Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2966
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1191
x 1752

Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:13 pm

0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30523
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 48
x 6223
Contact:

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:23 pm

career high for dongs was on the 2017 trashcan banging astros :-k
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2966
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1191
x 1752

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:24 pm

Marisnick has a phenomenal glove and is ~average at the plate against lefties. So while Marisnick is a little better, in terms of roster fit this is a pretty much 1 for 1 replacement with Almora. Just trade a bunch of weak grounders for strikeouts.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62874
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3572
x 12872

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm

Bertz wrote:Marisnick has a phenomenal glove and is ~average at the plate against lefties. So while Marisnick is a little better, in terms of roster fit this is a pretty much 1 for 1 replacement with Almora. Just trade a bunch of weak grounders for strikeouts.

this guy sucks balls but I like that last bit
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 10
x 218

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby champaignchris » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:11 pm

He’s fine for a fourth outfielder.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2966
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1191
x 1752

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Bertz » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm



I'm hoping that from here we follow with a LH infielder to upgrade over Vargas.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9586
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 954
x 977

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:28 pm

Oh another sharp signing, love the defense. I don't care what no one says, I like what they've done with the OF and bullpen

Who was the catcher he laid out a few years ago?
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9418
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1777
x 930

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby javy knows my name » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:49 pm

Image
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30523
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 48
x 6223
Contact:

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:10 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Who was the catcher he laid out a few years ago?


ah, he's the guy that tried to murder Cubs legend Jonathan Lucroy

Image

0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 182
x 170

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby ChiCubsFan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Unintentionally?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 16051
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 7850
x 2595

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby The Logan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:52 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1359866906468093957?s=19


Image
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28120
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9311
x 6186

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:29 pm

He sucks but can serve a purpose against LHP/late inning defense. With him, Ervin and KB it’s nice to have some OF options vs LHP since all of Joc, Happ and Heyward struggle vs them.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62874
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3572
x 12872

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:33 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:He sucks but can serve a purpose against LHP/late inning defense. With him, Ervin and KB it’s nice to have some OF options vs LHP since all of Joc, Happ and Heyward struggle vs them.

Pretty cool to have a starting OF that struggles against LHP across the board. Ideal roster building, imo.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28120
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9311
x 6186

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:38 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:He sucks but can serve a purpose against LHP/late inning defense. With him, Ervin and KB it’s nice to have some OF options vs LHP since all of Joc, Happ and Heyward struggle vs them.

Pretty cool to have a starting OF that struggles against LHP across the board. Ideal roster building, imo.

At least they have the potential to platoon basically all of them with the roster construction? Bryant has a 159 wRC+ vs LHP for his career, Marisnick at 93 plus elite defense, Ervin at 113. Would assume lineups would be something like this.

Vs RHP

1. Happ CF
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Javy SS
5. Joc LF
6. Willy C
7. Heyward RF
8. Bote/Nico/FA TBD 2B

Vs LHP

1. KB LF
2. Rizzo 1B
3. Javy SS
4. Willy C
5. Ervin RF
6. Bote 3B
7. Nico 2B
8. Marisnick CF
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62874
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3572
x 12872

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:06 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:He sucks but can serve a purpose against LHP/late inning defense. With him, Ervin and KB it’s nice to have some OF options vs LHP since all of Joc, Happ and Heyward struggle vs them.

Pretty cool to have a starting OF that struggles against LHP across the board. Ideal roster building, imo.

At least they have the potential to platoon basically all of them with the roster construction? Bryant has a 159 wRC+ vs LHP for his career, Marisnick at 93 plus elite defense, Ervin at 113. Would assume lineups would be something like this.

Vs RHP

1. Happ CF
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Javy SS
5. Joc LF
6. Willy C
7. Heyward RF
8. Bote/Nico/FA TBD 2B

Vs LHP

1. KB LF
2. Rizzo 1B
3. Javy SS
4. Willy C
5. Ervin RF
6. Bote 3B
7. Nico 2B
8. Marisnick CF

Platoons are all well and good, but when half your lineup is based on them they are easy to exploit with decent pitching.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28120
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9311
x 6186

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:16 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Pretty cool to have a starting OF that struggles against LHP across the board. Ideal roster building, imo.

At least they have the potential to platoon basically all of them with the roster construction? Bryant has a 159 wRC+ vs LHP for his career, Marisnick at 93 plus elite defense, Ervin at 113. Would assume lineups would be something like this.

