarber to a lesser extent.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:35 pm

What players would they want from the Marlins for either of those guys?

Edit: One sleeper team I think is in play for either one of Contreras or Schwarber is the Rockies. LF and C are two of their biggest holes, and they have a quality farm on the way up. Ryan McMahon's a player I think the Cubs should have some interest in (LHH, can play 2B ish, some versatility)
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:32 am

I would like whoever can President of Baseball Operations their way into a good Willson Contreras to the Rays trade to run the front office. Their catchers are bottom of the league terrible, they have tons of prospects, they want a stadium, it was already pushing it's way towards being a national rumor last year, and just seems like a really obvious thing for both teams to do

Start with Manuel Margot (thank you Arozarena!?), maybe see if they want to trade Yarbrough before the whole SP/RP thing becomes a big hullabllo, and grab a couple good prospects (Xavier Edwards, Joe Ryan, Jose Lowe, etc)
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:48 pm

My current premise on the offseason would be to sign Rizzo to an extension, trade Willson, and tender the following: Bryant, Baez, Happ, Caratini, Tepera, and Rea. There would be a couple contact-oriented bats, and lots of cheap relievers (the market should be flooded) to see if they can pick up next year's version of a knuckle curve or cutter.

1. Rizzo extension - save $2.5 mil for 2021
He will always be a blindspot to me. There's no player in this current era that I would hate more wearing another jersey as much as Rizzo so I'll admit that there's possibility it'll look bad in the later years. But, he had the best year out of the core four and his contact rates make me think he would continue to fit well in a revamped line-up. Sign him and put a damn "C" on his jersey (that doesn't stand for Cubs). I'd do 6 years/$120 and structure it $14/18/22/22/22/22 so it'd actually save $2.5 mil for next season.

2. Trading Willson - save ~$8 mil for 2021
I think Tom mentioned the Rays and Blue Jays as teams who could be interested in Willson. I agree. WC's framing improvements opens up trading him to more teams. So let's just throw out a JT Realmuto-lite deal: a ML C, a top 100 milb SP, and a deeper prospect. WC to Blue Jays for Simeon Woods Richardson, Danny Jansen (80.4% contact% for career), and Leonardo Jimenez

3. Tendering Bryant and Baez - cost neutral
If I'm going to "buy" any of the core for bounce-back seasons it's Bryant and Baez on one-year deals. KB is one of the best Cubs in franchise history. Even during seasons when he's been hurt, his production has been above average. You run it back for one more season. For Baez, the defense is still elite. The players will have video capability and some fans are hopefully coming back. I'll take the chance we get 2017 Baez and that's worth it for what he'll likely cost.

4. Moving on from Schwarber - save ~$10 mil from 2021 projections/decreased if involved in trade
Kyle is a legend and there's a special place in Cubs lore for him. But it's obvious we can't run back the same group again and Schwarber is the one that makes the most sense to replace with a contact-oriented LF. I don't think Schwarber brings back much of anything realistically in a trade (see maybe a swap with BOS for Benintendi)

5. The other tender lot: most are obvious (Happ, Caratini). Tepera I'm split on and I think Rea is a cheap option as a reliever only. Almora is an obvious 'no'. Save ~$3 mil

6. The contact bats - Brantley (unlikely), Benintendi, Grossman, and/or La Stella.
Brantley is the dream, but Sahadev mentioned it's really unlikely so let's talk about a trade for Benintendi. He had contact rates of 82% for his first three years before injuries and/or swing changes led him to fall in that department. He'd be a possible nontender if BOS could, but he signed a two year deal last offseason so he'll make $6.6 mil in 2021. If the cost is low, I think he's a good bounceback. If a Schwarber for Benintendi deal would be possible (I dunno) then maybe that's a deal you look at. BOS takes a chance on Schwarber for effectively $3-4 mil and moves Benintendi and the Cubs take a chance on a player they've liked since before the 2015 draft. I'd love La Stella and I think it's possible, but I do wonder if just playing Nico and Vargas gives you the contact you want from 2B.

7. Find a SP with velocity
The Cubs have tried to get Kevin Gausman for years. The moves above likely clear $15 mil. How about a Lance Lynn-like deal? 3 Years/$33 mil. WC could also get traded for a SP instead. Zach Eflin is an interesting target. If not them, I'd love to get Kyle Wight, but I think he's breaking out enough that ATL won't move him.

If you're subtracting $2.5 mil from Rizzo's option, trading WC, moving Schwarber, and bringing in Benintendi and Gausman you've subtracted about $3 mil from the projected $160 mil or so that Brett posted. They'll need it to fill out the roster and hopefully the budget isn't as razor thin as that. If you want to really unload payroll, I'd move Kimbrel.

