2021 In-season transactions

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15451
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 274
x 338

2021 In-season transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:52 pm

Hey why not, let's kick it off.

The Reds just released Noe Ramirez, who they received for Raisel Iglesias. I still have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

Braves also DFA'd old friend from the offseason Phil Ervin. I assume there's no way we get him back but we did just release Cameron Maybin.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15451
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 274
x 338

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:51 am

The Angels have an agreement in place to sign Noe Ramirez, per MLB Network’s Jon Heyman (via Twitter). It is not expected to be a Major League deal, adds the Athletic’s Fabian Ardaya (via Twitter).


So Reds got basically salary relief and a lottery ticket prospect for Iglesias. Yikes.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15451
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 274
x 338

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:52 am



Rather have him over Brothers. Bring him home!
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am

I tried to defend that trade, woof, but would still say LAA's park is a way better fit for Iglesias. 24 HRs between 2018-2019 is a ton for a closer to allow, couldn't give the Reds much confidence

-----

Former prospect legend Ronald Torreyes made the Phillies roster, his 7th straight year getting some ML action
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Bear Cub
Starter
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:22 am
Location: Geneseo, Il
x 2251
x 49

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Bear Cub » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:05 am

Robinson Chirinos has been released.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13639
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 918
x 668

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Rob » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:16 pm

Bear Cub wrote:Robinson Chirinos has been released.


Somewhere this morning, TT is waking up in the best mood of his life.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57497
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 666
x 8061

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:45 pm

Whoever signs him will still have him under team control through age 44, what value!
2 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 63293
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3699
x 13443

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:50 pm

2021 In-season transactions:
Bunch of meaningless spring training releases
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:13 pm

Cubs sign Tony Wolters, a glove first backup catcher who started for the Rockies over multiple years. He can’t hit but I like that he’s a LHH anyway and think either he or Romine would be quality backups to Contreras this year
1 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

squally1313
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5023
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1697
x 2018

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby squally1313 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:46 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Cubs sign Tony Wolters, a glove first backup catcher who started for the Rockies over multiple years. He can’t hit but I like that he’s a LHH anyway and think either he or Romine would be quality backups to Contreras this year

He's equally terrible against all pitchers, so don't particularly care about what hand he is, unless he can trick some dumb manager to make a dumb reliever choice. Would have rather just given PJ Higgins (12.1% BB rate, .895 OPS in Iowa in 2019) a shot, but....whatever.
0 x

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 46671
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 95
x 3190
Contact:

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:07 pm

squally1313 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Cubs sign Tony Wolters, a glove first backup catcher who started for the Rockies over multiple years. He can’t hit but I like that he’s a LHH anyway and think either he or Romine would be quality backups to Contreras this year

He's equally terrible against all pitchers, so don't particularly care about what hand he is, unless he can trick some dumb manager to make a dumb reliever choice. Would have rather just given PJ Higgins (12.1% BB rate, .895 OPS in Iowa in 2019) a shot, but....whatever.

Career veteran backup catcher gonna like veteran backup catchers.
0 x
Spoiler: show

Image

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:09 pm

squally1313 wrote:He's equally terrible against all pitchers, so don't particularly care about what hand he is, unless he can trick some dumb manager to make a dumb reliever choice. Would have rather just given PJ Higgins (12.1% BB rate, .895 OPS in Iowa in 2019) a shot, but....whatever.


I’m not a big believer the backup catcher has to hit. Hell, believing the starting catcher *has* to hit is pretty fresh for me. I care most that Wolters can defend, has experience, and yeah generally prefer backups to be opposite hand hitters if available. I like Higgins as a multi-position third catcher for a ML debut, maybe he can close the season as the primary backup
1 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

squally1313
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5023
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1697
x 2018

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby squally1313 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
squally1313 wrote:He's equally terrible against all pitchers, so don't particularly care about what hand he is, unless he can trick some dumb manager to make a dumb reliever choice. Would have rather just given PJ Higgins (12.1% BB rate, .895 OPS in Iowa in 2019) a shot, but....whatever.


I’m not a big believer the backup catcher has to hit. Hell, believing the starting catcher *has* to hit is pretty fresh for me. I care most that Wolters can defend, has experience, and yeah generally prefer backups to be opposite hand hitters if available. I like Higgins as a multi-position third catcher for a ML debut, maybe he can close the season as the primary backup


I can see an argument for a Nico type who can come in late provide an upgrade. We aren't making defensive substitutions if we're only carrying two catchers. There's just no logic there. Whoever it is is going to start every 10 games. There's no basis for that particular game requiring more defense over offense. If it's a net positive, then he should be starting, which he's obviously not good enough to do. If you want to carry Higgins as some incredibly dollar store version of Schwarber, then yeah, can see the value of Wolters here. The rest means nothing to me.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28281
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9465
x 6264

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 pm

I only saw Higgins catch 1-2 innings in a game last week and he looked horrible behind the plate. Like Michael Barrett bad, couldn’t block horsefeathers. He was catching one of the minor league guys like Thompson too, who you’d think he’s be familiar with. Woelter’s sucks though, Tyler Flowes is still a FA. He should’ve been the add. He’s considered elite defensively and has had plenty competent seasons with the bat for a backup catcher, lots of 80s and 90s wRC+ seasons. Guessing he thinks he’s deserving of closer to a starting/platoon role though.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 pm

squally1313 wrote:I can see an argument for a Nico type who can come in late provide an upgrade. We aren't making defensive substitutions if we're only carrying two catchers. There's just no logic there. Whoever it is is going to start every 10 games. There's no basis for that particular game requiring more defense over offense. If it's a net positive, then he should be starting, which he's obviously not good enough to do. If you want to carry Higgins as some incredibly dollar store version of Schwarber, then yeah, can see the value of Wolters here. The rest means nothing to me.


I don't think that would be the thinking at all, but rather what is a backup catcher most likely to excel at. Starting every 10 games isn't exactly the ideal situation to stay locked in at the plate nor is 16 starts at catcher making or breaking the offense. Defense is a much more stable and likely route for these guys to make a positive impact.

Also also would add that if they're just carrying two catchers, defensive subbing late in games makes sense whenever possible to sneak some rest in for Contreras. We've already kinda gone through Contreras taking on extraordinary defensive workloads compared to everyone else, whatever year that was he caught like 40 games in almost as many days due to injuries and an extreme schedule, and it was ugly

Cubswin11 wrote:I only saw Higgins catch 1-2 innings in a game last week and he looked horrible behind the plate. Like Michael Barrett bad, couldn’t block horsefeathers. He was catching one of the minor league guys like Thompson too, who you’d think he’s be familiar with.


There's got to be some worry that giving a backup catcher job to someone with no experience at all is going to take you towards a guy who neither hits or defends
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8232
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:34 am
Location: Formerly PleasewinCubs
x 2
x 1096

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:25 pm

What happened with Austin Romine? Is he out to start the season or getting DFA?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:41 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:What happened with Austin Romine? Is he out to start the season or getting DFA?


Sprained his right knee a few weeks ago

Norwood got DFA’d so I guess Romine is safe for now
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

JeffH
All-Star
Posts: 3721
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sugar Land, TX
x 2
x 24

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby JeffH » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:What happened with Austin Romine? Is he out to start the season or getting DFA?


Sprained his right knee a few weeks ago

Norwood got DFA’d so I guess Romine is safe for now


The roster is still at 41 even after the Norwood DFA. There will be either a 60-day IL placement or another DFA.
0 x

squally1313
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5023
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1697
x 2018

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby squally1313 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:43 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
squally1313 wrote:I can see an argument for a Nico type who can come in late provide an upgrade. We aren't making defensive substitutions if we're only carrying two catchers. There's just no logic there. Whoever it is is going to start every 10 games. There's no basis for that particular game requiring more defense over offense. If it's a net positive, then he should be starting, which he's obviously not good enough to do. If you want to carry Higgins as some incredibly dollar store version of Schwarber, then yeah, can see the value of Wolters here. The rest means nothing to me.


I don't think that would be the thinking at all, but rather what is a backup catcher most likely to excel at. Starting every 10 games isn't exactly the ideal situation to stay locked in at the plate nor is 16 starts at catcher making or breaking the offense. Defense is a much more stable and likely route for these guys to make a positive impact.

Also also would add that if they're just carrying two catchers, defensive subbing late in games makes sense whenever possible to sneak some rest in for Contreras. We've already kinda gone through Contreras taking on extraordinary defensive workloads compared to everyone else, whatever year that was he caught like 40 games in almost as many days due to injuries and an extreme schedule, and it was ugly

Cubswin11 wrote:I only saw Higgins catch 1-2 innings in a game last week and he looked horrible behind the plate. Like Michael Barrett bad, couldn’t block horsefeathers. He was catching one of the minor league guys like Thompson too, who you’d think he’s be familiar with.


There's got to be some worry that giving a backup catcher job to someone with no experience at all is going to take you towards a guy who neither hits or defends


Fair point on Higgins being potentially terrible behind the plate. If that's the case, whatever. Conceptually, if you're only carrying 2 catchers I think you're less likely to make late game subs there. If you sub Contreras out and then something happens to Wolters (like, say, he swings at a pitch that hits him in the balls), then you're in a tough spot. Every 10 games is probably less than what a backup should actually play, though obviously I don't want a personal catcher this year because we don't have someone of Caratini's ability level. In the 20 starts a year, I'd prefer someone who can approach competency at the plate, but ultimately it's not going to make much of a difference, and it sounds like this is just a placeholder for Romine anyways.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 3692
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 1481
x 2063

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Bertz » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 am

The over/under on Wolters starts is like 5? I would have preferred Lucroy but it's hard to care.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15451
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: Bad Things Happen in Philadelphia
x 274
x 338

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:26 am

I was kinda rooting for Higgins to make the roster. I know having experience in your backup catcher is important but assuming Romine isn't out too long I wonder how much an upgrade you get from Higgins to Wolters.

Also best of luck Norwood. Another Theo/Jed pitcher out the door.
0 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

abmillis
All-Star
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Bridgeport, IL
x 568
x 168

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby abmillis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:45 am

Wolters swung at a pitch that hit him in the dick a week or two ago.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24952
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 661
x 1361

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby CubinNY » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:39 pm

abmillis wrote:Wolters swung at a pitch that hit him in the dick a week or two ago.

He'll fit right in then.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7147
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 30
x 116

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 pm

CubinNY wrote:
abmillis wrote:Wolters swung at a pitch that hit him in the dick a week or two ago.

He'll fit right in then.


Who knows they might work better than the team's bats.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
Superstar
Posts: 10543
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 1037
x 1091

Re: 2021 In-season transactions

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:24 pm



6’2” switch hitter who can play SS, 2B, and walked alot and more than K’d in the minors over 1100+ pro PAs with a .411 OBP. One of the very best prospects out there, IMO the closest to a Zobrist-esque prospect since Zobrist left the minors
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler


Return to “Transactions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests