Darvish & Caratini to the Padres for Zach Davies & 4 Rookie Ball Prospects

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Darvish & Caratini to the Padres for Zach Davies & 4 Rookie Ball Prospects

Postby David » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:58 pm

the return better be damn good because i'm going to be bummed as hell if this happens.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: Cubs deep in discussions with Padres on Darvish

Postby Andy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Don't tell us you're trying to make the playoffs and then trade away the only good starting pitcher on the team
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Hoooooolllllllllyyyyyyy Horsefeathers

I'd assume Cronenworth comes back this way, hence them getting Kim as well? Maybe Wil Myers too? Otherwise that's ~$40M outlaid in 24 hours. We knew they had some room this offseason but I didn't think it was nearly that much.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:09 pm

I dont mind it . I love Yu but he's our best tradable asset and his long term value is probably better than most 34 year olds, but still limited due to age. I was almost starting to sell myself into the whole 'the NL Central is so mediocre and no one is trying to improve, lets bring most of it back one more time' thought process but sorry if I sound spoiled but there's not that much fun in an 84 win team that gets swept in the first round.

I will miss him if he's traded, I really came to love him these last couple of years (beyond just the fact that he was unbelievably good at pitching), but the move makes sense depending on the return. And if any of those players in a return is close to major league ready, we could still compete next year if we get some luck with scrap heap guys in the pitching factory.

That said, after graduating a bunch of guys, trading for Clevenger and then trading for Snell, I feel like the return from the Padres is going to be very underwhelming.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:11 pm

These talks run deep, so deep, that it has put any interest in next season to sleep.
2 x
► Show Spoiler

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm

I think Brett's probably right on the money here
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Bertz wrote:Hoooooolllllllllyyyyyyy Horsefeathers

I'd assume Cronenworth comes back this way, hence them getting Kim as well? Maybe Wil Myers too? Otherwise that's ~$40M outlaid in 24 hours. We knew they had some room this offseason but I didn't think it was nearly that much.

Any chance we take on someone like Clevinger? I know he's out for 2021, but still pre-FA

Fake edit: As I say that, I realized he's only under control for 1 more year after 2021 and he'll be 32 when he reaches FA. Maybe would make sense if they could buy out his last 2 arb years in an extension. Maybe 5 years, $55m or something.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Is this when we finally get Jake Peavy?
11 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:19 pm

I should say that any defense or support of this deal is based on the fact that the Cubs have an artificial spending limit, which I am vigorously opposed to. If the Cubs were actually allowed to spend money to take advantage of a small market division, I would be very opposed to any discussion of trading Yu.
6 x
Win it for Fred

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:31 pm

I know Myers was quite good in 2020 but that predicted return seems light if you are taking his contract in return.
3 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:32 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:32 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:33 pm

Gilby wrote:I know Myers was quite good in 2020 but that predicted return seems light if you are taking his contract in return.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine the Padres are going to pay a decent amount of it.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:36 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
Gilby wrote:I know Myers was quite good in 2020 but that predicted return seems light if you are taking his contract in return.

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine the Padres are going to pay a decent amount of it.

Possibly, but two years of Wil Myers, even if cheap, isn't overly valuable to us after trading one of the best pitchers in baseball.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Gilby wrote:

Possibly, but two years of Wil Myers, even if cheap, isn't overly valuable to us after trading one of the best pitchers in baseball.

I look at any offensive acquisitions as an attempt to change the dynamic of the offense to be more contact oriented. Myers seems to fit that profile, even though its very likely that last year was more of a SSS fluke (im sure someone here will do the research if this trade actually happens). I probably believe way too much in the pitch factory crap, but it seems to have yielded some great results, so while I know we can't replace Yu with it I do believe we can cobble together a solid rotation. Maybe I'm way wrong, but in terms of building for the future while cutting spending and still trying to be quasi-competitive you're gonna have to take some risks, and this seems like the best place to get unexpected results.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Gilby wrote:

They will just flip him, too. I know they will act like they are trying to be competitive, but I don't think ownership is really that interested in anything but payroll for the next few years (or maybe ever again?). If they were, they likely wouldn't be trading Darvish in the first place.

ETA: I'm fine with trading Yu even from a straight up baseball decision. There are reasons to do it, although I don't believe the Cubs are doing it for those reasons.
Last edited by Bryant's Disco Ball on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Gilby wrote:

Replacing Kyle Schwarber with worse, older Kyle Schwarber just so we could dump our best pitcher is certainly making me consider just how much I enjoy sitting in the bleachers.

Seems like if you've won 56% of your games the last 3 years and the rest of the division is openly broadcasting that they aren't trying, you'd want to focus on the couple minor moves it would take to make you comfortable favorites. But hey, what do I know.
3 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Wily Myers sucks and makes as much as Yu. We better get like their top 5 prospects back then. Cronenworth, Pham, 1 of Abrams or Hassell and a pitcher back is what I want. And throw in Vic and sell them he’s a key to Yu’s success to extract extra pieces.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Post Count Padder
Superstar

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Adding Contreras to the deal better at least get Gore or Abrams but I'm sure it won't.

Going off Brett's guess: Cronenworth, Myers (+$$$), Morejon, Weathers, lottery tickets? I dunno. Maybe we somehow get Grisham and our CF issue is solved.
1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Gilby wrote:

I think the point is to essentially buy additional prospects. The Cubs have almost nothing on the books next year if Darvish is dealt. ~$40M in guaranteed money, plus another ~$40M in potential between arb guys and Kimbrel's option. So if we take on Myers, get some of his '21 salary paid down, and get an extra Ryan Weathers type prospect out of it, it's a Win-Win IMO.

Edit: I realize it's not clear above, but "next year" means 2022 in this context
Last edited by Bertz on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:46 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Gilby wrote:

I look at any offensive acquisitions as an attempt to change the dynamic of the offense to be more contact oriented. Myers seems to fit that profile, even though its very likely that last year was more of a SSS fluke (im sure someone here will do the research if this trade actually happens). I probably believe way too much in the pitch factory crap, but it seems to have yielded some great results, so while I know we can't replace Yu with it I do believe we can cobble together a solid rotation. Maybe I'm way wrong, but in terms of building for the future while cutting spending and still trying to be quasi-competitive you're gonna have to take some risks, and this seems like the best place to get unexpected results.

Wil Myers has a 27% K rate (more than the Cubs team rate) and is projected for 30% this year.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 pm

squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Gilby wrote:

Wil Myers has a 27% K rate (more than the Cubs team rate) and is projected for 30% this year.

I guess in my really quick research on FGs to make that post, I shouldn't have used Javy Baez as the benchmark to compare him to (I was looking at more of z-contact% and o-contact% rates rather than K rate) Nevermind then
Last edited by UMFan83 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:48 pm

The Wil Myers thing really just grinds my gears. Why would they need to take on that contract to get Adrian horsefeathers Morejon and Jake horsefeathers Croneworth? Who is this sport for anymore?
2 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read "TOM RICKETTS' A SIMP"
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:00 pm

I know it's just how the business works, and maybe the Cubs even talked to him about it and he's ok with it, but there's something so gross about giving the dude a huge "we want you here" pitch in free agency and then trading him a couple years later.
0 x

Return to “Transactions”