Edit: nontender not contender
2 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 pm

I would do cartwheels for Schwarber/Benintendi.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:10 am

^^ I'm pro trading Scwharber, anti-NT...The Royals, Mariners, Tigers, Rockies, Angels, Orioles...one of those teams probably have pitching they'd give up to not have to compete in FA

------

I made this really cool, necessary roster of of possibly attainable players the Cubs should trade for this offseason. Mostly depth pickups, very few Long Term players, maybe not pretty in a vacuum or out:

C: Danny Jansen
1B: Taylor Ward
2B: Ryan McMahon, Niko Goodrum, Nicky Lopez
SS: Lindor, Niko Goodrum, Nicky Lopez, Richie Martin
3B: Kelvin Gutierrez, Johan Camargo,

OF: Kyle Lewis, Manuel Margot, Lamonte Wade Jr., Scott Kingery, Daz Cameron, Cedric Mullins, Anthony Santander

No order:

Matt Boyd LHSP
Logan Allen LHSP
Nick Margevicius LHP
Anthony Misiewicz LHRP
Matt Strahm LHP
Sean Reid-Foley RHP
Beau Burrows RHP
Jorge Guzman RHP
Jeff Hoffman RHP
Ryne Stanek RHP
Joe Palumbo LHP
Aaron Fletcher LHRP
Matt Barnes RHRP
Ronald Bolanos
Richard Lovelady

More words:

- Ward was drafted as a glove first catcher, has played 3B/1B/COF in the pros
- Margevicius walked 17 hitters in 135 and change IP between the A balls in 2017, could be a Ryan Yarbrough-esque pitcher?
- Jeff Hoffman's a Driveline guy
- Palumbo, Bolanos, Guzman, Burrows, Reid-Foley, Margevicius, Allen, and Boyd would all be SP depth, Boyd might be an interesting one for Hottovy
- Lovelady has a weird slot like Ryan, throws much harder
- Lopez and McMahon are LHH MIFs, Lopez came up as a SS
- Gutierrez is an interesting possible bench bat, especially if they mix up the MIF with a couple of the available LHH and switch hitters (Jed Lowrie!), because he can backup 3B/1B but is second position in the minors was SS, RHH who makes contact, Hitting Lab could unlock power since he's like 6'2" 220
- Martin stands in for anyone who can play SS really well because their SS depth is not pretty behind Baez
- If I could pick two bench additions this offseason it would be trading for Goodrum and McMahon
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Fallout from the Yankees losing again will be interesting.
Immediate reaction is that you have to imagine they move on from Gary Sanchez this winter. I doubt they're a player for Willson, but I could see them on Realmuto, which would open up Contreras' market even more. And backfilling Willson's spot by taking a flyer on a nontendered Sanchez is something I wouldn't hate.

Also, I shudder to even speak this possibility into existence, but the Yankees probably want a #2 behind Cole, and Yu is basically the platonic ideal of what they look for in a pitcher.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Bertz wrote:Fallout from the Yankees losing again will be interesting.
Immediate reaction is that you have to imagine they move on from Gary Sanchez this winter. I doubt they're a player for Willson, but I could see them on Realmuto, which would open up Contreras' market even more. And backfilling Willson's spot by taking a flyer on a nontendered Sanchez is something I wouldn't hate.

Also, I shudder to even speak this possibility into existence, but the Yankees probably want a #2 behind Cole, and Yu is basically the platonic ideal of what they look for in a pitcher.

I think having Caratini allows you to take a chance on Sanchez. I could definitely see it as a stop gap for Amaya for a year. He still excels with barrel% and hard hit%, but he rocked a 36% K rate. I’d still look into seeing if you could get Kevin Plawecki from the Red Sox first.

With Yu’s no-trade clause through 2021, I’d be pretty shocked to see him traded unless it’s to TEX or maybe LA and that’s only if the Cubs tell him they plan to fully rebuild (granted that’s implied if you’re trading Darvish or Hendricks right now).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:15 pm

My outrageous claim is that we non-tender Bryant
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm

This is probably the first offseason in at least the last handful I would like the Cubs to stay away from Kevin Gausman. He's still mostly a two pitch guy with junk breaking stuff, started mixing in more changeups to offer a different look from fastball up/splitter down. Someone finally got the breakout and he's basically Chatwood as a FA, young and well followed enough over the years that someone will imagine even more upside potential to be mined than even the last ~80 innings have shown. Wouldn't be surprised if he's one of very few FAs to get a meaningful multi-year offer
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 pm

This seems notable about Adbert Alzolay's new sinker:

Velo (mph)
96.44 - Brandon Woodruff
95.29 - Alzolay

pfx HMov (in.)

pfx VMov (in.)

H. Rel (ft.)

V. Rel (ft.)

The pitch got whiffs at half the rate Woodruff's (maybe the best one in the game right now) does, but more positively the pitch looks like a pitch that works and hitters didn't pick up any XBHs off of the pitch.

Woodruff's sinker is an overwhelming pitch not just because of the velocity and movement, but because he uses it counter intuitively - up and in to RHs:

Alzolay was imitating that too, not there all the way but obviously influenced:

Woodruff keeps the pitch down and away from LHHs, Alzolay had much more of an issue and was all over the zone

Also:

- His changeup and slider seem to have some potential. The changeup has drawn the highest whiff rate in 2019 and 2020, snuck in some pop ups and groundballs too, but he is all over the zone with it and only threw a few to RHHs in 2020. The slider is decent, drew a 20% whiff rate and some pop ups

- The four seam seems alright if he can keep getting pop ups like he has to supplement solid but unspectacular whiffs

- While I don't hate him for the 5th spot next year, maybe, the Cubs should probably limit him to ~120 innings during the regular season maybe even 110. He hasn't throw 100+ innings since 2017, topped out at almost 82 in 2019
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Some Alzolay and coaches fluff from Sharma that I bummed from BN:

https://theathletic.com/2099658/2020/09 ... -the-cubs/

Overall, [Cubs Director of Pitching Craig] Breslow called it a “less than ideal” environment, but still “very productive.”

“We were able to generate material improvements in pitchers’ repertoires, and there were many who contributed to that effort, but none more so than the players themselves,” Breslow said. “It took a number of iterations, but ultimately we established a process and reached a cadence that was efficient and effective.”

Alzolay was one of those clear success stories and a perfect example of the collaboration needed to pull off these types of pitcher development transformations. Breslow pointed to [Cubs Coordinator of Pitching Development Casey] Jacobsen’s exceptional expertise with pitch design and pitch grips. [Cubs Assistant Analyst Ryan] Otero helped define the “optimal version of this pitch along the velocity/break spectrum” and [Cubs field staff James Ogden and Ron Villone] were committed to helping Alzolay make this newly designed slider a part of his repertoire.

“We outlined a sound process, and it would be impossible to give Adbert enough credit for his buy-in and work,” Breslow said. “We all served as resources, but Adbert was the person who made these changes. We are talking about a guy who shifted his grip, got his fingers more behind the ball to push the pace, threw the pitch in a bullpen session in South Bend, and then took it into a major league game three days later.”

Why did they believe this was the right pitch to work into Alzolay’s game? The group knew Alzolay had the ability to add another weapon to his arsenal and felt that a putaway breaking ball, specifically a mid-80s slider that had less size but more velocity than his curveball, would be a perfect complement.

“Given Adbert’s ability to throw his curveball for a strike, we were confident that if we could target the shape and velocity, he would be able to find the zone with it,” Breslow said. “In terms of why it’s played so well, I think there are two things to consider. One, in a vacuum it’s just a very good pitch. It gets a lot of two-plane break for this level of power. Two, Adbert added a two-seam that shows good sink and run, and in the last handful of outings his ability to command this pitch to his glove-side has given him a really intriguing weapon. The added slider pairs well with his two-seam, adding an east-west component to his repertoire.”
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 pm

This is a very interesting article from Sharma and Mooney. Pretty light on concrete info, although a few interesting things stood out:

- Non-tendering Schwarber is unlikely
- They're not going to tear it down to the studs, so don't worry about Yu and Kyle going anywhere
- From my reading, Kimbrel is the only guy whom they indicate is more likely than not to go
- Contreras clearly makes the most sense to trade on paper, but the team really values his off the field makeup so they're reticent
- Bryant's clearly on the block, but they expect he's in that awkward "more valuable to us than in trade" zone because of his salary

Taking all that together, I imagine they're going to trade Dirty Craig and one of Bryant/Contreras. I imagine they try early to trade KB, and if they don't like any offers pivot to Willson right after Realmuto signs. Everyone else gets a chance going into 2021 to rebound.

So if we use Brett's ~$180M payroll estimate, that'd give the team ~$35M to spend in FA if Contreras goes, and ~$50M if Bryant does.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:31 pm

Bertz wrote:
So if we use Brett's ~$180M payroll estimate, that'd give the team ~$35M to spend in FA if Contreras goes, and ~$50M if Bryant does.

Do we really think that if they clear up that payroll that they're going to actually spend the money that they saved?
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/status/1316375907091832837?s=19

This is a very interesting article from Sharma and Mooney. Pretty light on concrete info, although a few interesting things stood out:

- Non-tendering Schwarber is unlikely
- They're not going to tear it down to the studs, so don't worry about Yu and Kyle going anywhere
- From my reading, Kimbrel is the only guy whom they indicate is more likely than not to go
- Contreras clearly makes the most sense to trade on paper, but the team really values his off the field makeup so they're reticent
- Bryant's clearly on the block, but they expect he's in that awkward "more valuable to us than in trade" zone because of his salary

Taking all that together, I imagine they're going to trade Dirty Craig and one of Bryant/Contreras. I imagine they try early to trade KB, and if they don't like any offers pivot to Willson right after Realmuto signs. Everyone else gets a chance going into 2021 to rebound.

So what do the Cubs do in free agency with $35MM?

Someone like Marcus Strohman as starting pitching. Good enough now to contribute. Young enough to still be contributing after the soft rebuild. Probably can be had for less than $20MM per year.

Center fielder Maybin replacement (Bradley too expensive? Hernandez from the Dodgers?). Middle infielder Kipnis replacement (Schoop?). Dumpster diving for a catcher with up side (Zunino?). Dumpster dive for the bullpen again.

Probably good enough to compete in the Central. If not, pull the plug at mid-season and trade everyone.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Today my FA wish list is:

Marcus Stroman - The Corbin to Darvish's and Hendricks' Scherzer and Strasburg, seems to be crazy undervalued heading into FA

Jed Lowrie - Similar role to Howie Kendrick with the Nats, was an All Star in his last healthy season, backup 2B and 1B

Mike Zunino - Zunino if they're optimistic about coaching, but I don't hate Jason Castro

Sean Doolittle (and/or Kirby Yates) - 1 year deals to set up potential draft picks in 2022

Michael Taylor - Current OF setup, which is one that can work, needs a glove first backup CF preferably RHH and Taylor is that

Ian Kennedy - Should be cheap, a quality veteran reliever

Ross Detwiler - LHRP for middle relief. I'm impressed he's stuck around so long,

I flip between bringing back Lester and not. Part of me thinks it's time to turn a new page, the other part just wants a competent SP in the 4th starter spot for cheap and pickings are slim

JMO a goal for this offseason should be situating the roster to have more draft picks and a bigger draft budget in 2022 than right now...Perfect year to do it with multiple current Cubs already set to hit FA. It's not hard to imagine one or more players having the kind of year that would get a QO and they're all young enough to reject it with some optimism except Rizzo, who trades that for being the most stable
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:09 pm

The Logan wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Do we really think that if they clear up that payroll that they're going to actually spend the money that they saved?

That'd be about $30M less than last year. We'll see how it plays out but the indications we've gotten are that most teams are cutting spending by something in the 10-20% range. Cubs were at 210 last year so 180 would be a 15% cut. It's a very rough guess.

champaignchris wrote:So what do the Cubs do in free agency with $35MM?

Someone like Marcus Strohman as starting pitching. Good enough now to contribute. Young enough to still be contributing after the soft rebuild. Probably can be had for less than $20MM per year.

Center fielder Maybin replacement (Bradley too expensive? Hernandez from the Dodgers?). Middle infielder Kipnis replacement (Schoop?). Dumpster diving for a catcher with up side (Zunino?). Dumpster dive for the bullpen again.

Probably good enough to compete in the Central. If not, pull the plug at mid-season and trade everyone.

I'd personally do something like Ha-Seong Kim (15ish), a decent #3 starter (10ish), and then use the rest to build out the bench as much as you can (like you said a CF, 2B, and C). But if they don't get Kim I would imagine it looks like what you said, maybe going a little higher in CF (JBJ?) and a little lower on the SP front.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Today my FA wish list is:

Marcus Stroman - The Corbin to Darvish's and Hendricks' Scherzer and Strasburg, seems to be crazy undervalued heading into FA

Sean Doolittle (and/or Kirby Yates) - 1 year deals to set up potential draft picks in 2022

Stroman seems like he'd be perfect as like a 90% version of Hendricks...Toronto's defense was terrible, putting him in front of ours should work out perfectly.

I want Doolittle just to enhance my enjoyment of this team. The fact that he's a really good pitcher when healthy is almost a separate discussion.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”