2020 Offseason Thread

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: 2020 Offseason Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Another possible cheap LHH OF option to pair with Ervin, Brett Gardner. He should not cost much turning 38 during the year, question is would he be interested in playing anywhere other than New York and maybe you do have to pay him more to convince him to come. But if he’s willing to come on a cheap 1 year deal he’s a terrific fit. The team could use some red ass, grittiness. He makes a lot of contact (did drop below 80% for the first time last year but shortened year who knows) he still crushed RHP .229/.370/.430 with a 124 wRC+ and he’s at about 115 wRC+ vs RHP for his career. Add him for a LF platoon with Ervin and Pillar for a platoon option for Happ/Heyward and late inning CF defense and we got some grit cooking.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:01 pm

SaorsaDaonnan wrote:TomtheBombadil, would it be fair to say you’re more interested in the question “how would an ideally rational ownership-management partnership with league average financial health and an a priori commitment to market-appropriate budgets approach this Cubs offseason?” than the question “if you were Jed and faced the problems Jed actually faces, what would you do”?

Maybe the reason you look so Panglossian to the rest of us is that you’d just rather spend your free time answering the first question, whereas the rest of us are mostly focusing on the second?

If the situation were average financial health and a priori commitement to market-appropriate budgets, *and* I saw it that way, this thread would be filled with George Springer posts . All I'm doing is looking to use the money and resources "the rest of us" wants to use on limited or bad players like multiple platoon OFers and IFers or that Twins 2B and use it on good players instead
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:09 pm

SaorsaDaonnan wrote:TomtheBombadil, would it be fair to say you’re more interested in the question “how would an ideally rational ownership-management partnership with league average financial health and an a priori commitment to market-appropriate budgets approach this Cubs offseason?” than the question “if you were Jed and faced the problems Jed actually faces, what would you do”?

Maybe the reason you look so Panglossian to the rest of us is that you’d just rather spend your free time answering the first question, whereas the rest of us are mostly focusing on the second?

God I wish I knew what half of that meant, it sounds delicious.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:10 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

God I wish I knew what half of that meant, it sounds delicious.

It's basically that I'm overoptimistic and should accept that Adam Duvall is merely keepin' it real
1 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

SaorsaDaonnan
Starter

Postby SaorsaDaonnan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:23 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:God I wish I knew what half of that meant, it sounds delicious.

Whereas many of us are pretending to be Jed, I thought maybe he was pretending to be Tom and Jed.

Since many people think the team has deep enough pockets to do fine while freely spending, or that an owner should deliberately lose a bit of money as a civic duty to boost the team, that would potentially explain his other positions. But he said no, he is pretending to be Jed only, and just disagrees with the rest of us on the facts of what Jed’s marching orders are.

Or, as a slight wrinkle to that, on what they will be...sometimes he sounds to me like he thinks that since the Cubs might not have set a specific budget yet, the reports of big cuts might all be a mirage.
0 x
"You cannot microwave experience," Colletti said. "The only way to get it is to live it."

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:05 am

Really interesting comments from the Rays GM, makes them sound like buyers and they're still looking for catching

https://www.albat.com/mlb/MLB-Willson-C ... -0007.html
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:21 pm

https://www.cubsinsider.com/2020/12/23/ ... nors-deal/

Sinkerballer with a cutter like Winkler, lost ~ a MPH on the sinker in 2020 but throws it harder than Winkler...Former Blue Jay too so Cubs are dipping into that well again (Phelps, Tepera)

He and recent signee, Trevor Kelley, were very stingy with HRs in the minors. Kelley's got a different look:

0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

In addition to Joe Biagini and Trevor Kelley, we also brought back Matt Dermody

The Cubs have agreed to a minor league contract with left-hander Matt Dermody, MLBTR has learned. The 30-year-old southpaw will be invited to Major League Spring Training to compete for a bullpen job.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Post Count Padder wrote:In addition to Joe Biagini and Trevor Kelley, we also brought back Matt Dermody

The Cubs have agreed to a minor league contract with left-hander Matt Dermody, MLBTR has learned. The 30-year-old southpaw will be invited to Major League Spring Training to compete for a bullpen job.

Hopefully the vaccine is available to players soon because the Cubs certainly won't be able to social distance at spring training with all of these signings.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1341750273988026375?s=21

It's weird to me that Morosi keeps bringing this up, but also keeps saying it's a thing that makes sense rather than it's a thing he's heard.

I do like the Padres as a trade partner a lot though. And I've mentioned earlier in the offseason, but pending payroll and whatever other irons are in the fire, I'd happily take Wil Myers back if it improved the prospect return. Like for example if my options are Darvish for Abrams and Morejon or Darvish for Abrams, Myers, and Patino, give me door #2.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Would sting more if he was healthy for 2021, but I would have preferred someone else signed Kahnle
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:37 pm

Wouldn’t have minded him at that price, still plenty of options though. I have a feeling with bring Chatwood back on a similar amount as a make good deal assuming he’s healthy (idk if he is healthy or had any sort of procedure).

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:06 pm

The Rockies got little-to-no production from C, 1B, and 2B last season.

How about a Christmas trade: Rockies get Caratini + Bote + Underwood for Jon Gray + Mychal Givens + Cash ($3 million?)
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:09 pm

The entire NL Central is basically following Jack Donaghy's "into the crevasse" plan from 30 Rock
2 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Bell kind of sucks though.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Great offseason to be a buyer, Nats got Bell for a song (a 19 YO pitcher and a pre-injured but ML ready guy)
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Great offseason to be a buyer, Nats got Bell for a song (a 19 YO pitcher and a pre-injured but ML ready guy)

That's because he isn't very good. Since May 15th of 2019 covering 669PA, he has put up an .807 OPS good for a 107 wRC+. Outside of the crazy start to 2019 he has never been good.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Tryptamine wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Great offseason to be a buyer, Nats got Bell for a song (a 19 YO pitcher and a pre-injured but ML ready guy)

That's because he isn't very good. Since May 15th of 2019 covering 669PA, he has put up an .807 OPS good for a 107 wRC+. Outside of the crazy start to 2019 he has never been good.

Meh, name a player and I can find the reasons not to get that guy. For the price they just paid I'd rather focus on him being a giant, cheap athletic switch hitter in his 20s with a high Iso offense at a position the league isn't really stacked at with starters. It's hard not see this as at least a potential coup for the Nats, in many ways the kind of trade I'd like to see the Cubs make

On the other end, the Pirates are hoping Wil Crowe can replace Trevor Williams so they don't have to spend too much money while trying to lose
0 x

Tryptamine
5-Time All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:55 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Meh, name a player and I can find the reasons not to get that guy. For the price they just paid I'd rather focus on him being a giant, cheap athletic switch hitter in his 20s with a high Iso offense at a position the league isn't really stacked at with starters. It's hard not see this as at least a potential coup for the Nats, in many ways the kind of trade I'd like to see the Cubs make

On the other end, the Pirates are hoping Wil Crowe can replace Trevor Williams so they don't have to spend too much money while trying to lose

So you like the 28 year old who is a FA in 2 years and accumulated 2.1fwar over the last 2 seasons (836 PA), but you don't like the 23 year old Arraez who has 5 years of control and put up 2.8fwar in the last 2 seasons (487 PA)?
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:04 am

81 wins will take the NL Central next year.
Last edited by CubinNY on Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:41 am

Tryptamine wrote:So you like the 28 year old who is a FA in 2 years and accumulated 2.1fwar over the last 2 seasons (836 PA), but you don't like the 23 year old Arraez who has 5 years of control and put up 2.8fwar in the last 2 seasons (487 PA)?

Yes, without question considering what the Nats just gave up. The Cubs paying a very high price for a few hundred PAs spread over multiple seasons to promote and lead off Arraez is a wildly different context from the Nats giving up two pitchers way down their depth charts for Bell
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:35 am

Has anything happened yet?
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:18 am

Tryptamine wrote:

I agree Bell hasn't been good but they basically got him for a middling prospect and a lottery ticket. Yean could be special, but the Nationals have pitching depth. Crowe ... best case scenario is basically he makes it as an end of the rotation starter, but despite having a starter's arsenal, I'm not sure he sticks in the rotation. I wouldn't surprised if he ends up in the pen, ditching a breaking ball, and sharpening things up.

Crowe could very well work out, but for the Nationals, it's a good enough gamble of pitching prospects that are a bit down the pecking order for them to get a stopgap option at 1st base while hoping that Bell can turn it around. For the Pirates, I get it too. You hope Crowe sharpens things up and maybe ticks up to a borderline mid-rotation arm (I doubt it, but it's not impossible), and you hope Yean blossoms with his high end stuff. You think Bell peaked and you clear his salary to get a lot more flexibility.

All in all, seems like a pretty smart trade for both sides.
0 x

toonsterwu
All-Star

Postby toonsterwu » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:24 am

Tryptamine wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

So you like the 28 year old who is a FA in 2 years and accumulated 2.1fwar over the last 2 seasons (836 PA), but you don't like the 23 year old Arraez who has 5 years of control and put up 2.8fwar in the last 2 seasons (487 PA)?

I really think this is more of a "we get someone in place and we wait and see if the market gives us a good opportunity". They really haven't moved anyone in Yean or Crowe that will likely be a make-or-break guy for any potential big trade (Granted, they are saying Rutledge and Cavalli aren't moving, so maybe they don't have the assets to make a big trade, depending on how Kieboom is viewed).

Honestly, I view it as the Nationals taking a gamble, and they didn't give up much. If Bell pans out, great. But this gives them time without being pressed into making a move. I suspect they will dangle Carter Kieboom out there and maybe some secondary prospect arms and see if they can't add another bat.

___

Honestly, I keep wondering about Lindor and the Nationals. Now, Lindor's market is going to be packed, and a lot more teams could get in the mix. That said, they do have a middle infield need if they move Lindor, and I keep wondering if there is some package of say, Kieboom, Tanner Rainey, and maybe the nationals budging on one of their big 2 arms. Trea Turner seems like a team guy that might be willing to slide to another spot, you get a bat and upgrade defensively. Now, it does thin out the pen, but I do have my questions on Tanner Rainey maintaining his level of performance.

That said, this presumes the Indians value Kieboom well enough, and even if they do, I can envision other teams offering a big enough package to trump it. Still, if the Nationals budged on one of their big 2 arms (Cavalli or Rutledge) it seems possible that they could swing a home run deal.

I just have a hard time seeing Rizzo going into next year with Josh Bell as the main protection brought in for Juan Soto.
Last edited by toonsterwu on Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”