Vs RHP

1. Happ CF
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Javy SS
5. Joc LF
6. Willy C
7. Heyward RF
8. Bote/Nico/FA TBD 2B

Vs LHP

1. KB LF
2. Rizzo 1B
3. Javy SS
4. Willy C
5. Ervin RF
6. Bote 3B
7. Nico 2B
8. Marisnick CF

Platoons are all well and good, but when half your lineup is based on them they are easy to exploit with decent pitching.

It’s only 3, maybe 4 spots. The whole OF and 2B and they might not even really platoon Happ or Joc (allegedly they told him he could face LHP). The 3 batter rule helps make platooning easier, pitchers not going as deep hurts it though and getting to bullpens sooner. Seems like plenty of the smart teams platoon plenty. The Dodgers have been since 2016 with Joc/Taylor/Hernandez/etc.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9586
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 954
x 977

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:52 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Pretty cool to have a starting OF that struggles against LHP across the board. Ideal roster building, imo.

At least they have the potential to platoon basically all of them with the roster construction? Bryant has a 159 wRC+ vs LHP for his career, Marisnick at 93 plus elite defense, Ervin at 113. Would assume lineups would be something like this.

Vs RHP

1. Happ CF
2. Bryant 3B
3. Rizzo 1B
4. Javy SS
5. Joc LF
6. Willy C
7. Heyward RF
8. Bote/Nico/FA TBD 2B

Vs LHP

1. KB LF
2. Rizzo 1B
3. Javy SS
4. Willy C
5. Ervin RF
6. Bote 3B
7. Nico 2B
8. Marisnick CF

Platoons are all well and good, but when half your lineup is based on them they are easy to exploit with decent pitching.


Tbf they're not really going to platoon Happ or Pederson, let alone both, early on if ever

The only position that seems set for some kind of planned platoon is 2B

Going with a RHH OF bench is just what they needed to do with two LHH starters and a switch hitter better against RHP. Considering that both Hermosillo (who won the Angels' 4th OF job last year out of ST)'and Davis will be at AAA and AA, these guys may not even be around all year
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

abuck1220
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22413
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:03 am
x 1
x 561

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby abuck1220 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:22 pm

also, the front office (or at least ownership) doesn't give a horsefeathers if the team is good, so i doubt they're overly concerned with platoons and such.

i mean, you don't trade your best player for a bunch of teenagers and then be like "ok how can we best maximize l/r splits to ensure we win the world series."
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57227
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 626
x 7807

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:54 pm

Skepticism about the individual players or the org's real investment in winning are more than fair, but the idea that platoons or part time roster spots are signs of a weaker offense are missing the evolution that has happened over the last few years. As an example, let's look at the Top 5 offenses from different years(by wRC+), and on average how many 500+ PA players and 600+ PA players they had:

2010: 3.2 600+ PA players, 6.3 500+ PA players
2016: 3.4 600+ PA players, 5.2 500+ PA players
2019: 1.8 600+ PA players, 4.8 500+ PA players
2 x

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63091
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11647
x 6383

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby David » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Skepticism about the individual players or the org's real investment in winning are more than fair, but the idea that platoons or part time roster spots are signs of a weaker offense are missing the evolution that has happened over the last few years. As an example, let's look at the Top 5 offenses from different years(by wRC+), and on average how many 500+ PA players and 600+ PA players they had:

2010: 3.2 600+ PA players, 6.3 500+ PA players
2016: 3.4 600+ PA players, 5.2 500+ PA players
2019: 1.8 600+ PA players, 4.8 500+ PA players


yep

how does someone see what the dodgers (and just about all the well run orgs) have been doing and come to the conclusion that employing platoons is a sign of weakness in and of itself
0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1615
x 1853

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby squally1313 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:38 pm

Also, I would hope most other teams would be smarter than this, but if you are committing to a tear down, letting those 5-6 guys only hit against the pitchers they are good against will make them a lot easier/more attractive to trade in a few months.

Not that I necessarily agree with going full nihilist on Jed putting together a post-Darvish roster.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 182
x 170

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby ChiCubsFan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:53 pm

squally1313 wrote:Also, I would hope most other teams would be smarter than this, but if you are committing to a tear down, letting those 5-6 guys only hit against the pitchers they are good against will make them a lot easier/more attractive to trade in a few months.

Not that I necessarily agree with going full nihilist on Jed putting together a post-Darvish roster.


Will it though? I certainly don’t disagree that platoons aren’t bad, but I’m pretty sure in 2021 all MLB front offices can interpret analytics as simple as L/R splits. It’s not like they’re going to go “hey we shouldn’t give up too much for this Joc guy, he only has a .800 OPS” when his overall numbers are depressed by allowing him to face more lefties this year. Unless you think facing more lefties is going to psychologically affect his ability to hit righties.

Conversely if Joc does better than expected against lefties, you might be able to get a little more as teams may not see him as a black hole vs lefties like they currently do. Works for Joc since he has a relatively low number of PA vs lefties (I think <400) in his career. If Heyward gets hot vs lefties, it’ll be meaningless and rightfully shrugged off as a small sample size.
1 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4701
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1615
x 1853

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby squally1313 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:11 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Also, I would hope most other teams would be smarter than this, but if you are committing to a tear down, letting those 5-6 guys only hit against the pitchers they are good against will make them a lot easier/more attractive to trade in a few months.

Not that I necessarily agree with going full nihilist on Jed putting together a post-Darvish roster.


Will it though? I certainly don’t disagree that platoons aren’t bad, but I’m pretty sure in 2021 all MLB front offices can interpret analytics as simple as L/R splits. It’s not like they’re going to go “hey we shouldn’t give up too much for this Joc guy, he only has a .800 OPS” when his overall numbers are depressed by allowing him to face more lefties this year. Unless you think facing more lefties is going to psychologically affect his ability to hit righties.

Conversely if Joc does better than expected against lefties, you might be able to get a little more as teams may not see him as a black hole vs lefties like they currently do. Works for Joc since he has a relatively low number of PA vs lefties (I think <400) in his career. If Heyward gets hot vs lefties, it’ll be meaningless and rightfully shrugged off as a small sample size.


Yeah I'm probably not giving FOs (nearly) enough credit, but I do think there is some aspect of having to sell a move to your fan base, who aren't going to look much past the basic stats. Letting Pederson flail against LHPs to drag his average down near .200 (ie, what we're used to seeing from Schwarber/Happ) isn't going to help his trade value. Then the (overly basic) point of platoons keeping these players marginally more healthy (and thus able to be traded), though to be fair I wasn't really thinking about that when I made my original point.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 4878
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm
Location: Chicago
x 182
x 170

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby ChiCubsFan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:48 pm

squally1313 wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:Also, I would hope most other teams would be smarter than this, but if you are committing to a tear down, letting those 5-6 guys only hit against the pitchers they are good against will make them a lot easier/more attractive to trade in a few months.

Not that I necessarily agree with going full nihilist on Jed putting together a post-Darvish roster.


Will it though? I certainly don’t disagree that platoons aren’t bad, but I’m pretty sure in 2021 all MLB front offices can interpret analytics as simple as L/R splits. It’s not like they’re going to go “hey we shouldn’t give up too much for this Joc guy, he only has a .800 OPS” when his overall numbers are depressed by allowing him to face more lefties this year. Unless you think facing more lefties is going to psychologically affect his ability to hit righties.

Conversely if Joc does better than expected against lefties, you might be able to get a little more as teams may not see him as a black hole vs lefties like they currently do. Works for Joc since he has a relatively low number of PA vs lefties (I think <400) in his career. If Heyward gets hot vs lefties, it’ll be meaningless and rightfully shrugged off as a small sample size.


Yeah I'm probably not giving FOs (nearly) enough credit, but I do think there is some aspect of having to sell a move to your fan base, who aren't going to look much past the basic stats. Letting Pederson flail against LHPs to drag his average down near .200 (ie, what we're used to seeing from Schwarber/Happ) isn't going to help his trade value. Then the (overly basic) point of platoons keeping these players marginally more healthy (and thus able to be traded), though to be fair I wasn't really thinking about that when I made my original point.


There is definitely something to the optics of selling it to your “dumb” fan base that I didn’t consider. Hopefully most FO don’t put much into that, but I’m sure it comes into play particularly if needing to get owner approval on trades.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15332
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 224
x 312

Re: Cubs Sign Jake Marisnick

Postby Post Count Padder » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:23 pm

I mean, it's fine. I don't see how he's that much better than Almora for more money. Ervin can't play CF, right? I guess that's part of the reasoning behind this signing. I suppose it's possible this pushes Ervin off the roster.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests